PSL Price Reductions

jaspegs

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13510016/trying-to-sell-out-new-stadium-jets-reduce-some-psl-prices

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets are reducing the prices of about 18,000 personal seat licenses, including around 9,000 of which are unsold, by up to 50 percent beginning Friday in an effort to sell out the new Meadowlands Stadium by opening week.

Matt Higgins, the Jets' executive vice president for business operations, told the Associated Press that the cuts affect three sections of seats: lower end zone, lower sideline and mezzanine end zone.

"Our No. 1 goal all along was to sell out the stadium by opening day," Higgins said. "We believe the price cuts are aggressive."

The Jets open on Sept. 13 against the Baltimore Ravens.

Higgins said the team was sending an e-mail Friday to alert fans of the reduced prices in the $1.6 billion stadium. Lower end-zone seats will be dropped from $5,000 to $2,500, as will those in the mezzanine end zone. Seats in the lower-sideline section will be cut from $15,000 to $10,000.

"It dramatically changes the cost," Higgins said. "What we heard from a lot of fans was that they want to be in the building come opening day, but our lowest price point is just not affordable enough to get a lot of the fans back in who want to be in. So, when we looked at the options, we figured it makes sense to make these adjustments."

Fans who already purchased the 9,000 seats affected by the cuts will receive the reduced price.

"We think that's only fair," Higgins said.

Last month, owner Woody Johnson told the AP he was confident the team would sell out the new stadium and avoid home games being blacked out by the time it plays Baltimore.

"We said a few weeks ago that there would be no blackouts and the reason why is we're going to do what it takes to sell out," Higgins said. "We think it makes a lot more sense to make the adjustments you need to do prior to opening day than after opening day, when the cameras are rolling and there are certain sections that aren't sold out."

Higgins said this is not a panic move by the team after perhaps overestimating the market and fans' wallets. The team made similar cuts to seats in the sideline corners a few months ago, and Higgins said those seats sold out within a few weeks.

Higgins also insists the PSL situation has no effect on the Jets' ability to sign several players looking for long-term deals, including All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis and center Nick Mangold.

"PSLs can only be used to pay for the construction of the stadium, so it's two totally separate buckets of money," he said. "One honestly has nothing to do with the other. That's a fact. Also, it's hard to accuse Woody Johnson of not being willing to do whatever he needs to do and spend what he needs to spend in order to win. There's ample evidence of that."

I am very happy about this. They have admitted their mistake and the stadium will be better and louder for it. I respect when someone tries to make a buck. But there are times when it is just over the top. They set the prices too high and this move is a good one. They need to fill that stadium up.

Thank you to all the fans who held out to send a message. Your message was heard! Good job.

does anybody know if this offer also includes the free parking for the year?

this is very tempting...

if i buy.. i will be selling 1 tix for some games this year :D i cant miss parents weekend. lol

I am very happy about this. They have admitted their mistake and the stadium will be better and louder for it. I respect when someone tries to make a buck. But there are times when it is just over the top. They set the prices too high and this move is a good one. They need to fill that stadium up.

Thank you to all the fans who held out to send a message. Your message was heard! Good job.

Keep holding out. It's June 11th.

Prices will drop again.

"PSLs can only be used to pay for the construction of the stadium, so it's two totally separate buckets of money,"

You know, this is what creates the animus.

You're talking to middle class people about "buckets of money".

"PSLs can only be used to pay for the construction of the stadium, so it's two totally separate buckets of money," he said. "One honestly has nothing to do with the other. That's a fact. Also, it's hard to accuse Woody Johnson of not being willing to do whatever he needs to do and spend what he needs to spend in order to win. There's ample evidence of that."

That is actually half right. While the PSLs can only be used to fund construction any construction costs not covered by PSLs still needs to be paid and that money still comes out of the larger bucket of money which is WJ's cash flow.

Dont worry. The decrease in PSL price will be made up with increases in ticket prices. Woody needs to keep them money buckets filled!

I am going to buy. $2,500 that second mezz level. You can't stop me. :-P

does anybody know if this offer also includes the free parking for the year?

this is very tempting...

if i buy.. i will be selling 1 tix for some games this year :D i cant miss parents weekend. lol

Call them. "I will buy a PSL is I get free parking in 2010." I PROMISE the sale will be made.

Call them. "I will buy a PSL is I get free parking in 2010." I PROMISE the sale will be made.

they told me no free parking but then hung up on me. :lol: they said with new offer they arent offering free parking.. but yet they are reducing the psl of those in the same section..

so far they are not impressing me..

OY!

they told me no free parking but then hung up on me. :lol: they said with new offer they arent offering free parking.. but yet they are reducing the psl of those in the same section..

