Report: Revis wants $20M a year from Jets

jaspegs

See, if Nnamdi was worth $15M per season then Revis may very well be worth $20M per. The problem is that Nnamdi wasn't worth $15M.

So now where are all the "just pay the man" people? $20M per year for a CB when the (future) salary cap looks like it's going to be around $110-120M.

Lol.

Other than maybe a select few QB's (PManning, Brees, maybe Rivers, and the Tom Brady that existed 3+ seasons ago), there isn't another player in the NFL at any position worth 1/6 of a team's entire salary cap.

Even with Revis's rookie holdout, I guess it turns out that Tannenbaum wasn't such a fool after all for forcing that 6th year on him. $1M this year, $5M in 2011 and then, if Revis reaches every single incentive, $15M in 2012. Then in 2013 we can always franchise him (assuming the franchise tag still exists as it does today) for $18M IF he gets $15M in 2012; otherwise it'll be $5M less. And all that without any additional financial risk to the team should (God forbid) Revis sustain a career-ending injury.

We already have Revis locked up for (an absolute maximum of) $21M for the 3 upcoming seasons and $39M for the next 4 years by franchise tagging him after that. In my book, that IS already locking him up long-term.

There is really no incentive for the Jets to lock him up today at $20M per season. It's not just that he isn't worth $20M/season. He isn't worth $20M/season when we already have him locked up for half that.

Thank you sperm. This makes me feel alot better. "Hey wait, thats my wifes line".

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have zero interest in paying Revis anywhere close to that. Like sperm said, lets take his next 3 years of him playing at his peak and let some other team pay him some astronomical money 3 years from now he's declining.

I actually started a thread about this earlier in the offseason. I'd rather us be done with Revis when his contract is up than paying him money for what he already did.

See, if Nnamdi was worth $15M per season then Revis may very well be worth $20M per. The problem is that Nnamdi wasn't worth $15M.

So now where are all the "just pay the man" people? $20M per year for a CB when the (future) salary cap looks like it's going to be around $110-120M.

Lol.

Other than maybe a select few QB's (PManning, Brees, maybe Rivers, and the Tom Brady that existed 3+ seasons ago), there isn't another player in the NFL at any position worth 1/6 of a team's entire salary cap.

Even with Revis's rookie holdout, I guess it turns out that Tannenbaum wasn't such a fool after all for forcing that 6th year on him. $1M this year, $5M in 2011 and then, if Revis reaches every single incentive, $15M in 2012. Then in 2013 we can always franchise him (assuming the franchise tag still exists as it does today) for $18M IF he gets $15M in 2012; otherwise it'll be $5M less. And all that without any additional financial risk to the team should (God forbid) Revis sustain a career-ending injury.

We already have Revis locked up for (an absolute maximum of) $21M for the 3 upcoming seasons and $39M for the next 4 years by franchise tagging him after that. In my book, that IS already locking him up long-term.

There is really no incentive for the Jets to lock him up today at $20M per season. It's not just that he isn't worth $20M/season. He isn't worth $20M/season when we already have him locked up for half that.

Is Revis really only going to get paid 1 mm next year though? I mean if there was ever a time/reason to sit out a year wouldn't this be it?

Is Revis really only going to get paid 1 mm next year though? I mean if there was ever a time/reason to sit out a year wouldn't this be it?

Not necessarily. It might cost him at least $5M of that maximum contract value in 2012. If that's the case, then long-term he might lose $6M by sitting out this year, not $1M.

Lol.

Glad you said all of this, because I was thinking the same when reading through this thread. Assuming there's still a tag, Revis is ours for at least the next 4 years for much less than what he's asking for. And the fact is, his value is at an absolute peak now. There's almost no realistic way he can improve upon what he has already done. Years from now when he would be up for a new deal, he's going to be older and very possibly not as good as he was just last year. There's very little incentive for the Jets to renegotiate now if these are going to be his demands.

Oh, and the other point is if Revis wants a new deal he has to agree to a contract length that will bring him to the end of his prime playing years. A 3 or 4 year deal just isn't going to cut it, because the Jets already essentially have him for that long. If he gets his new deal he also has to realize he's here to stay, and his deal won't be changing again any time in the future.

