Andy Pettite

Jet/BosoxFan

Ya, I know...it wasnt a mistake to let this guy go to Houston over a few dollars, right Maxman?

Hey, please tell me which ex-Yankee is starting Game 2 of the World Series while Johnson, Mussina, Pavano, Wright, Brown Jeter, A-rod and Sheffield* are playing golf? Ya know...after the other 2 ex-Yankees duke it out in game 1!!!

Thats right, its Andy Pettite, the deserving NL Cy Young lefty who carried Houston to the playoffs in the 2nd half of the season.

Why cant you guys get players like that?

The Yankees made a comparable offer to Pettitte. They had legitimate concerns about his elbow, which in fact cost him a good chunk of 2004. But again they made an offer that was similar to the Astros. And he said all along that he wanted to be close to home. He had 10 years and 4 championships here and has all the money he'll ever need. Is it that incomprehensible that with his small children getting bigger every day he didn't want to miss that? And again-if they just wrote him a huge check, the Yankees are ruining baseball. So to all the YHers, they cannot win either way. Suffice to say he would have been better than amy starter they've ahd the last 2 seasons, but also that he wanted to go home.

George didnt go all out to resign Pettitte, it was well known that George always viewed Andy as Torre's Pet which is why he tried to get rid of him for Chuck Finley many times in the late 90's. Torre's pleads to keep Andy were the only reason why he wasnt whacked a long time ago.

But at the sametime dont kid yourself for one minute if you dont think Pettitte was looking for an out to go back home and be with his family. The Yankees dragging their feet during the negotiations was a perfect excuse for Andy to flee. Andy never liked George. He remembers the urge george had to trade him years back and when Steinbrenner got upset

at Pettitte's little boys for wearing Mets caps during a subway series a few years back. That really pissed off Andy.

This isn't all on the Yankees.

Bugg, you normally do a decent job of keeping your Yankee fandom out of your posts, but this is complete revisionist history on your part. The Yankees cannot win when talking about Pettite because they screwed up multiple times.

Now, here is the timeline:

-Andy was a F/A after the 2003 season, where they tanked against the Marlins.

-Joe Torre said priority #1 was to resign Pettite.

-george thought differently, whether it was to tick off Joe or because Pettite was a Buck guy who came up when george was banned from MLB, or because george never liked Andy...he was talked out of trading him like 3 or 4 times.

-george spent November and December of '03 publicly courting Gary Sheffield* at Malio's with Doc Gooden in tow.

-Pettite felt slighted by the lack of attention, but knew deep down the Yankees can afford him...but he began to think, they dont want me back. Mind you, he had just won like 24 games that year and was a LEFTY in his freakin' PRIME! So forget Bugg talking about legitimate concerns about his elbow!!!!!!!!

PLEASE, SAVE IT. HE TOOK THE BALL EVERY 5TH DAY FOR NYY SINCE HE WAS BROUGHT UP!!!

-then, he threatens to sign with Houston

-george doesnt balk. In fact, he pays no mind.

-then, he signs with Houston.

-Yankee fans hold out hope that george will swoop in at the last minutes like they did with Bernie.

-they dont.

-The Red Sox do swoop into the drama, and offer Pettite way too much money ($54 mil over 4 years)

-Petite doesnt repsond to Theo's call...

-The Yankee last minute offer is slightly less than the Bosox' (like 3 years, $40 mil) but WAY more than that of Houston (3 years, $30 mil)

SO BUGG ERRED AGAIN BY SAYING THE YANKEE OFFER WAS COMPARABLE, IT WAS ACTUALLY MORE.

-Andy takes LESS than market value to sign near his hometown...and signs with Houston.

-The Yankees take Pettite's money and give it to Gary Sheffield*

-They havent won a W/S since and Sheffield* has been instrumental in their losing streak for the past 2 seasons.

-In fact, they havent been back to the W/S since losing Pettite, for no good reason at all. Andy will be pitching in game 2 of the W/S in 2005.

Face it, the Yanks deserve to take it on the chin for this one. I refuse to let you b@stards spin this one!!! My theory is that it is the primary reason for the decline of the Yankees!

Fair point-why Steinbrenner spent time and energy romancing a jerk like Sheff while taking Pettitte for granted is mystifying. I don't know if it would have made any difference given Pettitte's staetments about family and home. And it's fair to note that the Yankees sucked really bad in the 1980s exactly because of Steinbrenner's failure to keep(Drabek, Leiter, others) or acquire good starters, while he was busy assembling great hitting/zero pitching teams.

Ya, I know...it wasnt a mistake to let this guy go to Houston over a few dollars, right Maxman?

Cmon. Go back to read the old board when he left. I wanted him here. I said that at the time. I defended the Yankees last year because Andy missed most of the year.

But I am on record as saying that I would have resigned him. I wanted Cashman's head for not getting it done. Even though it was George's call.

Go to the old board and use the search feature. It will cost you a few bucks but certainly it will be worth it to prove me wrong.

Cmon. Go back to read the old board when he left. I wanted him here. I said that at the time. I defended the Yankees last year because Andy missed most of the year.

But I am on record as saying that I would have resigned him. I wanted Cashman's head for not getting it done. Even though it was George's call.

Go to the old board and use the search feature. It will cost you a few bucks but certainly it will be worth it to prove me wrong.

LOL and correct. Most if not all of the Pettite discussions took place long before the 2nd half of this season when Andy finally was able to contribute in Houston.

What a trio though right now in Roger, Oswalt and Pettite.

I also wanted Petitte. I was in favor of overpaying for him, as he was still young enough to actually be worth the money. But I think the money factor was really a 2nd place to the tug at Andy's heart to play at home.

Perhaps if teh Yankees had shown some love earlier in the process, or even tried to sign him during 2003, they would have been successful.

Didn't happen. Bad move.

Hmmm...Pettite gets the ball with his team down 0-1...where have we seen that before?

Now, as it pertains to the desire to play at home, you all know as well as I do that all george had to do was pay a little attention to Andy and he could have had him at a fair price and Andy woulda retired as a Yankee. And if that happened, the Curse woulda been in its 87th year and counting.

Then, when Houston came calling...fat george coulda overpaid for him (Really, what did it matter to george) and blown him away with cold hard cash and opted not to. Remember, Randy Hendricks went back to the Yankees after Houston made their offer. If he wanted to go home so badly, why did RH go back to NYY?

When you consider how much george wastes on middle relievers like Stanton, Heredia, Quantrill, Hammonds, G White, Karsay...who would never see a big game EVER...why not offer Pettite the world?

LEFTY...in his PRIME...he won 24 games!!!!!!!!

Game/set/match, mbn. Max & Bugg already conceded to me, time for you to give up too before it gets uglier. I wont let you Yankee fans spin this one!

Mediocre Year !?! :shock:

The guy won over 20 games in 2003 plus in each playoff series that year. (Twins, Red Sox, Marlins) who was the guy who got the ball when the Yankees lost the opener in all three series ?

Andy Pettitte.

The Yanks spent a couple of million to have Jon Lieber rehab in Tampa that year. Do you think the Yanks could have at LEAST given the time of day to the guy who has aruguably been their best pitcher during their run ?

Don't even get me started on this one. This was really the beginning of the end for the Yanks.

They brought in Kevin Brown to offset the loss of Pettitte a week later and we all know how that has turned out.

This was a cluster F from the getgo. The Yankees paid the price and they are still paying the price today.

Andy Pettitte barely said BOO his entire time with the Yankees so unless George though maybe he wasn't controversial enough then I can't see a personality clash.

What it comes down to is that while George was out wining and dining the Gary Sheffields and Kenny Loftons of the world he was letting his best pitcher get away without barely saying anything.

To this day the fact that the Yankees let Pettitte walk boggles my mind. I can see Clemens retiring and letting Wells walk, Weaver was not able to handle New York and went to the Dodgers in the Brown deal but Pettitte ?

:shock::shock::shock:

the rumors I have seen in the papers and heard on sports shows is that George really did not want Petite- do not know how true but what George wants he usually gets

That I totally believe.

For whatever reason he had a bug up his rear end when it came to Pettitte. He came real close to sending him to Philly one year.

Some things I just don't understand.

Archived