UN urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet

ZachEY

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the global population surges towards a predicted 9.1 billion people by 2050, western tastes for diets rich in meat and dairy products are unsustainable, says the report from United Nations Environment Programme's (UNEP) international panel of sustainable resource management.

Interesting that the UN wants to tell everyone what to eat and drive based on sustainability but they gloss over the real problem. 9.1 Billion people on the planet including an emerging middle class all over Asia and South America that want to eat more sugar and meat.

Imagine a smaller richer population with less over all conflict. Where would the UN be in that scenario? The UN will do very well in a world of near starvation, loads of conflict, and all the other problems associated with 9.1 billion people. Interesting that they don't consider that a problem.

The West has done a pretty good job of feeding it's population and exporting surplus food. The UN would now like us to eat less and supply more food to the rest of the world who's population is exploding.

I was a vegetarian (and vegan for periods when convenient) for almost 4 years in my early-20's. I eventually stopped because, despite all of the positives, I began eating very unhealthy when I was working full-time and taking 3 grad classes per semester. I was up at 6am and didn't get home until after 11pm, which meant that I was always eating on the run. Despite being in NYC, an area that is one of the easiest in which to follow such a diet, it's still difficult to make healthy choices when you're at the mercy of take-out places. The result was eating a completely unbalanced diet that consisted of way too many carbs, even with supplementing with protein shakes (vegan, non-whey) in the morning.

I started with re-introducing fish, followed by chicken, and eventually went back to being a full-on carnivore. Knowing what I know, I feel like a hypocrite, but I've found that my apathy towards such things has increased in proportion with increases in responsibilities and other stresses in my life.

I've been doing more "clean" eating of late and have decreased my meat consumption somewhat, but can't see myself ever going back to being a full-time vegetarian. That is, unless my wife decided to and started cooking all meat-free meals.

Completely agree.

There's a push now for what's called 'meat free mondays'. Truth is, with the size of our population, if people even took that up, it would make a substantial difference. I just don't see it happening though. We're all very content.

That's one word for it. Living for today is an epidemic that is at the root of a lot of society's ills, like the financial crisis, and the looming energy crisis. At least a few generations ago we had the character to take responsibility for the messes we created, these days we get mad when someone doesn't fix it for us. (like all those losing their homes) The truth is that this country will be eclipsed as the worlds super power within 50 years and it'll be amusing to watch the look of shock on the palinites face when they realize american dominance isn't a divine right. We're fat and happy.. and stupid, and lazy, and weak, and irresponsible, and in possession of a strong entitlement mentality. (Admitedly, this has less to do with eating meat then other more pressing problems)

That's one word for it. Living for today is an epidemic that is at the root of a lot of society's ills, like the financial crisis, and the looming energy crisis. At least a few generations ago we had the character to take responsibility for the messes we created, these days we get mad when someone doesn't fix it for us. (like all those losing their homes) The truth is that this country will be eclipsed as the worlds super power within 50 years and it'll be amusing to watch the look of shock on the palinites face when they realize american dominance isn't a divine right. We're fat and happy.. and stupid, and lazy, and weak, and irresponsible, and in possession of a strong entitlement mentality. (Admitedly, this has less to do with eating meat then other more pressing problems)

I've been doing business in China for about 20 years. I used to think they were going to take over the world. They were lean, mean and working their asses off and getting richer by the day.

Now I go to China and see a fat, lazy middle class with their little emperors from their one child policy. They aren't going to conquer anything.

Our country still has a tremendous resource. Personal freedom. We may be fat and dumb but we still attract a huge group of bright motivated immigrants who will keep us either on top or near the top unless we do something terribly stupid, give up our freedom for some new world order.

Interesting that the UN wants to tell everyone what to eat and drive based on sustainability but they gloss over the real problem. 9.1 Billion people on the planet including an emerging middle class all over Asia and South America that want to eat more sugar and meat.

Imagine a smaller richer population with less over all conflict. Where would the UN be in that scenario? The UN will do very well in a world of near starvation, loads of conflict, and all the other problems associated with 9.1 billion people. Interesting that they don't consider that a problem.

