*** Official 2010 World Cup Thread ***

The Gun Of Bavaria

Germany kicked England's arse up and down the pitch

England was cheated out of a goal but it really didn't matter. They're clearly inferior and cannot keep up with the German counter

England has great talent in terms of individuals, but they are not really very good as a team.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I missed the first 10 minutes of the game that everyone is complaining about. From the parts I watched the US played well and lost to a quality opponent. Ghana is no offensive powerhouse but they are a good team.

I haven't watched this Rossi kid that everyone is talking about play but it sounds like if we had him for this WC we might have done some damage since he sounds like he's the missing piece.

The US really missed Charlie Davies. He's got a killer instinct around the goal that our current strikers do not possess and he is a much better compliment to Altidore up top.

Glad to see Germany smash England today. If Argentina wins today that sets up a hell of match between them and the Germans in the quarters.

picture2ki.png

First de Valera and now you. Peter Crouch's lanky magic will soon have you split in two.

Wonder why he hasn't got a Fermanagh bogball avatar? Oh right......:rl:

Germany kicked England's arse up and down the pitch

England was cheated out of a goal but it really didn't matter. They're clearly inferior and cannot keep up with the German counter

England has great talent in terms of individuals, but they are not really very good as a team.

The goal was long delayed justice for that goal that wasn't in 1966. :mrgreen:

Loved watching that game, couldn't happen to a more deserving shower of b*****ds. I wouldn't want to be a Uruguayan in England right now. The only thing is, with the English mentality, they'll not accept they were humilated by a vastly superior team. Nope, it was Johnny Foreigner linesman robbed them of a goal, which cost them a World Cup. F**k them, they're out, and the US did better than them in the World Cup. And they're already demanding Capello be sacked. :rl:

Missed last night's game, as I was at an utterly mental game down in Athlone. Monaghan United did their best England impersonation for 3/4 of the game. Down 4-0 with 18 minutes to go, came back and got the equaliser with the last kick of the game.

The US really missed Charlie Davies. He's got a killer instinct around the goal that our current strikers do not possess and he is a much better compliment to Altidore up top.

Glad to see Germany smash England today. If Argentina wins today that sets up a hell of match between them and the Germans in the quarters.

Word.

A good case of what might have been.

What might have been the US chances with a fully healthy and in form Onyewu and Davies?

I am not saying they would have won the cup, but you had to like their chances at least getting a little further.

****ing hilarious, absolutely brilliant.

England were an absolute shambles defensively. Matthew Upson and international footballer? LMAO Glan Johnson? What a shocking defender.

I love hearing these thick ****s on the radio saying that Lampard and Rooney are average players. Rooney wasn't fit. He hasn't been since he done his ankle in Munich. He's still tear it up for United in a few months.

The US National Team has got a bright future ahead. We'll be losing guys like Cherundolo and Bocanegra, but little else.

We'll bring back Howard, Altidore, Onyewu, Bradley, Feilhaber, Bornstein, Edu and add Davies as the core of our team. Donovan and Dempsey will be old but effective too. Also throw in Adu and some talented kids off our U-17 team and we're looking solid.

Too bad 2014 will be in Brazil; unless we completely avoid their side of the bracket like we did this time around there's no getting past that machine in their own backyard.

Wonder why he hasn't got a Fermanagh bogball avatar? Oh right......:rl:

I looked up bogball and got this:

A game invented in the 19th Century by Irish nationalists to combat the increasing popularity of football (soccer) as played by the accursed Brits. Teams consist of fifteen players and matches last 70 minutes (divided into two 35 minute halves). The object of the game is to kick the ball around a field at random and start a fight where it lands. Also known as "bogball", the game is controlled by the GAA, a loose grouping of ultra nationalistic right-wing property developers and bank managers. GAA headquarters is Croke Park in Dublin, a state-of-the-art 80,000 capacity stadium that was built using millions of Punts (pounds) of public money but is in practice only open for use by the GAA who only fill the place twice a year (Garth Brooks can also fill Croke Park twice a year). Competition is organised at top level as the All-Ireland Championship, where the winners of the four provincial championships (Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht) play off for a place in the final. Winning an Ireland medal gurantees any player will never have to worry about waiting to join a golf club and has a job for life in the Bank of Ireland (if their mammy lets them go).

