Hermie's press pass not yanked; he'll be back in 2006

Bugg

I tell you-this man just keeps selling his crap, and no one in the press will call him on it. NO ONE. I cannot tell if it's because of some misguided PC nonsense or because he's so friendly and available to the press. It's gonna take a crane, not a hook, to get this blabbermouth outta here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/v-pfriendly/story/357003p-304253c.html

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Herm's act a real winner

BY FILIP BONDY

Wednesday, October 19th, 2005

The more Herm Edwards talks, the more you know he's the right guy for this job.(or he will talk to anyone)

It isn't a great job at the moment, being head coach of the Jets. It involves more acting than it does coaching. Edwards must pretend, for the next three months or so, that the Jets are not doomed to utter failure this season.(Edwards also pretend that he knows what he's doing, but I digress..)

He must make believe the Jets can win in Atlanta on Monday, then keep on pretending through November, December, a bit of January.(Pretending is at least this imbecile's strongest suit)

Edwards has a million different ways of saying positive things, and he will need every one of them.(and by now, the Jets have heard'em all, and they ahve noe ffect) Edwards will use up a lot starting Monday night, after the Falcons, a postgame postmortem that will put the "bye" back in "bye week."

Sometimes, when things get hopeless like this, emoting is more important than emotion.(FACT-Emotionn takes you only so far, and at some point becomes a negative) And Edwards is very good at this. (Can't we just get past this "coaching " thing-clocks, gameplans, all that stuff?)It is hard to tell whether he really believes what he is saying, but either way, he is giving it his best shot.(this is commonly known as BULLsh*t) He will give the right pep talks, push the right buttons, and get his players to believe they are not one of the very worst teams in the NFL, which they are.(simply note-how is that not the fault of the guy in charge for 5 seasons? Did he parachute in yesterday?)

These Jets won't quit on him. And if he's lucky, they'll lose enough games to get a high draft pick, make a dash for Matt Leinart.(HERM COULD EFF THAT UP; AND BUSH IS THE PICK IF WE'RE SO LUCKY). If only the Jets could fast-forward through this season, they might see this was an important franchise-building year.(IF ONLY WE COULD FAST FORWARD PAST THE EDWARDS ERROR).

There is no avoiding the losses, though. (and with hermie running the show, they're a given).They aren't the Jets' fault. They aren't Edwards' fault. (NOTHING EVER IS! THERE HASN'T BEEN A LESS RESPONSIBLE GUY SINCE ST. JOSEPH!)Teams without first- or second-string quarterbacks simply don't move the ball, and can only win so many games. (Kurt Warner? Tom Brady? Earl Morrall? Jeff Hosteteler?)This is the NFL, so maybe they can steal three or four victories with an opportunistic defense. But sooner or later, the day will arrive in 2005 when the standings say the Jets are no longer involved in the wild-card math.

"We don't have a lot of margin of error," is how Edwards puts it, diplomatically. "Our offense is struggling. There's some reason for it, but no excuses."(So why do we get the above litany of injuries?)

The Jets are now more dangerous to opponents when their defense is on the field, threatening to create turnovers. The defense didn't have its best game last Sunday in Buffalo, yet consider this bizarre stat: Beginning with the Jacksonville overtime loss on Sept. 25, when both Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler were injured, the team's defense basically has been responsible for as many points as the offense.

The criterion for this statistic is only somewhat arbitrary. Give the defense credit for the points if the offense drives fewer than 15 yards for the score - be it for a touchdown or field goal. Such a relatively short drive indicates that a turnover by the defense caused the score, and not the ensuing downs on offense.

Using this formula, we can break the Jets' scoring down this way: Against Jacksonville, the defense scored 10points, the offense 10 points; against Baltimore, the defense scored three points, the offense none. Against Tampa Bay, the defense scored seven, the offense scored seven. And against the Bills last week, the offense scored 10 and the defense seven.

That means the defense has been responsible for 27 of the Jets' pathetic point total of 54 in the past four weeks. The offense, without aid from the defense, has been averaging less than a touchdown per game over that span.

In addition, the offense has been giving up points, by turning the ball over. Vinny Testaverde was a mistake-prone quarterback, even at his peak. In two games, he has three interceptions, a lost fumble and a rating of 50.6 - the lowest of any quarterback in the league with 40 or more attempted passes.

So things are bound to get worse as Testaverde tires, and this is where Edwards comes in. He has a knack for making it sound like the ship isn't sinking, that it's just momentarily caught on a reef. He can keep the illusion of a football season going, keep the fans watching.

If Edwards is guilty of one thing, it is over-optimism, which already, arguably, has cost the Jets a game. If Edwards admitted to himself that his defense is his primary offensive weapon, he would have chosen to kick off to start that losing overtime against Jacksonville.(Is there any good coach in the NFL that would tell a reporter this? DO you want more proof that this idIot will talk to anyone short of homeless guy with a microphone, tape recorder or pen and pad?)And he might have won.