OY!

Free parking offer is still valid but only for 2007, 2008 and 2009 EX season ticket holder who has not bought any seat in the new stadium.

My Section by Section Analysis of remaing PSL seats to be sold was SPOT ON baby.

Mr. Johnson, whose your daddy now?

Free parking offer is still valid but only for 2007, 2008 and 2009 EX season ticket holder who has not bought any seat in the new stadium.

My Section by Section Analysis of remaing PSL seats to be sold was SPOT ON baby.

Mr. Johnson, whose your daddy now?

well i am an ex-season ticket holder from 2009 so i have to talk to a knowledgeable agent.

oy!

of course if this latest gal doesnt call me back before she leaves for the day.. at 1:30i will be pissed. SHe said she would call tomorrow.. but if i dont hear from her by then.. she has lost the sale.

funny.. they have called me every week for months.. yet the one time i want to talk to them.. they keep messing it up. :lol:

You're going to be sorry.

Buckets. You're filling buckets.

:)

Lil Bit - this could be worse in the long run - WITHOUT A PSL = NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS TICKET PRICES!

Now why go off on management?

Heck, even I moved into the UPPER bowl this year, just so I wouldm't pay for a PSL.

What happened? Did your ticket broker/Scalper give up their tickets this year?

Lil Bit - this could be worse in the long run - WITHOUT A PSL = NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS TICKET PRICES!

Now why go off on management?

Heck, even I moved into the UPPER bowl this year, just so I wouldm't pay for a PSL.

What happened? Did your ticket broker/Scalper give up their tickets this year?

Give it a few years and our prices will be worse than the Pats or any other team.

Me? I had season tickets for 17 years. It doesnt make sense for me to drive 4+ hours each way to sit in the upper deck for the same money as I spent in the past.

I am against PSL's. Its just a money grab and a way to lock people into buying tickets and their ability to raise prices whenever they feel like.

I am against a new stadium that wasnt needed or necessary. I am against an owner who just shoved fans aside because they didnt want to pay his ransom.

Woody killed my love for this team and the NFL. Killed it. I went to 10 games a year and now this year I dont want to go to any.

OY!

Very short sided of them. Tell them no free parking, no 10K for 4 seats of PSLs. Something tells me it's worth it to spend $200 to get 10K

My issue is that I want to get two tickets, and the PSL is enticing, but I don't have the money for the actual games atm. I was unemployed for awhile at the end of last year and into this year and FINALLY got caught up on my bills. My timing just sucks :(

My issue is that I want to get two tickets, and the PSL is enticing, but I don't have the money for the actual games atm. I was unemployed for awhile at the end of last year and into this year and FINALLY got caught up on my bills. My timing just sucks :(

Plenty of PSL's will be available in 2011 on the secondary market. No need to worry you werent there for year 1.

I did this morning...pretty much got my old seats back...still hate the idea of a PSL but at least they are starting to get more reasonable.

If you don't mind me asking, what section did you get? Why did you pick that section? Just curious...

If you don't mind me asking, what section did you get? Why did you pick that section? Just curious...

227B....had the choice between that section or 202B and 203B....went with 227B because it was 2-3 rows closer than the other 2 sections and in one of the other ones i had to split my seats up into 2 rows of 2.

I was in the last row of section 220 in the old place (which was nice having nothing but the suites behind you) and these are pretty comparable.

it could be worse

you could be a giants fan who paid for a PSL about 10 rows from the top of the upper section

oy

They paid $1,000. And I don't think they had a fake "let the market decide, ooopppss the market isn't looking good, let us decide" fiasco for their coaches club.

I had an interesting thought about the Jets PSL debacle the other night in regards to "Same Old Jets".......Only the NYJ could have orchestrated the madness that has become PSL sales. This team, in effect, can't do anything correct......SAME OLD JETS. They got "beat" by there fans, plain and simple. Its like we pulled a fake-spike move on them. They tried to play hardball with us, we said no thank you,........and we won....therefore the prices get slashed in half for PSL's.

The Giants never had a problem with PSL's....sold them all! It just makes me laugh how the Jets, a multi-million dollar franchise, basically got beat by us the lil guy. SAME OLD JETS in a way no!!?? With teams and teams of lawyers, accountants, and salespeople, they still couldnt get the job done!1 I truly believe that any book about the Jets and their tortured history needs to include a chapter about this PSL fiasco. How the Jets were completely embarrassed by their fan base into admitting the COMPLETELY miscalculated the market for their product......Kinda like they completely misread Dan Marino signaling for a spike play on that could afternoon in 1994.......SAME OLD JETS!

Archived