Revis rejects offer, will be at minicamp

Bruce Banner

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5272841

Next week's mandatory minicamp? Check. Darrelle Revis said he's planning to attend even though he's not happy with his current contract. Beyond next week is a different story, as the New York Jets' star cornerback didn't rule out the possibility of a training-camp holdout.

Revis, commenting Thursday for the first time since his one-day boycott of voluntary practices last week, also spoke cryptically about his plans if he still doesn't have a new contract by the start of the regular season.

"You'll know. It's not going to be hidden," he told reporters after practice. "... If things are not the right way, I need to sit back and view my career and see where I need to go from here."

By then, his options would be to request a trade or sit out the season, which is highly unlikely.

The easygoing Revis insisted he's not angry by the seemingly slow pace of negotiations, but there was a noticeable edge in his tone. He remained adamant about wanting to become the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, overtaking Nnamdi Asomugha ($15.1 million per year) of the Oakland Raiders.

Revis revealed that he has received an improved offer from the Jets, but it was rejected because he's "still not comfortable" with the total package. According to a league source, the Jets' initial offer included no guaranteed money, prompting him to skip practice last week.

Revis is believed to be seeking in excess of $16 million per year, comparable to Asomugha's average for 2010 and 2011. Asked if he's hell-bent on becoming the highest-paid corner, Revis replied, "Why wouldn't I?"

The Jets, he said, promised him a new deal as soon as last season ended.

Interestingly, there's language in Revis' current contract that could hurt his leverage. If he stages a training-camp holdout, he would void $20 million in guarantees -- the combined total of his 2011 and 2012 salaries. He wouldn't forfeit the salary, just the guarantee -- a huge risk.

Revis said he'd have to decide whether "to let that money go and fight for something bigger or play it safe and go to camp." He's due to make $1 million this season, the fourth year of a six-year contract. Technically, the deal voids after the season, but the Jets will buy back the last two seasons for $5 million and $15 million, respectively.

Some believe the Jets are stalling because owner Woody Johnson has tightened the purse strings amid labor uncertainty in the NFL. That, too, has crossed Revis' mind.

"Not just us, but a lot of teams might be cheap this year because they don't know what's going to happen in the future with a lockout or not," he said.

Revis all but challenged the front office to re-sign the "Core Four" of veterans, which includes center Nick Mangold, linebacker David Harris and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Mangold, upset with this negotiations, said Thursday there's a "50-50 chance" he will skip the minicamp.

"The Jets need to pay their guys," Revis said. "There's a lot of us in line right now. ... It's up to them to choose who they want to pay and who they don't want to pay."

The front office has budgeted enough money to sign all four players to long-term contracts, according to league sources. But having a budget and executing the deals are two different things.

In the meantime, coach Rex Ryan continued to rave about Revis, claiming he could have a Joe Namath-type impact on the franchise. Yes, he really said that, providing more ammo for Revis' agents.

"He's going to be a Jet forever," Ryan said. "If he's here long enough, which I anticipate he will be, will he go down as the best football player in New York Jets history? He's going to go down as one of them. I know about Joe Namath and all that, but this guy has that kind of ability."

GM Mike Tannenbaum must cringe every time Ryan opens his mouth.

There was an un-Revis-like moment in Thursday's practice, when he was beaten deep by Jerricho Cotchery -- a rare occurrence. Coaches and players seemed almost stunned, and Revis was fuming -- testimony to his competitiveness.

"You could see the steam coming off his helmet," Ryan said.

If the negotiations continue to drag, the Jets will see a lot of steam from Revis.

I swear I heard somneone on nfl network say that this year anyone holding out after aug 10th will have a year added to their existing deal

can anyone confirm ?

cuz if this is tru, tanny has the hammer

I swear I heard somneone on nfl network say that this year anyone holding out after aug 10th will have a year added to their existing deal

can anyone confirm ?

Doesn't seem likely, but I don't know the truth to that statement.

Doesn't seem likely, but I don't know the truth to that statement.

We need to win a ring this year, because this team is not going to be able to maintain the level of "1st round" talent as it has.

I understand what Revis is saying about his money, and I hate to say this but Tom Brady took a hit in the pocket area to keep that franchise going. He's still a mega millionaire and will continue to make millions for the rest of his life. Revis needs to think less about the money and more about his potential worth if the Jets win a ring and he's the best CB in America.

