Worst calls in baseball history?

Thor99

Umpire Richie Garcia called it a home run...but, Orioles' right fielder Tony Tarasco stretches for the ball as young Yankee fan Jeffrey Maier deflects it during Game 1 of the ALCS against the Yankees in 1996 giving Jeter the home run. You can't say I'm a "homer" putting this in the thread.

ph2006060101587.jpg

Umpire Richie Garcia called it a home run...but, Orioles' right fielder Tony Tarasco stretches for the ball as young Yankee fan Jeffrey Maier deflects it during Game 1 of the ALCS against the Yankees in 1996 giving Jeter the home run. You can't say I'm a "homer" putting this in the thread.

ph2006060101587.jpg

You can call me a homer because if you watch the replay, I wonder how Tarasco was going to catch that ball without leaving his feet. No way that ball ends up in his glove if Maier doesn't touch it and Tarasco doesn't jump. No way in hell.

It may not have been a home run, but Jeter would have been on second base with double.

You can call me a homer because if you watch the replay, I wonder how Tarasco was going to catch that ball without leaving his feet. No way that ball ends up in his glove if Maier doesn't touch it and Tarasco doesn't jump. No way in hell.

It may not have been a home run, but Jeter would have been on second base with double.

So, he has a double for arugement sake, that doesn't mean Jeter scores from second. It was a game tying 8th inning HR that sent the game into extra innings. One of the worst calls I've ever seen.

As much as I love it, the Jeffrey Maier catch was a bad call.

Also in game 6 of the '85 World Series the Cardinals got jerked on a safe call at first, the runner was out by a half step.

They went on to lose that game and game 7 to the Royals, they really collapsed after that call. (*Edit, I see Thor found a picture of this one too, good job)

Baseball has it's share of bad calls, but there are terrible calls that change big outcomes like this in all sports.

:confused: Errr yeah, but it IS one less run for NY. Don't see your point.

Nah, not even close. Worst call was getting rid of Nolan Ryan.

In hindsight. At the time, Ryan wasnt a great pitcher. 29-38 record. Not even a full time starter with them. Did the Mets f#ck up by not developing him better? Yep. Was it a terrible trade? Yep. Fregosi sucked balls. But the Mets really had no idea what they were doing or had any idea of what kind of player they had... if they did, they wouldnt have traded 3 other players with Ryan.

The Ollie signing was awful since they knew full well how bad Ollie was and would continue to be. Yet they still did it.

How about this one from last years playoff game Yanks/Twins...Mauer hits the ball and it lands like 16 inches fair...Cuzzi was the ump and he's right there watching the ball land...he calls it foul.

joemauerphilcuzzi.jpg

Ridiculous. Must be a conspiracy. Or the Yankees pay the umps very well. Wonder what gifts they leave in the ump's locker room. :)

Archived