We need to bring back the old JN

gangreenman

Over the past year or so, due too a plethora of reasons...Mainly the Jets actually turning into a respectable franchise, combined with JI becoming by the day a less respected fan forum website... We have gained a lot of new posters and personalities to the board.

Then ECURB went and found a real job and his 100,000 posts per day cut down significantly...IJ temporarily took his place, until he too started worrying about real life, and his post count has been significantly reduced. Smizzy left the board for a reason unknown to me... BP got depressed that he could no longer make fun of the Jets as they actually hired a HC and fielded a team that has produced, so he stopped being around as much.

What attracted me to this board was the fact that I am an a'hole with no life. This board at the time was filled with a'holes with no lives. I first joined a few years ago around March or April. We were supposed to be in the dead of the offseason and things were supposed to be boring. Instead I would click around the site and see Ecurb posting at literally a mile a minute, I would see DWC write a book of non-coherent ra-ra homeristic (is that a word?) Jets ranting. I would then watch him get enraged as every response in the thread had less and less to do with what he posted and more and more to do with "facts" about his personal life. He would get so enraged that he called out various members of the site and threatened to leave... The next day I watched him start a thread stating he was ready to be a moderator.

I miss those days.

I remember taking a similar course of action with the original jetsrule128. He would post some thread about a practice squad guy making an AFL team... And there would be about 50 responses, none of which had anything to do with the topic. I even remember a time when the members of this board got jr128 to get into a fight with himself in a thread about some reality show.

I miss those days.

I miss the days when people realized they were on this forum to have fun. I understand there are some lines that shouldnt be crossed, and that should absolutely be enforced. But why cant we have fun anymore?

You know things are really bad when posters on a football fan forum have to be politically correct with every post.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss it too.

I thought that this site was awesome in 2008 [earliest I was here]. Hasn't been the same for whatever reason since.

I was actually talking w/ 124 on Facebook about this a while ago, and he said '08 was the last great year here.

What attracted me to this board was the fact that I am an a'hole with no life. This board at the time was filled with a'holes with no lives.

I'm still an a'hole with no life. :D

I remember taking a similar course of action with the original jetsrule128. He would post some thread about a practice squad guy making an AFL team... And there would be about 50 responses, none of which had anything to do with the topic.

We still have that, except he moved to Idaho.

I miss it too.

I thought that this site was awesome in 2008 [earliest I was here]. Hasn't been the same for whatever reason since.

I think 124 hit on something actually... And thats that Max and his mods seem to have lost some perspective recently. Not trying to bash, as this is obviously still a great Jets site. But what attracted me was the idea that it was created by a bunch of outcasts from JI who just wanted to have fun. Now that this site is THE premier Jets forum out there, some of that attitude has disappeared over the years. Just my two cents, anyway.

I think 124 hit on something actually... And thats that Max and his mods seem to have lost some perspective recently. Not trying to bash, as this is obviously still a great Jets site. But what attracted me was the idea that it was created by a bunch of outcasts from JI who just wanted to have fun. Now that this site is THE premier Jets forum out there, some of that attitude has disappeared over the years. Just my two cents, anyway.

Hahahaha --- see my edited post. This is why I really don't want 124 to leave. He adds more than anyone to this forum, outside of Max.

Yeah, but he only moved because he was banned so many times for breaking "rules" that we can no longer have fun at his expense like we used to.

I agree. Absolutely no reason JR128 should have been banned (IMO of course).

Did anyone take him that seriously that he was that much of an annoyance? I thought that was what the ignore feature was for.

I agree. Absolutely no reason JR128 should have been banned (IMO of course).

Did anyone take him that seriously that he was that much of an annoyance? I thought that was what the ignore feature was for.

Agreed. Again though, really don't want this to turn into a Max/Mod bashing/questioning. Ive tried putting a forum together on a couple of occasions and failed miserable all three times. I know its hard work and I do appreciate the work they put into this place.

