Report: Revis wants $20M a year from Jets

jaspegs

This.

Revis does not get the "oh he's only a CB" treatment. Guy is easily one of the most valuable players in football regardless of position. Who else can do what he does consistently? I've sure as hell never seen it. Guy will match up with whoever you put in front of him and shut him down.

If it comes down to getting rid of someone, it's Harris, no questions asked. Easily the lst expendable out of Revis, Brick or Mangold.

But he is just a CB. Namdi isn't THAT much worse than him, if he even is worse at all. I know we're Jets fans here, but Asomugha has been more proven for longer, and his team still blows.

How often does the team with the best CB in the league win the SB? The Pats and Eagles always just get rid of their CBs and go for pass rushing instead.

I dunno, I think the price will go down and it's not really my job to figure out how to fit people under the cap. But I don't want to see a CB with that high of a cap number, actually no player should have that cap number. Remember he's asking for an average there, and some people are saying it's okay if it's a few million lower than that.

But in reality, I doubt there are many players in the league that have average salaries over even $12M, and those players are probably all QBs, maybe a few really big time pass rushers.

If the Jets can fit Revis under the cap that is one thing. But then what do you do in say 3 years if Sanchez becomes a Pro Bowl QB? What about Kyle Wilson, if he does well do you give him a new contract too?

The Jets should just call Revis' bluff and force him to play out the year, see what the bargaining agreement is, and then take it from there. I'm not sure exactly what the terms are, but the guy is still under contract at least this year, and I think the next 2 years at a hefty salary on the buybacks, unless that is off the table now or something. Even if it is, you still wait and see.

There is very little likehood Revis repeats his performance from last year. His price will go down, not up.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i can live without Cro, Holmes and Edwards. What have they proven as Jets?

Revis, mangold Brick and maybe Harris are the "must signs" in my book.

Cro is a one year deal. The kid we drafted from Piscataway will be the starting #2 CB in 2011.

Holmes & Edwards - one of them will have to be a Jet for the long-run. We need a legit #1 wr.

Revis - must-sign

Brick - must-sign

Mangold - great player but easier to replace than Brick or Revis

Harris - very good player but you can find good ILB's in free agency or the draft, just stay away from the boar-hunters.

Picking Edward Scissorhands over Harris is one of those things that makes people think you just say things to get people riled up.

Harris is our 3rd best LB, with injuries in college and the pros. He's a LB. There's a million of them that can play for Rex, especially inside.

Edwards is probably our best, and easily our most talented WR.

Cro is a one year deal. The kid we drafted from Piscataway will be the starting #2 CB in 2011.

Holmes & Edwards - one of them will have to be a Jet for the long-run. We need a legit #1 wr.

Revis - must-sign

Brick - must-sign

Harris - very good player but you can find good ILB's in free agency or the draft, just stay away from the boar-hunters.

I disagree with your points on Mangold and Harris. We're talking about the # 1 center in the game and the # 2 or 3 ILB in the game. Neither are very replaceable.

Harris is our 3rd best LB, with injuries in college and the pros.

This isn't even close to a true statement.

I disagree with your points on Mangold and Harris. We're talking about the # 1 center in the game and the # 2 or 3 ILB in the game. Neither are very replaceable.

Mawae hit FA at 28...The Saints starting C last year was our former backup C, Jonathan Goodwin...LeCharles Bentley hit FA, but I guess he was injured IIRC...C's aren't as valuable as you think.

Also...Harris just isn't as valuable as people think. He's not a better player than Scott, and he's not a top 2 or 3 ILB in the league. Willis, Beason, Ryans, Dansby, and Lewis off the top of my head...I don't think any of those guys has been injured either.

Well someone is going to have to go....a inside linebacker is one of the easiest positions to strike gold on draft day and many of them are found in the later rounds. In other words, they usually have a low bust risk because of the non complex transition.

Harris is definetly not the number 2 or number 3 ilb in the game. If you think that....May God bless and I hope you dont overdose on the crack your smoking.

(I couldnt resist lol)

Mawae hit FA at 28...The Saints starting C last year was our former backup C, Jonathan Goodwin...LeCharles Bentley hit FA, but I guess he was injured IIRC...C's aren't as valuable as you think.

