Cimini interviews Woody

JOJOTOWNSELL

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5188879

Honestly, can Woody just STFU at this point. The only reason he keeps saying the phrase "super bowl" is to sell those 14,000 unsold PSL's. Super Bowl.....REALLY Woody!!?? REALLY?? Why cant we have a reasonable goal like winning the division and sweeping the Pats, if that happens then i can start talking about making a SB run. This whole off-season is designed to disappoint the hellout of us fans. Talk about taking the enjoyment out of winning......if we win we were supposed to, if we dont it will be the most disappointing season in Jets history.

I want to win as much as anyhone here. I want the Super Bowl this year.......but i refuse to go into a season where going 12-4 with an AFC championship game appearance and have that season considered a COMPLETE failure b/c my loud mouth owner turned into a traveling snake oil salesman b/c he is trying to seperate my cash from my pocket. Anyone who thinks all this Rex and Woody Super Bowl talk isnt a contrived marketing plan to sell PSL's doesnt understand sports in 2010. Can you EVER imagine Parcells allowing this kind of talk in an offseason!?? CASH RULES EVERYTHING AROUND WOODY.......Freakin NOBU at a Jets game....unreal!

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5188879

Honestly, can Woody just STFU at this point. The only reason he keeps saying the phrase "super bowl" is to sell those 14,000 unsold PSL's. Super Bowl.....REALLY Woody!!?? REALLY?? Why cant we have a reasonable goal like winning the division and sweeping the Pats, if that happens then i can start talking about making a SB run. This whole off-season is designed to disappoint the hellout of us fans. Talk about taking the enjoyment out of winning......if we win we were supposed to, if we dont it will be the most disappointing season in Jets history.

I want to win as much as anyhone here. I want the Super Bowl this year.......but i refuse to go into a season where going 12-4 with an AFC championship game appearance and have that season considered a COMPLETE failure b/c my loud mouth owner turned into a traveling snake oil salesman b/c he is trying to seperate my cash from my pocket. Anyone who thinks all this Rex and Woody Super Bowl talk isnt a contrived marketing plan to sell PSL's doesnt understand sports in 2010. Can you EVER imagine Parcells allowing this kind of talk in an offseason!?? CASH RULES EVERYTHING AROUND WOODY.......Freakin NOBU at a Jets game....unreal!

Woody is following Rex's lead this time. How stupid would Woody sound if, after his HC talks Super Bowl from the moment he gets the job, he starts saying that the Jets' goal was to win the division and focus on one division opponent for 2010?

Did you even think before you made this post?

Woody is following Rex's lead this time. How stupid would Woody sound if, after his HC talks Super Bowl from the moment he gets the job, he starts saying that the Jets' goal was to win the division and focus on one division opponent for 2010?

Did you even think before you made this post?

lol, you missed the point of the post....let me spell it out for you...its pretty simple....Woody hired Rex a few years ago knowing full well that he was the type of guy that would run his mouth and hype up Jets fans into buying these ridiculously overpriced PSL's. Get it now??

lol, you missed the point of the post....let me spell it out for you...its pretty simple....Woody hired Rex a few years ago knowing full well that he was the type of guy that would run his mouth and hype up Jets fans into buying these ridiculously overpriced PSL's. Get it now??

Get what? Your terribly ill-conceived post? I'd rather get the clap. Rex talked smack about Super Bowls as a rookie HC with a rookie QB and got within a half of doing it. And they've busted their asses to improve on that.

I'll listen to Rex before I listen to your alarmist nonsense.

There are 2 types of people in this world.....those who talk about what they are gonna do.....and those who just put their head down, go to work and get the job done.

By the way genius......long term marketing plans are put into place 5 years or more in advance. Woody knew he was going to be selling PSL's waaaay before they hired Rex.

And Rex was also 1 half away from not even making the playoffs. Like it or not, we were losing and the Colts coach made the decision to pull his starters. Dont act like we ran thru the league last year.....you are dense pal!

Is this a joke? Rex Ryan transformed the Jets into the #1 defense and #1 rushing team in his first season with the team, but we're supposed to believe he was hired not because anyone thought he would be a good coach, but because somehow Woody and Tannenbaum knew Rex would run his mouth and that would somehow help PSL sales? Talk about asinine.

You do realize that if Rex had run his mouth and then completely failed, people would absolutely despise him right now and everyone would trash the Jets if they even whispered the phrase "Super Bowl" this offseason. But instead, this team came within one half of the Super Bowl despite being led by a rookie QB and a rookie head coach, and yet it still took injuries to numerous CBs and the only remaining effective RB in order to lose the game. What exactly is so unreasonable about the owner and coach of this team wanting to improve their team by 30 minutes of play?

Oh yeah, and only loser teams are more obsessed with one division rival then winning the Super Bowl. It's one reason it became abundantly clear Mangini would never be an effective coach for this team. It should be the goal of EVERY team to win a Super Bowl, it just so happens the Jets think they're close enough for it to be an immediate goal rather than a distant goal, and this past postseason says they might be right.