Im not saying I dont have fun here... Just that I miss the days where the entire idea of this forum was based on the "all outcasts and misfits welcome" attitude. Even in the dead of the offseason I could sit in front of a computer on this site for hours.

I blame the Greek government and their ridiculous fiscal policies.

And Belichick.

Funny, I was going to blame it on DWC. I think its when he started the game-thread early that time when I was on a 3 game winning streak that this place started to go downhill.

Funny, I was going to blame it on DWC. I think its when he started the game-thread early that time when I was on a 3 game winning streak that this place started to go downhill.

Hmm, I think the Greeks should have DWC run their economy for a few weeks. Think of all those statuesque Latvian girls he'd import. Might even stop the rioting.

To be honest, there was waay too much emphasis on the whole game-thread starters, when we should have been focusing on the times. The Jets never lost a game when the thread was started at 4.17pm Termonfeckin time, correct?

Exactly.

I don't know when it supposedly "went downhill" but I do know it would be nice if there were more than 3 active threads a day in the Lounge, especially when 2 of them are about hot guys and ugly women. Kinda homo.

There needs to be more threads.... for me to poop on.

Hmm, I think the Greeks should have DWC run their economy for a few weeks. Think of all those statuesque Latvian girls he'd import. Might even stop the rioting.

To be honest, there was waay too much emphasis on the whole game-thread starters, when we should have been focusing on the times. The Jets never lost a game when the thread was started at 4.17pm Termonfeckin time, correct?

Exactly.

DWC broke protocol on both counts PDM. He started the thread (three times - BP deleted the first two) before midnight the day of the game. I was riding a three game win streak at the time as well.

I miss it too.

I was actually talking w/ 124 on Facebook about this a while ago, and he said '08 was the last great year here.

Look at for the ESPN Documentary on JetNation: 2008 The End Of A Posting Dynasty

It is going to be riveting. :-P

Um, I will play. How exactly did we lose perspective? This is the most lightly moderated board on the internet. People can say what they want, in fact, people have left for that exact reason.

But I will defend that until the end. Whatever the masses want to talk about, so be it. Not sure how that means we lost perspective...that has always been the belief.

Hey one more thing I want to mention before I have to sign off for a bit...

I am all ears when it comes to suggestions on how to make the site better. That has always been the goal. Have fun and enjoy the site. So if anyone thinks we lost perspective or has other ideas...we will definitely listen.

Feedback is very important...and I mean it when I say we want to make it better here every day.

Hey one more thing I want to mention before I have to sign off for a bit...

I am all ears when it comes to suggestions on how to make the site better. That has always been the goal. Have fun and enjoy the site. So if anyone thinks we lost perspective or has other ideas...we will definitely listen.

Feedback is very important...and I mean it when I say we want to make it better here every day.

You should ban that Max fellow.

Um, I will play. How exactly did we lose perspective? This is the most lightly moderated board on the internet. People can say what they want, in fact, people have left for that exact reason.

But I will defend that until the end. Whatever the masses want to talk about, so be it. Not sure how that means we lost perspective...that has always been the belief.

Link?

I don't even know what the eff perspective has to do with the level of entertainment garnered from this site to be honest.

Football talk can happen pretty much anywhere. You are always going to get the following: a few guys with level heads, homers, trolls, and sky is falling drama queens.

What makes or breaks the site is the nonsense threads... It all boils down to one thing. Sense of humor.

Right now, most of the guys with the good senses of humor are pre-occupied with teh mafia games and not contributing to the rest of the site.

I've found that, while many of the guys here are cool, they are also a little uptight and would be served well by lightening up an laughing at nonsense every now and again. This is almost exclusively what I hope to get out of using this site... football talk is what I do when I can't think of something redonkulous to talk about.

