David Wells requesting trade from Red Sox

faba

RED SOX NOTEBOOK

Wells requests a trade

He'd like to end on West Coast

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | October 21, 2005

CHICAGO -- With a guaranteed $2.5 million in his contract for 2006, Red Sox lefthander David Wells intends to return for his 20th season in the major leagues, according to an industry source. But Wells, who turns 43 May 20 and plans to have knee surgery this winter, has conveyed to the Red Sox a desire to finish his career on the West Coast -- he has a home near San Diego -- and the Sox have indicated they will try to honor his request.

Alerts Wells went 15-7 with an earned run average of 4.45 for the Sox this season, and by making 30 starts, he met all the performance clauses in his contract, enabling him to make a maximum of $9 million as stipulated in the deal. But Wells would prefer to be closer to home -- he pitched for the Padres in 2004 and could have re-signed last winter but negotiations broke down.

The Sox have three starters under contract for 2006 -- Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, and Matt Clement -- and Wade Miller and Bronson Arroyo are eligible for salary arbitration. Jonathan Papelbon, who pitched primarily in relief for the Sox after his call-up, is expected to compete for a spot in the rotation next season, and top lefthanded prospect Jon Lester, while a long shot after pitching in Double A, is a possibility from within the organization.

Marlins righthander A.J. Burnett is expected to be the top pitcher available on the free agent market this winter, followed closely by Kevin Millwood of the Indians and Matt Morris of the Cardinals. Seattle lefthander Jamie Moyer is another veteran pitcher eligible for free agency.

The Sox have eight players eligible for free agency: Johnny Damon, Tony Graffanino, Matt Mantei, Kevin Millar, Bill Mueller, Mike Myers, John Olerud, and Mike Timlin. Damon, of course, is expected to attract the most attention, but the Chicago Cubs, expected to be in the market for a center fielder, probably won't be involved in the bidding for Damon. The money and length of contract Damon, 31, is expected to seek may be too prohibitive for the Cubs.

Is there anyone else who thinks Wells should request RETIREMENT?

i'd love to take a cheapshot at Wells right now but he did go 15-7 and had some impressive outings, I'd say he still has a year left in him if he gets to go to a good team on the west coast

haha maybe they'll trade Manny and Wells to the Angels

Wells has stated that Boston is too sports crazed of a town for him. He said that where ever he went, he was recognized. He further stated that NYC was bigger and had more celebrity sightings, therefor he could be more anonymous and go to bars without being "known" or have it show up in the Boston papers gossip column (Inside Track) the next day.

Wells has stated that Boston is too sports crazed of a town for him. He said that where ever he went, he was recognized. He further stated that NYC was bigger and had more celebrity sightings, therefor he could be more anonymous and go to bars without being "known" or have it show up in the Boston papers gossip column (Inside Track) the next day.

I think he's 100% right. In Beantown, he's probably a big star. In NYC, he's one of many.

IMO, any third-rate, kinda-sucky, over-the-hill left hander can win roughly 15 games with the lineup the Sox have. As far as David Wells is concerned, I am not impressed.

For once I would like to see a team show some balls and NOT TRADE one of these whiny crybaby athletes who demand to be moved due to unhappiness. "Tough sh*t. You signed a contract. Sit out if you want to...but we aint catering to your punk @ss."

I would have been a Charger fan for life if they had drafted Eli Manning and made him hold Drew Brees' clipboard!

For once I would like to see a team show some balls and NOT TRADE one of these whiny crybaby athletes who demand to be moved due to unhappiness. "Tough sh*t. You signed a contract. Sit out if you want to...but we aint catering to your punk @ss."

Eagles --> TO

Wells should have thought about his residence when he signed a 2-year deal.The Padres would've had him back, but for a lot less than the Sawx. Nobody's giving up anything for a 40-plus pitcher.If he wasn't lefthanded he'd be a bum on a barstool. And since he spit the bit in the 2003 WS, nobody should have him. Who ever runs the Sawx will make JBF's dream come true-play here or retire.

I'm with JBF. Enough of these crybaby athlethes wanting out in the middle of a contract (a well paying one at that). Let the Management teams around professional sports hold these fatcats to their word, for once.

Wells, Manny, and many others. You aren't happy, give back the money and try somewhere else.

Perhaps Pavano is in the same group.

Archived