Also...Harris just isn't as valuable as people think. He's not a better player than Scott, and he's not a top 2 or 3 ILB in the league. Willis, Beason, Ryans, Dansby, and Lewis off the top of my head...I don't think any of those guys has been injured either.

This..

I actually agree with you on Harris, however I think due to that its possible the Jets will be able to negotiate a more reasonable contract rate with him then others, making it easier for the Jets to actually keep him without any major impact on their ability to retain him.

As far as Mangold is concerned, he's the best in the league at his position. Having him affords the Jets the opportunity to do things like cut Faneca and start an inexperienced player at LG or to continually keep from year to a year a guy like Moore who is very solid, but not fantastic, with little worries about upgrading or replacing him.

The guy makes the whole line better and just because in the past good centers have hit FA or that teams have gotten by with other teams garbage means nothing, as that has happened at literally every position. Sure the Jets got Mawae in free agency, but you can't expect that and getting a UFA these days isn't going to be cheap anyway. Mawae had also never even made a Pro Bowl up until that point in his career and still also helped to be the anchor of a number of very good offensive lines for the Jets for many years. He was a very important player for the Jets. Think about what a disaster it was when he went down in 2005 and the Jets slid Kendall over into his spot. As far as I'm concerned, the Jets should be making a serious play to keep him. The Jets can worry about locking up future players when their contracts are up, and there are certainly other areas on the roster that can be trimmed in order to come up with the money aside from a player in his mid-20s who is considered the best in the league at his position.

He's better than Scott, but your right about the rest.

Nowhere in the rulebooks does it say we can't keep 4 solid young players. The guys that will probably be let go after 2010 include Braylon Edwards (or Santonio Holmes), Shaun Ellis, Damien Woody, Antonio Cromartie (if need be) and Bryan Thomas. And don't forget, guys like Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins, and Bart Scott will be coming off the books pretty soon too, and I don't expect they'll be re-signed when their deals expire.

Keeping Revis, Mangold, Ferguson and Harris is not out of the question. Tannenbaum has taken much care with the team's finances to make sure we can lock all these guys up.

Brick - must-sign

Disagree.

Mangold's the best center in football. Brick is on a list of quality LT's, but not nearly the best - yet come contract time, D'Brick will command a lot more money because of the position he plays. I'd resign Mangold for less, and replace the LT in the draft.

Revis has to stay. Rex's dee is predicated on great CB play, and Darrell's the greatest.

I'd say that right now, at this moment, Holmes has the inside track to stick with the team beyond 2010 over Edwards, but we'll see. Depends on each player's drops. They're both capable.

Mangold's the best center in football.

Nick Mangold is the best offensive lineman in football. It doesn't matter. If it comes to it, we're going to do the same thing that happened the last time a team was put to this decision when Seattle let Hutchinson go to keep Jones.

Nick Mangold is the best offensive lineman in football. It doesn't matter. If it comes to it, we're going to do the same thing that happened the last time a team was put to this decision when Seattle let Hutchinson go to keep Jones.

Oh yes, because that proved to be such a wise decision on their part.

To the extent that it didn't it was because Jones is almost four years older which doesn't have any bearing on this.

Fair enough, although I think if they can keep all other 3 OL starters prices at a reasonable enough level, it's not impossible that they keep both. If you get Mangold's contract done now, you can wait as long as two years (if not longer with the use of a franchise tag) before having to get Ferguson locked into a new deal. They've already cut a lot of money that was going into the OL with Faneca's release and being replaced by a draft pick, if they can do the same with Woody it's not impossible that they free up enough cash to keep both guys around, especially with some creative contract structuring.

If you get Mangold's contract done now, you can wait as long as two years (if not longer with the use of a franchise tag) before having to get Ferguson locked into a new deal.

Waiting on Ferguson doesn't help get Mangold done. If anything Ferguson's fake sixth year along with the 30/50 rules is helping hold everything else up. That's why I don't understand why his new deal isn't the immediate priority.

Like D'Brick, Scott is really underrated by this fanbase.

The more pertinent point here is that Bart Scott isn't worth Bart Scott money either. Even if he's as good as you think, and I happen to agree, the most you can say is that his deal was worth it to us at that time due to the obvious circumstances. I don't see any such contingency that would justify dropping 6 per on Harris or 8 per on Mangold. Everybody seems to understand that paying market price for premium talent isn't something you do just to fill a hole. I don't understand why it doesn't go without saying that you don't do it just to stop one from opening up either.