I can argue about him having the ability to be the best CB in the history of the game but the bottomline is that he needs to have a ring, and this is his best opportunity right now.

I watched Revis' presser after I posted this. He was very insistent that the Jets came to him and said they wanted to redo his deal. Big mistake by the Jets. He seemed a lot angrier on video tape than he seemed in print. But part of that might have been the reporters asking weird questions about if he felt guilty asking for more money in a bad economy.

can anyone confirm ?

Of course not. They don't get credited for the year of service. Not the same thing. The only way that'd even have the effect of keeping the player under contract an extra year would be if a) the player is a RFA, B) there's a new CBA, and c) the new CBA inexplicably retains the uncapped year RFA rules going forward.

can anyone confirm ?

I thought YOU had the hammer ? (Thors) :biggrin:

This whole situation sucks...are there any interviews with Revis where he's asked about all the restrictions the Jets have this year like the 30% rule or the fact that the cap might be reduced?

I feel like Revis is an intellgent guy he deserves to get paid, but he has to realize that this year is a unique situation..

I watched Revis' presser after I posted this. He was very insistent that the Jets came to him and said they wanted to redo his deal. Big mistake by the Jets. He seemed a lot angrier on video tape than he seemed in print. But part of that might have been the reporters asking weird questions about if he felt guilty asking for more money in a bad economy.

Yeah I think that was him being annoyed by the reporter because those were completely irrelevent questions designed to prompt a quote that made him look like the bad guy and when he wouldn't take the bait the asshead kept asking the same question in different ways to try and trip him up.

I think he went out of his was to make it clear in his PC that he has no animosity toward the organization.

This whole situation sucks...are there any interviews with Revis where he's asked about all the restrictions the Jets have this year like the 30% rule or the fact that the cap might be reduced?

I feel like Revis is an intellgent guy he deserves to get paid, but he has to realize that this year is a unique situation..

That's pretty much irrelevent since the Jets approached him about doing a long-term deal and not the other way around.

I dont think its irrelvant at all....they want to renegotiate...they are in the process of doing so.....he knows his demands are high...he also knows this is a unique year...he has to expect this will take time....till we stop negotiating and both sides go silent he should just shut up about it.

can anyone confirm ?

That would be impossible. The only thing that would be possible is to say that someone who holds out past a certain date won't count as an accured year towards becoming an UFA vs RFA. But that too would not make much sense as what is defined as a credited year of service and how many you would need to be a UFA will be covered by the new, yet unwritten CBA.

someone pointed out (jason?) that the 30% rule doesn't really apply to Revis cause he made good money last year. Someone like Mangold or Harris it would be a problem.

they need to back up the Brinks truck, make Darrelle Revis the highest paid defender and be done with it

Ok, I still don't get it. if they have a year left on their contracts, why do we need to do this now?

And are they unhappy with their CURRENT contracts, or unhappy that they're not locked up long term to sweeter future contracts?

UNCAPPED YEAR.

The Jets hope to make the signing bonuses count against the uncapped year.

whats screwing this up is how bad the Raiders over paid. Whats the second highest paid DB getting?? I bet its not close. I would still pay Revis $16 mil a year

The Raiders over paying isn't the problem. The problem is you can't have a Union a draft and individual freedom to negiotate without the system falling apart. The NFL is walking a fine line by trying to have a competitive league by offering the players as a group a good portion of the total revenue but a capped portion. That capped portion is in direct conflict with individual players ability to negiotate unlimited salaries.

If Revis wants to be the highest paid CB in football chances are he will have to play for a bad team.

Dont give him a damn thing and trade his ass next offseason if Cro and Wilson are legit. Give Brick and Mangold the long term deals. We need people protecting Sanchez and creating holes for Greene.

CB's dont win SB's. Great Olines and great QB's do.

F Darrelle Revis

Dont give him a damn thing and trade his ass next offseason if Cro and Wilson are legit. Give Brick and Mangold the long term deals. We need people protecting Sanchez and creating holes for Greene.

CB's dont win SB's. Great Olines and great QB's do.

F Darrelle Revis

Well, great defenses do to...but, F DR anyway.

Well, great defenses do to...but, F DR anyway.

Like I said if Wilson and Cro are legit...trade him. You can always draft or sign more DB's. And no one DB is worth 16 mil per year.

F that. How many times have you heard a team win a SB and said team couldnt have done it without their CB?

