Breaking: Revis sitting out OTA's because of contract

rick34125

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously? **** him. He's a great player and I'll never doubt that, but I'm sorry, the guy's a greedy *******. Sitting out for contractual reasons three years into a six year deal? That's beyond ridiculous. He deserves some serious money, eventually, but I still don't believe he deserves to get paid before guys like Mangold, Harris and Brick. The former two have made a ****load less money than Revis has and are at least actually entering the last year of their deals. He should be thrilled that the Jets are even willing to redo his deal this early on, instead of being a pouty bitch when they could just as easily tell him to sit down, shut up and accept that he's here for at least another three years.

Honestly, part of me is starting to doubt he ever gets a new deal because this guy clearly is money obsessed, its been obvious since he was drafted.

Seriously? **** him. He's a great player and I'll never doubt that, but I'm sorry, the guy's a greedy *******. Sitting out for contractual reasons three years into a six year deal? That's beyond ridiculous. He deserves some serious money, eventually, but I still don't believe he deserves to get paid before guys like Mangold, Harris and Brick. The former two have made a ****load less money than Revis has and are at least actually entering the last year of their deals. He should be thrilled that the Jets are even willing to redo his deal this early on, instead of being a pouty bitch when they could just as easily tell him to sit down, shut up and accept that he's here for at least another three years.

Honestly, part of me is starting to doubt he ever gets a new deal because this guy clearly is money obsessed, its been obvious since he was drafted.

An easy answer to why he wants more money now -

2011 - The year of the NFL LOCKOUT!

He (more like his management) is looking to get all 0f the funds up front so they would not have to wait an additional year (if the lockout goes for a full season, contracts come to a halt prior to the lockout & do not continue until 12:00 am the morning after the NFL & NFLPA come to terms.

Just wait, he's not the only one...

And you bring out a good point/Speculation over why the Jets have not signed Shawn Ellis & other who's contracts will end on February 1, 2011.

The organization does not want to keep them on the roster for the 2012 season, only to have to pay for an entire year of non-playing due to the lockout.

- Just an observation...

Agreed. F Darrelle Revis.

I'd start putting him on the trading block...lets get some picks for him!!!

And I'd also not even consider caving right now if I was Revis. What is he going to do? Sit out? Good. Then the money hungry bastid wont be making ****. Sorry Revis, you were the bitch who held out for THIS contract, and now its not good enough for you when your team is about to make a SB run.

Sum of the parts, my friend, sum of the parts.

Doesn't make sense to me. With the CBA the way it is right now, the Jets CANT give him the money he deserves anyways. Right?

That's my understanding... I'm hoping this is just more BS from the media like his 20mil demands.

I'm amazed how quickly you guys are turning on Darelle Revis. The guy is clearly in a world of his own when it comes to impact players and having him on the team gives us a dimension that 30 other teams do not have (and 31 if you consider that Aso is not used by Oakland in the same way). I like Cromartie and have high hopes for Wilson, but comparing them to Revis is like comparing Clyde Drexler to Michael Jordan in the early 90s-same position and one is a very good player in his own right, but the other is off the charts.

I'm confident things will get done and I think the rumors about how Tannenbaum handles contracts seems to have seems to have caught fire with overrated has beens (Kendall) and highly overrated never wases (Baker) that were disgruntled that they weren't taken care of like the elite players they felt they were in their own heads.

That being said, Revis and Mangold need to get done this offseason. The 30% rule has really screwed us, but we have to get it done and get creative as possible.

I'm not going to hate on Revis because of this. It is what it is.

There's nothing wrong with being a great player and a greedy bastard at the same time.

The perfect example of that is Mariano Rivera. Mo doesn't need an agent because he is his own personal Scott Boras. Everytime his contract is up he demands top dollar from the Yanks and gets it because he knows the Yanks can't afford to be without him.

And I'd also not even consider caving right now if I was Revis. What is he going to do? Sit out? Good. Then the money hungry bastid wont be making ****. Sorry Revis, you were the bitch who held out for THIS contract, and now its not good enough for you when your team is about to make a SB run.

As I recall, Revis didn't hold out for a 6-year contract. He wanted a regular 5-year deal that everyone else got near his draft slot. The Jets were the ones who wanted something unusual: a non top-5, non-QB draftee getting a deal for greater than 5 years.

If he holds out then we truly got nothing in return for playing hardball with Revis for the extra 6th year. Further, we ended up paying him more over the first 4 years than he otherwise would have received over 5 years.

It's similar to the Jones situation last year. He is in the middle of a fair contract, but it's a down year. He is looking for bump now while he has the low salary. If they can work out a new deal and he gets some more bonus money before the lockout great for him. If not, missing OTAs probably isn't a big deal. It'll give Wilson and Cromartie more reps.

It's similar to the Jones situation last year. He is in the middle of a fair contract, but it's a down year. He is looking for bump now while he has the low salary. If they can work out a new deal and he gets some more bonus money before the lockout great for him. If not, missing OTAs probably isn't a big deal. It'll give Wilson and Cromartie more reps.

There's a difference though. Jones was on the wrong side of 30 for a young man's position. Revis is 25 and may not have even hit his prime yet.

Jones was never going to be in the Jets long term plans even under the best of circumstances. Revis needs to be.

As I recall, Revis didn't hold out for a 6-year contract. He wanted a regular 5-year deal that everyone else got near his draft slot. The Jets were the ones who wanted something unusual: a non top-5, non-QB draftee getting a deal for greater than 5 years.

If he holds out then we truly got nothing in return for playing hardball with Revis for the extra 6th year. Further, we ended up paying him more over the first 4 years than he otherwise would have received over 5 years.

Thats right...my bad. Had that backwards.

I'm mostly kidding about trading him...but honsetly, what can he do if we dont break and give him a mega contract?

Yeah, and F Darrelle Revis is one hell of a part.

This WILL get resolved, and there WILL be a new agreement by the league/union and the Pats WILL release players, re-do contracts, and piss ppl off in order to PAY brady.

Pats have their own issues ;)

Time for guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

Time for rookie wage scale.

As long as these players can be cut at any time without guarantee then I'll have no problem when they hold out for the better deal.

That would KILL some of the smaller market teams.

its a business, smart guy.

Pay the man. If he blows a knee he's caught out there.

I don't blame any player for holding out when contracts aren't guaranteed. Clearly Revis has outperformed his rookie deal.

Time for guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

Time for rookie wage scale.

As long as these players can be cut at any time without guarantee then I'll have no problem when they hold out for the better deal.

+1

Agree with all this.

Pay the man. If he blows a knee he's caught out there.

I don't blame any player for holding out when contracts aren't guaranteed. Clearly Revis has outperformed his rookie deal.

i hear ya..but 90% of contracts these days are in upfront guaranteed bonus money. the 'not guaranteed' money is minimal.

so in future, i would like to see a player who wants to renegotiate or hold out before his contract is up, to have to repay the team the % of upfront bonus money they recieved and havent 'earned' yet. i.e they signed 5 year deal and got 5 million in bonus money. After playing 3 years, in Year 4 they want to hold out. OK, but pay me 2 mill 1st.

i hear ya..but 90% of contracts these days are in upfront guaranteed bonus money. the 'not guaranteed' money is minimal.

so in future, i would like to see a player who wants to renegotiate or hold out before his contract is up, to have to repay the team the % of upfront bonus money they recieved and havent 'earned' yet. i.e they signed 5 year deal and got 5 million in bonus money. After playing 3 years, in Year 4 they want to hold out. OK, but pay me 2 mill 1st.

Sounds good to me.

Archived