Star-Ledger- Jets Explore Trading Ellis

Kentucky Jet

Jets explore trading veteran defensive end Shaun Ellis

By Manish Mehta/The Star-Ledger

May 13, 2010, 9:38PM

Chris Faytok/The Star-LedgerThe Jets have invited trade offers for Shaun Ellis in the past few months.

The Jets have invited trade offers for Shaun Ellis in the past few months, but have not found any takers, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak on behalf of the Jets or Ellis.

The 32-year-old Ellis, the longest tenured Jet, was denied a contract extension, according to the person. The veteran defensive end is due to make $3.35 million in the final year of his contract.

In the past year, the Jets have taken the approach that they will not renegotiate players

He's not going anywhere.

Not yet, next year I'm not so sure.

Also, I don't like the thought of Ellis not being a Jet. He's been consistent and done well. Never complained and has been a meat and potatoes kinda player. I want Ellis to stay and give him a chance to win a championship. This is the best Jets team he's been on. Keep Shaun around a little while longer.

He's staying put since they have no one currently on their roster to take his place. ::GoJets:

It could very well be JOHN HENDERSON that the Jets are eyeing. IMO he'd be an upgrade over Ellis. I love Ellis and what he has done for the JETS. Yet this is business and we are in the business of winning. D-Rex is going for it all this year. He might view HENDERSON as a better option for the JETS.

It could very well be JOHN HENDERSON that the Jets are eyeing. IMO he'd be an upgrade over Ellis. I love Ellis and what he has done for the JETS. Yet this is business and we are in the business of winning. D-Rex is going for it all this year. He might view HENDERSON as a better option for the JETS.

Why would you think he is an upgrade?

Henderson 36 tackles 3 sacks 2 FF Age 31 29 career sacks

Ellis 53 tackles 6.5 sacks 2 FF Age 32 68 career sacks

No thanks I

Not yet, next year I'm not so sure.

Also, I don't like the thought of Ellis not being a Jet. He's been consistent and done well. Never complained and has been a meat and potatoes kinda player. I want Ellis to stay and give him a chance to win a championship. This is the best Jets team he's been on. Keep Shaun around a little while longer.

Agreed.

I like that Rex isn't afraid to get rid of guys he thinks are slowing down and all, but a little loyalty to a guy who has been here for 10 years and giving him a chance to end his career here on an up note is something I hope we consider.

I think Ellis can be upgraded upon as much as anyone, but he's a good player. Even if we get a young stud in there at some point (next season) , why not keep Ellis as depth?

He deserves to be on the Jets team that wins a SUPER BOWL!!!!! A true Jet IMO

Why would you think he is an upgrade?

Henderson 36 tackles 3 sacks 2 FF Age 31 29 career sacks

Ellis 53 tackles 6.5 sacks 2 FF Age 32 68 career sacks

No thanks I’ll keep Ellis

One is a DT that weighs 340 pounds; the other is a DE that weighs 285. Henderson's primary job with the Jags was to play the run and tie up as many OLmen as possible. He did that job exceptionaly well. With that said Henderson in a REX RYAN defense could be devastating. He is a huge man with intial quickness. He would regularly tie up two or more opponents. That is the beauty of Rex's defense. The DLmen must tie up as many opponents as possible in order for the linebackers to go about doing their destructive best. I think Henderson could possibly do this better then Ellis due to his size and strength advantages. I love Ellis and what he has done for us over the years. But the object is to win a SUPER BOWL. If REX feels JH is better suited for the job as he sees it, what can anyone say? Rex has the desire to win a Super bowl a.s.a.p. In any event REX and Mr.T seem to leave no stone unturned in their quest to make the Jets into winners.

It would be great for Ellis to be a Jet when we win a SB, I agree. However, the team comes first. Who knows what really is going on in the Jets clubhouse and admin. offices?

I just feel that IF they are intent on trading Ellis, with the way T and Rex are loading up the Jets for a SB run THIS year, there is no way that they would go into battle with only two UDFA's at DE. ( DeVito & Pito). Thus they COULD be eyeing a veteran like JOHN HENDERSON or whoever else is out there. IF they are really trying to trade Shaun for a draft pick, they might know something that we don't.

I think the story may have come from before/during the draft. That's when the initial rumors about trading Ellis started sprouting up. This draft was allegedly so deep they may have felt it would be worthwhile moving him for a pick. It makes less sense now with no alternatives at DE.

We don't have enough cap space next year to sign our current players without giving Henderson a deal for 3 years (give or take a year). We'll be without Ellis in 2011 and we'd have to cut Henderson in 2011 to make cap space for the half dozen guys whose deals need redoing. So you're describing a one year replacement of Ellis for Henderson with either one being off the roster next year.

I'd be shocked if they're even looking at Henderson with one closed eye.

(Now watch them sign him tomorrow, lol ;)).

That would make sense... like, if the Jets had expressed even minimal interest in Henderson, and Henderson had expressed even minimal interest in playing in a 3-4.

Neither of which has ever happened.

That would make sense... like, if the Jets had expressed even minimal interest in Henderson. Which has never happened.

The Jets aren't the only ones not expressing even minimal interest in Henderson. The boards of most teams are all chirping about him signing on and fixing everything, but I don't think he's even had a visit. The Eagles and Falcons were linked to him and both have stated they won't be signing him. He supposedly had visits scheduled with the Chiefs and Giants, but the Chiefs visit was either cancelled or never scheduled and he still hasn't met with the Giants weeks later. Either he's looking for too much cash, he's out of shape, he doesn't want to go to camp or he's done.

Henderson has been a shell of himself the last couple of years. The Jags cut him loose due to his lousy attitude as well as his subpar performance.

All that's been written about Henderson the last few years is that Jack Del Rio can't find a way to light a fire under his ass. He's lazy and doesn't put forth the effort but wants to be paid like Albert Haynesworth.

I used to be a big John Henderson fan but ever since Marcus Stroud left and teams started to routinely doubleteam Henderson, he's proven to not be the monster a lot of us once thought he was.

Ellis >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Henderson for a variety of reasons (leadership, effort, performance) and it's not close.

Archived