*** Official 2010 World Cup Thread ***

The Gun Of Bavaria

Is this going to a tough game for the Irish to watch?

Nah, I'll be wearing a united Wayne Rooney top and singing "football's coming home" if that happens.

It's funny, I've always hated France. As far back as I can remember, something about the little creepy bastards. Even watching the 1998 World Cup (I was 8) I was absolutely raging when they won. Seriously completely ****ing hate them, In rugby, soccer, and in overall life! The Henry handball, I will never get over it. ever. Seriously just ****ed up, and it's made the entire uild up to this World Cup painful. Since I've been watching football I've seen Ireland play in World Cup and it was absolutely awesome, Robbie Keane scoring that goal against the Germans, I swear there were people dancing in the streets, it was amazing.

Now denied that, along with all the mighty drinking sessions because of that ****ing cheating bastard and the rest of those ****s at Fifa, who just had it all set up for France to go through.

**** France. England? Meh, I laugh when they lose and their ridiculously high hopes crash and burn, but I don't really hate them. That being said, with the exception of a few, they have a team of scumbags.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since I've been watching football I've seen Ireland play in World Cup and it was absolutely awesome, Robbie Keane scoring that goal against the Germans, I swear there were people dancing in the streets, it was amazing.

It was even better in '94 when they beat Italy in the Meadowlands during Group play (in which all 4 teams finished tied)... unfortunately, their run came to an end when Packie Bonner let in a weak shot right off his ****ing hands to let the Netherlands go up 2-0 in the Round of 16.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/06/08/altidore.training.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Forward Jozy Altidore has resumed full training with the U.S. World Cup team, six days after spraining his right ankle during practice.

"I feel great. The ankle feels fine,'' Altidore said in comments relayed by the U.S. Soccer Federation after Tuesday's practice. "It's a little sore, but I had no issues participating in all the exercises today. I'm happy to be part of the group again.''

Altidore, who has nine goals in 25 international appearances, didn't play in Saturday's 3-1 exhibition win over Australia. The U.S. plays its World Cup opener against England on Saturday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/06/08/onyewu.declaration.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Oguchi Onyewu feels ready to face England.

The big American defender hasn't played a full 90 minutes since Oct. 10, four days before he tore his left patellar tendon during the final World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica.

He returned May 25 and played 65 minutes against the Czech Republic and entered at the start of the second half four days later versus Turkey. Coach Bob Bradley used him as a 61st-minute substitute Saturday against Australia, the last warmup ahead of the U.S. World Cup opener on Saturday.

"Obviously, yeah, I would love to be able to see if I could have played a full 90,'' he said Tuesday.

Jay DeMerit seems certain to start in central defense against the English. Because Onyewu hasn't played a match from start to finish in eight months, it's unclear whether he or Clarence Goodson will be paired with DeMerit.

"You can see him starting to come along,'' DeMerit said. "I don't think he or anyone was under any illusions that he would come in and be perfect to where he was last summer. You know, when you have horrific injuries like that, you need to relearn a lot of the key things that make you a player.''

Goodson started the last three exhibition games for the Americans. With 54 international appearances, the 28-year-old Onyewu has far more international experience than Goodson, who is four days younger yet has played just 13 games for the national team.

Bradley won't give any hints as to his thinking on Saturday's lineup.

"I've seen a good Gooch in training and the games,'' right back Steve Cherundolo said. "I hope he's gotten a little more fitness in. He's definitely got some games in since he's been here.''

Defense figures to a key against the English, led by forward Wayne Rooney. In addition, Three Lions coach Fabio Capello could start 6-foot-6 Peter Crouch.

A 6-4, Onyewu is a tower of strength for his teammates. But if his reaction time and sharpness aren't fully back, Bradley may opt to go with Goodson, who while just as tall appears to be less physical.

Onyewu, who failed to get back on the field for AC Milan following the injury, hardly got airborne when he was beaten to a header by the Czech Republic's Tomas Sivok for a goal. He looked steadier in the last two games.

"I'm physically fit,'' he said. "It was a progression. The Czech game was my first game back after seven months and, you know, I could have anticipated that not being the greatest outing, but you get better as it goes and right now I feel fine and ready to start this tournament.''

Onyewu -- and the entire U.S. squad -- is convinced it will need a team effort to defeat England, a nation still searching for its first World Cup title since 1966. American fans have focused on the game, the first competitive match between the countries since the 1-0 U.S. upset at the 1950 World Cup.

"I'm up to facing England,'' Onyewu said. "I don't think Wayne Rooney is the only player on the English squad. They have a number of world-class players from the defense, to the midfield, to the attackers. Although he is a world-class and great player, you shouldn't just focus on one player in a team sport.''

GROUP PLAY

GROUP A

1. France

2. South Africa

3. Mexico

4. Uruguay

GROUP B

1. Argentina

2. Nigeria

3. Greece

4. South Korea

GROUP C

1. United States

2. England

3. Slovakia

4. Algeria

GROUP D

1. Serbia

2. Germany

3. Australia

4. Ghana

GROUP E

1. Netherlands

2. Cameroon

3. Denmark

4. Japan

GROUP F

1. Italy

2. Paraguay

3. Slovakia

4. New Zealand

GROUP G

1. Brazil

2. Portugal

3. Ivory Coast

4. North Korea

GROUP H

1. Spain

2. Switzerland

3. Honduras

4. Chile

ROUND OF 16

France over Greece

USA over Ghana

Netherlands over Slovakia

Brazil over Chile

Argentina over Mexico

Germany over England

Italy over Denmark

Spain over Portugal

QUARTERFINALS

France over USA

Germany over Argentina

Netherlands over Brazil

Spain over Italy

SEMI-FINALS

Netherlands vs France

Germany over Spain

Finals

Netherlands 2 over Germany 1

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5274650/ce/us/mandela-relative-killed-world-cup-concert&cc=5901?ver=us

Mandela great-grandchild dies in crash

JOHANNESBURG -- Nelson Mandela's 13-year-old great-granddaughter was killed in a car crash on the way home from a concert in Soweto on the eve of the World Cup, his office said Friday.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation said Zenani Mandela died in a one-car accident after attending the World Cup kickoff concert at the Orlando Stadium.