That would have been negative thinking, however. He doesn't let us think he thinks that way. Edwards is Laurence Olivier, and the game in Atlanta will be his Hamlet.

TIME TO GO, HERMIE! YOU SUCK!

I do not give a rat's a$$ how positive he is. And it is his JOB to motivate and his team ready to play, they are getting PAID to do that. Stop puckering up and look at the results. When the Titans were struggling Fisher went all out on offense and defense and then his team progressed. You cannot shackle your team and make progress

Playoffs - 3 out of 4 years. The only years Herm hasn't had his team in the playoffs (assuming they don't make it this year) are years where his QB has suffered catastrophic injury.

There's nothing PC about RESULTS.

oh and spare me this what good are the playoffs if you don't win a trophy BS. You can't guaruntee winning a SB with any team or with any coach - this is the salary cap era the best anyone can expect is to have your team there at the end, playing well with a chance. No coach will guaruntee your team Super Bowl victory, there are too many variables.

Playoffs - 3 out of 4 years. The only years Herm hasn't had his team in the playoffs (assuming they don't make it this year) are years where his QB has suffered catastrophic injury.

oh and spare me this what good are the playoffs if you don't win a trophy BS. You can't guaruntee winning a SB with any team or with any coach - this is the salary cap era the best anyone can expect is to have your team there at the end, playing well with a chance. No coach will guaruntee your team Super Bowl victory, there are too many variables.

Once, this view was the majority, and Herm-haters suffered the slings and arrows of castigation. Now, five years later, Herm-lovers are screaming into the wind. Ahhh, how the tides have changed. Out damned spot! Out!

Tom Shane just admit it - you are happier when they lose than when they win.

I'll let you know when they start winning consistently. I do remember my abject misery when they fielded that 12-4 Parcells team and I could tell people I was a Jets fan without having them laugh at me. That sucked.

Tom Shane just admit it - you are happier when they lose than when they win.

Do you really think for a second it gives us an ounce of pleasure to watch this franchise detiorate under the "command" of this imbecile? No, don't give us the chances to go to the Super Bowl a few times and win it, like the Pats or the Giants. We see clearly that this man is s total schmuck and he's a HUGE IMPEDIMENT for this franchise. It's gonna take at least 1 down season, may be 2, to clean up the total mess he's made. let's get to it, or it will be even worse.

Wow, how exciting, playoffs 3 out of the 4 years. With absolute trainwrecks in 2 of those 3 appearances. :roll:

Want to vomit? Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring. All of our 'budding superstars' do not. Most coaches learn through adversity and improve to make sure it doesn't happen the next time. Many teams learn from early mistakes and make it their point in the offseason to make sure it doesn't happen to them again. Herm and the Jets??? They just wipe the slate clean and start over from scratch. An offense that has been sh*t every year he's coached. Poor game/clock management in every season he's coached. Herm is a fraud, period.

Like I've said before I'll say again, this franchise's history is so miserable, with such a history of ineptitude, that merely making the playoffs is a Super Bowl win in a majority of the fans' eyes. Pathetic.

2001: Herm makes the playoffs because of an unfortunate break due to the 9/11 tragedy. We were supposed to play the raiders in week 2 that year, rather than week 18. Had we played the raiders in week 2 they would have destroyed us the way we got out of the gates that season.

2002: We win the division on some 5th tie breaker and a complete utter choke job by the Dolphins.

2004: We clinch the playoffs because the bills couldnt be the steelers 3rd and 4th stringers.

Real convincing.

Somebody up above really likes Herm. Because the guy has had extreme luck.

2001: Herm makes the playoffs because of an unfortunate break due to the 9/11 tragedy. We were supposed to play the raiders in week 2 that year, rather than week 18. Had we played the raiders in week 2 they would have destroyed us the way we got out of the gates that season.

2002: We win the division on some 5th tie breaker and a complete utter choke job by the Dolphins.

2004: We clinch the playoffs because the bills couldnt be the steelers 3rd and 4th stringers.

Real convincing.

Somebody up above really likes Herm. Because the guy has had extreme luck.

I can totally understand with people not being satisfied with getting to the playoffs, but I take total acception to people that say the Jets "didn't deserve" or "lucked' into teh playoffs.

The rules and formulas for teams to qualify for the playoffs are quite clear and not subject at all. The Jets EARNED their role in teh playoffs, just like every other team that made them.

You are what you are. Thoise years they were playoff teams. Thsi year they s#ck.

Please don't try to change the course of history, or complain about history.

Why do you guys always feel the need to bash the Pats at every opportunity?

The Phins didn't choke, the Pats just had a great comeback. :wink:

I am not re-writing anything, but at the same time I wont turn a blind eye to what really happened. In all 3 of those playoff seasons the Jets stumbled down the stretch and backed into the playoffs due to some unusual breaks.

