Mark Sanchez on Reggie Bush: "Sometimes . . . kids want to take"

NIGHT STALKER

Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2010 11:36 PM ET

In a Tuesday appearance on The Jim Rome Show, former USC (and current New York Jets) quarterback Mark Sanchez spoke about the sanctions recently imposed on the Trojans arising from the acceptance of money and other things of value by former tailback Reggie Bush.

Jim Rome asked Sanchez whether he's personally disappointed by the choices Bush made and the position he put the program in. And here's what Sanchez said.

"You know it's tough. And nobody wants to say anything bad about a teammate or anything. And I think Reggie's a heck of a player and I know he's a good guy. It was a tough position for him. . . .

"It's really tough," Sanchez added after making sure he pointed out that Sanchez was only a freshman at the time. "You're young kids. You're really a kid. Sometimes when things are laid out in front of you like that, kids want to take. And it's really hard for them to say no. And you've just got to be smart and put the program first."

It's a far cry from a stinging indictment of Bush, but at a time when pretty much everyone who has ever worn the school's colors has clamped hands on their eyes, ears, and/or mouths, it's refreshing for Sanchez to acknowledge what anyone not connected to the program already has realized.

Reggie wanted to take. And he took. And now the Trojans will be paying the price.

And hopefully the Heisman Trophy Trust will take Reggie's 2005 version of the award. And hopefully when Vince Young opens the box he won't think it's half a set of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

Another situation where "no comment" is the right answer. Bush was not a "kid". He was an 18-year old adult and he knew the rules.

Perhaps you know some inspiring 18 year old's but from what I can tell they all just want to get laid and make money.

Legally is an adult but mentally he was not even close.

Note: Old age doesn't really change those priorities does it?

Another situation where "no comment" is the right answer. Bush was not a "kid". He was an 18-year old adult and he knew the rules.

Thats a tough situation to be in 80. Not every student has it financially sound like that. I know I didnt. This is much much bigger than "Hey, i'll hit you with $1,000....just keep it up kid". This is "Let me help get your mother out of the projects type situation". You have to think that sometimes the very people who make these offers are also the very people affiliated with the program that you're supposed to put ahead of EVERYTHING. Its tough bro, if I was approached and the situation was to get my "entire family" into a better living condition I tell you what, my family is more important than any football program's code of ethics that you want to put in front of me....especially when the school is the one "leading by example".

These football programs can talk about their code of ethics, yet most of these athletes graduate that same university with the same level of education that the entered with. Where's the ethics in that?

My question to you is, isnt playing football professionally and getting an education for a career ultimately the same thing? Its to provide for your family. These guys are offering riches to people who've never seen that amount of money like that in their lives, let alone from people that would never be interested in kids like Bush outside of their talent in the first place. Bush has been physically taken advantage of as well. Thats part of the game. USC should pay of course, because they know better more than any 18 year old freshman ever could.

Archived