The US National Team has got a bright future ahead. We'll be losing guys like Cherundolo and Bocanegra, but little else.

We'll bring back Howard, Altidore, Onyewu, Bradley, Feilhaber, Bornstein, Edu and add Davies as the core of our team. Donovan and Dempsey will be old but effective too. Also throw in Adu and some talented kids off our U-17 team and we're looking solid.

Too bad 2014 will be in Brazil; unless we completely avoid their side of the bracket like we did this time around there's no getting past that machine in their own backyard.

I agree to a point, but we need to get better in the back and at striker. The potential needs to be realized.

Jozy made some nice runs, but he needs to make some runs like the striker that scored the deciding goal in OT. We saw some glimpses, but he needs to rise up when he is a target. Good thing is he still young.

We need someone to pair with Onyewu and lockdown the middle.

Between know and 2014, I hope some more young hopes emerge in every level of the team. If the top 3 is still Howard, Dempsey and Donovan, out program is in a perpetual quagmire.

Germans: Argentina shows no respect

ERASMIA, South Africa -- Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger accuses World Cup quarterfinals rival Argentina of showing no respect for opponents and referees, and urges his teammates not to be provoked.

Germany eliminated Argentina on penalty kicks four years ago at the same stage and there were chaotic scenes after the shootout, with both sides exchanging punches and kicks in a fracas that included team officials from both benches.

AP Photo/Thomas KienzleThe fracas at the end of Germany's 2006 World Cup win over Argentina has not been forgotten, German players said Wednesday.

"The shootout is still in our memory, but what really weighs heavily on our minds is what happened after that match," Schweinsteiger said Wednesday. "We have to remain calm and not get provoked and I hope the referee will be very alert.

"You could see their behavior at halftime of the game against Mexico. When you look at their body language and gesticulations, the way they try to influence the referees, they have no respect. It's their mentality and character and we'll have to adjust."

Mexico and Argentina players had to be separated as they headed for the tunnel at halftime of the teams' second-round game, with the Mexicans furious over Argentina's first goal that came when scorer Carlos Tevez clearly was offside.

Argentina won 3-1.

Schweinsteiger also accused Argentine fans of taking the places of others in the stadiums and refusing to move. It was not clear where he got his evidence from.

But the midfielder praised Argentina as a team, saying the squad coached by Diego Maradona was better in "every sector" than the team Germany beat four years ago.

Germany's team page

For more about Germany and its chances in South Africa this summer, click here.

Schweinsteiger singled out veteran Juan Sebastian Veron.

"He has played very strongly here. I have been impressed," Schweinsteiger said.

Schweinsteiger repeated that stopping Argentina star Lionel Messi will need a strong "collective effort."

"Other teams also have done it. He hasn't scored yet and we want to keep it that way," said Schweinsteiger, who has played 78 games for Germany although he is still just 25.

"We'll find the right game plan to hurt Argentina, although we know how strong Argentina is. At this level, you can't make mistakes, it's the details that decide the match."

Thomas Mueller, who scored twice against England, could be the deciding factor in the match, which might be embarrassing to Maradona.

By now, he should have heard of Mueller. The last time Argentina played Germany in a friendly in March, Maradona felt so slighted when Mueller sat on the podium with him at the postmatch news conference that he stormed off and refused to return until Mueller left the stage to the coach alone.

Mueller had just made his debut for Germany then. Now, he leads his team at the World Cup with three goals.

Argentina's team page

For more about Argentina and its chances in South Africa this summer, click here.

Coach Joachim Loew said forward Cacau is unlikely to recover from a right thigh injury in time for the match.

Argentina beat Germany 1-0 with relative ease in that March friendly in Munich. Schweinsteiger said that result meant little.

"One, it was a friendly. Two, they did not create many chances either. Three, we have gained a lot of confidence by beating England and the good tactics we used in that game," Schweinsteiger said.

Germany advanced to the quarterfinal with a 4-1 win.

Schweinsteiger said he expected the upcoming match to be a tactical affair, "just as it was in 2006."