DBrick + Mangold >>>> Revis.

Sorry, you win games at the LOS with a great upright QB.

F that. How many times have you heard a team win a SB and said team couldnt have done it without their CB?

There's never been a CB quite like Revis, and Rex seems to understand his importance better than any of us mere mortals. That's good enough for me. Bite the bullet and pay the man.

There's never been a CB quite like Revis, and Rex seems to understand his importance better than any of us mere mortals. That's good enough for me. Bite the bullet and pay the man.

I agree. Revis is so great at what he does he allows us to play defense in a fashion that otherwise would be considered reckless.

"Quarterbacks know not to challenge and throw over to Revis side, and if they do its a mistake"- Rex Ryan.

And my favorite... "Revis gave up a completion today"- Rex Ryan

You're right, there's never been a CB quite like Revis.

I know we are Jets fans, but come'on man. He's played 3 years and you are saying he's the goat at CB?

And as great as Revis is, he didnt stop Peyton Manning from torching us...he's one player...an awesome player, but he cant do it all and isnt bigger than the team.

If he wants 16mil a year, F him. Lets him make his mil pissed this season and trade him next year to get stronger on the DL, get a true OLB pass rusher, and Rex will make guys like Cro, Wilson and Lowery look like PB players...and I'm sure we'd find another solid CB.

I know we are Jets fans, but come'on man. He's played 3 years and you are saying he's the goat at CB?

And as great as Revis is, he didnt stop Peyton Manning from torching us...he's one player...an awesome player, but he cant do it all and isnt bigger than the team.

If he wants 16mil a year, F him. Lets him make his mil pissed this season and trade him next year to get stronger on the DL, get a true OLB pass rusher, and Rex will make guys like Cro, Wilson and Lowery look like PB players...and I'm sure we'd find another solid CB.

I think we're saying there's not a CB quite like Revis, and he seems to have the talent to go down as one of the greatest, or the greatest. Yeah, it may be a bit to soon. He could certainly go down to injury and end his career that way, but I dont see his performance last year being a "fluke". Not the way he did it....this kid is a flat out beast of a player.

Kinda like how people were claiming Michael Jordan the "best in the game and possibly" the best to ever do it after his 3rd year avg. 37 points 3 steals, and almost 2 blocks a game, but more importantly, his consistency in clutch moments. Thats sick bro. And you know what? Michael went down in history as just that. Some times you can just see it man. Has nothing to do with being a Jet fan, however, we're just more descriptive and outspoken about it.

As for Peyton, Even Micheal had to lose to the Pistons his first few seasons....feel me? And I doubt anyone see's him as bigger than the team. We just know that he does his job better than anyone else in the world right now.

I think we're saying there's not a CB quite like Revis, and he seems to have the talent to go down as one of the greatest, or the greatest. Yeah, it may be a bit to soon. He could certainly go down to injury and end his career that way, but I dont see his performance last year being a "fluke". Not the way he did it....this kid is a flat out beast of a player.

Kinda like how people were claiming Michael Jordan the "best in the game and possibly" the best to ever do it after his 3rd year avg. 37 points 3 steals, and almost 2 blocks a game. Thats sick bro. And you know what? Michael went down in history as just that. Some times you can just see it man. Has nothing to do with being a Jet fan, however, we're just more descriptive and outspoken about it.

Comparing Basketball to Football is never something I like to do. A single player can take over a game in hoops. There's only a couple of positions on a Football field that can truly take over a game. Sadly, that position is not at CB.

I understand the love for Revis. He's incredible. Especially coming from Jets fans because I honestly dont think in my lifetime I've ever been able to say we have the best player in the league at their respective position. IMO you have to get over that. You cant give a CB a crippling contract.

Maybe its just a matter of how you assess a Football team. I build inside out. Give me strong lines and a great Qb, and I'm confident in my team as a SB contender each season behind a defensive coach like Rex who knows how to manufacture pressure.

Just think if we landed players and Rex didnt need to manufacture pressure?

As for Peyton, Even Micheal had to lose to the Pistons his first few seasons....feel me? And I doubt anyone see's him as bigger than the team. We just know that he does his job better than anyone else in the world right now.

I do feel ya, but Revis doesnt have the ball in his hands. He covers one man...there are 5 other options for an offense. Its just not the same.

And its obvious nobody see's him bigger than the team or the deal would be done by now. Let someone else pay him to be the best in the world.

Archived