This is what happens when the media and the world tells you you're the absolute best. Revis deserves 20 million a year, he's just that good. But deserve's got nothing to do with it. That's a crippling contract.

I've heard this line before. ;)

The thing thats so messed up is that Revis is making nothing this year (~1mm reported I believe?) which is obviously absurd considering his talent...but given the fact that no one knows what the new CBA/cap situation will be its hard to extend him.

Is there a way to boost his salary this year and then try and work something out when the CBA is announced?

Probably not on a rookie contract. If you had more un-guaranteed money, you could guarantee it and give him more money now.

I have zero interest in paying Revis anywhere close to that. Like sperm said, lets take his next 3 years of him playing at his peak and let some other team pay him some astronomical money 3 years from now he's declining.

And what is his incentive for playing at his peak when the Jets not willing to pay him? Why should he risk injury?

He takes half the field away which greatly enhances Ryan's D.

Not necessarily. It might cost him at least $5M of that maximum contract value in 2012. If that's the case, then long-term he might lose $6M by sitting out this year, not $1M.

Sperm why would he sit out?

He can come back in Week 10 and get the full year of credit and be a year closer to leaving. With a lot less wear and tear.

I am sure it will go over well when Wilson comes in and makes more.

20 mil per is a great starting point if Revis really wants 15 Mil per.

Exactly.

The Jets knew this was coming and thats why Wilson was the first pick.

It wasn't the original plan to draft a CB round 1. They were targeting Ducasse at 29, and thanks to idiots like the Patriots NOT taking him, Wilson fell into the Jets' laps.

At no point was taking Kyle Wilson a move to eventually replace Revis. If anything, he's here to make it so that burnable Lowery is NOT our nickle corner, become our new punt returner, and perhaps to eventually replace CROMARTIE when he's at the end of his contract.

I don't understand this thread. Revis is under contract for next year with the option to buy back the last two years. He plays next year, the year after no NFL because of the labor lockout and the year after that the world ends. Easy, nothing to worry about.

I say let him play out his contract and then franchise him for a year and then let him walk. He'll be old and overrated by then.

Its not realistic to say that Revis will play at last years level for very long.

I say let him play out his contract and then franchise him for a year and then let him walk. He'll be old and overrated by then.

Its not realistic to say that Revis will play at last years level for very long.

Old and overrated at 28? Not saying that's a bad tactic but Revis will likely be at his best at that point.

If Charles Woodson can have one of his best seasons at 33, then there's NO WAY you can say Revis will be "old" at the end of his current deal. No way.

Revis's agent is doing his job right now. What with the veiled threat of a holdout and now this large demand, the Jets are probably going to end up paying him significantly more than originally thought.

Still, I think both parties will meet in the middle, and fairly soon.

Lol.

I am not 100% positive but I think I heard somewhere that if we buy back the 2 years that he voided, or will void we lose the right to Franchise tag him per the writing in the contract that was the only reason why Revis excepted that 6 year with the buyout/buyback clause.

I am not 100% positive but I think I heard somewhere that if we buy back the 2 years that he voided, or will void we lose the right to Franchise tag him per the writing in the contract that was the only reason why Revis excepted that 6 year with the buyout/buyback clause.

You are correct, sir.

If the contract voids after the fourth year based on playing time (which it will), then the Jets lose the ability to tag Revis at the end of the contract.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2007/08/17/details-out-on-darrelle-revis-contract/

I don't understand this thread. Revis is under contract for next year with the option to buy back the last two years. He plays next year, the year after no NFL because of the labor lockout and the year after that the world ends. Easy, nothing to worry about.

Exactly. LOL

This could potentially be the last season of NFL football EVER! With 2012 coming and all....

Wow. 20 million a year. I dont think the Jets can do this to be honest. You can sign 3 to 4 quality starters for that same price. In otherwords, the Jets will not be able to maneuver with that type of contract.