The West has done a pretty good job of feeding it's population and exporting surplus food. The UN would now like us to eat less and supply more food to the rest of the world who's population is exploding.

Maybe we should just export more condoms. Problem solved.

I completely agree, population is the largest problem. But what do we do about that? Cap births? Mandatory sterilization?

I completely agree, population is the largest problem. But what do we do about that? Cap births? Mandatory sterilization?

You don't have to do anything.

Nature is the cap. Disease, starvation, natural disasters are all methods of natural population control. Unatural takes the form of murder. Millions of people die everyday.

The pundits scream about the rising birth rate, but ignore that the death rate is rising as well.

Nature is the cap. Disease, starvation, natural disasters are all methods of natural population control. Unatural takes the form of murder. Millions of people die everyday.

The pundits scream about the rising birth rate, but ignore that the death rate is rising as well.

The death rate is not nearly keeping pace with the birth rate. We've done a pretty good job of negating the natural factors you cite.

I've been doing business in China for about 20 years. I used to think they were going to take over the world. They were lean, mean and working their asses off and getting richer by the day.

Now I go to China and see a fat, lazy middle class with their little emperors from their one child policy. They aren't going to conquer anything.

Our country still has a tremendous resource. Personal freedom. We may be fat and dumb but we still attract a huge group of bright motivated immigrants who will keep us either on top or near the top unless we do something terribly stupid, give up our freedom for some new world order.

I thought we put a fence up for that?

Nothing like a good old pandemic to knock down our release of carbons and intake of red meat and Carvel.

The death rate is not nearly keeping pace with the birth rate. We've done a pretty good job of negating the natural factors you cite.

Not really, because natural disasters make up the difference.

We could vaccinate people from a disease, but then there is a massive earthquake, tsunami, or hurricane that kills tens of thousands of people to make up for it.

Not really, because natural disasters make up the difference.

We could vaccinate people from a disease, but then there is a massive earthquake, tsunami, or hurricane that kills tens of thousands of people to make up for it.

Nonetheless, the population is growing every year.

The key word was "BRIGHT". The bright one's immigrate the legal way and work at becoming citizens. The dumb one's pay to get smuggeled in or swim their way in.

That's cool.

Funny thing was my parents were illegals once upon a time. Guess that makes them stupid.

And yet, the population continues to grow... so?

And yet, the population continues to grow... so?

On the bright side nuclear proliferation the over use of anti biotics along with the growing number of super infections and increasing severe storms due to global warming along with the chance of massive flooding of coastal areas presents a tremendous opportunity to reverse this trend.

You have to stop being so pessimistic. Past performance is no indication of future returns.

This is where you're wrong. I didn't open the door on that, which is a world of difference. Maybe you should read that fun stuff again.

Those fake boobies where Just beggin for your condem- nation.. Damn them ... damn Them tohe'll

..And the Angel Of The Lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of

slumber. And took me on high, and higher still, until we moved through the

spaces 'betwixt the air itself. And he brought me unto a vast farmland of our

own midwest. And as we decended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.

One thousand, 'nay, a million voices, full of fear. And terror posessed me

then. And I begged, "Angel Of The Lord, what are these totured screams?" and

the Angel said unto me, "These are the Cries Of The Carrots. The Cries Of The

Carrots, Y'see Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is Harvest Day, and to them, it is

The Holocaust."

..And I sprang from my slumber, drenched in sweat, like the tears of a

million terrified brothers. And, Lord, Hear me now, I have seen the light,

They have a conciousness, They have a life, They have a soul. Damn You! Let

the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!

Can I get an "Amen?"

(collective "AMEN!")

Can I get a Hallelujah?

(collective "HALLELUJAH!")

Thank you, Jesus!

This. Is. Necessary.

This. Is. Necessary.

Life. Feeds on life.

Feeds on life.

Feeds on life.

Feeds on This. Is. Necessary.

This is where you're wrong. I didn't open the door on that, which is a world of difference. Maybe you should read that fun stuff again.

That's a matter of opinion but do you really want to go there again?

Archived