The foundation said later Mandela would not attend Friday's World Cup opening ceremony and game in Johannesburg, dashing South Africans' hopes the frail 91-year-old former president would make a rare appearance. Mandela and his family were "torn up" by the accident, the foundation added. Mandela would be at the ceremony in spirit, a foundation spokesman added.

Johannesburg Metro police spokeswoman Edna Mamonyane said the driver of the car, a man, had been arrested and charged with drunken driving. Mamonyane said the driver, who police would not name, could also face culpable homicide charges.

"The Metro police found that he was drunk," Mamonyane said. "He lost control of the vehicle and it collided with a barricade."

Police spokesman Govindsamy Mariemuthoo said the driver would appear in court for a preliminary hearing Friday, after which he would be named.

The Mandela foundation has also denied reports that the former president's ex-wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela was in the car.

"She was not in the car," foundation spokesman Sello Hatang told the AP.

Hatang asked that the Mandela family be given space to mourn, adding that Winnie Madikizela-Mandela was treated for shock at a hospital after being informed of the accident and the death of her great-granddaughter. Hatang said Madikizela-Mandela was admitted "for a few hours" and had now been released.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter wrote to Nelson Mandela, describing the young girl's death as "unspeakably tragic."

Blatter said Friday he fully understands that Mandela cannot attend the opening ceremony and first match, and wrote that Mandela will "be with us in spirit, for which we are incredibly grateful."

Thursday's World Cup concert had drawn tens of thousands of people to Soweto, and traffic was congested into the early hours Friday.

Zenani, who celebrated her 13th birthday June 9, was one of the anti-apartheid icon's nine great-grandchildren.

"The family has asked for privacy as they mourn this tragedy," the foundation said in a statement.

Mandela, who turns 92 on July 18, has largely retired from public life although it had been anticipated he would make a brief appearance at the World Cup opening ceremony Friday, depending on his health and the weather conditions.

In a statement Thursday, the Foundation said it had been "inundated with requests for meetings, and it will be impossible for Mr. Mandela to accede to even a small fraction of these." But Mandela met this week with members of the Black Eyed Peas, one of the main acts at Thursday's concert, and Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo and coach Carlos Queiroz -- the latter a former coach of South Africa.

And it begins...

Anyone watching the opening match?

The announcers keep talking how Mexico should have scored on that corner, that he wasn't offsides, but to clarify an offside position is defined as

"A player is in an offside position if he is in his opponents' half of the field and is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the next to last opponent"

The goalie normally makes the second to last player a field player, but because he came out for the cross, he is offside.

And it begins...

Anyone watching the opening match?

The announcers keep talking how Mexico should have scored on that corner, that he wasn't offsides, but to clarify an offside position is defined as

"A player is in an offside position if he is in his opponents' half of the field and is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the next to last opponent"

The goalie normally makes the second to last player a field player, but because he came out for the cross, he is offside.

Ha, was watching this in the pub with friends and was the only one who knew that rule.

:D

Here's hoping Uruguay destroy France and that some terrorist sets Thierry Henry on fire.

Hard-earned draw for Uruguay, great defense in those final 9 minutes playing with 10 men. Group A is all tied up!

GROUP A STANDINGS

1) South Africa 1 point (1 goal, 0 GD)

2) Mexico 1 point (1 goal, 0 GD)

3) Uruguay 1 point (0 goals, 0 GD)

4) France 1 point (0 goals, 0 GD)

Hard-earned draw for Uruguay, great defense in those final 9 minutes playing with 10 men. Group A is all tied up!

GROUP A STANDINGS

1) South Africa 1 point (1 goal, 0 GD)

2) Mexico 1 point (1 goal, 0 GD)

3) Uruguay 1 point (0 goals, 0 GD)

4) France 1 point (0 goals, 0 GD)

I think SA has looked the best so far. I feel good about my prediction that they will make it to the second round. France doesn't look that good, Mexico has the same limitations they always have.

I think SA has looked the best so far. I feel good about my prediction that they will make it to the second round. France doesn't look that good, Mexico has the same limitations they always have.

I agree, especially regarding France. They have the feel of the 2002 version, when they didn't score a single goal, got 1 point, and got knocked out of Group Play in disgrace. They're ranked 9th in the world, but they don't look sharp and are dealing with a LOT of turmoil thanks to some scandals and the backlash of Henry's hand-ball issues.

Mexico, on the other hand, is just too young. I still like my pick of Uruguay to win that group. They played gutsy defense in the last 10 minutes when they were down a man. Their offense will start clicking in their next match against South Africa. I say Mexico beats France too, putting Uruguay and Mexico a comfortable 3 points ahead of South Africa and France.

The first 0-0 game of the World Cup. Let the soccer haters get it out of their system.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOHdTQd6H8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOHdTQd6H8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived