Javy's past 40 innings

Blackout

And at the end of the day, it all becomes a wash...sox aren't making the playoffs and it's not because of a schedule, they just aren't good enough.

So in mid-June you can say with great confidence that the Red Sox are not going to make the playoffs?

Can you tell me the mega millions numbers too? Who really killed JFK?

And at the end of the day, it all becomes a wash...sox aren't making the playoffs and it's not because of a schedule, they just aren't good enough.

While the former is quite possible, the latter is not true.

The Sox went into the season built for decent D and pitching with a question mark on the offensive side.

Their fielding has been steady since a rocky start.

Their pitching is what it is. Some positives (Bucholz and Lester) and some negatives (relative meh of Lackey and Beckett) and the Box of Chocolates (Dice, Paps and the pen).

Their offense is only behind the Yanks in runs scored and is in the top 10 in hitting. This is without Ellsbury and a sub-par season from Pedroia.

The Sox can quite possibly miss the playoffs. The AL East is that good. It is not because they are not good, it is because they are the third best.

While the former is quite possible, the latter is not true.

The Sox went into the season built for decent D and pitching with a question mark on the offensive side.

Their fielding has been steady since a rocky start.

Their pitching is what it is. Some positives (Bucholz and Lester) and some negatives (relative meh of Lackey and Beckett) and the Box of Chocolates (Dice, Paps and the pen).

Their offense is only behind the Yanks in runs scored and is in the top 10 in hitting. This is without Ellsbury and a sub-par season from Pedroia.

The Sox can quite possibly miss the playoffs. The AL East is that good. It is not because they are not good, it is because they are the third best.

Well bud, you stated exactly what I posted in my thread. I didn't say the Sox weren't any good...I said they weren't good enough.

Originally Posted by NIGHT STALKER

Well bud, you stated exactly what I posted in my thread. I didn't say the Sox weren't any good...I said they weren't good enough.

Originally Posted by NIGHT STALKER

they're 4 games back and have sucked all season. Weird time to write them off.

I've been following the Vazquez situation closely because he's on my fantasy team. I probably would not have drafted him this year given his move to New York (AL is tougher and he didn't do too well there last time), but I am in a keeper league and had him for an insane bargain so my hand was forced.

Anyway, the consensus was that his early troubles were due to mechanical issues. Apparently he lost 2 mph on his fastball and tons of control due to some problem he had keeping his somewhat eccentric windup consistent. I'm not sure if he has that entirely fixed yet as his fastball velocity is still down. Then again, he has a history of gaining velocity as the season goes on. He is walking less batters lately, but he is still giving up way too many home runs. Also, he is throwing his four seam fastball a lot less this year than usual, instead relying more on his change, curve, and two seamer. The bottom line is that Vazquez is an experienced and talented pitcher and the Yankees gave up practically nothing to get him.

As for the Red Sox, things are going pretty strangely for them right now. The pitching and defense has been much worse than expected while the offense that was expected to be anemic is currently just behind the Yankees for second in the MLB in runs even without Ellsbury. The Sox are definitely good enough to make the playoffs. They are only 4 games back despite getting off to a very slow start. Ruling them out at this point is ridiculous.

I don't know why it's so hard to say that Javy is having a nice little run.

I also don't know why it's so hard to say that both Cano and Pedroia are excellent 2nd basemen.

The blind hatred for their rival.

Makes them look petty and small. But hey, they would rather win a message board battle.

Archived