Not sure how to put it. And again, I dont want to bash you as you put your own money into this site as well as your "sweat and blood" if you will. You started this site just over five years or so now and it has become the largest Jets forum on the internet in that time. So obviously, you are good at what you are doing/have done with this place.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that this place used to be more fun, in my opinion, because it was the site that was created by a group of JI outcasts who just wanted to post and have fun. An example of how thats changed... Well, JR128, DWC, and the like used to be able to write threads about just about anything without getting banned. Banned was not something that was at all common back then. Instead of banning, the rest of the board would have fun at their expense. Today you locked a thread and banned a person for starting a false thread about Fireman Ed's death. Now Im not defending creating false threads about peoples deaths... But IMO that person would not have been banned so quickly if he started the same thread 3 or 4 years ago. Would he be the subject of a lot of abuse from the board? absolutely. And deservedly so, and it would be funny. Some of my fondest memories of this place were in threads of a bunch of posters going back and forth with one poster (DWC, JF5180, JR128, etc).

Again, you built a great and successful Jets site. Thats not easy to do, I know that. You asked me, so thats my opinion. Still enjoy the place and appreciate the site, just not the same way I used to.

Not sure how to put it. And again, I dont want to bash you as you put your own money into this site as well as your "sweat and blood" if you will. You started this site just over five years or so now and it has become the largest Jets forum on the internet in that time. So obviously, you are good at what you are doing/have done with this place.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that this place used to be more fun, in my opinion, because it was the site that was created by a group of JI outcasts who just wanted to post and have fun. An example of how thats changed... Well, JR128, DWC, and the like used to be able to write threads about just about anything without getting banned. Banned was not something that was at all common back then. Instead of banning, the rest of the board would have fun at their expense. Today you locked a thread and banned a person for starting a false thread about Fireman Ed's death. Now Im not defending creating false threads about peoples deaths... But IMO that person would not have been banned so quickly if he started the same thread 3 or 4 years ago. Would he be the subject of a lot of abuse from the board? absolutely. And deservedly so, and it would be funny. Some of my fondest memories of this place were in threads of a bunch of posters going back and forth with one poster (DWC, JF5180, JR128, etc).

Again, you built a great and successful Jets site. Thats not easy to do, I know that. You asked me, so thats my opinion. Still enjoy the place and appreciate the site, just not the same way I used to.

So what you are saying is that Max and his crew "lost perspective" because you can't gang up on the dumb kids that used to post here?

The problem, as usual, is GOB. Finding the right woman has made him far less funny.

Link?

I don't even know what the eff perspective has to do with the level of entertainment garnered from this site to be honest.

Football talk can happen pretty much anywhere. You are always going to get the following: a few guys with level heads, homers, trolls, and sky is falling drama queens.

What makes or breaks the site is the nonsense threads... It all boils down to one thing. Sense of humor.

Right now, most of the guys with the good senses of humor are pre-occupied with teh mafia games and not contributing to the rest of the site.

I've found that, while many of the guys here are cool, they are also a little uptight and would be served well by lightening up an laughing at nonsense every now and again. This is almost exclusively what I hope to get out of using this site... football talk is what I do when I can't think of something redonkulous to talk about.

Im sure that is part of it as well. At this time I would like to switch my blame from DWC to the mafia threads.

So what you are saying is that Max and his crew "lost perspective" because you can't gang up on the dumb kids that used to post here?

Yeah, too many smart posters these days... Not as entertaining trying to make fun of people with intelligence that will give me coherent responses and the like.

Tell my boss to give me the day off, I will ruffle as many feathers as I can in 24 hours!

This site and its leaders have not changed, the JETS and ourselves have changed.

The Jets have changed, that is for sure. As I mentioned, theres no longer Herm or Mangini and their crews of incoherence to make fun of... So that is part of it as well.

But whats there to do on a boring offseason day when we cant all make fun of someone?

We had our shot with that guy DBrick...And let it pass. Im dissappointed in us.

The Jets have changed, that is for sure. As I mentioned, theres no longer Herm or Mangini and their crews of incoherence to make fun of... So that is part of it as well.

But whats there to do on a boring offseason day when we cant all make fun of someone?

We had our shot with that guy DBrick...And let it pass. Im dissappointed in us.

Without Herm, Chad, Mangini, Drob, etc...

It is impossible to have the action we used to here... the team is too damn good... lol

Archived