There are 2 types of people in this world.....those who talk about what they are gonna do.....and those who just put their head down, go to work and get the job done.

By the way genius......long term marketing plans are put into place 5 years or more in advance. Woody knew he was going to be selling PSL's waaaay before they hired Rex.

And Rex was also 1 half away from not even making the playoffs. Like it or not, we were losing and the Colts coach made the decision to pull his starters. Dont act like we ran thru the league last year.....you are dense pal!

So they hired Mangini after this "marketing plan" was put into place? Sounds like you just shot your own theory to hell.

So based on your theories in this thread the Jets devised an elaborate yet incredibly risky PSL marketing plan that included 1. hiring Eric Mangini, 2. Getting Brett Favre, 3. Knowing that Favre and Mangini would fail and have to be replaced, 4. Hiring Rex Ryan, 5. "backing in" to the playoffs in 2009, 6. Making it all the way to the AFC Championship Game, getting the halftime lead with a rookie QB creating huge expectations for the season they move into the new stadium.

Woody's a friggin genius!

So based on your theories in this thread the Jets devised an elaborate yet incredibly risky PSL marketing plan that included 1. hiring Eric Mangini, 2. Getting Brett Favre, 3. Knowing that Favre and Mangini would fail and have to be replaced, 4. Hiring Rex Ryan, 5. "backing in" to the playoffs in 2009, 6. Making it all the way to the AFC Championship Game, getting the halftime lead with a rookie QB creating huge expectations for the season they move into the new stadium.

You forgot, he also had his daughter killed to gain sympathy from the fans... TO BUY PSLs!!! JOJO!!! You figured out the riddle!

DENSE! YES! You might be putting your head down to get the job done, but you didn't say what kind of 'job'. You must be a hit at office parties.

also 1 half from not making the playoffs.....rookie qb with a rating in the 60's coming off knee surgery......2 starting Rb's from begining of last season gone.......the year to year nature of the NFL.....i have a new slogan......

PS - traditionaly......Jets head coaches do a great job in their first years as coach......its a Jets tradition....go check Grohs, Herms, and manginis first years......I hope there isnt a sophmore slump for Rex....actually i pray.

And jusging by the amount of unsold PSL's out there it seems im not the only one who isnt drinking the Woody Kool Aid!

Klecko, do you honestly believe that if the Jets had 100 percent sold out their stadium then all this "SB or bust" talk would be happening?? Everyone knows the "golden carrot" that teams dangle in front of prospective season ticket owners is the ability to buy postseason tickets.......seems like a good sales pitch no?? "Buy these ridic overpriced PSL's and you can get tix for face for the AFC championship game at the new meadowlands......you may even win the lottery for our allotment of 10,000 SB tix"

its so transparant its scary!! They are trying to seperate dollars from your pocket.....Woody doesnt care about winning, he cares about how winning can positively affect his bottom line.

You're right Woody could care less if the guy could coach he just wanted a big mouth.

He'd be selling tons of PSL, if Rex couldn't coach for $hit but just ran his mouth.

What a complete idiot. :yawn:

also 1 half from not making the playoffs.....rookie qb with a rating in the 60's coming off knee surgery......2 starting Rb's from begining of last season gone.......the year to year nature of the NFL.....i have a new slogan......

PS - traditionaly......Jets head coaches do a great job in their first years as coach......its a Jets tradition....go check Grohs, Herms, and manginis first years......I hope there isnt a sophmore slump for Rex....actually i pray.

And jusging by the amount of unsold PSL's out there it seems im not the only one who isnt drinking the Woody Kool Aid!

How old are you?

Rich Kotite 3-13. Joe Walton 7-9. Bruce Coslet 6-10. Walt Michaels 3-11. Lou Holtz 3-10. Weeb Ewbank 5-8-1. Pete Carrol 6-10. Clyde "Bulldog" Turner 5-9. Great tradition. :rolleyes:

Just because a couple of guys recently did well when taking over Jets teams with some talent and no expectations doesn't mean the Jets coaches have a "tradition" of doing well in the their first year.

Klecko, do you honestly believe that if the Jets had 100 percent sold out their stadium then all this "SB or bust" talk would be happening?? Everyone knows the "golden carrot" that teams dangle in front of prospective season ticket owners is the ability to buy postseason tickets.......seems like a good sales pitch no?? "Buy these ridic overpriced PSL's and you can get tix for face for the AFC championship game at the new meadowlands......you may even win the lottery for our allotment of 10,000 SB tix"

its so transparant its scary!! They are trying to seperate dollars from your pocket.....Woody doesnt care about winning, he cares about how winning can positively affect his bottom line.

YES

How old are you?

