Breaking: Revis sitting out OTA's because of contract

rick34125

Well, he's trying to create some by holding out, but I agree that ultimately he doesn't have much leg to stand upon.

Holding out of OTAs doesn't create leverage. It's the equivalent of shouting 'I want a new contract' instead of just saying it. The value of his services only matters to the extent that the threat to withhold them is a credible one, which is to say zip when he's locked up for three years. He has no endgame.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is no big deal. Tannenbaum said Revis will retire a Jet and he will be the highest paid DB in the league, it will happen.

My take on it is, Tanny probably cracked out a deal that Revis and his agent didn't approve. Revis has been at OTA's thus far until now so something happened. He probably turned down the offer for more money.

Like I said. I'm not worried. Our GM knows what Revis is worth and he'll get every penny. The best DB in the NFL should be paid like it.

A lot of Jets players are saw what happened to Leon Washington. Leon was "a good ole boy".. he didn't hold out or anything and was a ultimate team guy. However, if lue of receiving his deal he had a devastating leg injury. Both Fibula and Tibia were fractured. It destroyed his chances at getting a new deal. If he had held out and been a pain in the a*s he probably would have gotten a contract that satisfied him. A lot of Jets players (players in general) fear this.

Revis (without a deal) will be playing for a million dollars this year. However, he signed his rookie deal., HONER IT!... but of course, it doesn't work like that. So from a business standpoint he's just doing his due diligence, to get paid before September. Can't really blame him.

i hear ya..but 90% of contracts these days are in upfront guaranteed bonus money. the 'not guaranteed' money is minimal.

so in future, i would like to see a player who wants to renegotiate or hold out before his contract is up, to have to repay the team the % of upfront bonus money they recieved and havent 'earned' yet. i.e they signed 5 year deal and got 5 million in bonus money. After playing 3 years, in Year 4 they want to hold out. OK, but pay me 2 mill 1st.

The owners all ready hold 90% of the cards, you want to give them the rest?

Holding out is the only recourse players have. Revis is the best CB in football, and he has the right to want to be paid accordingly. How much longer can he expect to earn top dollar in his profession? Another 10 years maybe? Is he expected to waste any of them for the good of the team that would drop him like yesterday's news if he failed to produce?

You go, Revis. Rex has made it clear that his defense depends on you. Get what you can.

They need to pay Mangold, too.

Holding out is the only recourse players have. Revis is the best CB in football, and he has the right to want to be paid accordingly. How much longer can he expect to earn top dollar in his profession? Another 10 years maybe? Is he expected to waste any of them for the good of the team that would drop him like yesterday's news if he failed to produce?

You go, Revis. Rex has made it clear that his defense depends on you. Get what you can.

the upfront bonus % vs salary % is something i know owners will address in upcoming contracts..too many guys getting huge bonuses, then sucking it up and not producing.

i understand why union has upfront bonus, it protects players cause contracts can be voided in nfl.

its a tuf one for sure..

How?

If you have guaranteed contracts, with a cap, it's going to handcuff teams in the longterm. Remember the contract Shaun Alexander got a few years ago? He was cut within a couple years. What if they HAD to pay him all that money? The smaller market teams would lose out in FA, since they couldn't afford to gamble on a big contract.

Why would a team offer a player more than a 1 or 2 year deal if they're on the hook for a huge contract? The players would end up getting screwed. It's better how it is now, for the teams and players.

Now, if you wanted to take away the cap, it may work. However, you'll end up having what you have in baseball, where the richest teams would dominate. The parity that makes the NFL great would be nearly gone.

Until players are forced to pay back any money they were overpaid, then they need to shutup and honor the deals they signed. Nobody held a gun to Revis' head and made him sign the deal he did. He was massively overpaid his rookie year, I didn't hear him apologizing about it and handing money back to the Jets. It's one thing if you're nearing the end of your deal, but he agreed to a long term contract and was completely fine with it when he was getting overpaid, but now suddenly its no longer any good? It's a load of crap.

I don't even have a problem with him wanting a new deal and negotiating with the Jets for one, but holding out because you didn't think the offer the team gave you three months before the start of your 4th season during your 6 year deal wasn't extravagant enough for you? That's absurd. If this were the start of training camp in July 2012 I'd understand, but it's OTA's in June 2010 and him holding out is crap.

If you have guaranteed contracts, with a cap, it's going to handcuff teams in the longterm. Remember the contract Shaun Alexander got a few years ago? He was cut within a couple years. What if they HAD to pay him all that money? The smaller market teams would lose out in FA, since they couldn't afford to gamble on a big contract.

Why would a team offer a player more than a 1 or 2 year deal if they're on the hook for a huge contract? The players would end up getting screwed. It's better how it is now, for the teams and players.

