*** Official 2010 World Cup Thread ***

The Gun Of Bavaria

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10307512.stm

Somali militants threaten World Cup TV viewers

Watching football in public is 'un-Islamic', the militants say

Somali militants have threatened football fans they will be publicly flogged - or worse - if they are caught watching the World Cup on TV.

Gangs of Islamists are reported to be patrolling the areas they control looking for people watching games.

Dedicated fans are watching matches in secret, or in the few areas controlled by government forces.

On Saturday militants killed two people as they attacked a house where people were watching a game.

Militant group Hizbul-Islam also arrested 10 others at the house north-east of the capital Mogadishu where fans were watching the game between Argentina and Nigeria.

'Mad men'

A spokesman for the group, Sheikh Mohamed Abdi Aros said the rest of Somalia should respect their ban on the World Cup.

"We are warning all the youth of Somalia not to dare watch these World Cup matches. It is a waste of money and time and they will not benefit anything or get any experience by watching mad men jumping up and down," he said.

One broadcaster has moved their operations to the fortified airport to protect their equipment from attack during the tournament.

Dedicated football fans have few safe places to go if they want to watch Africa's first World Cup, with the al-Qaeda inspired group al-Shabab also announcing a ban.

A cinema in the small part of the capital Mogadishu controlled by the government has become a popular place for football fans.

One man, who lives in the militant-controlled livestock market area of the city told the BBC he was watching Algeria v Slovenia at home with his family.

"I have one eye on the TV and the other on the door, and the sound turned down," he said.

'Enemies of Islam'

The ban dates back to a law that was introduced by the Islamic Courts Union who took control of much of Somalia for six months in 2006.

It bans Somalis from all forms of entertainment considered un-Islamic under the courts' strict interpretation of Sharia law, like video games and watching sports in public.

The BBC's Mohammed Olad Hassan says few individual Somalis can afford to have a satellite TV, so such public screenings are often the only way matches can be seen.

In the Juba Valley rebel militias went further, saying young men should not watch football - even in the privacy of their own homes - because it would "distract them from pursuing holy jihad."

A private broadcaster moved its equipment from the rebel-held Bakara market to the heavily protected airport so it can continue broadcasting, news agency Reuters reported.

They had to do it under the cover of darkness for fear of attack, they said.

Television was already under attack from the Islamist militants.

Al-Shabab has declared Universal TV "enemies of Islam" because they allegedly broadcast pictures of the prophet Muhammad.

Al-Shabab has already banned radio stations from playing music and threatened several radio stations.

The Islamic Courts Union was driven out by Ethiopian-backed government forces.

But since then rebel groups like al-Shabab have taken control of the south of Somalia and much of Mogadishu.

The government, backed by African Union peacekeepers, controls only a small area of the capital.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my take so far, now that I have time to get on here:

1) Tim Howard is the hero of the day and Green is the goat. Still, while a little shaky defensively, they hung in there and a tie is a nice job.

2) Germany looks evil. USA has to win their group to at least avoid them for a round.

3) Those F**king horns need to go. Absolutely pathetic and annoying.

Holland winning 2-0. They'll be very good with Robben IMO.

The vuvuzela has to go. It's relentless noise that drown out any atmosphere you can associate with a football match. It's the WORLD Cup, not the African cup and it's their responsibility to put on a spectacle that appeals to the world. This is absolutely unbearable.

1) Tim Howard is the hero of the day and Green is the goat.

In my mind, Ricardo Clark was a goat in that game. He is totally worthless, and had we had a capable player in there in his spot, maybe we beat England.

Howard was DEFINITELY the hero though. He handled attack after attack from the English, with little assistance outside of Onyewu.

Netherlands 2, Denmark 0. No surprise there.

Japan pulls off the upset over Cameroon, 1-0. Apparently, Eto'o played on the right win the entire match and was held completely in check.

Much like Group D (Germany, Ghana), there were 2 winners in Group E (Netherlands, Japan) picking up 3 points.

Here's my take so far, now that I have time to get on here:

1) Tim Howard is the hero of the day and Green is the goat. Still, while a little shaky defensively, they hung in there and a tie is a nice job.

2) Germany looks evil. USA has to win their group to at least avoid them for a round.

3) Those F**king horns need to go. Absolutely pathetic and annoying.

I am just glad England did not carry play in the first half like they did in the second. While the D had lapses, they seem better prepared for it and of course Howard was still there.

FWIW..Paraguay just scored against Italy.

Paraguay strikes first against the defending champion Italians! 1-0 Paraguay off a free kick header in the 38th minute.
Tried to

watch it. Between the horns and the diving it's a disgrace. Unwatchable. Saturday's US/England game was much more watchable.