I am not saying the Jets didnt deserve to make it. Not deserving and being lucky are two separate things. Heck, if the bills lost to 3rd stringers they sure as heck didnt deserve it eitehr. But we were still lucky to make it. It just was not convincing.

Maybe the reason why some of you think herm is so great is because you refuse to acknowledge this.

I am not re-writing anything, but at the same time I wont turn a blind eye to what really happened. In all 3 of those playoff seasons the Jets stumbled down the stretch and backed into the playoffs due to some unusual breaks.

Maybe the reason why some of you think Herm is so great is because you refuse to acknowledge those circumstances.

JM57 THAT IS FOOTBALL!!!!!

Do you only watch the Jets?

The ball is oblong.

It is a game of inches.

Any given Sunday.

Underdogs win.

Favorites lose.

Some teams choke.

These things do not apply to teh Jet playoff years that they get in only.

Please name an event for me that happened for the Jets to qualify for the playoffs, that is UNPRECEDENTED in NFL annuals.

Heck, name something that did not happen TEN times in NFL annuals.

JM57 THAT IS FOOTBALL!!!!!

Do you only watch the Jets?

The ball is oblong.

It is a game of inches.

Any given Sunday.

Underdogs win.

Favorites lose.

Some teams choke.

These things do not apply to teh Jet playoff years that they get in only.

Please name an event for me that happened for the Jets to qualify for the playoffs, that is UNPRECEDENTED in NFL annuals.

Heck, name something that did not happen TEN times in NFL annuals.

So you have no problem with teh Jet stumbling down the stretch in all 3 of their playoff years? That is just fine with you?

So you have no problem with teh Jet stumbling down the stretch in all 3 of their playoff years? That is just fine with you?

What I am stating is that the Jets were NOT LUCKY to make the playoffs, as was being insinuated.

How the team was playing, what mode they were in is a COMPLETELY different statement than saying "You know, the Jets were lucky to make the playoffs, and a lot of unusual things happened".

The Jets put themselves in position to take advantage of other's misfortunes to get in the playoffs. Trust me, I know as a Jet fan, because I have been on teh other side of that fence when I was a Jet fan in teh past, and I certainly did not say, "Boy that other team lcked in"

You earn everything you get in this sport. As well, you earn everything you don't get. It is a 2 way street.

Just don't be foolish enough to make it a one-way sreet as you are doing here. You can't have it both ways.

The classic moment during the 2002 "sht happens" season was when Kyle Turdley yanked Robinson's helmet off and threw it!

That play handed the Jets the "W".

I can only imagine that you screamed how "lucky" the Pats were to win the SB by the "fumble"

How lucky the Pats were that Adam V has hit 2 game winning FG's for SB wins.

How the Mets should never have WS rings because of Bill Buckner.

The Raiders should never gotten their SB rings because they were a WC entry.

I can go on and on and on......

What I am stating is that the Jets were NOT LUCKY to make the playoffs, as was being insinuated.

How the team was playing, what mode they were in is a COMPLETELY different statement than saying "You know, the Jets were lucky to make the playoffs, and a lot of unusual things happened".

The Jets put themselves in position to take advantage of other's misfortunes to get in the playoffs. Trust me, I know as a Jet fan, because I have been on teh other side of that fence when I was a Jet fan in teh past, and I certainly did not say, "Boy that other team lcked in"

You earn everything you get in this sport. As well, you earn everything you don't get. It is a 2 way street.

Just don't be foolish enough to make it a one-way sreet as you are doing here. You can't have it both ways.

Scott, if it happened just one time i wouldnt care. BUt it happened 3 times. The guy can never keep this team rolling down the stretch, they fall on their faces then get unusual breaks to sneak in the back door.

Its been a trend, not an aberation.

Luck is the residue of design.

Branch Rickey

Bugg-That is one of my favorite sayings, too.

I looked it up-In teh Jets 3 playoff years, they were a combined 7-5 in teh last quarter of teh season. Not Earth shattering, but not in the "luck" class either.

In 2 of those years they were 3-1 in both years.

I can understand someone saying that in teh 1-3 year, the Jets were "lucky" to make the playoffs.

It just not hold water in all 3, though.

JMan57-I will give you a second time to corroberate what you claim

Name any instance that the Jets mad teh playofss that has not been repeated in past history.

WHAT was unusual?

I cant rememeber many teams clinching a birth by some other team losing to a bunch of 3rd stringers.

I cant rememeber many teams clinching a birth by some other team losing to a bunch of 3rd stringers.

One comes directly to mind for me-The Jets actually lost to a bunch of 3rd stringers (the Houston Oilers) in 1992 (or so), and it allowed another team to clinch the playoffs after losing earlier in the day.

This was the Buddy Ryan slap game.

Oh, well, next.

Archived