Zimmerman or Longoria?

SenorGato

Which of these two is the 2nd best 3B in the league?

Longoria is the best hitter on the Rays. Zimmerman might be the most unheralded star in the league. Both can be argued as the best defensive 3B in the league, but I'd go with Zimmerman there since he's been doing it an extra 3 years.

Both of these guys have HOF upside.

Which of these two is the 2nd best 3B in the league?

Longoria is the best hitter on the Rays. Zimmerman might be the most unheralded star in the league. Both can be argued as the best defensive 3B in the league, but I'd go with Zimmerman there since he's been doing it an extra 3 years.

Both of these guys have HOF upside.

Longoria, no question. He's an elite offensive talent while Zim is just very, very good.

Its close between them two, but I don't want to hear any more about how Zimmerman isn't the best 3rd Baseman in the NL. David Wright has to be the most overrated player in all of baseball, yet he gets more respect than Zimmerman, and Chipper Jones, who along with Wright is ahead of Zimmerman in the All-Star voting, isn't as good as he used to be.

As much as I like Zimmerman, Longoria is already the superior player, and only stands to widen the gap in the next few years.

I think David Wright tends to be overrated, since he has more fantasy value, due to his base-stealing. However, I wouldn't say that Zimmerman is clearly the best 3B in the NL right now, as Wright is still on par IMO - especially if he has figured out how to now strikeout in every other AB.

Longoria, no question. He's an elite offensive talent while Zim is just very, very good.

.318 .387 .570

.316 .414 .599

That's both of their 2010 lines...Guess which one is which player...

Last year the difference between them was 1 point in OPS (.889 vs. .888).

There's a few months difference in age, but Zimmerman has 3 more years of experience as he's in his 6th season.

This is why I asked the question actually...Longoria has the reputation and the team, but they're very similar players at very similar points in their careers as far as development goes.

Zimmerman was talented enough to go #2 overall ('05, after the uber-hyped Upton), play in the majors in that same season, win ROTY in his first full season ('06), and was one of the top 10 youngest players in the league twice. There's certainly elite talent there....he does it in pitchers park rather than a neutral park too.

Its close between them two, but I don't want to hear any more about how Zimmerman isn't the best 3rd Baseman in the NL. David Wright has to be the most overrated player in all of baseball, yet he gets more respect than Zimmerman, and Chipper Jones, who along with Wright is ahead of Zimmerman in the All-Star voting, isn't as good as he used to be.

You're right that Wright is overrated. Pretty much any player on the Mets that ever has success in any manner whatsoever becomes overrated. That being said in all fairness to Wright hitting in the Grand Canyon Citifield has hurt his career as a Met I know he's bounced back this season but he won't be as good as he was in 2008.

Longoria over Zimmerman btw.

Archived