Is Clemens a dead duck - ala July 22nd 2010?

BaumerJet

From Cimini's ESPN article on May 27, 2010:

Keeping the seat warm for Brunell

By Rich Cimini

There's a feeling around the Jets that it's only a matter of time before the team signs free-agent QB Mark Brunell, most recently of the New Orleans Saints.

By rule, they can't sign Brunell now because of the so-called "Final Eight" rules. To add him now, they'd have to lose an unrestricted free agent, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon. Therefore, they will have to wait until July 22, when the restriction is lifted.

But the Jets, who had a good visit last month with Brunell, are willing to wait. There are some whispers that they already have a wink-and-nod agreement with Brunell, the former longtime Jacksonville Jaguars starter. Why Brunell, who will be 40 for the season? They want to add a pair of veteran eyes to help the development of Mark Sanchez.

Sanchez already has more career starts than backup Kellen Clemens (15 to nine), and there's a sense that Sanchez could really benefit from a mentor-type player. It's a tough situation for Clemens, a good soldier, but he knows the writing is on the wall. The Jets tried to trade him before the draft, but found no takers and decided to keep him around through the off-season workouts, letting him run the offense while Sanchez recovers from knee surgery.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets/post/_/id/501/keeping-the-seat-warm-for-brunell

Remember, Per the "Final Eight" rules, the Jets can't sign Brunell until July 22 unless they lose an unrestricted free agent. Plus strong rumors that they already have a "wink-and-nod" agreement with Brunell have been hitting the airwaves since memorial day weekend.

Clemens, who I was never really a fan of (Foxjet & can verify my feeling on that subject could definitely be looking for a new home.

Discuss...

I think this has been a long time coming, but I just find it a little surprising that under the circumstances Clemens is still getting all of the first-team reps while Sanchez is out of 11-on-11s. The only thing I can think is they're either keeping Clemens around as a safety net in case they miss out on Brunell, or I guess they figure they'd rather have the rest of the offensive players taking reps with who they feel is the better QB of the three in order to help them out, and aren't so concerned about getting 1st team reps for one of the other guys who are nothing more than their 3rd QB.

KC is a goner for sure. MB not really the guy I want leading this team if need be at any given time.

I see a few surpriseing cuts in the near future. There a few unhappy players who want long-term deals and deserve them. Could get interesting.

Someone remind me why a mentor has to be a player on the active roster instead of bringing in another coach?

I don't get the mentor thing either. All I want out of my # 2 QB is someone who can step in and reasonably keep the ship afloat. Clemens is not that guy, unless of course he gets to face the # 32 defense in the NFL every time that happens.

I don't get the mentor thing either. All I want out of my # 2 QB is someone who can step in and reasonably keep the ship afloat. Clemens is not that guy, unless of course he gets to face the # 32 defense in the NFL every time that happens.

At age 40, Brunell isn't any more likely to be that guy either.

why cut clemens, why not cut ainge or oconnell?

Oconnel was worlds better at the OTA I saw.... thats why

and judging by the fact that the OP cannot even spell Clemens name... I say he is gone... lol

From what we saw of Clemens last season, subbing for Sanchez while he was injured; Shotty not trusting him to throw the ball at all; I would say he is a goner.

I suppose some team will sign him and give him a shot; I just can't think of which team that might be right now.

Maybe he will join Dante Culpepper in the UFL.

I feel sorry for Clemens.

Besides failing to win a QB battle after 3 tries, people still can't spell his name right after 4 years on the team.

I fixed it. Was driving me nuts.

It's not like there isn't a pretty famous pitcher - who was an arch-rival of and then pitched for the Yankees over a 20+ year career - with the same name with the same spelling.

I agree. Kerry Collins would be ideal if he were available. And why have we shown zero interest in Jeff Garcia?

Maybe we can offer Tennesee a late round pick for Collins. Why are they keeping him? Vince Young is the starter. I'd also rather have Garcia over Brunell.

Any of the names I mentioned are better than Clemens, Ainge and probably O'Connell too.

they need scratch to sign the core four

and by cutting him, they lose nothing to the cap & save 1.3 mil in the process.

Also, by keeping him in for the OTA's and early mini-camp, he will have a chance to be scouted.

and by cutting him, they lose nothing to the cap & save 1.3 mil in the process.

