Facebook flirts with RFID Chip Integration

villain_the_foe

The beginning of the bulls**t. This is why I dont do myspace, facebooks, twitter etc.

Tracking developers in meat space

By Bill RayGet more from this author

Posted in Developer, 22nd April 2010 15:01 GMT

Free whitepaper – Taking control of your data demons: Dealing with unstructured content

Developers attending today's Facebook conference, f8, are being issued with RFID badges integrated with their Facebook profiles for clocking into site locations.

The details come from the All Facebook, which reports that Facebook is being atypically opaque about the data gathered from the radio frequency identification tags. But given the experimental nature of the service that's unsurprising - the point of the conference is to inspire people to create applications, not define their limits.

The tags are short-range, so delegates have to make an active effort to have the tag scanned, but doing so will automatically sign them up to a related Facebook group and record their presence for plotting on a wall-screen in the main hall.

It's not the first time that a conference has had RFID-enabled badges - it’s de rigeur these days - but connecting the identity to a Facebook profile opens up all sorts of opportunities for linking the online network with the real world, and for Facebook to gather yet more information about its users

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/22/facebook_rfid/

Before you know it you're going to have "Apps" that will only be available if you have an RFID chip in you. Talk about knowing where you are, your account, your money...everything facebook will know. It would be a great idea for people to start deleting their facebook pages. And if you want to see your friends, go and actually see them.

True. You even hear people getting upset for taking them off of the top friends list on myspace. This is what friendships have turned into these days.

All the time, also the all the stupid relationship drama it brings.

You people that think Facebook is out to get you are either crazy or have a ton of skeletons.

Na, it just amazes me how much info people put out there, then get mad when there's a privacy breach. I'm not crazy or have a ton of skeletons but I still don't use it. If I had a company....maybe but that's about it.

**OFF TOPIC** Ever switch out that 360?

Sounds like techno babble to me, can someone gimme a layman's breakdown of this article? What does it all mean? Facebook can track us or something?

Developers at a recent Facebook dev meeting/convention thing were issued badges that would use radio frequencies to transmit their identification--Facebook profile, making them join a fan group based on the convention, etc. for the purposes of signing up.

This was done by developers of their own volition, and the purpose was to make signing-in easier. It is not to steal their personal data or do anything they otherwise not do, it's simply a matter of convenience. Although it suits people's agendas to infer a breach of privacy from all this...

Developers at a recent Facebook dev meeting/convention thing were issued badges that would use radio frequencies to transmit their identification--Facebook profile, making them join a fan group based on the convention, etc. for the purposes of signing up.

This was done by developers of their own volition, and the purpose was to make signing-in easier. It is not to steal their personal data or do anything they otherwise not do, it's simply a matter of convenience. Although it suits people's agendas to infer a breach of privacy from all this...

Thanks War :)

This world is going to the shytes.

Na, it just amazes me how much info people put out there, then get mad when there's a privacy breach. I'm not crazy or have a ton of skeletons but I still don't use it. If I had a company....maybe but that's about it.

**OFF TOPIC** Ever switch out that 360?

It also amazes me how typing in your username and password is too hard these days so you have to get a implantable chip so when you're close to a computer it'll just log you in. Hopefully it'll read your thoughts so you dont have to type on peoples walls either.

But its all private *wink*.

It also amazes me how typing in your username and password is too hard these days so you have to get a implantable chip so when you're close to a computer it'll just log you in. Hopefully it'll read your thoughts so you dont have to type on peoples walls either.

But its all private *wink*.

Yep, it makes signing in easier and it reads your thoughts so updating your status is painless.

Come get your MyFacetwit RFID chip today!

Archived