Rich Kotite 3-13. Joe Walton 7-9. Bruce Coslet 6-10. Walt Michaels 3-11. Lou Holtz 3-10. Weeb Ewbank 5-8-1. Pete Carrol 6-10. Clyde "Bulldog" Turner 5-9. Great tradition. :rolleyes:

Just because a couple of guys recently did well when taking over Jets teams with some talent and no expectations doesn't mean the Jets coaches have a "tradition" of doing well in the their first year.

yeah im 33 years old......i know what a jets fan goes thru.....a jets fan doesnt ever EXPECT to go to a super bowl.......its never a jets fans god given right to proclaim themselves the team to beat in the NFL.....a jets fan claws, scrapes, and begs his way into the playoffs only to be bitterly disappointed......Part of the problem is that alot of these younger fans only know the post-Parcells Jets....the semi respectable Jets.....the make the playoff and win the division Jets....they dont know spike games or 15 yd penalties in Cleveland or Joe Must Go or Vance Joseph covering Tim Brown.

Im not the only 1 who feels this way....i understand its an unconditional Jets lovefest on this site but anyone who beleieves the Jets are the fave to win the SB needs their heads examined.....ive made many similar posts over the years when we as Jets fans have collectively gotten ahead of ourselves and guess what.....I was never wrong, we havnt won a SB yet. Does it make me feel good?? of course not, but i cant stand overconfident Jets fans who havnt ever won a thing acting like its our RIGHT to be in the SB this year....call me a realist.

yeah im 33 years old......i know what a jets fan goes thru.....a jets fan doesnt ever EXPECT to go to a super bowl.......its never a jets fans god given right to proclaim themselves the team to beat in the NFL.....a jets fan claws, scrapes, and begs his way into the playoffs only to be bitterly disappointed......Part of the problem is that alot of these younger fans only know the post-Parcells Jets....the semi respectable Jets.....the make the playoff and win the division Jets....they dont know spike games or 15 yd penalties in Cleveland or Joe Must Go or Vance Joseph covering Tim Brown.

Im not the only 1 who feels this way....i understand its an unconditional Jets lovefest on this site but anyone who beleieves the Jets are the fave to win the SB needs their heads examined.....ive made many similar posts over the years when we as Jets fans have collectively gotten ahead of ourselves and guess what.....I was never wrong, we havnt won a SB yet. Does it make me feel good?? of course not, but i cant stand overconfident Jets fans who havnt ever won a thing acting like its our RIGHT to be in the SB this year....call me a realist.

What the hell does any of this have to do with Woody and Rex proclaiming this team has exactly one goal, which is to a win a Super Bowl? That should be the only goal for every team every year. Team's who don't think that way don't win Super Bowls. The Jets have never thought that way, and look where it has gotten them. This team has always been so concerned about what everyone else was doing, be it the Dolphins or the Patriots or the Giants, but they don't give a crap anymore. The only thing they care about now is their team and putting together a roster that can win one or more Super Bowls. And they don't care what anyone thinks about how they do it or what they say, because they're doing what they believe gives them the best chance to reach that goal. It may not work out, but it's worth a shot and it's a hell of a lot better plan than what this team has done in the past.

Newsflash, that is THEIR JOB. So what's your problem, you don't like them talking about it? Well too bad, that's part of their jobs too and they run a team in the biggest media market in the world. If you don't like it, then don't listen to or read it.

Spare me the woe-is-me, same 'ol Jets garbage.

As far as the bolded part is concerned: congratulations? So you correctly predicted that Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini coached teams led by Chad Pennington weren't going to win the Super Bowl. Do you want a cookie Nostradomaus?

There's a difference being a realist and annoying self-loathing. It's far from unrealistic to think a team with the talent the Jets have, coming off a season that ended the way last season did, is a legitimate contender. Because that is, in fact, exactly what the Jets are.

Having high expectations and actually expecting to win the Super Bowl aren't the same thing either.

Not exactly what I had in mind

Spare me the woe-is-me, same 'ol Jets garbage.

There's a difference being a realist and annoying self-loathing. It's far from unrealistic to think a team with the talent the Jets have, coming off a season that ended the way last season did, is a legitimate contender. Because that is, in fact, exactly what the Jets are.

Having high expectations and actually expecting to win the Super Bowl aren't the same thing either.

But thats the point, we arent being sold that they are a contender, we are being sold that if they dont win the SB this year that it is an epic fail. Contender i can do all day and night, but i refuse to talk about how if we arent in Dallas this year then it was all a failure.

But thats the point, we arent being sold that they are a contender, we are being sold that if they dont win the SB this year that it is an epic fail. Contender i can do all day and night, but i refuse to talk about how if we arent in Dallas this year then it was all a failure.

Who is selling it that way? Certainly not anyone actually employed by the Jets organization.

Woody's actual quote from the article you posted when asked if winning the Super Bowl is an obsession:

Yes, that's what I'm obsessed about. We talk about it, we plan for it. It's going to happen at some point, hopefully this year.

How is that selling the 2010 season as a Super Bowl or bust year?

Sure it had nothing to do with him being a great coach that led the JETS to the AFC Champ game...

You are whacked out my friend.

Archived