What the eff happened to Facebook?

Integrity28

I joined about 3 years ago, because I was working for a company that specialized in interactive design for higher education. It was sort of a necessity to understand the social media platform that the target audience that I design for was using at the time...

Since then, I have see that audience seemingly let their Facebook activity dwindle. The reason? Its no longer a forum just for "them." The Millennials, that is.

Facebook over the past 6 months has been invaded if you will by Gen X'ers and more horrifically... the Baby Boomers. Sorry all you old farts, but the original audience for Facebook was your kids... the reason it took off was because YOU weren't there... hell I wasn't there (being a Gen X'er myself).

Now, instead of being able to study and leverage research on how the user's I design for use social media... my users have all abandoned Facebook, and they have been replace by their ****ing parents.

Now, I am stuck trying to 1.) protect my privacy because Facebook has more holes in it than a bathroom stall at a truck stop (think about that for a second....) and 2.) avoid my aunts and uncles (from the side of the family I thought I finally outran) and their need to pry their way into my life.

Yay, internetz.

I'm 52, and Facebook came courting me! For months I ignored email invites until I finally caved and joined. To tell you the truth, I find all these social networking sites kind of lame. I guess I'm more of a "meet me at the corner bar" kind of guy.

I'm a Genx person. I got in a year or so ago...but I'm less excited lately for a number of reasons I won't go into now. So why did us old-timers take over? I think it's a case of an app built for the wrong audience from the get-go.

If Biff and Jenny have 2 classes together 3x a week, why the hell do they need fb to organize a trip to the malt shop? They could text, tweet, or (god forbid) speak to each other, or even fart morse code across the classroom.

The appeal to old duffers is a chance to reconnect in real-time to old friends not seen in decades. Without the internet, those casual friendships are too much effort to maintain over time. You have to reluctantly let people just fade away. In the 50's there was a game-show called "This is your life" where they'd sit a 40-ish guy down and watch him cry while they trot out his 3rd grade teacher and pal from 2nd grade. In a way FB brings that show's experience (for better OR WORSE) to anyone. I'm glad it's around if for nothing more than a glorified rolodex.

I don't do much with it lately because re-acquaintance seems to be more interesting than everyone's day-to-day activity. Most of my old pals don't do much that excites me, but I'm still glad I can connect if needed.

I think the human mind is capable of more relationships than the physical realm can avail us to. I don't think it's 'wrong' to look up my 5 pals from fifth grade...but for someone to try this via stamps and envelopes every day would be creepy. FB provides a casual relationship-conduit more in line with the brain's actual capabilities. It's the collective conciousness. It's the evolutionary next step for the ever growing frontal cortex. We will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

i finally deleted my facebook about a month and a half ago. I originally got it to find this chick that i met up in RI, but then it turned into something that really just ran my life. It seemed that i would wake up in the morning and the first thing i would do is check it. Then id get to class and check it again. At nights id just sit on it and look at peoples ****. Finally one night i just up and deleted it. It was the best thing that i ever did. I dont miss it one bit.

I'm 52, and Facebook came courting me! For months I ignored email invites until I finally caved and joined. To tell you the truth, I find all these social networking sites kind of lame. I guess I'm more of a "meet me at the corner bar" kind of guy.

Me too Billy. Next time I'm out to Flagstaff's Walnut Canyon I'll take a side trip down your way and meet up with ya. :cheers:

Me too Billy. Next time I'm out to Flagstaff's Walnut Canyon I'll take a side trip down your way and meet up with ya. :cheers:

I agree, but FB has allowed me to meet a lot of friends at the bar as they come back to town to visit family. Without it, those guys drive right by my place and neither of us never know it.

I block all the games and crap, and only check about 2x/week.

i finally deleted my facebook about a month and a half ago. I originally got it to find this chick that i met up in RI, but then it turned into something that really just ran my life. It seemed that i would wake up in the morning and the first thing i would do is check it. Then id get to class and check it again. At nights id just sit on it and look at peoples ****. Finally one night i just up and deleted it. It was the best thing that i ever did. I dont miss it one bit.

