Vlad still with starting group- Cimini

Kentucky Jet

Rookie Ducasse still with starting group

May, 26, 2010 May 2610:49PM ETEmail Print Share By Rich CiminiThis is the second week of OTA practices and, according to spies, rookie LG Vladimir Ducasse (second-round pick) still is working with the first unit, ahead of Matt Slauson.

What does it mean? It doesn't mean Ducasse has jumped ahead of Slauson in the competition for Alan Faneca's old job. This is strictly an evaluation period. The coaches want to give Ducasse as many reps as possible to see how well he can digest the playbook. This is Slauson's second year in the system, so he should have the advantage. This is catch-up time for Ducasse, so by the time training camp comes around, the playing field can be relatively even -- or close to it.

Ducasse, coming from a lower-level Division I school (UMass), has a long way to go. He appears to have the physical talent, but no one around the team is willing to anoint a rookie lineman who still hasn't blocked anybody in pads. The OTAs are non-contact and evaluating an offensive lineman in non-contact drills is like rating a major-league hitter off batting practice.

The media will get another look at practice on Thursday, our first look-see since last Thursday.

Cimini, since he is a moron, is missing a point.

Slauson has never started. If they thought he was going to be the LG, or even a 50/50 shot, they would have him running with the 1s 1/2 the time. It's not like Slauson is some seasoned vet who has played before, so he's almost as green.

This still scares me. Cutting Faneca, while supported by a lot of people here, was unnecessary IMO unless they thought Slauson could do the job. Bringing in a rookie from Umass to protect our $50 million man is a big risk.

Bigger even than letting Feely go.

This still scares me. Cutting Faneca, while supported by a lot of people here, was unnecessary IMO unless they thought Slauson could do the job. Bringing in a rookie from Umass to protect our $50 million man is a big risk.

And for the 50th time, Faneca was a DANGER to our $50M rookie QB. He allowed Mark to get sacked 7 times, more than any guard in the league, despite the fact that we ran the ball more than anyone else. I GUARANTEE YOU that Ducasse (or Slauson) will do a better job than that in the pass-blocking department.

first off feely sucked ass. He missed 2 kicks in the NYJ biggest game since 1998. He wasn't clutch and he's gone. See ya.

as for Slauson, he basically should have been undrafted - got picked for no other reason than his connection to Cally. There's been no actual football evidence to say he deserves to start or even have a backup role.

Ducasse has natural talent and needs to learn on the job. Can't learn much from the bench.

Obviously they did feel they would have somebody that could do a better job than Faneca, who was the worst guard in pass protection last year, despite having to protect in the fewest amount of chances.

Letting him go was a no brainer!

I'm a little worried about it too, but I honestly don't think Slauson has anything much to do with it. I'm with Bit. IMO it's Ducasse or bust.

Archived