Holland winning 2-0. They'll be very good with Robben IMO.

The vuvuzela has to go. It's relentless noise that drown out any atmosphere you can associate with a football match. It's the WORLD Cup, not the African cup and it's their responsibility to put on a spectacle that appeals to the world. This is absolutely unbearable.

It could be worse at least they didn't pass out spears.

Just how annoying are the horns?

I downloaded a Vuvuzela App for my iPod Touch and while watching TV last night, starting setting it off. My wife, who has zero interest in sports, especially soccer, immediately said "What in god's name is that annoying noise?" When I told her what it is and about the World Cup noise, she said "That's the most ridiculous sound I've ever heard in my life. Why would anyone want to listen to that during a game?"

'Nuff Said

This one's for you, soccer fags.

The US World Cup Team Gets Its Proper Dose Of Motivation

1303.jpg

Landon Donovan: Holy smokes! We’re in South Africa, Jozy! We’re finally here!

Jozy Altidore: Yup.

Landon Donovan: This is the big one, man. Lotta people hoping we finally come through.

Landon Donovan: How’s your ankle?

Jozy Altidore: It’s all right.

Landon Donovan: I think we can do it, Jozy. We almost won that Confederations Cup last year, you know.

Landon Donovan: You think Coach will have a few wrinkles ready for us?

Jozy Altidore: I don’t know.

(door flies open)

bobbradley415.jpg

Coach Bob Bradley: All right, men! Listen up! The time for sightseeing is OVER! We gotta hunker down and get ready for these Brits. I want you men focused. I want you determined. I want you ready to shock the world. That’s why I personally flew in someone very special to talk to you boys about what this Saturday means for you, and for your fellow countrymen.

Jozy Altidore: Who’s that?

(door flies open)

rex4.jpg

Ryan: HOW THE **** YOU DOIN’, SOCCER FAGS?

Donovan: Whoa hey, that’s Coach Rex Ryan of the New York Jets!

Jozy Altidore: The **** is Rex Ryan doing here?

Coach Bob Bradley: I’ve long felt that Coach Ryan’s aggressive approach to American football is just the kind of no-bull philosophy we need to take down the Three Lions. Isn’t that right, Coach?

Ryan: Oh, men. MEN. God dammit, men, I feel ****ing GREAT today. Do you feel ****ing great?

Donovan: I guess.

Ryan: Let me tell you about the **** I took on Delta coming over here, men. All the sanitary napkins in the WORLD won’t clean up the ****ing WAR I waged on that little airplane potty. It was like dropping six hydrogen bombs on an igloo. A DISPLAY OF OVERWHELMING ****ING FORCE.

Jozy: What?

Ryan: All right, first order of business: NICKNAMES. Landon, your new nickname is PA INGALLS!

Donovan: Why Pa Ingalls?

Ryan: Because I ****ing loved that show and don’t tell anyone or I will stuff you in a urinal and piss on ya. The dad reminded me of my dad, ONLY MY DAD WAS A KILLER! Altidore, your new nickname is The Instigator.

Jozy: Okay.

Ryan: Dempsey, your new nickname is Cumbubble. I don’t like your hair. Beasley, your new nickname is BEAST.

DeMarcus Beasly: But that’s already my nickname.

Ryan: Then I’m calling you *****monger! Now, what’s the nickname of our team?

Bradley: Uh…

Donovan: Uh…

Jozy: Well…

Ryan: Oh sweet little infant Jesus sucking on his mom’s tit. THERE’S NO NICKNAME FOR OUR NATIONAL TEAM?

Donovan: No one ever really came up with one that stuck.

Ryan: Well, that is bull****, pretty boy! We’re coming up with a nickname RIGHT NOW!

Donovan: Shouldn’t we practice dribbling?

Ryan: **** your dribbling! This is important. EVERY team in this stupid tournament has a nickname! Even Cameroon has a nickname, and I thought Cameroon was just a cookie before someone told me it was a place full of Africans! The British are the Three Lions! The Italians are the BLUE FAGGOTS! And the Canadians are the ****head Mountie Salmonblowers Who Couldn’t Make The Cut! AM I RIGHT?

Jozy: Well, the Mexicans always call us Los Gringos. We could call ourselves that.

Ryan: Too Spanish.

Bradley: The Eagles?

Ryan: The team that ****ed over my daddy? NEXT!

Donovan: The Red White and Blue?

Ryan: NEXT!

Jozy: The Tailgunners?

Ryan: God dammit. From now on, your new team nickname is THE ****ING OVERLORDS OF DEATH. You got it? You are a ****ing group of KILLERS. Now, next up: Bounties. $1,000 to the first ****er that takes out Rooney’s legs while he’s trying to head in a goal.

Donovan: Won’t that get us a red card?

