Will Gholston Have a Productive Season at DE?

TNJet

I always felt that if he played enough snaps he would merely just fall ass-backwards into a couple sacks.. I was wrong. But, I do subscribe to the belief that once he gets his first big sack that they'll start flowing. So ya sure, what the hell, why not, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he gets 5+ this year. And boom goes the dynamite.

Not sure who mentioned it in another thread, about VG never having a job and how it could possibly play a role into his lack of passion, but they should throw his ass on a farm, being a bouncer, working the loading docks at a cysco or doing some construction. That'll scare him straight. I remember working in a steel mill the summer after I graduated high school and before heading off to undergrad; everyone there was great and made sure to tell me to stay my ass in school. Like Mardy Gilyard, working 3 jobs just to be able to stay in school and play, he knows what lies on the other side after football.

maybe.

This seems like a ridiculous answer, but I think its the only viable one. I have no idea what VG will do this season. His move to DE and his performance in todays OTA's have me thinking it might be a win win for him and the Jets.

But then, I come back to reality.

Not sure who mentioned it in another thread, about VG never having a job and how it could possibly play a role into his lack of passion, but they should throw his ass on a farm, being a bouncer, working the loading docks at a cysco or doing some construction. That'll scare him straight. I remember working in a steel mill the summer after I graduated high school and before heading off to undergrad; everyone there was great and made sure to tell me to stay my ass in school. Like Mardy Gilyard, working 3 jobs just to be able to stay in school and play, he knows what lies on the other side after football.

I hear ya, problem is...the guy has already made more money than most people make in their entire lifetime.

VG did what he was asked to do while Pace was out of the line up and helped make some BIG holes for our LB'ers to run through. Dont see why he cant do the same this season. He's not a good Football player, this is true, but he's strong enough to help make some players on the D that play toward the LOS have an easier time at getting to the QB or RB.

That said, I'm not expecting much.

I find it pretty ridiculous that he still gets some support. The guy is so stiff on the football field it's unbelievable. All the physical talent an straight line speed in the world will not make up for that. He can't get off blocks, he can't adjust to make tackles and he sure as hell can't rush the passer. Not to mention he has the football instinct of a labrador.

He's horrible and he wont be playing football for too much longer. The scouting report was what it was - Boom or bust, there was never going to be a middle ground with this guy and he has busted in the worst way possible.

Yes

I believe so as well. He's not only playing at his natural position but he's also playing to continue his NFL career. This is a make or break season and I think that he does want to play football.

Think about it, you're preparing more than actually playing football games. We havent heard a peep about him not competing in practice, or being late etc. It simply seemed to me that Mangini as well as Rex tried to make him more than what he is.

If we go by last years numbers, I agree that he could get 5 sacks, putting him at #5 on the team.

Just to throw out a prediction I think our player sack ranges are going to look like:

Ellis - 5-8

Jenkins 4-6

DeVito - 3-6

Rest of DL - 1-5

Pace - 12-15

Scott - 9-12

Harris - 3-5

Thomas - 4-6

Gholston - 3-8

Westerman - 1-4

This isn't really based on anything but gut feel...I expect from Ellis, but DeVito helps pick that up...I expect Harris to miss a couple games to injury, but Gholston showing up and Thomas playing up makes that a non-issue...because I expect Harris to miss some time Westerman should also see the field...

It's bs, but it's not like there's any real way to predict individual D stats anyway. We're obviously not going to have 75 sacks, but I expect somewhere near 60.

I always felt that if he played enough snaps he would merely just fall ass-backwards into a couple sacks.. I was wrong. But, I do subscribe to the belief that once he gets his first big sack that they'll start flowing. So ya sure, what the hell, why not, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he gets 5+ this year. And boom goes the dynamite.

Screw farms and loading docks, its working as a cashier in the parking lot at Playland that makes you a man.

Just to throw out a prediction I think our player sack ranges are going to look like:

Ellis - 5-8

Jenkins 4-6

DeVito - 3-6

Rest of DL - 1-5

Pace - 12-15

Scott - 9-12

Harris - 3-5

Thomas - 4-6

Gholston - 3-8

Westerman - 1-4

This isn't really based on anything but gut feel...I expect from Ellis, but DeVito helps pick that up...I expect Harris to miss a couple games to injury, but Gholston showing up and Thomas playing up makes that a non-issue...because I expect Harris to miss some time Westerman should also see the field...

It's bs, but it's not like there's any real way to predict individual D stats anyway. We're obviously not going to have 75 sacks, but I expect somewhere near 60.

I had a typo- as 5 sacks would be pretty good, it was actually 2 sacks to get to 5th on the team.

I think our passrush will be better, but after only 32 sacks, I think 60 will be tough.

Ellis - 5-8

Jenkins 4-6

DeVito - 3-6

Rest of DL - 1-5

Pace - 12-15

Scott - 9-12

Harris - 3-5

Thomas - 4-6

Gholston - 3-8

Westerman - 1-4

You've left out the guy who I think will lead the team in sacks.

Ellis - 5-8

Jenkins 4-6

DeVito - 3-6

Rest of DL - 1-5

Pace - 12-15

Scott - 9-12

Harris - 3-5

Thomas - 4-6

Gholston - 3-8

Westerman - 1-4

Yeah, don't forget about Jason Taylor: 6-130

Ellis - 5-8

Jenkins 4-6

DeVito - 3-6

Rest of DL - 1-5

Pace - 12-15

Scott - 9-12

Harris - 3-5

Thomas - 4-6

Gholston - 3-8

Westerman - 1-4

So Jason Taylor isn;t going to get a single sack? ****ing bust dancing fag.

couldn't agree more. put his ass in some menial job and he'll be begging to get on the field.

Ellis - 5-8

Jenkins 4-6

DeVito - 3-6

Rest of DL - 1-5

Pace - 12-15

Scott - 9-12

Harris - 3-5

Thomas - 4-6

Gholston - 3-8

Westerman - 1-4

Other people have pointed out the Taylor miss, but why are you predicting an injury to Harris. That sucks.

Screw farms and loading docks, its working as a cashier in the parking lot at Playland that makes you a man.

I want to make him realize what he's missing out on...not make him go insane ;)

I worked out an outdoor place that my best friends' parents owned back in the day, oh roughly 6th grade summers to senior year of high school and dealing with the kids and their parents at the snack bar, driving range, go karts, mini golf etc. I'm not sure how my friends' parents stayed sane, or anyone who works with the average public for that matter. Although it does give some good insight into just how stupid some people really are...it's kind of frightening that a lot of these people are procreating..a lot.

Archived