Now, if you wanted to take away the cap, it may work. However, you'll end up having what you have in baseball, where the richest teams would dominate. The parity that makes the NFL great would be nearly gone.

agree, no cap killed baseball...

nfl should keep for parity etc..

just saw this on mehta's twitter:

headshot_Manish_Mehta_bigger.jpg TheJetsStream

1. BREAKING: Darrelle Revis is not at OTAs because he's unhappy with contractual situation, according to league source. #nfl #nyj #jets

that kind of sux. hope they can figure this out.

I hate players like this. If their TRUE goal is to win a Superbowl, then they should do what's best for the team, not just themselves.

you mean besides being a man and honoring your contract. player can always forgoe some cash up front and get an incentive-laden deal if they are so worried about being underpaid in the later years of his deal. revis didn't take that risk-he wanted the most cash possible-which is fine but having it both ways is disingenuous.

the thing that irks me is this: 3 days ago revis said he had the jets offer, was reviewing it, and if the numbers made sense he would sign. now it's so terrible that he's holding out? wouldn't he have known the offer was unacceptable right off the bat?

strategic holdout only. it will get resolved.

this could be a huge problem soon enough.there are a few problems i can see with this.first,the whole cba thing is going to handcuff the jets in what they can offer.

second,al davis really screwed the jets on this one.paid that dude from oakland 15m per.we all beleive revis is the better player and so does revis.why wouldnt revis want to be the top paid player at his position?he is the best.now ask yourself who is the second highest paid corner back?10m per?that is a huge difference.thats 50% above market rate.

sounds like the jets want to pay the guy,but the offer is probably in the 10m per range.tanny knowing how this was going to unfold,is probably the reason for trading for cromartie and drafting wilson

And players should be fined and suspended for not owning up to the contracts that they themselves signed.

its the way it is ...if they play great they want olkd contract riipped up and a new contract with a new huge signing bonus ..

if they play crappy, they want to keep the signing bonus from before (i dont recall a player saying i have played bad and i want to refund some of my signing bonus) ,,all they risk is being cut and losing what is usually a small yearly salary..and they know many times for cap reasons, the team has to keep them on roster,,aka gholston..

you mean besides being a man and honoring your contract.

the thing that irks me is this: 3 days ago revis said he had the jets offer, was reviewing it, and if the numbers made sense he would sign. now it's so terrible that he's holding out? wouldn't he have known the offer was unacceptable right off the bat?

strategic holdout only. it will get resolved.

The owners can cut any player at any time. The fail to honor contracts all the time. Why should the players be held to a higher standard? If anything, it should be the opposite. The owners will make more and more money up until the day they die or sell their team, while the players' window to make real money is very small in comparison.

Every player has the right to hold out for more money if that's what they want to do. It's part of the process. If the team feels they can get by without that player, they can let him sit out until week 10. Revis has more leverage than most players. I think he's smart to apply it.

And really, it's the OTA's. Who cares?

its the way it is ...if they play great they want olkd contract riipped up and a new contract with a new huge signing bonus ..

if they play crappy, they want to keep the signing bonus from before (i dont recall a player saying i have played bad and i want to refund some of my signing bonus) ,,all they risk is being cut and losing what is usually a small yearly salary..and they know many times for cap reasons, the team has to keep them on roster,,aka gholston..

The flipside is a guy like Leon Washington, who took his chances and now will likely never see the kind of money he might've made before he got hurt. In one play, these guys can go from having a promising financial future to no future at all. Of course they want money up front.

The owners can cut any player at any time. The fail to honor contracts all the time. Why should the players be held to a higher standard? If anything, it should be the opposite. The owners will make more and more money up until the day they die or sell their team, while the players' window to make real money is very small in comparison.

Every player has the right to hold out for more money if that's what they want to do. It's part of the process. If the team feels they can get by without that player, they can let him sit out until week 10. Revis has more leverage than most players. I think he's smart to apply it.

hey, i understand we're never going to agree on this and that you're reflexively "pro labor" but equating players and their unions with blue collar guys scratching out a living is an insult to working americans. these guys signed their deal. if they want to protect themself against getting cut: give up some salary for up-front signing bonus. afraid you'll outperform and be underpaid in 3rd year of your deal? give up some signing bonus for more incentives. gotta manage your risk.

all welland good if there was no such thing as 90% of contract being in upfront signing bonus..

thats where the rub comes to mgt. you have 90% of money on day one and in 5 yr contract after 3 years you want to rip it up.

I would be in favor of all this if the money was always spread evenly over life of contract. Or maybe a certain % of contract life money toied to upfront bonus..say no more than 20% or something,, just brainstorming here,,

like i said, tuf situation..

