*** Official 2010 World Cup Thread ***

The Gun Of Bavaria

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

France is currently taking on Mexico. While the Mexicans are of course our Western Hemisphere rivals, they're the lesser of 2 evils in this important match. F*** France.

Nothing would make me happier than Uruguay and Mexico moving on from group play, sending France packing.

France is currently taking on Mexico. While the Mexicans are of course our Western Hemisphere rivals, they're the lesser of 2 evils in this important match. F*** France.

Nothing would make me happier than Uruguay and Mexico moving on from group play, sending France packing.

+1

As crap as Diego Forlan was for Manchester United I can't help but love him. A true hero.

+1

As crap as Diego Forlan was for Manchester United I can't help but love him. A true hero.

:eek:

forlan-vs-pool-the-offside.jpg

Diego whoah ohh ohh

Diego whoah ohh ohh

He came from Uruguay

He made the Scousers cry!

article-1268143-09418C06000005DC-275_468x286.jpg

Diego whoah ohh ohh

Diego whoah ohh ohh

He comes from Uruguay

He still makes the Scousers cry!

He could have done f**k all (okay, he never really settled), and he'd still have been worth every penny.

And he made Lily Allen cry last month. :rl:

:eek:

forlan-vs-pool-the-offside.jpg

Diego whoah ohh ohh

Diego whoah ohh ohh

He came from Uruguay

He made the Scousers cry!

article-1268143-09418C06000005DC-275_468x286.jpg

Diego whoah ohh ohh

Diego whoah ohh ohh

He comes from Uruguay

He still makes the Scousers cry!

He could have done f**k all (okay, he never really settled), and he'd still have been worth every penny.

And he made Lily Allen cry last month. :rl:

Haha, crap was actually a bit harsh, I was genuinely upset when we sold him, he just always needs a run of games. Can't rotate him at all.

I love how his ownage of Liverpool carried on with him to Athletico. He's easily one of my favorite players in the world.

I swear as much as I hated the bitching at the start of this tournament I really do think this ball is a major problem.

I've never seen so many free kicks, dead ****ing balls blazed over the bar. It's unbeleivable and absolutely ridiculous. As a Fermanagh fan it's especially annoying.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear as much as I hated the bitching at the start of this tournament I really do think this ball is a major problem.

I've never seen so many free kicks, dead ****ing balls blazed over the bar. It's unbeleivable and absolutely ridiculous. As a Fermanagh fan it's especially annoying.

Agreed on the free kick issue, it's mental nobody seems to be able to bend it over the wall and down. Why would a Fermanagh fan be annoped though, isn't that what you're supposed to do in bogball? Or has Blinkers gone and changed the Gaaliban rules again? :mrgreen:

And fair play to the Mexican fans for outshouting those damned horns. Couldn't believe how s**t France were.

France is a joke. Mexico should have won 5-0.

Messi has been the best player in the entire tournament. Argentina is the team to beat. that lil ****er is just unbelievable with the ball.

From watching the highlights I think South Korea played like crap and Argentina didn't prove they are a great team this year. One of Argie's goals was an own goal by SK, one goal was shown to be an uncalled offsides on the replay and the other goals would have been stopped by a decent defense. I'm sticking to my original prediction that Argentina is no threat.

As unimpressive as England looked against the US they might be one of the best teams this year and shove it down the England haters throats.

Orale mucha! cuatro horas y Media para este grand partido con estados unidos Y Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeslovania.

Quen tiene la primer gol gano en este partido.

Oh..and the eeeeeeeeeeeeeee...is because every time I go to Mexico and ask for a sprite..they always say Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesprite..lol

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/columns/story/_/id/5296951/ce/us/previewing-us-slovenia&cc=5901?ver=us

The U.S. men's national team will take on Slovenia on Friday in its second World Cup encounter. It's a match that has "trap game" written all over it.

With the U.S.' encouraging 1-1 tie with England, the temptation for the Americans is to think that their toughest game is behind them. And given the modest pedigree of the opponent, the U.S. is -- for the first time in its World Cup history -- considered the favorite.

Fair enough. But Slovenia represents the kind of opponent that has long been the Americans' nemesis.

Slovenia has enough size and strength to match up with the U.S. physically and has plenty of skill. The team also has the kind of organized defense that, historically, the Americans have struggled to break down. Throw in Slovenia's counterattack, which borders on lethal, and you have an opponent that stacks up against the U.S. very well, despite its lack of stars.

"[slovenia] aren't going to be spectacular, but they're going to be a good, solid team and they're going to be difficult to beat," U.S. midfielder Landon Donovan said. "In theory it seems easier because they don't have a Wayne Rooney or a Frank Lampard or a Steven Gerrard. The reality is, when you have a team that plays well together, it becomes very difficult to beat a team like that."