Argentina has only one win over Germany at the World Cup, in the 1986 final when Maradona was still playing. Overall in the World Cup, they have met five times and twice in the final.

Maradona led Argentina to that 3-2 win in Mexico, while in Italy in 1990, Germany won 1-0 on a penalty kick. Those were also the last times either team won the World Cup.

Germany won a group match 3-1 in 1958 and the two teams drew 0-0 in another group match in 1966.

How long have I been saying it? They're best attacking player was left in Milan, with 30 mins left in the game Dunga must have been pleased to have Kleberson instead.

Kaka is so overrated it's unreal. Sicken Dunga rightly, all this ballwashing he's been getting about changing the culture of Brazilian football was embarrassing. Oh yeah, like the previous culture was so bad.

Idiots.

Roll on Uruguay!

How long have I been saying it? They're best attacking player was left in Milan, with 30 mins left in the game Dunga must have been pleased to have Kleberson instead.

Kaka is so overrated it's unreal. Sicken Dunga rightly, all this ballwashing he's been getting about changing the culture of Brazilian football was embarrassing. Oh yeah, like the previous culture was so bad.

Idiots.

Roll on Uruguay!

Meh. Brazil's offense was not that bad. They lost because the best goalkeeper in the world screw up and the entire team folded. Ronaldinho wouldn't make a big difference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8789682.stm

Germany have impressed everyone with their attacking displays en route to the semi-finals of this World Cup.

But it is only six years ago that, like England this summer, they were returning home early from a major tournament and wondering what the future held.

Germany had to rebuild after the disaster of the 2004 European Championship in Portugal. We did not win a game and failed to get out of our group.

I got the chance to decide on the direction we took when I agreed to take over as Germany coach that summer, with current manager Joachim Loew as my assistant.

'Jogi' and I began the whole regeneration process by trying to give our national team an identity.

We eventually decided to go down an attack-minded route, passing the ball on the ground from the back to the front line as quickly as possible using dynamic football.

_48256980_jurgen_joachim226x282.gif Klinsmann and Loew designed a new blueprint for German football

From that, we created a style of play that this Germany team in South Africa now really lives and breathes. Since 2004, we have reached two World Cup semi-finals and the final of Euro 2008.

Can England recover from their poor showing in South Africa as quickly as Germany did six years ago? Yes, but they cannot just copy the German style and expect that to succeed for them.

Every nation has its own culture and specific environment as well as its own footballing identity. England have to develop their own vision and decide how they should play.

As I found, making that vision work is not an easy process. It will take time and England's results might not be positive while it takes effect.

England will also need the help of the Premier League. Every club coach will have their own philosophy but I tried to work with those in the Bundesliga to build something together.

There are a lot of foreign players and managers in England but that should not make a difference. You simply have to explain to them what the style of play is that you want to develop and be prepared to persevere.

When Jogi and I took over the German side, we made our plans very public and made it clear that we were trying to rebuild from the bottom up.

The German Football Association (DFB) helped us by putting a lot of pressure on all the first and second division teams in the Bundesliga to build academy programmes and ensure talented young players were coming through but we still had to decide on our playing style.

o.gifWhatever approach the England team decides on, everybody in the English game needs to sign up to it

Jurgen Klinsmann

To do that, we quizzed everyone we could.

We held workshops with German coaches and players, asking them to write down on flip charts three things: how they wanted to play, how they wanted to be seen to be playing by the rest of the world and how the German public wanted to see us playing.

If we could define all of that, we thought we could lay out how we wanted to work and then, from there, sort out the training and paperwork behind the scenes.

What we ended up with amounted to 10 or 12 bullet points laying out our proposals. We then announced that it was our intention to play a fast-paced game, an attacking game and a proactive game.

That last term was something the Germans did not really like because they did not really understand what proactive meant. We just told them it meant we did not react to what our opponents did, we played the way that was right for us.

Once we had done all that, we created a curriculum for German football and presented it to the Bundesliga and DFB boards.

At that point, I told them I did not have the time to implement the strategy at all levels because I only had two years to prepare for the World Cup, so I asked for Germany's Under-21 team to adopt it and that was it.

I brought in a former international team-mate of mine, Dieter Eilts, to run the under-21s and said they had to play the same way as the senior team because they would be a feeder for it.