The flipside is a guy like Leon Washington, who took his chances and now will likely never see the kind of money he might've made before he got hurt. In one play, these guys can go from having a promising financial future to no future at all. Of course they want money up front.

money up front fine, but honor the contract dont u think? or repay % of signing bonus..

The "honoring contract" argument is so bogus.

Teams don't honor the contract of players, so why should players be held to a different standard?

The Jets agreed to pay Jones $5 million this year but didn't want to honor his contract so they cut him.

Teams don't honor the contract of players, so why should players be held to a different standard?

The Jets agreed to pay Jones $5 million this year but didn't want to honor his contract so they cut him.

when 75-90 % of most contracts are in day one signing money, honoring contracts is huge..

the actual yearly salaries are usually not much. Plkayers structure the deals with agents,

In JOnes case he signed a deal after he was traded to Jets:

From daily News:

Jones passed a physical Tuesday and agreed to a $20 million, four-year contract with the Jets, $12 million of which is guaranteed. Jones will be paid $13.1 million in the first two years of the deal.

The Jets honored the contract,,what did they break??? In NFL the teams have to honor upfront bonus money and all players/agents know in NFL the contyracts are voidable as far as year ly salaries. That being the case , they didnt do anything unknown.

Time for guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

Time for rookie wage scale.

As long as these players can be cut at any time without guarantee then I'll have no problem when they hold out for the better deal.

Actually there are guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Just not the full contract, When you see those 5 year 60 million, with 26 guaranteed to be paid in the first three years, it is actually a 3 year 26 million dollar contract. The rest is fluff for the agent

Actually there are guaranteed contracts in the NFL. Just not the full contract, When you see those 5 year 60 million, with 26 guaranteed to be paid in the first three years, it is actually a 3 year 26 million dollar contract. The rest is fluff for the agent

hey, i understand we're never going to agree on this and that you're reflexively "pro labor" but equating players and their unions with blue collar guys scratching out a living is an insult to working americans. these guys signed their deal. if they want to protect themself against getting cut: give up some salary for up-front signing bonus. afraid you'll outperform and be underpaid in 3rd year of your deal? give up some signing bonus for more incentives. gotta manage your risk.

This is strictly a football player discussion for me.

Owners agree to contracts with players then cut them. Or they force them to take paycuts down the road. Where's the honoring of contracts there? And that happens all the time. For every guy at the level of a Revis, there are 50 guys who'll get cut or have their pay cut this year.

When teams force players to take a paycut, that player has the option to say no thanks and take a look at the market. If there is no market, he comes crawling back. If a player is significantly over-performing his contract, he has the right to hold out for more. If the team doesn't think he's worth it, or wants to toe a hard line, they can refuse to renegotiate.

FWIW, I'm very much in favor of a rookie salary cap. I'd tie it in with shorter, guaranteed contracts. Give them all the opportunity to to make real money after three years when they've proven themselves at the NFL level.

when 75-90 % of most contracts are in day one signing money, honoring contracts is huge..

the actual yearly salaries are usually not much. Plkayers structure the deals with agents,

From daily News:

Jones passed a physical Tuesday and agreed to a $20 million, four-year contract with the Jets, $12 million of which is guaranteed. Jones will be paid $13.1 million in the first two years of the deal.

The Jets honored the contract,,what did they break??? In NFL the teams have to honor upfront bonus money and all players/agents know in NFL the contyracts are voidable as far as year ly salaries. That being the case , they didnt do anything unknown.

Are you kidding?

He had a year left at over $5M, and the Jets cut him so as not to pay it. They didn't honor that contract at all.

I get that contracts are structured that way on purpose, for exactly that reason, but no one should sweat when the very few players who have some leverage opt to use it. Revis' prime earning years will be over inside of 10 years. He'd be a fool to not seek every penny he could.

As long as he's on the field Week 1 who cares.

Revis is close to unhuman good. Let him do what he wants.

?? No way. It goes to principal. He's suppose to be there. He's got a new CB opposite him and a new safety to get some chemistry with. Jets supposidly promise him a new contract before TC. THAT'S the time to pull this Houdini act not now.

I wouldn't put this past him. His uncle sat out the entire 1997 season because he wouldn't accept the contract the Redskins offered him and he ended up getting franchised. He was ready to sit out the 98 season as well after they franchised him again, but they wound up trading him the the Panthers. Must run in the family.

Honor the contract that they themselves signed?

Exhibit A: Thomas Jones

Exhibit B: Alan Faneca

Exhibit C: Brandon Moore (the Jets obviously wanted him back, yet cut him failing to honor his contract and then signed him back prior to the 2009 season)

From daily News:

The Jets honored what contract? From reality: The Jets cut Thomas Jones with approximately $6m of that $20M still due and owing. The Jets didn't honor ****.

Also, where the **** did you get that 75-90% of the contract is signing bonus statistic?

Archived