Ryan: Oh! Oh, no! Oh, little Pa Ingalls is afraid of ****ing STATIONERY. You men play this dip**** soccer game like a bunch of soccer players!

Jozy: But we ARE soccer players.

Ryan: No, you aren’t! You are the ****ing OVERLORDS OF DEATH. You are the ****ing sheet of icy cold darkness that envelops the world and suffocates every living thing trapped inside. You are not human. You are a dark force of the netherworld. You are the cavalry the frightened villagers hear before the slaughter. You are here to ****ing LAY WASTE! Do you understand?

Everyone: Yes.

Ryan: ****ING SAY IT LIKE OVERLORDS OF DEATH!

Everyone: YES!

Ryan: Men, I don’t pretend to understand your little sport. I know all the little Mexicans and Eurofags play it, and good for them. Little Mexicans and Eurofags need things to do. And I know you can’t use your hands, and that “tackling” someone means tapping their shins like a little cumswiller. BUT JUST BECAUSE YOUR SPORT IS FOR PUSSIES DOESN’T MEAN YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW SUIT! Men, I have seen you play. You play like frightened little boys. You play like you don’t belong. You’re afraid to let your guard down and ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK! Well, it’s time to cut that **** out forever.

I don’t want you to play “The Beautiful Game,” men. Leave that for the ass shakers from South America. I don’t want to see you play beautiful. I want to see you men play the UGLY GAME. I want you men to play the grisly, nasty, filthy, evil game. I don’t want you to make it pretty. I want you to make it ****ing hurt. I want you to make those ****ers on the other side of the field BLEED. You know what I’m talking about, Pa Ingalls? You ever make them bleed? You ever make a lady bleed with pleasure?

Donovan: Well, I…

rex2.jpg

Ryan: Oh! Oh! Oh, ol’ Pa Ingalls here brought in the red tide last night! THAT’S DOUBLE GREAT HUSTLE!

(slaps Donovan twice on the ass, hard)

Donovan: Ouch!

Ryan: That’s what I’m talking about! Don’t make it pretty, men. Make it sweaty, and stinky, and vile and putrid. Make those *******s in the stands want to throw up when they see you get out there and ****ing POUND THOSE LIMEY ****S. Is that who you play on Saturday? England?

Donovan: Yes, sir.

Ryan: And I suppose people think the English will win, do they?

Donovan: Yes, sir.

Ryan: BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The ****ing English? Those ****ers can’t even win their own tennis party. Let me tell you something about the English, gentlemen. A hundred years ago, those limey ****s owned a quarter of the world. They were an EMPIRE. Their little dip**** king ruled over Canada, India, Egypt, and even the very soil you gentlemen now stand upon. They owned it all. They even owned US at one point. And do you know what happened to that empire, men? Do you?

Donovan: It fell, sir?

Ryan: You’re goddamn right, it fell. India? Gone. Canada? Gone. Africa? ****ing GONE. All those pantyhose wearers have left is some island full of pineapple eaters out in the ocean somewhere. They lost it all. They are NOTHING. They are ****ing WEAK. They are a rotting shell of an empire, only they’re too stupid to even realize it. When the last time these ****ers won this tournament?

Donovan: 1966, sir.

Ryan: 1966! 1966! They’ve won JACK **** since 1966! Who have they beaten? What have they proven? And yet somehow, they’re miles better than YOU? Men, you are not underdogs. There are no underdogs in the world. There is only the weak. You are the ****ing CHAMPIONS. If no one sees you coming, well then that’s their fault for being too ****ing stupid to notice. You will take that field on Saturday, and you will ****ing scratch and kick and claw. Your hands can’t touch the ball, but they sure as hell can touch BALLS, can they not? GRAB AND TWIST, ****OS! We are going to beat the ever loving piss out of these guys, and then we’re gonna take down the whole ****ing thing. And your training begins NOW! BRING OUT THE GUMBY!

Donovan: Gumby?

gumby012.jpg

Gumby: WOT? WELL, I FINK IS JUST RIGHT BOLLOCKS, INNIT?!

Ryan: KILL THAT ****ER!

Donovan: Kill him?

Ryan: HE’S AN ORPHAN! NO ONE WILL KNOW! YOU ****ING KICK THAT OLIVER TWIST TO DEATH RIGHT NOW! KICK KICK KICK KICK!!!

(everyone kicks the gumby to death)

Ryan: Do you ****ing feel it, men? Do you feel THE UGLY GAME rising up within you? Do you now realize what you’re capable of?

Ryan: ****ing bring it in!

