Change the Anthem to Sweet Home Alabama

Bruce Banner

Change the anthem to Sweet Home Alabama?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Change the anthem to Sweet Home Alabama?

• yes
    • no
    • Maybe!

r8rnFKo4PAE

The current anthem kicks zero @ss. I think this country can do better. I say we switch the anthem to Sweet Home Alabama but change the word Alabama to America. Keep all the other words the same, including the part about how Neil Young sucks.

The current anthem kicks zero @ss. I think this country can do better. I say we switch the anthem to Sweet Home Alabama but change the word Alabama to America. Keep all the other words the same, including the part about how Neil Young sucks.

Its hard to just change "Alabama" to "America". Try singing it to the tune, it doesn't work.

If the South ever secedes again, "Free Bird" ought to be the anthem of the new Confederacy.

Neil Young >>>>>> Leonard Skinnard

This is a great verse for our National Anthem:

In Birmingham they love the governor

Now we all did what we could do

Now Watergate does not bother me

Does your conscience bother you?

Tell the truth

Balances out the "colored" president nicely.

Tell the truth

"Sweet Home Alabama" was a response to Young's "Alabama". And then Young responded to "SWA" with "Southern Man". This angry exchange spawned some good music. Yet Young and the members of Lynrd Skynrd had made peace and where planning to tour together until the plane crash.

Tell the truth

Does Watergate bother you or do you use it for political purposes against your rivals? When Clinton was president he canceled criminal background checks on citizenship applications in order to get a record number of people through the system in time to vote in the '96 election. Right after the election they put the criminal background checks back in. If the usual amount of applicants would have failed the background check then 10,000 convicted felons were given citizenship during the year the checks were cancelled.

Screwing with the system in this manner is much worse than anything Richard Nixon is accused of. And Hillary Clinton ordering the FBI files on the 900 top Republicans is worse than anything Nixon is accused of. Do you really cry yourself to sleep at night thinking about these things? Thats the point of the song, people are just faking the outrage for political purposes.

I'd be all in favor of changing the national anthem to a good song, "Sweet Home Alabama" is not a good song. Living in Jacksonville you grow to hate Lynryd Skynryd. I'm just thankful this town doesn't revere Limp Bizkit they way it reveres Skynyrd. :suic3:

Remember when there was a semi-serious push to make "Born to Run" the official state song of NJ?

I appreciate LS's contribution to music, but to a northern guy, that song is a redneck hick tune. It kinda makes you want to tie your pants with a rope and not a belt. It's too regional.

Same reason it shouldn't be grunge (too seattle)

rap (too urban)

gospel (church/state)

etc.

Its outdated march/classical format won't bring anyone to tears, but it's middle-ground enough to appeal to everyone. And as stated earlier, if you know the STORY behind it, it's actually pretty damned cool. Larz left out that Francis Scott key was an ambassador sent to pick up a prisoner on a BRITISH SHIP. He was stuck on the ship watching the fort getting pounded. Those british prison ships were like WWII concentration camps (only with rats/bubonic plague, and no cameras to prove it happened).

So even though the melody is outdated, I think the story is very appropriate.

THIS should be our nat'l anthem.

XaI5IRuS2aE&

Who is from Bensonhurst? Somebody has to remember the crazy guy with the broken guitar that never had more than 2 or 3 strings that used to sing this song all day on the Bay Parkway train station. If you went up to him and said "This is my train station!" he would chase you down 86th street.

Does Watergate bother you or do you use it for political purposes against your rivals? When Clinton was president he canceled criminal background checks on citizenship applications in order to get a record number of...

Blah, blah, blah.

Putting any national embarrassment into the National Anthem just to say it "doesn't bother me," sends what message -exactly- to the rest of the world?

You had a really bad idea here, buddy. Sorry.

Was this your second choice?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Blah, blah, blah.

Putting any national embarrassment into the National Anthem just to say it "doesn't bother me," sends what message -exactly- to the rest of the world?

You had a really bad idea here, buddy. Sorry.

Was this your second choice?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

When will you people ever get the role of what this country is all about. Half the world hates us and the other half has their hand out...whether it's for money or for fighting their wars.

When will you people ever get the role of what this country is all about. Half the world hates us and the other half has their hand out...whether it's for money or for fighting their wars.

Actually a very large portion of those who hate us also have their hand out. What's your point?

Actually a very large portion of those who hate us also have their hand out. What's your point?

My point was made. It's made everyday in the news...if you don't get, that's your problem...I don't want this getting into a political throw down.

When sung correctly without the ridiculous "look at me" run offs than today's celebrity artists tend to degrade it with, our National Anthem is the most beautiful and moving song I have ever heard. Period.

Right on the money. These people need to remember that it's not about them, it's about being priveledged enough to be asked to sing the national anthem in front of a bunch of people.

When sung correctly without the ridiculous "look at me" run offs than today's celebrity artists tend to degrade it with, our National Anthem is the most beautiful and moving song I have ever heard. Period.

Well said. I hate all the variations that singers put in just to show off their vocal range (or lack thereof).

Perfection:

9ETrr-XHBjE

Thanks, Boozer, I hadn't seen that before.

Truly amazing and beautiful -- the way it's supposed to be sung.

Well said. I hate all the variations that singers put in just to show off their vocal range (or lack thereof).

I think if you are going to have a famous singer appear, you more or less have to give them some artistic license.

Actually, it's not that easy to find a non-opera singer who doesn't go an octave low on "rockets' red glare" because they can't hit the high note.

I think if you are going to have a famous singer appear, you more or less have to give them some artistic license.

Actually, it's not that easy to find a non-opera singer who doesn't go an octave low on "rockets' red glare" because they can't hit the high note.

I realize that it's a hard song to sing and not everyone has the octaves. I don't mind them going low. But when a singer has to make the word "glare" be 5 syllables, that's just wrong.

Archived