*** Official 2010 World Cup Thread ***

The Gun Of Bavaria

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What happened to the idea that African teams would rule an African world cup? Only Ghana is in a good position right now.

I have to say that my prediction that Argentina would self destruct doesn't look very good right now but I am sticking with it. Maradona can't stay sane for very much longer.

Ghana is actually in a tough spot right now. If they lose to Germany, Serbia beats Australia, both of which are likely, Ghana goes home.

Ghana is actually in a tough spot right now. If they lose to Germany, Serbia beats Australia, both of which are likely, Ghana goes home.

Agreed. Ghana really needed to beat Australia with the one-man advantage they had for the final 65 minutes of the match. I had them making it out of their group along with Germany, but it definitely appears Germany and Serbia are the likely two to make it out.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=%22curse+of+the+vuvuzela%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Google shows 2,400 instances of the string "curse of the vuvuzela" on the internet. And thats without the term catching on in the US. People hate these damn things.

they're banned from wimbledon and a bunch of other places as well

can you imagine tennis if someone blew that thing? the players would flip out

He's not Italian. lol..hes an American living in Italy. kind of like how Panzer is an American living in Ireland. (you did move back to that car port in Ireland, right Panzer?) :evil2:

I did move back. :mrgreen:

So, Italy can't beat New Zealand. But the French are providing even more laughs than England. Anelka gets sent home for saying "F**k you, you filthy son of a whore" to Domenech, then after a row this morning, the players go on strike, the fitness coach walks out, and the head of French football quits. Part of me wants the French to make it to the next round, if only to keep the circus rolling along. :mrgreen:

****ing typical Italians!

Ha! See you next round. No worries.

He's not Italian. lol..hes an American living in Italy. kind of like how Panzer is an American living in Ireland. (you did move back to that car port in Ireland, right Panzer?) :evil2:

I'm American when I'm in Italy and Italian when I'm in America. As long as the food is on the table I'm okay.

all the top Euro teams disappointing

england, france, spain, and italy have a grand total of ZERO wins

That always seems to happen for World Cups that don't take place on European soil. Being that the African countries have largely disappointed, this is almost like a neutral environment. The only hyped European team living up to its billing has been the Netherlands.

The Western Hemisphere, on the whole, has been cleaning up. Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico and Paraguay have been highly impressive, Brazil is Brazil, and of course the USA is looking dangerous if we can simply beat Algeria and move on.

yeah netherlands is the only euro power and the only world power aside from argentina that hasn't disappointed

how crazy is it for those four countries, which were among the top 7 or 8 favorites, to be 0/9 in wins

btw brazil has a 1-0 lead

Yep. Fabiano pulled a Donovan with his goal. Tough angle, solid strike, nothing the keeper could do. Thing is, us Americans were SO impressed by Donovan's goal that we're calling it one of the greatest goals in US history, if not the greatest. In this case, it was no big deal. Just another day in the office for the Brazilians.

Brazil always starts out slow, but we're already starting to get a taste of things to come.

Portugal 7, North Korea 0. Final.

:rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl:

So much for the Ivory Coast advancing. They need to win and make a 9 nine goal differential with the Portuguese.

Looks like Spain finally decided to show up.

Portugal 7, North Korea 0. Final.

:rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl:

I assume the North Korean security men have now been issued live ammunition for dealing with any prospective defectors. I reckon the team that returns in glorious World Cup winning triumph to the Democratic People's Republic will look rather different to the lineup we've seen the last couple of weeks....

Spain are the best team in the tournament, in terms of talent, it's not even close. Cesc Fabregas, Andres Iniesta and David Silva not even playing in that game. If they get through (Which itself is a question, Chile could get a draw) they're the team to beat.

The Brazil sqaud has a lot of overrated players in it IMO, but their system is brilliant and they're so hard to break down. Great balance in the team.

Portugal? Meh, I think North Korea made them look better than they are.

Argentina look incredibly shaky at the back - I think teams with a stronger attack will punish them. I just can't see them not getting exposed for bringing Jonas Gutierrez (An average left midfielder who plays for Newcastle United) and playing him at right back over Javier Zanetti (A world class right back who plays for the European Champion, treble winning Inter Milan).

Netherlands, who are cruising (Without their best player) are still my pick.

Another will emerge after the group stage IMO, and the way things happen in football I wouldn't be surprised if it was England, France or Italy (To a lesser extent, they have nothing going forward).

from espn:

" Mexico completed 427 passes without scoring a goal, the third-highest total by a team that failed to score at this year's World Cup. Uruguay was also the opponent for the second-highest total, when South Africa completed 430 passes in its 3-0 loss to La Celeste."

That's mexican soccer, they pass the ball around well but don't convert scoring chances. Not a big threat.

Group A & B are done. The first set of knockout match-ups:

(1A) Uruguay vs. (2B) South Korea

(1B) Mexico vs. (2A) Argentina

Groups C & D finish up tomorrow. We'll know by this time tomorrow if we've made it through, and if we do, who we'll be playing next round.

Archived