At least you did it for the right reasons.

My Dad joined Facebook a few months ago, I can look up the date if its important. The day my Dad does anything is the day it officially stops being cool.

I'm 21, Facebook courted me through it's non-internet bureau (girls), I hate it, I barely use it, and I too prefer to be met at the corner bar. Business and girls are really all that it's good for, and I'm not doing too much of either right now.

Does anyone REALLY want to "reconnect" with ALL "old friends?" Those f'ers come out of nowhere as if knowing I exist somehow means we're friends.

Facebook over the past 6 months has been invaded if you will by Gen X'ers and more horrifically... the Baby Boomers. Sorry all you old farts, but the original audience for Facebook was your kids... the reason it took off was because YOU weren't there...

I wouldn't be on Facebook if my daughter didn't insist that I get a page. I don't use it much. I accept friend requests from people I know, and if I used to like them I have a conversation lasting a couple PM's. Then they sit in my friends list.

My band has a page, though, with a bit of a following. It's an easy way to send out invites to gigs.

By t!ts you meant milk-secreting glands, right?

edit- I see that t!ts was not asterisked. Then what the hell did you mean there?

i said sh!t but was talking about their profiles and pictures and stuff like that .

I joined about 3 years ago, because I was working for a company that specialized in interactive design for higher education. It was sort of a necessity to understand the social media platform that the target audience that I design for was using at the time...

Since then, I have see that audience seemingly let their Facebook activity dwindle. The reason? Its no longer a forum just for "them." The Millennials, that is.

Facebook over the past 6 months has been invaded if you will by Gen X'ers and more horrifically... the Baby Boomers. Sorry all you old farts, but the original audience for Facebook was your kids... the reason it took off was because YOU weren't there... hell I wasn't there (being a Gen X'er myself).

Now, instead of being able to study and leverage research on how the user's I design for use social media... my users have all abandoned Facebook, and they have been replace by their ****ing parents.

Now, I am stuck trying to 1.) protect my privacy because Facebook has more holes in it than a bathroom stall at a truck stop (think about that for a second....) and 2.) avoid my aunts and uncles (from the side of the family I thought I finally outran) and their need to pry their way into my life.

Yay, internetz.

LOL you just made my day Integ. And I do have a page btw. Took me a couple of years, made one like 3 months ago. I look at it roughly twice a week. It is nice to see some old friends etc. In fact my best college friend who lives west coast is actually stopping by when he makes his trip to NE with wife and kids, I probably would have never saw or talked to him again without a facebook type thing. Keep in mind I'm 34...aka too old i agree in a sense. What ficking kills me is how people like my wife uses it. NOBODY ****ing cares what you did today!!! But sometimes there is sweet revenge...my wife had to become "friends" with my mother. When she told me I laughed and said just deny it. She did, and again and again until there was just too much pressure. My mother you see is certifiable nutso. Nobody really likes her in my family. I think it's great my wife has to be facebook friends with her.

LOL you just made my day Integ. And I do have a page btw. Took me a couple of years, made one like 3 months ago. I look at it roughly twice a week. It is nice to see some old friends etc. In fact my best college friend who lives west coast is actually stopping by when he makes his trip to NE with wife and kids, I probably would have never saw or talked to him again without a facebook type thing. Keep in mind I'm 34...aka too old i agree in a sense. What ficking kills me is how people like my wife uses it. NOBODY ****ing cares what you did today!!! But sometimes there is sweet revenge...my wife had to become "friends" with my mother. When she told me I laughed and said just deny it. She did, and again and again until there was just too much pressure. My mother you see is certifiable nutso. Nobody really likes her in my family. I think it's great my wife has to be facebook friends with her.

Admittedly, I have reconnected with some old friends in much the same way... and I don't necessary think that Facebook is "bad," so much as I am just marveling at how the landscape of users for the site has change so much, and so rapidly.