Darrelle Revis on a business level MORE than deserves this contract just for the fact that if you remove him from the equation our defense would be totally different and would have to play much more safer. On the other hand, Darrelle is yet and still a "piece of the puzzle", and for the betterment of the team to gather talent this would be a disaster.

Truth be told though, Al Davis has indirectly created a massive problem for us because Nnamdi shouldnt have gotten 15 million in the first place, not because he didnt deserve it, but when you start judging your players on a financial level it becomes a ripple effect throughout the league. Yea Darrelle is the best CB by far in the league,...problem is he doesnt play offense so his contract will hinder both sides of the ball.

This isnt good.

what happened to playing out your contract and going into free agency???

The "franchise Tag" happened. Players now know that if they respect and play through their contract that they will have "no say" in their possibility for free agency. If you want to test the market, or leave all together you cant do that unless the team "allows" you to.

Look at Vince Wilfork for example, he wanted out of NE since before the start of last seaon. He even stated at the end of this season that "franchising me would be a slap in the face"....what did New England do??? They franchised him.

This is a situation where players CANT wait til the end of their contract and test the market given the tag, so now you have to break the bank early because players know that when you're 27-28 years old and your contract is up you can be slapped with the tag a couple times, the team can get the last bit of good years out of you and no other team is going to give you a big contract at that age.

Oh the web the NFL has weaved.

well, he'd be dumb to ask for something potentially lower than the jets would be willing to do, so I think he covered that base :)

you know what, we can't sign revis at a crazy number if it means losing another of the core guys

if he weants to be the highest paid player in the league, let someone else pay him

before you jump done my throat, pick a player you would be willing to see walk, and explain how the jets would be better off keeping revis and losing that player

brick

mangold

harris

The "franchise Tag" happened. Players now know that if they respect and play through their contract that they will have "no say" in their possibility for free agency. If you want to test the market, or leave all together you cant do that unless the team "allows" you to.

Look at Vince Wilfork for example, he wanted out of NE since before the start of last seaon. He even stated at the end of this season that "franchising me would be a slap in the face"....what did New England do??? They franchised him.

This is a situation where players CANT wait til the end of their contract and test the market given the tag, so now you have to break the bank early because players know that when you're 27-28 years old and your contract is up you can be slapped with the tag a couple times, the team can get the last bit of good years out of you and no other team is going to give you a big contract at that age.

Oh the web the NFL has weaved.

Villain unfortunatly we cant tag Revis if we buy back those 2 voided years it is in the contract that we cant Franchise him. So its either sign him long term or let him play for 3 years and hit FA at 1 mill 5 mill and 15 mill respectively and then probably see ya in NE.

well, he'd be dumb to ask for something potentially lower than the jets would be willing to do, so I think he covered that base :)

you know what, we can't sign revis at a crazy number if it means losing another of the core guys

if he weants to be the highest paid player in the league, let someone else pay him

before you jump done my throat, pick a player you would be willing to see walk, and explain how the jets would be better off keeping revis and losing that player

brick

mangold

harris

The Jets are better with Revis, and without one of the 3 you list, instead of the reverse.

Revis ELIMINATES 60% of the teams in the NFL's passing game. Those teams with 1very good WR have their passing game eliminated.

Villain unfortunatly we cant tag Revis if we buy back those 2 voided years it is in the contract that we cant Franchise him. So its either sign him long term or let him play for 3 years and hit FA at 1 mill 5 mill and 15 mill respectively and then probably see ya in NE.

Thanks for the info. I didnt know that. Generally speaking though, I think the "Franchise Tag" is a huge problem.

It wasn't the original plan to draft a CB round 1. They were targeting Ducasse at 29, and thanks to idiots like the Patriots NOT taking him, Wilson fell into the Jets' laps.

At no point was taking Kyle Wilson a move to eventually replace Revis. If anything, he's here to make it so that burnable Lowery is NOT our nickle corner, become our new punt returner, and perhaps to eventually replace CROMARTIE when he's at the end of his contract.

McCourty is the better player.

If Revis is a holdout Wilson will be taking his place.

Archived