Of course, the U.S. has long thrived on a similar set of attributes. That means there is some question as to which team will try to press the issue offensively. On the one hand, the fact that Slovenia won its first match against Algeria means that the U.S. is the side in more dire need of a win. Then again, the argument could be made that the chance for Slovenia to clinch passage to the second round with a victory will be too big an opportunity to pass up.

Yet it seems likely that the U.S. will feel the pressure to attack and score. This, history has proved, does not play to the team's strengths. While players like Donovan and Clint Dempsey have plenty of creativity, maintaining possession has long been a problem for the Americans. It'll only be more of a challenge against Slovenia's defense, which is adept at disrupting a team's rhythm. Breaching such a stingy back line will require all elements of the U.S. attack to be operating at their peak.

"When a team is organized like that, at some point you have to take some risks if you want to score," Donovan said. "Certainly part of that is getting our outside backs involved. And then another big part of the game is set pieces and how we do with our deliveries and how we are in front of goal when we get chances."

That also means a dynamic passer, such as midfielder Jose Torres, could be added to the starting lineup. Torres certainly sounds as though he has the right mind-set to find whatever holes exist in the Slovenian defense.

"When a team sits back and they're just waiting for a counterattack, a team has to be patient and has to have possession of the ball -- not look for the long ball and just see what we can get off of that," Torres said. "This is where the experience comes out of every player, you know? We have to keep possession and not get frustrated, and let them come out a little bit. And when there's open gaps try to put the ball through and try to make something happen."

That patience will be needed to blunt Slovenia's counterattacking game, which is orchestrated by midfielders Robert Koren and Valter Birsa. Koren is the player through whom much of Slovenia's attack flows. Birsa is the Slovenian version of Dempsey, a player who can deliver the unexpected, either off the dribble or with a pass.

Another performer who seemed poised to give the U.S. trouble was forward Zlatko Dedic, a pesky, high-energy player who has a knack for scoring vital goals. But Dedic was disappointing in the Algeria match, struggling mightily with his touch and was pulled after just 53 minutes. Zlatan Ljubijankic could be in line to take his place alongside target man Milivoje Novakovic.

An additional concern for the U.S. is its feeble 0-5 history against Eastern European teams in World Cup games. Granted, that history has little to do with the current U.S. team, but its performance in recent friendlies, such as a 1-0 loss to Slovakia in November, is enough to raise a red flag.

"Those were games where I think we just didn't make the plays needed," Donovan said. "It wasn't like we were dominated; it wasn't like they were clearly better. We just need to make plays that make a difference. At this level -- and you've seen it in all of the [World Cup] games so far -- it just comes down to a play or two."

Gaining a win Friday will also require the U.S. to manage expectations. In the past, the team has not been comfortable as the favorite. But if the U.S. is to reach the second round, Donovan & Co. will need to make a habit of winning when they're expected to win.

"I've always said, especially after last year, that we can compete with any team in the world, and we believe that," Donovan said. "What makes teams great is [doing] it three, four, five, six, seven times in a row. We haven't proven that we can do that yet. That's what we need to prove this time, and we have a chance on Friday night."

I dont like this match up. it reminds me of 2006 against the chechs. If the US loses this game they will have to finally hire a European coach for the national team. this game will come down to coaching, I'm afraid. and if I go by my gut..the US chances are slim and none. the US has to score the 1st goal to have any chance today!

I dont like this match up. it reminds me of 2006 against the chechs. If the US loses this game they will have to finally hire a European coach for the national team. this game will come down to coaching, I'm afraid. and if I go by my gut..the US chances are slim and none. the US has to score the 1st goal to have any chance today!

It's ****ing soccer. Half the time one goal is all it takes to win the game.

US won this game but the ref from Mali was being paid off it looks like

screwed the americans on a bunch of calls

us scored to go up 3-2 AND Bradley was being fouled in the box yet the ref disallowed it

he should be fired and tarred and feathered

unreal

us scored to go up 3-2 AND Bradley was being fouled in the box yet the ref disallowed it

unreal

unreal

That was one of the ugliest ref jobs I've ever seen in any sport.

Nice job coming back. I don't understand why this team always plays poorly at the beginning of games. We just continue to have problems on defense. I could have scored the first Slovenian goal. The defense gave him all the room in the world to shoot and he buried it.

At least they showed some heart in the second half. Donovan was great. Altidore was active. Clint Dempsey was really a non-factor in the game. The US should have won, if were not for the atrocious refereeing. I didn't see a foul or offsides on the Edu goal. The referee was ****ing terrible all game and it may have cost the US in the end.

Is it too much to ask that we beat Algeria and hold them to no goals?

unreal

Disgraceful decision. In fact there were about 3 penalty appeals in there for the US. You guys were absolutely screwed and ruins what was the game of the tournament.

Donovan's goal was sexual. Put the ****ing fear of God into the keeper.

Sucks that you guys were ****ed over like that, gives you glimpse into our world. I still think you guys will get through, just beat Algeria by more than one goal.

Archived