When I first started using it, I was connected to friends... and cursing was safe, drunken pictures were okay, stupid remarks were okay... all because we understand each other's sense of humor... now you can't do any of that because you've got employers making hiring decisions based upon whatever dirt they can dig up from your FB account, and you've got extended family and weighing in on everything you do...

Case in point... my uncle from Jersey. He had a heart condition and had to move out west because it is dry out there or some bull****. He is a prick. Anyway, I connected to him and now he insists upon leaving me notes daily talking to me like a ****ing child about how I should move out there and that I'm like all other New Yorker's and I am afraid to move away... meanwhile.... I live in ****ing Boston. Before that Indiana. Before that Georgia.

Yeah, I'm afraid to move away from NY. :rolleyes:

Or maybe he hates his decision to move out to the middle of the miserable ****ing desert and needs to make himself feel better about it by giving everyone still back in NY the sales pitch on why they are stupid for not leaving NY.

Anyway, these relatives are all on my Mom's side... the white trash side... my aunts and uncles are a bunch of low-life's either mess up with drugs, alcohol or ****ing cheating on their spouses/families... ALL drama, ALL the time. I hate them all, and have successfully kept them out of my life and business for the past 10+ years.

Now, because they hound me daily... I had to let them all right back in after all these years... because of Facebook. Blech.

Facebook to me used to be an outlet for jackassery... now, I am trying to figure out how to remove all my content and basically just leave a shell of an account in place.

I thought I read somewhere the facebook dude made like, 3 billion dollars last year. If thats true, I know of 1 guy lovin it.

Yes. The guy makes crazy money... I had the chance to meet with him, @ the tiem I was the lead designer on a site that he had a vested interest in. Cool guy...

The privacy stuff on facebook is huge. People don't realize it. I try to warn them, nobody listens...

This is true, any original works that you upload on to Facebook by the "user agreement" you automatically hand over that right to facebook.

Facebook is affiliated with a bunch of federal agencies as well, no wonder the privacy sucks.

I just joined Facebook (finally) a few weeks ago and it's working pretty good for me. I'm able to keep in touch with my bandmates and we hold ban practices over FB and throw ideas of songs we could do back and forth there. I'm also able to post videos from my gigs up there for the Jersey friends I have from 30 years ago.

Me and my son are going to have the wife video us doing Feda Payne's Band Of Gold which we were working on the last 2 days.

So as to what I-28 said; yea I guess I'm one of the old people he's talking about-but hey, I'm young at heart...

What fascinates me about facebook or maybe its just the avenue facebook provides is baby pictures. I started noticing it when my cousin had a kid, she pretty much is obsessed with taking pictures of her kid and every new mom is. Probably has a picture of her kid every single day the kids been alive. And since I've been on facebook, I can pretty much click through 5 years of pictures and see how much I've changed.

Imagine being able to go through pictures chronologically and see how youve grown from a baby into an adult? Obviously they'll be some gaps, but pictures of me when I was a kid for the most part only came during special occasions.

What fascinates me about facebook or maybe its just the avenue facebook provides is baby pictures. I started noticing it when my cousin had a kid, she pretty much is obsessed with taking pictures of her kid and every new mom is. Probably has a picture of her kid every single day the kids been alive. And since I've been on facebook, I can pretty much click through 5 years of pictures and see how much I've changed.

Imagine being able to go through pictures chronologically and see how youve grown from a baby into an adult? Obviously they'll be some gaps, but pictures of me when I was a kid for the most part only came during special occasions.

Facebook has not changed the dynamics of how often parents photograph and show off pictures of their children... I would wager to guess that you were either an extremely ugly baby that grew into an even uglier child... or unwanted.

Facebook has not changed the dynamics of how often parents photograph and show off pictures of their children... I would wager to guess that you were either an extremely ugly baby that grew into an even uglier child... or unwanted.

Hahaha. I was quite the chunker. I'd argue that my thighs were the same size they are now when I was born and I just grew into them.

Edit, I should have added Cell Phone camera's to my theory.

I just want to take a moment to say, enough with the f###ing baby pics. Most of the time the pics aren't nearly as cute as you think they are.

Archived