I was always looking long-term but I knew our plans would be measured by our success at the 2006 World Cup.

_48257255_germany226.gif Germany thrashed England 4-1 in the quarter-finals

There was a lot of negative media at the start. Everybody agreed German football had to change after 2004 but nobody actually wanted to adopt our proposals.

For example, we told the Bundesliga teams and coaches that their players needed to be fitter to play the kind of football we wanted to play.

That meant carrying out fitness tests every three months, which did not go down well with some clubs because I was able to prove that some of them were training their players properly and others were not.

I was basically doubted for the two years I was coach - and when we lost 4-1 to Italy in a friendly game three months before the 2006 World Cup, everybody wanted my blood!

We had another game three weeks later against the United States and we won that one 4-1.

That victory saved my job and kept me in charge for the World Cup because the DFB had been ready to make a change. They wanted the conservative approach again, not the revolution.

But I kept on being positive, explaining that this was how I wanted us to play. I did not know if we would master it in time for the 2006 World Cup but we would give it a shot.

We had the players for four solid weeks before the tournament began and were able to get our thoughts across. They agreed to train the way we wanted them to and do extra work. Soon they started to believe in the system.

o.gif 606: DEBATE

Germany will prove to be the most influential team at this World Cup

djmolineux 49

That was crucial because, no matter what your job is, you need to identify yourself with the work that you are doing and be happy.

I was happy because, as a former striker, I liked the style we intended to play. I could never coach a team that played defensive-minded football.

I also think the players understood that I was the one taking the risk and that if it did not work out the DFB would send me packing back to California!

We started well at the 2006 World Cup and the public began to feel that something special was going to happen.

In the second game, when we beat Poland with a last-minute goal, the whole nation embraced us and said "yeah, that's our team and that's how we want them to play". We lost in the semi-final against Italy but I was still very proud.

After that World Cup, I was burned out after two years of banging my head against a wall but I made it clear to the DFB that Jogi had to take over after me to continue the job we had started.

He has continued to develop that initial style of play and is enjoying success. It has taken Germany six years to learn to play it properly - and it has developed along the way - but the players are completely comfortable with it now.

Germany's style of play might work for England because, in a way, Germany now play a lot like a typical Premier League team, with the emphasis on pacy attacks.

But whatever approach the England team decides on - whether it is attacking or defensive, patient or high tempo - everybody in the English game needs to sign up to it.

After all, it is the players, coaches and clubs who will help to make it work.

At that point, I told them I did not have the time to implement the strategy at all levels because I only had two years to prepare for the World Cup, so I asked for Germany's Under-21 team to adopt it and that was it.

I brought in a former international team-mate of mine, Dieter Eilts, to run the under-21s and said they had to play the same way as the senior team because they would be a feeder for it.

And the German team is being carried by its young players. Kinsmann's plan worked.

Meh. Brazil's offense was not that bad. They lost because the best goalkeeper in the world screw up and the entire team folded. Ronaldinho wouldn't make a big difference.

Yes he would have. Scoring 1 against the Netherlands was never going to be enough. Fabiano has been overrated by so many people and Kaka hasn't been himself in a few years. Robinho was easily their best attacking player and even he has been terribly out of form for his club.

Ronaldinho would have been their most dangerous attacking player. He may not have the legs anymore but he's still got the ridiculous skill to open up a defense with his pinpoint passing. Watching him this season for Milan it was a complete disgrace that he wasn't at least selected. He may be a lazy **** but he'd be a nice sub to bring on when you're I dunno, 2-1 down to Holland with 30 mins left.

He should have went, Dunga blew it.

The Germans were awful today. Just no offensive flow at all. Spain were unlucky not to have scored three or four goals.

I'll be rooting hard for the Dutch Sunday, but Spain is going to be very tough to beat.

The Germans were awful today. Just no offensive flow at all. Spain were unlucky not to have scored three or four goals.

I'll be rooting hard for the Dutch Sunday, but Spain is going to be very tough to beat.

Yeah, the German passing was just off, and Spain was quicker to the ball.

I don't think Spain was unlucky, I think they choked on good scoring opportunities.

Archived