Vernon Gholston. 6 sacks.

villain_the_foe

How clever a guy you are. You mustve one most witty at your school or somethin. You did go to school right?

Trying to imply that someone is stupid with that school comment while misspelling the word WON (one) in the same post is an ultimate FAIL!!!!

Just sayin

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Woo hooo. And what do we get for regular season wins? A Ken Obrien poster and a Tony Eason jersey. Congrats. Once Night Stalker finds out where you live, Ill have him mail you your prize.

Exactly, so all you retarded lolphins fans bringing up sweeping the Jets in the regular season, while the lolphins missed the playoffs makes me laugh. I am putting this in my signature for future reference for the next time you bring up anything related to the regular season.

I'll remember this come september for a little wager. If he's our starter Gholston will pull off 6 sacks in 16 games no doubt.

My only caveat is that I don't have to run the 10 miles in the snow of a Michigan winter. If the bastard does it, he'd better get his 6th sack by late October.:lol:

...post the rest of your complaints in the GMJohnson thread. yeah thats right, my own thread.

That's fine, but you have to understand that there are too many threads right now to remember which one that is. Is it the one about how Mark Sanchez is gay for going to musicals? Or the one about how the Jets are gay for making wine? Or the one on how Lance Bass is gay? Or about how about the one where Brick and Sanchez are gay for going to the White House together? Or is it the one where Santonio Holmes put up pictures of his dick?

That's fine, but you have to understand that there are too many threads right now to remember which won that is. Is it the won about how Mark Sanchez is gay for going to musicals? Or the won about how the Jets are gay for making wine? Or the won on how Lance Bass is gay? Or about how about the won where Brick and Sanchez are gay for going to the White House together? Or is it the won where Santonio Holmes put up pictures of his dick?
He'll never understand that, so I fixed it for you. :rl:

Okay lets say Gholston has a great training camp as well. Does he start the season opposite Ellis?

this is a likely outcome... he's super strong at the point of attack... and can occupy (beat) double teams. Look at his DE competition it's not impossible he beats out Devito, Pitoitua, Kroul and maybe Wright for that job. They were jockying to give this starting spot to Gholston when they didn't resign Marques Douglas.

Okay lets say Gholston has a great training camp as well. Does he start the season opposite Ellis?

NO. Not unless youre playing a 4-3 defense. A 3-4 END needs to be closer in size to a DT than an OLB. Asking a 260 lb man to hold the point of attack against 315-330 lb OTs is tantamount to suicide. I can hope your coaches are that foolish. But I know better.

NO. Not unless youre playing a 4-3 defense. A 3-4 END needs to be closer in size to a DT than an OLB. Asking a 260 lb man to hold the point of attack against 315-330 lb OTs is tantamount to suicide. I can hope your coaches are that foolish. But I know better.

I don't think anyone is seriously questioning the defensive accumen of our coaching staff.

I don't think anyone is seriously questioning the defensive accumen of our coaching staff.

Im not questioning them either. What Im saying is that Gholston is too small to play the 5 technique. He can play outside in a 4-3, but you dont want him lined up trying to control/arm wrestle OTs, thats not his game.

Im not questioning them either. What Im saying is that Gholston is too small to play the 5 technique. He can play outside in a 4-3, but you dont want him lined up trying to control/arm wrestle OTs, thats not his game.

Your statement isnt true. So far it seems like he's producing in the 3-4 DE position. This is coming from the coaches mouth that you claim not to question.

lol. good point.

The coaching staff is solid, but any decent staff would do well with the amount of talent you guys have over there. Same goes for the Steelers, and the Ravens. Brian Billick was on affensive genuis when he had Moss, Carter, Reed, and Smith. Then he got to Baltimore and couldnt score any points. Coaching is important, but its the players who make it happen.

Your statement isnt true. So far it seems like he's producing in the 3-4 DE position. This is coming from the coaches mouth that you claim not to question.

You realize these are padless, non contact drills right? Theres no 330 LB man attacking him, trying to drive him 10 yds downfield play after play after play. Also, Rex is a pretty candid guy, but its not prudent for a coach to broadcast that a player isnt doing well, especially to the media. You could offend/embarass the player, hurt his confidence, or more importantly, broadcast your weakness to opposing teams. Its not a good idea on several levels. I keep hearing how Chris Clemons is doing well at FS for us, but I wont believe a word of it until I see him in in pads, in a game, making plays against an opposing team. But thats just me. If a padless mini-camp practice performance is enough for you then cool, we just disagree.

We'll see. If he can rush the passer from that position, then I have a feeling D-Rex will find a way to make it work.

Having said that, this is limited-contact OTA's and mini-camps. We already knew he was athletic and strong...So it really doesn't surprise me that in limited contact drills, he is able to push some people out of his way or run around people.

It still remains to be seen if he is capable of getting free when everyone puts the pads on and attempts to push him the other way. One of his biggest weaknesses last year was that he didn't seem to possess any real escape moves...Or moves to shed his block.

OTAs and Mini Camp have still been a good shot in the arm for him, but he has a lot of work to do in TC before I start getting hyped up about any of this.

The coaching staff is solid, but any decent staff would do well with the amount of talent you guys have over there. Same goes for the Steelers, and the Ravens. Brian Billick was on affensive genuis when he had Moss, Carter, Reed, and Smith. Then he got to Baltimore and couldnt score any points. Coaching is important, but its the players who make it happen.

"A coach is only as good as his players" -- Thats a long-standing acronym in the coaching world that has passed the test of time with flying colors. BB didn't win a thing in Cleveland, and had a losing record in NE until Mo Lewis giftwrapped Tom Brady for him.

You can make the argument for any coach in the history of any sport that he wouldn't have been good if it weren't for his players. Phil Jackson, Mike Kryzeewsky(however you spell it), Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Bob Knight....