Also, by keeping him in for the OTA's and early mini-camp, he will have a chance to be scouted.

There is no cap. I didn't think he made that much, but I checked and he's getting $1.176M. The other two are under $500K. If they were saving money they wouldn't be looking to sign Brunell to do a coaches job.

They don't save anything by cutting him as I recall. He was tagged as a RFA, guaranteeing his salary for this year. Don't know how that changes, if at all, if he's cut and another team picks him up. The Jets may still be on the hook for his salary even if he signs with someone else, in which case it's a pure loss (that's only compounded when you add in a salary for Brunell).

They don't save anything by cutting him as I recall. He was tagged as a RFA, guaranteeing his salary for this year. Don't know how that changes, if at all, if he's cut and another team picks him up. The Jets may still be on the hook for his salary even if he signs with someone else, in which case it's a pure loss (that's only compounded when you add in a salary for Brunell).

Is that right?

They may wind up holding onto him even longer, then, hoping to get something for him in a trade if another team loses a QB in training camp or something. Not that they will. Nice to have that salary guaranteed, but he's in a rough spot.

I really liked Clemens coming out. I liked Jaws saying he was the best QB in his class. Just never happened.

I think it's the UFL or Canada for Kellen at this point.

+1

Then why is Clemens running the first team O? Maybe they are still undecided.

The minute they admit he is not the #2 and the other guys have beaten him, the chances of even getting a 6th or 7th rounder go out the window.

Maybe we can offer Tennesee a late round pick for Collins. Why are they keeping him? Vince Young is the starter. I'd also rather have Garcia over Brunell.

If they trade for Collins, they have to pay him the balance of his current contract - which I believe is in the $6.5M range. That ain't happening. Jets have traded away enough picks, too. He becomes attractive if he's cut, though.

Seems to me that Garcia is a bit of a bitch wherever he goes. He might still be able to play, but Brunell has already demonstrated that he's willing to be the good soldier in the #2 spot. I don't get the feeling that Garcia would be as content in that role.

The Jets like both Ainge and O'Connell. My hope is that one of them is actually ready to play football if they're needed.

The minute they admit he is not the #2 and the other guys have beaten him, the chances of even getting a 6th or 7th rounder go out the window.

If the Jets couldn't get a pack of Juicy Fruit Gum for Chad Pennington they won't even get an after dinner mint for Clemens

Is that right?

Yeah, it's right. It's how RFAs are protected.

They are given a tender and it can be rescinded at any time before the player signs it. If he signs it the money is guaranteed for the year.

So when the Jets cut Clemens they'll still owe him the $1 million or whatever the RFA tender amount was.

If they trade for Collins, they have to pay him the balance of his current contract - which I believe is in the $6.5M range. That ain't happening. Jets have traded away enough picks, too. He becomes attractive if he's cut, though.

Seems to me that Garcia is a bit of a bitch wherever he goes. He might still be able to play, but Brunell has already demonstrated that he's willing to be the good soldier in the #2 spot. I don't get the feeling that Garcia would be as content in that role.

The Jets like both Ainge and O'Connell. My hope is that one of them is actually ready to play football if they're needed.

Garcia runs the west coast O!! at his age, i don't think it's smart to learn a new system?

I wouldn't have tendered him to begin with.

I wouldn't have tendered him to begin with.

They figured this would be a light free agent crop this year and that someone would have offered up something for him. It wasn't a baseless gamble, but no one wanted to give up much for draft picks this year. Not for players who need new contracts and no one knows what the cap will be.

That's how we end up with

Cromartie for a 4th

Holmes for a 5th

Only getting a swap of 5th and 7th rounders for Leon

Also around the league:

Only getting a swap of 5th and 7th rounders for Carriker

Ginn for a 5th

Brady Quinn went for Peyton Hillis and a 6th rounder in 2011.

McNabb for a 2nd and a 3rd (or 4th)

Marshall (a pair of 2nd's)

Boldin (3rd and a 4th) still couldn't fetch sure first round value.

Big salary or not, without having to pony up a signing bonus no one offered us even a conditional 7th rounder to guarantee they'd get Faneca.

We tagged a lot of guys (Clemens, Leon, both Smiths, and I think Coleman) and no one tried prying any of them away until Seattle made that low offer for Leon. Teams just weren't really forking over draft picks this year for players who need new contracts.

Archived