Mazzone Ends Talk WIth Yankees

Smizzy

Word tonight is that Mazzone as well as Jim Duquette are joining the Orioles.

If true, the Yankees really dropped the ball on this one (If Mazzone had any real intentions of possibly being our pitching coach). Offer Mazzone the most money of any pitching coach in baseball! Who are we? The red sox d*cking around over a few hundred thousand dollars and not getting the deal done?

There's always that WhiteSox Pitching coach, Cooper. He's has a warm spot in his heart for the Yankees, and if the sox win the world series, he might go onto his next goal and become the pitching coach of his favorite team - The Yankees.

I'd still be really pissed if Mazzone signed with the O's. WTF, does this guy wanna win or what?

stole this from a yankee fan site

ST. LOUIS, Oct. 19 -- Though it appears the Baltimore Orioles were close to a deal to land Atlanta Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone, talks hit a snag Wednesday that could delay his hiring or temporarily suspend negotiations.

The Braves, according to one baseball source, are asking the Orioles for a prospect in return for Mazzone, whose contract with Atlanta expires Nov. 15. The Orioles could try to sign Mazzone after that date, but it could allow the New York Yankees -- who dropped efforts to sign Mazzone on Wednesday -- back into contention.

Washington Post

(interesting, we may not be out of this after all)

[ Who are we? The red sox d*cking around over a few hundred thousand dollars and not getting the deal done?

quote]

A few hundred thousand dollars? Are you insane? It was over several million dollars. Unfortunately, the Sox have to limit their spending. The Yanks have no such parameters. Same old story.

If true, the Yankees really dropped the ball on this one (If Mazzone had any real intentions of possibly being our pitching coach). Offer Mazzone the most money of any pitching coach in baseball!

EB50 - some people simply do not want to headache of dealing with the media and george day in and day out. i'd like to see him as a Yankee, but i told you a couple of weeks ago mazzone and ferlozzo are best friends.

If true, the Yankees really dropped the ball on this one (If Mazzone had any real intentions of possibly being our pitching coach). Offer Mazzone the most money of any pitching coach in baseball! Who are we? The red sox d*cking around over a few hundred thousand dollars and not getting the deal done?

There's always that WhiteSox Pitching coach, Cooper. He's has a warm spot in his heart for the Yankees, and if the sox win the world series, he might go onto his next goal and become the pitching coach of his favorite team - The Yankees.

I'd still be really pissed if Mazzone signed with the O's. WTF, does this guy wanna win or what?

Does he want to win??? What have the Yankees won lately?

EB, the Orioles have a good young pitching staff, which if worked with can turn out to be a very dangerous staff in the AL East. Mazzone's specialty is developing young pitchers so this is a perfect fit for him. I would be more worried about Mazzone joining the O's than opposed to just not joining the Yankees. O's got off to a hot start last year and it not for the Starting rotation faltering (injuries, inexperience, etc) they could have been in the thick of the AL East race late in the season.

If Mazzone wants to win, he should remain in Atlanta. That team has won 14 straight division titles and actually has a FUTURE.

they have a future on offense. They have loads of talent on offense but p[itching wise, they've got aging players in the rotation like Smoltz, Hampton, Thompson, etc. Maybe MBN can correct me if im wrong but i dont think Atlanta has any top flight prospects coming up. I could be wrong. But Atlanta's bullpen is also garbage, and with the free agent market this year, they won't be making any HUGE upgrades to it unless they resign Farnsworth.

I don't like the thought of him coaching against the Yankees. His track record is sick.

This is a case of the Yankees spending money poorly. Give him what he wants. I don't need to see Nardi Contreras back here as pitching coach.

Archived