Obviously you cannot be a contender if you don't have the talent to do so. However, once you do have the talent to do so...Thats when coaching makes all the difference in the world. The good coaches will take a contender and win... The poor coaches will take a contender and will mostly underachieve.

What gives me so much confidence about this season is that our coaching staff is why we overacheived as a team last year... Now that we have a more talented team this year, I have faith in our coaching to help us overachieve again... This time in a SB victory.

Oh bull****.

• The guy was 264 coming out at 6% body fat. He's strong for his size and will be putting on weight. If he gets up to 270-275 he's not out of the realm of reasonable for DE.
  • Rex is not as hung up on have fat body DEs like your team's tubby mentor. He is more about penetration and less obsessed with having 3 fat bastards. It's not quite the same system. By Gholston's account he's already played some DE and DT for Rex.
  • Who gives a flying **** if it is suicide? The guy wasn't doing dick as an OLB.
  • You can argue that he won't have a great training camp, but if he does he's probably starting.

"A coach is only as good as his players" -- Thats a long-standing acronym in the coaching world that has passed the test of time with flying colors. BB didn't win a thing in Cleveland, and had a losing record in NE until Mo Lewis giftwrapped Tom Brady for him.

You can make the argument for any coach in the history of any sport that he wouldn't have been good if it weren't for his players. Phil Jackson, Mike Kryzeewsky(however you spell it), Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Bob Knight....

Obviously you cannot be a contender if you don't have the talent to do so. However, once you do have the talent to do so...Thats when coaching makes all the difference in the world. The good coaches will take a contender and win... The poor coaches will take a contender and will mostly underachieve.

What gives me so much confidence about this season is that our coaching staff is why we overacheived as a team last year... Now that we have a more talented team this year, I have faith in our coaching to help us overachieve again... This time in a SB victory.

Yeah I agree. The good coaches are the ones who squeeze every out unce of potential out of thier team, however much that is. That might mean 4-12 if youre the Bucs/Lions. Or 12-4 if youre the Jets/Patriots etc.

I liked the way the Jets coaching staff simplified thier offensive game plans late in the year, and allowed thier running game and defense to take over. Those are the strengths of the team, and they can be ridden a long way. Im interested to see whether Sanchez will be unleashed this year, and if so, how much. There are alot of weapons to throw to, but the temptation to stick w/ what works will be strong, especially in the eyes of the defensive coaches.

Oh bull****.

• The guy was 264 coming out at 6% body fat. He's strong for his size and will be putting on weight. If he gets up to 270-275 he's not out of the realm of reasonable for DE.
  • Rex is not as hung up on have fat body DEs like your team's tubby mentor. He is more about penetration and less obsessed with having 3 fat bastards. It's not quite the same system. By Gholston's account he's already played some DE and DT for Rex.
  • Who gives a flying **** if it is suicide? The guy wasn't doing dick as an OLB.
  • You can argue that he won't have a great training camp, but if he does he's probably starting.

Its not that simple. He cant just gain 15 lbs and start playing the 5 technique anymore than he can lose 20 lbs and play safety. There is technique involved, years of coaching, playing experience, etc that have to be learned. Thats the main reason he struggled at OLB, he couldnt pick up the nuances/techniques, it wasnt his lack of size or athleticism, he has those in spades. I think Devito or Pitututu (sp?) are your candidates at end, with Gholston as your 3rd down pass rusher. We'll see what happens.

If you think size is directly proportional to ability, obviously you know NOTHING about football.

Its not that simple. He cant just gain 15 lbs and start playing the 5 technique anymore than he can lose 20 lbs and play safety. There is technique involved, years of coaching, playing experience, etc that have to be learned. Thats the main reason he struggled at OLB, he couldnt pick up the nuances/techniques, it wasnt his lack of size or athleticism, he has those in spades. I think Devito or Pitututu (sp?) are your candidates at end, with Gholston as your 3rd down pass rusher. We'll see what happens.

Is this a joke? He is supposedly a bust because he couldn't pick up a complex position that involves dropping into coverage, rushing the passer, setting the edge, etc, but he can't pick up a position which is similar to what he played and excelled at in college in a full offseason? Nuances and techniques? It's what he's been ****ing doing for years.

I disagree with your analysis almost completely. He is big, strong and fast, but he is not athletic. He lacks change of direction and looseness to change direction and cover or to read and react between a run and pass play. As DE he'll just be coming. He might not be able to do it well, but it's way simpler than OLB. It's football, not brain surgery.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can elaborate on this, but from what I understand the strongside end in Rex's defense is much closer to a traditional 4-3 strongside end than it is to a traditional 3-4 end.

Is this a joke? He is supposedly a bust because he couldn't pick up a complex position that involves dropping into coverage, rushing the passer, setting the edge, etc, but he can't pick up a position which is similar to what he played and excelled at in college in a full offseason? Nuances and techniques? It's what he's been ****ing doing for years.

I disagree with your analysis almost completely. He is big, strong and fast, but he is not athletic. He lacks change of direction and looseness to change direction and cover or to read and react between a run and pass play. As DE he'll just be coming. He might not be able to do it well, but it's way simpler than OLB. It's football, not brain surgery.

Thats what I dont think youre understanding. What he did in college is not similar to a 3-4 end at all. In a 3-4 you cant just fly up the field a la Freeney or Jared Allen. Watch Douglas and Ellis, theyre lined up over the tackles, taking them on, holding the point and controling thier gap(s). They arent flying upfield looking for the QB until they read/play run first. Thats not Gholston's game. He's a Freeney, 4-3, fly up field guy, and if Freeney had to play the 5 tech, he'd stink too.

Archived