Revis rejects offer, will be at minicamp

Bruce Banner

Maybe its just a matter of how you assess a Football team. I build inside out. Give me strong lines and a great Qb, and I'm confident in my team as a SB contender each season behind a defensive coach like Rex who knows how to manufacture pressure.

Just think if we landed players and Rex didnt need to manufacture pressure?

The strength of our defense is the secondary, and its weakness is the pass rush. Jason Taylor was a start but how much longer will he be effective? Moving Gholston to end looks like a nice decision but can we trust he won't be a waste of space?

Therefore, you have to play to your strengths. If we lose Revis, we lose the ability to send exotic blitz packages and play lots of man-to-man coverage, something both Cromartie and Wilson were brought in for but are at the moment basically unknown products.

Can we be the # 1 defense without Revis? Sure. But WITH Revis, we can be one of the best defenses that's ever existed, if not the best. And that's a bonafide route to a championship.

Comparing Basketball to Football is never something I like to do. A single player can take over a game in hoops. There's only a couple of positions on a Football field that can truly take over a game. Sadly, that position is not at CB.

I understand the love for Revis. He's incredible. Especially coming from Jets fans because I honestly dont think in my lifetime I've ever been able to say we have the best player in the league at their respective position. IMO you have to get over that. You cant give a CB a crippling contract.

Maybe its just a matter of how you assess a Football team. I build inside out. Give me strong lines and a great Qb, and I'm confident in my team as a SB contender each season behind a defensive coach like Rex who knows how to manufacture pressure.

Just think if we landed players and Rex didnt need to manufacture pressure?

Im not comparing basketball and football, im comparing the point of view of how people looked at Michael at that time given what they saw to the love Revis is receiving...thats all.

I think your assessment on how to build a team is a good one, but when you come across "special talent" you recognize it. Revis is like having 12 men on the field because he free's up responsibility in coverage. It'll provide that extra rusher that you normally would NEVER be able to do because you'll get eaten up with the deep ball. Or you can double team another player and really make things difficult. This is because of Revis being such a blanket on a "primary" at that.

Talent like that isnt a dime a dozen. Its a Barry Sanders type talent. Once in a "couple" life times. Now, if you know me I normally dont get into the financial aspect of things with football. I like to keep it to football, but if I were to comment i'll say this. The Jets better do what they got to do to keep this guy for the next 5 years....period.

If that means losing Harris then Fine. You Keep D'brick and Mangold and sign another ILB. But you keep Revis for the next 5 years.

The strength of our defense is the secondary, and its weakness is the pass rush. Jason Taylor was a start but how much longer will he be effective? Moving Gholston to end looks like a nice decision but can we trust he won't be a waste of space?

Therefore, you have to play to your strengths. If we lose Revis, we lose the ability to send exotic blitz packages and play lots of man-to-man coverage, something both Cromartie and Wilson were brought in for but are at the moment basically unknown products.

Can we be the # 1 defense without Revis? Sure. But WITH Revis, we can be one of the best defenses that's ever existed, if not the best. And that's a bonafide route to a championship.

And though its a stretch, its not like its not possible. We have enough talent on offense now to compliment our defense.

I dont See Peyton Picking on Cromartie in man coverage with the talent that not only he has but with additions like a Jason Taylor. Trust me, people can doubt Taylor all they want, but year in and year out he's still one of the best in the league. And until he show otherwise im looking at our front 7 as an upgrade....and thats outside of the defense in general having a year under their belt in the Rex system.

I disagree...Our secondary success came from Rex manufacturing pressure and forcing Qb's to make mistakes. Revis was the luxury...now we have 2 potential studs (if one decides to play) in Cro and Wilson...you cant tell me the likes of Revis, Rhodes, Leonhard, Lowery, Sheppard, Coleman and any other jag outside of Revis was the strenght of our D. If we are talking on field, IMO our strength is our LB'ing core...overall its Rex.

My point is simple. Dont let 1 player cripple your team when you have many other important pieces to address. If he wants 16 mil, trade his ass fast, get picks/players or and save money to keep the others guys who are just as important safe (although I dont know if we can based on his contract?).

Put it this way, we can win without Revis. If Mangold or Brick goes down....we are ****ed. So its no different in contract negotiations...make sure you sign who is most valuable to your team.

Im not comparing basketball and football, im comparing the point of view of how people looked at Michael at that time given what they saw to the love Revis is receiving...thats all.

I think your assessment on how to build a team is a good one, but when you come across "special talent" you recognize it. Revis is like having 12 men on the field because he free's up responsibility in coverage. It'll provide that extra rusher that you normally would NEVER be able to do because you'll get eaten up with the deep ball. Or you can double team another player and really make things difficult. This is because of Revis being such a blanket on a primary.

Talent like that isnt a dime a dozen. Its a Barry Sanders type talent. Once in a "couple" life times. Now, if you know me I normally dont get into the financial aspect of things with football. I like to keep it to football, but if I were to comment i'll say this. The Jets better do what the got to do to keep this guy for the next 5 years....period.

I agree, but not at the expense of hurting your team in the long run.

I disagree...you cant tell me the likes of Revis, Rhodes, Leonhard, Lowery, Sheppard, Coleman and any other jag outside of Revis was the strenght of our D. If we are talking on field, IMO our strength is our LB'ing core...overall its Rex.

Our secondary success came from Rex manufacturing pressure and forcing Qb's to make mistakes. Revis was the luxury...now we have 2 potential studs (if one decides to play) in Cro and Wilson.

My point is simple. Dont let 1 player cripple your team when you have many other important pieces to address. If he wants 16 mil, trade his ass fast, get picks/players or and save money to keep the others guys who are just as important safe (although I dont know if we can based on his contract?).

Put it this way, we can win without Revis. If Mangold or Brick goes down....we are ****ed. So its no different in contract negotiations...make sure you sign who is most valuable to your team.

I agree, but not at the expense of hurting your team in the long run.

Our front 7 got major freedom and support from Revis and the secondayr last year, and they'll have even more help this year to run a muck on offenses. You said it yourself, its a team sport.

1 player will not cripple this team financially. The Jets are dealing without a salary cap, and I doubt the Cap will be put back after teams sign players based on no cap being there. Thats just my opinion though. But to get back on the subject,

Again, Revis adds a player to your defense and at the same time takes away a player from the offense. I'll pay 16 million dollars for that, especially when we can win a championship right now, multiple at that because this team is young. I'll trade one of the other 1st rounders we got or something, but Revis you keep at this age and talent level....you keep him.

Thats not hurting your team, thats finding a way to make it all work. Rex can do it.

someone pointed out (jason?) that the 30% rule doesn't really apply to Revis cause he made good money last year. Someone like Mangold or Harris it would be a problem.

they need to back up the Brinks truck, make Darrelle Revis the highest paid defender and be done with it

I'm a Jets fan and while I like Revis, as a Jets fan I recognize it's in the teams interest to pay him as little as possible. Personally I think they should squeeze as much out of him while he's under contract and than unload him and replace him with several talented players.

Revis deserves to get everypenny he can and the Jets need to make sure they don't pay him one dime more than they need to and if they can win a SB while he is under contract and replace him with great talent to keep the team near the top, that's exactly what the team should do.

Archived