(everyone brings it in)

Ryan: I don’t want you gentlemen to be soccer players out there. I want you to be FOOTBALL players. Real football, like the kind I coach. I want you to be ready to ****ing TEE OFF. I want you to show the world how we do business here in America. We do it ROUGH. We take what we want and **** YOU if you get in our way. We don’t give a **** how messy it gets. BECAUSE LOSERS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE TO CLEAN UP THE MESS. You will beat those English butlers, and then you will ****ing crush Souvlakia.

Bradley: Slovenia.

Ryan: Whatever. ARE YOU MEN IN? ARE YOU READY TO TAKE THIS CUP AND PISS IN IT?

Ryan: ****ing kill on three ONE TWO THREE!

Everyone: KILL!

Ryan: God damn, I need a burger! Where do I find a burger in this ****hole? Everyone here smells!

Donovan: We’re making the quarters, Jozy.

Jozy: Hell yes we are.

I found pretty funny that the North Korean "fans" are actually paid Chinese actors. Still they did much better against Brazil than I expected.

I didn't realize that the Ivory Coast had so many big names on their team. I knew they had Drogba and Kalou, but they have a good number of solid players. They should advance out of that group. Portugal really didn't look that good today.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5288995/ce/us/slovenia-andrej-komac-guarantees-victory-vs-united-states?cc=5901&ver=us

Komac: 'We are going to win this match'

Andrej Komac probably never has heard of Joe Namath, even though he sure can imitate the Hall of Fame quarterback.

The Slovenia midfielder is so confident about the tiny country's chances against the United States in their World Cup match on Friday that he guaranteed victory.

"We are going to win this match," Komac said after practice Tuesday.

United States' team page

For more about the U.S. and its chances in South Africa this summer, click here.

He added there's "a good feeling" on the squad after Slovenia beat Algeria 1-0 to claim its first World Cup victory and the top spot in Group C. Komac came on as a substitute in the final minutes.

The U.S. and England have one point each after their 1-1 draw.

With a population of just over 2 million, Slovenia is the smallest nation in the World Cup -- about the size of Houston. But its national team has upset bigger rivals before. It finished second in its qualifying group ahead of the Czech Republic and Poland, then stunned Russia in a two-match playoff to enter its second World Cup.

Slovenia already is doing better than in 2002, when it lost all three group matches.

Captain Robert Koren secured the victory Sunday against Algeria with a long-range shot in the 79th minute that goalkeeper Fawzi Chaouchi misjudged and allowed to bounce into the net off his arm.

Komac doesn't expect the U.S. to underestimate his team, given what it's accomplished so far.

"We took three points in the first game. No one looks at us as small anymore," he said. "Now we can only go forward like this, because we are leading the group."

Slovenia produced few scoring chances against Algeria, but fielded a strong defense the North Africans couldn't break down. Komac said Slovenia is not going to change it's strategy when it faces the Americans.

"We are playing our style of football and we'll continue with that, and we can beat the U.S. with that style," he said.

Slovenia will advance to the second round if it beats the United States at Ellis Park.

those vuvu things are annoying and people should stop it with that crap

who goes to a game to blow a horn for two hours? maybe a bandmember, but not a fan

switzerland over spain = by far the biggest upset of the first round

Ryan: **** your dribbling! This is important. EVERY team in this stupid tournament has a nickname! Even Cameroon has a nickname, and I thought Cameroon was just a cookie before someone told me it was a place full of Africans! The British are the Three Lions! The Italians are the BLUE FAGGOTS! And the Canadians are the ****head Mountie Salmonblowers Who Couldn’t Make The Cut! AM I RIGHT?

lolol

I can't help but to think that those things would be great to use when the opponent's offense is on the field ....... Hmmmmm

I was actually thinking about that today, almost surprised that things like that aren't used in stadiums when you consider how effective they would be.

I guess Americans simply value their hearing.

:D

I was actually thinking about that today, almost surprised that things like that aren't used in stadiums when you consider how effective they would be.

I guess Americans simply value their hearing.

:D

South Africans keep claiming they invented these horns and that its based on the Kudu horn african chiefs used to assemble their tribes together. But lots of Americans say they saw these exact same horns at football games in the 60s and they were quickly banned.

On a non-horn note, the Swiss beat Spain. Another top ranked team takes a fall. It seems to be that the way is being cleared for Germany to take the cup. All the other top teams are screwing up but Germany looks outstanding.

I watched the Switzerland-Spain game on my DVR. The amazing thing about the Swiss winning is that Spain played GREAT but couldn't finish. They held possession nearly 70 % of the time and completed more passes (337) in the 1st half than the average World Cup team had done in a full game (315) going into the match.

Switzerland, meanwhile, now hasn't given up a goal in their last 500+ minutes of World Cup play (they haven't allowed a goal in the WC since 1994). If they score at all in this tournament they're deadly.

Archived