Is this the most talented roster the Jets have had?

gangreenman

When you look "on paper"... Im pretty sure that this team is far and away the most talented Jets team I have ever seen. Now, Ive only been a fan for about 20 years or so... But I can never remember looking at a Jets roster and really feeling like we had the talent to be a elite team and capable of a Super Bowl run.

The '98 Jets and '99 Jets were they only teams in my era that could even be mentioned as being close, but I still think this years team has better talent.

Its weird looking at a Jets roster and seeing like 25 1st round picks and 10 Pro-Bowlers. Im so used to rooting for a 2nd-rate franchise thats always looking up at the elite teams... To actually be able to look at all the talent on this roster, its scary.

lol

I actually had to google boose....

I lived through some really bad teams, this team is like a madden fantasy draft team :cheers:

LOL I just looked up both on wikipedia... They sounded familiar though.

I wish I could find that picture/link... "Mike Tannenbaum: Turning Madden into real life since 2006". Remembering how I (and everyone else) felt about Bradway's demotion and Tannenbaum's promotion and how we all expected it just to be a 1 or 2 year interim stunt... I am shocked at how good he has been. Hell, everyone was complaining that he had no eye for talent...In four years all he's done is assembled one of (if not the) most talented teams in franchise history.

This is a very talented team. The 1986 Jets might've been better, though: http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/1986-nyj

That team was stacked on offense with O'Brien, Toon, Walker, Shuler, McNeil, Hector. They had a very good OL, better P/K, infinitely better pass rush with Klecko and Gastineau...

The current Jets probably have a better OL, DB's and LB's (although the '86 'backers were pretty good, too). Much better coaching staff, too.

I'll say this much. This team hasn't played a down yet and has received more publicity then any team in my recent memory and I go back a long ways.

I agree, and I have to say it worries me quite a bit. There is a ton of talent on this team. Just maybe the most I have seen on a Jets team, but the fact is that they haven

This is a very talented team. The 1986 Jets might've been better, though: http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/1986-nyj

That team was stacked on offense with O'Brien, Toon, Walker, Shuler, McNeil, Hector. They had a very good OL, better P/K, infinitely better pass rush with Klecko and Gastineau...

The current Jets probably have a better OL, DB's and LB's (although the '86 'backers were pretty good, too). Much better coaching staff, too.

Can you imagine what Rex Ryan would do with that '86 defense? It would have been crazy...

I think the Hard Knocks thing is a mistake. It will be fun for us, but I’m really wondering how all that exposure is going to effect the team.

You kidding me? Rex & the Jets on Hard Knocks is going to be the best thing in human history. Ever.

You kidding me? Rex & the Jets on Hard Knocks is going to be the best thing in human history. Ever.

I agree. I understand the whole "fly under the radar" thing and it would be more my attitude. Mangini would never have done it. Thing is, this team embraces this ****. They aren't afraid of the press, they aren't afraid of other teams. **** them. They do everything all out and worry about mistakes later.

I agree. I understand the whole "fly under the radar" thing and it would be more my attitude. Mangini would never have done it. Thing is, this team embraces this ****. They aren't afraid of the press, they aren't afraid of other teams. **** them. They do everything all out and worry about mistakes later.

yup, and lets face it, if we get our wish, a super bowl winner, this is just a small taste of the attention they will get

my swagger lives vicariously through these guys. I'm a very modest kinda guy, I shuddered in the beginning, but now I have been converted :headbang:

yup, and lets face it, if we get our wish, a super bowl winner, this is just a small taste of the attention they will get

my swagger lives vicariously through these guys. I'm a very modest kinda guy, I shuddered in the beginning, but now I have been converted :headbang:

Also, if we win the Super Bowl, we'll be able to look back on the show with some really fond memories. People will refer to the Jets as the most entertaining Super Bowl winner in NFL history.

Also, if we win the Super Bowl, we'll be able to look back on the show with some really fond memories. People will refer to the Jets as the most entertaining Super Bowl winner in NFL history.

exactly

a dvd copy of hard knocks signed by rex will go right next to the SI commemorative issue in my officially licensed jets vault :cheers:

I go back to the very first Jets(Titans)team in 1960. To answer the question that was asked initially: YES. This is by far the most talented JETS team I have ever seen. True we have not won a thing yet but that still does not negate the fact that it is by far the most talented Jets team ever. On DEFENSE there are several excellent players led by Revis, Jenkins, Harris, Scott. Then there are the young guys like Wilson and Cro that are loaded with talent. On OFFENSE, we have a terrific young runner in Shonn Greene. A terrific young QB. Several very good receivers and a terrific young TE. There is depth on the OL. Two young PRO-BOWL guys in Brick & Mangold. A tremendous run blocker in Moore and a very good RT and talented backups in TURNER and HUNTER. Then there are two promising young OGs in Slauson and Vlad. I worry a bit about the kicker and even the punter. But there is no denying that this is the most talented Jets team since it entered the AFL/NFL imo.

Then there is the D-Rex and Mr.T tandem as well as the talented staff led by Bill Callahan. They all enter into the equation.

But they will be held accountable if this team does not meet its stated goal of a SB championship.

This is the most talented Jet roster I have ever seen. And I think the offense has more talent than the defense, I was thinking about making a poll about that.

Of course the Cowboys are stacked with talent and they never do anything. And for years San Diego was loaded with as much talent as the Jets have right now. But we have King Ryan.

Tanny has changed my thinking on building a team. Just go for star players and build depth on the side. If you get a guy who becomes the new starter the old starter becomes quality depth. Never thought what he was doing would work but the results speak for themselves.

The 68 team was absolutely stacked with the one exception being the secondary. They did however have a great pass rush 3 All Pro's, A SB MVP, A league MVP and a load of talent on both the OL and DL and at Linebacker.

The 68 team was absolutely stacked with the one exception being the secondary. They did however have a great pass rush 3 All Pro's, A SB MVP, A league MVP and a load of talent on both the OL and DL and at Linebacker.

That secondary sure did show up in the SB though...might have saved the game.

Not much depth though. This team does. The great pass rush was Elliot , Biggs and Philbin. I do not recall them being all pros though. They were all -AFL I think. Our OL had very little depth. But I loved HILL and Herman, Schmidt and Talamini was excellent in trap blocking. Sample was the glue in our secondary and I loved Jim Hudson. I also loved Larry Grantham and Al Atkinson , linebackers. But I think our current linebackers are much better. And REVIS by himself is vastly superior to that old secondary. Yet they won a SB and I am grateful to them.

This

This is a do or die year for the Jets.

I disagree. Yes, we have a lot of players entering contract years or wanting extentions, but only a handful are key guys (Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, Holmes OR Edwards), and the Jets have every intention of signing them.

Plenty of the other guys will be expendable after 2010 (Tomlinson, Woody, Ellis Cromartie, Pool, Bryan Thomas) and can be replaced in the draft or within the roster.

The Jets are built for the longterm as much as they are for the short-term because of how the team has been managed. As long as Rex is here and as Sanchez progresses, Tannenbaum can reload in 2011, or in 2012 when football resumes, and the team will be fine.

you never heard of rick terry and dorian boose ?

WOW!!!!!! I forgot Boose ever even existed. What a crazy good pull that was Larz

And to think ...

Dorian Boose: taken with the 2d rounder the Jets got from the Eagles for Hugh Douglass. Now how do you feel about it? ...

I disagree. Yes, we have a lot of players entering contract years or wanting extentions, but only a handful are key guys (Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, Harris, Holmes OR Edwards), and the Jets have every intention of signing them.

Plenty of the other guys will be expendable after 2010 (Tomlinson, Woody, Ellis Cromartie, Pool, Bryan Thomas) and can be replaced in the draft or within the roster.

The Jets are built for the longterm as much as they are for the short-term because of how the team has been managed. As long as Rex is here and as Sanchez progresses, Tannenbaum can reload in 2011, or in 2012 when football resumes, and the team will be fine.

Agreed. As long as we get Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, one of either Holmes/Edwards, and maybe Harris signed, than we will be looking good for the future as well. Ellis, BThomas, Cromartie (now that we drafted Wilson), Pool, T-Rich, LT, Woody, and JTaylor, and the one left out between Holmes and Edwards, are all expendable and will be easily replaced.

Lets go through it this way...

Ellis - DE is the least important position on the DL in Rex's 3-4...We already have guys just as big (if not bigger) on the roster that could probably do close to the job Ellis is doing now. Yes, he's a solid player and contributor, but given his position and age, is certainly very replaceable. Candidates on roster: DeVito, Gholston, Tuitapa(sp?)

BThomas - From everything I've heard the staff likes BThomas, but also is really high on Jamal Westermann, who saw some time as a UDFA last year and will get another year of experience backing up and hopefully learning from guys like Pace and Taylor for the season.

Cromartie - Pretty obvious, if we re-sign revis long-term and assuming Wilson pans out... Those are a more than capable 1-2 combo at the corner position.

Pool - I am hoping for the best this season, but who knows what he is really capable of. I expect to see the Jets make a move to draft a S next year, unless they get big production from either Ihedigbo or Eric Smith...

T-Rich - We just drafted the best FB in this years draft class. He gets a year to come off the bench and on special teams while learning under a great vet like Richardson.

LT - See Pool. I expect Rb to be addressed again next offseason at some point for depth purposes... But hopefully Greene continues his postseason success into this season and McKnight gets his **** together for the season and the two of them form a sold and stable 1-2 punch at RB.

Woody - This one is kinda tricky because my assumption is we will want to keep Ducasse at LG if he does well there. Hunter has been solid in goal-line and special teams formations, but is certainly unproven and questionable as a full-time starter. The best-case scenario for the Jets is that Slauson or Turner shows a lot of improvement this season, giving the CS flexibility to move around Ducasse and Moore... My guess is the Jets will be drafting an OL again next offseason though.

JTaylor - This is only complicated because it is unclear what his role will be this year...But I guess you can say its similar to that of Pool and LT. If Westermann can take over and be productive as a full-time starter at OLB, finding depth somewhere shouldn't be too much of a problem.

So in a way GWAGH is correct...the 2011 Jets probably won't be as talented (on paper) as the 2010 Jets, in terms of overall roster. However, so long as we keep the core of the team together, I wouldn't expect this season to be the Jets last chance at a ring either... Especially with D-Rex and Mike T still on the payroll.

Of course, all this is practically mute if Sanchez can build on his postseason performance of last season and become an elite QB in the league. Call me crazy, but a great QB combined with a great defensive coach is usually a recipe for long-term success in the NFL.

Not much depth though. This team does. The great pass rush was Elliot , Biggs and Philbin. I do not recall them being all pros though. They were all -AFL I think. Our OL had very little depth. But I loved HILL and Herman, Schmidt and Talamini was excellent in trap blocking. Sample was the glue in our secondary and I loved Jim Hudson. I also loved Larry Grantham and Al Atkinson , linebackers. But I think our current linebackers are much better. And REVIS by himself is vastly superior to that old secondary. Yet they won a SB and I am grateful to them.

Philbin was the best DE this team ever had, Biggs started on two SB defenses. Elliot before he got hurt was as quick an interior lineman as there was in either league. Philbin was all pro that year and in 69. Sauer and Namath were both All pro in 68.

Archived