Disagree.

Mangold's the best center in football. Brick is on a list of quality LT's, but not nearly the best - yet come contract time, D'Brick will command a lot more money because of the position he plays. I'd resign Mangold for less, and replace the LT in the draft.

Revis has to stay. Rex's dee is predicated on great CB play, and Darrell's the greatest.

I'd say that right now, at this moment, Holmes has the inside track to stick with the team beyond 2010 over Edwards, but we'll see. Depends on each player's drops. They're both capable.

Well put.

I'd also add, regarding Harris, that we already have two of the 5 highest-paid LB'ers in the NFL. It may not pay for us (or any NFL team) to carry 3 of the 5 highest-paid NFL LB'ers if Harris also wants to be in the Pace-Scott range of $7M-$8M per season.

Part of what we get with D'Brick and Mangold (as veterans) is that we don't need an $8M per season LG between them. I'd say the same thing with regards to Pace and Scott. Having them both means the team doesn't also need another $8M per season ILB.

I love Harris but he may be one of those tough decisions we have. I think seeing how well Edwards or Holmes play out this year determines whether or not Harris sticks. Also if Cromartie plays really well and the CS thinks Wilson won't ever be starter material then Cromartie probably becomes more valuable than Harris as well.

Sucks, but we can't pay everyone no matter how much we'd want to.

Harris is really good. Would be tough to see him go....out of all the guys I think Brick is the most replaceable.

Revis has to stay. I have never seen anyone as good as him in a Jets uniform. He has redefined the CB position.

Waiting on Ferguson doesn't help get Mangold done. If anything Ferguson's fake sixth year along with the 30/50 rules is helping hold everything else up. That's why I don't understand why his new deal isn't the immediate priority.

He's the most replaceable...duh. :rolleyes: Every team dreams of having to replace their LT while he's in his mid-20's and has improved every year without missing a game.

Mangold is the best Center in the game but even a good not great LT like Brick is still more valuable than an all-pro Center. Especially when it's a team like the Jets who have no depth at QB. I don't want a scrub protecting Mark's blindside and then all of a sudden we're stuck with a piece of crap like Kellen Clemens or O'Connel starting at QB rest of the season. Not to mention we already have another good Center in Damien Woody on our roster who, if all else failed, could switch back to Center from Right Tackle and all we'd need is to find a decent run-blocking RT which are a dime a dozen.

Harris is a top 3 ILB? That is not a true statement at all and quality ILB's are pretty easy to find which is why I laugh at Pats fans who gloat on and on about Jerod Mayo. If Harris wants ridiculous money he can go to another team we can draft a good ILB to replace him in round 1 or 2 of the draft.

Mangold is the best Center in the game but even a good not great LT like Brick is still more valuable than an all-pro Center. Especially when it's a team like the Jets who have no depth at QB. I don't want a scrub protecting Mark's blindside and then all of a sudden we're stuck with a piece of crap like Kellen Clemens or O'Connel starting at QB rest of the season. Not to mention we already have another good Center in Damien Woody on our roster who, if all else failed, could switch back to Center from Right Tackle and all we'd need is to find a decent run-blocking RT which are a dime a dozen.

Harris is a top 3 ILB? That is not a true statement at all and quality ILB's are pretty easy to find which is why I laugh at Pats fans who gloat on and on about Jerod Mayo. If Harris wants ridiculous money he can go to another team we can draft a good ILB to replace him in round 1 or 2 of the draft.

I agree that out of all who need a new deal D'Brick and Revis are the most imminent. Harris has great value to this team, top 3 ILB monetary value? I don't think so. I believe that hitting on an above average ILB in the draft carries a far greater percent than hitting on a top-tier LT to protect the most prized position on the field.

I agree that out of all who need a new deal D'Brick and Revis are the most imminent. Harris has great value to this team, top 3 ILB monetary value? I don't think so. I believe that hitting on an above average ILB in the draft carries a far greater percent than hitting on a top-tier LT to protect the most prized position on the field.

Harris is a very good player but as far as value goes Brick and Revis are both easily more valuable. Like Sperm Edwards said earlier how many top-paid LB's is our defense supposed to have?

Archived