D'Brick the first to get paid...?

freestater

Florio no longer reads my posts -- that's how I'm still employed -- but I still like to read PFT, my daily routine for years before joining the team.

While checking out our latest story on Darrelle Revis, I clicked Bob Glauber's Newsday article, and saw a rather interesting item buried beneath all the $100 million man talk.

"The team is further along in negotiations with [D'Brickashaw] Ferguson on a long-term deal than is widely known," Glauber writes. "An agreement could be reached before the start of training camp, barring unexpected complications, according to people familiar with Ferguson's situation."

Well, that certainly wasn't widely known before. Nick Mangold has honked about his contract more than Ferguson this offseason, but it makes sense the Pro Bowl left tackle comes before the Pro Bowl center.

You could even argue that the left tackle drafted in 2006 deserves his deal before the cornerback drafted in 2007.

it's PFT... I know, I know... but info is info in early/mid June...

Simply put, Ferguson is "playing ball." In other words, he's negotiating, and not simply saying "I want 16.2M + 0.01"

That's my take. If true, I figure he's closest because his demands are the most reasonable.

HE's my favorite Jet, so the fact that he's going to be locked up long term is good news to me.

I'm meh about re-signing mangold. We won't need to if Sanchez pans out as a QB. :D

:confused0082:

Exactly the opposite is true, you want to protect the franchise.

Mangold is a unique talent. His new deal will most likely be for less than D'Brick's as LT is generally considered a more valuable position than center anyway. Being the highest paid center in the league probably makes you even with about the 15-20th highest paid left tackle.

That's my take. If true, I figure he's closest because his demands are the most reasonable.

it could also be that Tanny is sending a message that b*tching and moaning to the media is not the favored route in this org.

Well....he is the LT and we did just draft a QB...plus he WAS the first one of those guys drafted...it seems to fit. He should be the first one resigned...D'Brick at LT is kind of a major key to the whole next 6-7 years.

Edited by SenorGato

Brick is a legit top 3, top 5 at worst LT in the league. We haven't even heard a peep out of him all offseason either. I am glad he is getting taken care of.

I bet if there wasn't this uncertainty with the economy and the labor agreements, Mangold would probably have been taken care of too, especially if he had shut up.

But Revis? Maybe Rex will think twice now before hyping up his players. There is no way a CB should be making Namdi money, he is a major reason for why the Raiders will never be a serious threat in the NFL. Even if they draft well and get a good team going, they won't be able to sign enough players because they pay their CB too much.

This could also be a message Tanny is sending. "Want to be a thorn in our sides, Revis & Mangold? Fine. We'll table your deals for the moment and work on D'Brick, who's been patiently waiting in line".

It's almost like they're dealing with children right now.

Retarded children, at that. Man, I am so sick of drama. I hope 'Brick gets his deal, because he has handled his business like a man. Then let Revis play out his multi-year deal and franchise Mangold next year. Hopefully, the fact that few deals will get done throughout the league will push the PA to a new CBA sooner rather than later.

And that answers your question, Slats.

I remember a big issue for you was whether Brick wanted top 5 or better money when he was at the periphery of being a top 5 LT. It seems like his demands are more workable than Revis.

I'd be stoked if Brick's deal is done. Plus, Brick's deal would undermine the argument setforth by Revis, fans & the media that the Jets don't pay their young talent.

Good news if true, hopefully Mangold is next. Anyone know what he's (Mangold) asking for?

He's cited Jason Brown's contract as the benchmark - 5yrs, $37.5 million, $20 million guaranteed. Mangold should get at least this - and probably 5-7 million more guaranteed - the kid is the key to the OLine.

This was the story when Brown signed:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80efe0a4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

D'Brickashaw Ferguson's agent says he's not close to a deal with the Jets

NYPost_Hubbuch

Long got 5 years/$57.75M with $30M guaranteed from #Dolphins, while Thomas got 6 years/$43M with $23M guaranteed from #Browns. about 15 hours ago

via web <LI id=status_16418071583 class="hentry u-NYPost_Hubbuch status">Ferguson is seeking a long-term extension with money roughly equal to that of fellow LTs Jake Long and Joe Thomas. #Jets about 15 hours ago

via web <LI id=status_16418002543 class="hentry u-NYPost_Hubbuch status">" ... and don't even know if you're in the same ballpark. We haven't heard anything from the #Jets." about 15 hours ago

via web <LI id=status_16417955176 class="hentry u-NYPost_Hubbuch status">Ferguson's agent also scoffed at pre-training camp timeline for a deal. "Hard to say that when you've never exchanged proposals ... " about 15 hours ago

via web <LI id=status_16417873012 class="hentry u-NYPost_Hubbuch status">D'Brickashaw Ferguson's agent says report that Ferguson is close to a deal with the #Jets is "completely untrue." about 15 hours ago via web

Edited by Jetfan13

^ Haha! So much for quietly doing business. Wide margins between Long and Thomas' contracts, too. Long's averaging over $11.5M (no f^cking way, Brick), and Thomas is at $7.1M/year.

Ferguson would be third on my list to extend behind Revis and Mangold.

^ Haha! So much for quietly doing business. Wide margins between Long and Thomas' contracts, too. Long's averaging over $11.5M (no f^cking way, Brick), and Thomas is at $7.1M/year.

Ferguson would be third on my list to extend behind Revis and Mangold.

Here is analysis of the LT market I did a few weeks ago on my site.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Fergusoncontract.html

I think it gives a decent indication of where Brick ranks and what he will likely get.

Here is analysis of the LT market I did a few weeks ago on my site.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Fergusoncontract.html

I think it gives a decent indication of where Brick ranks and what he will likely get.

brick doesn't strike me as a guy who will quibble over the details... if he thinks he's worth 11 and the Jets offer 10 i don't think it will be a deal breaker... but i don't know how any1 realistically says Peters or Gross are better than Dbrick. They might have better resumes (and maybe that's all that matters in contract negotiations) but Brick is a far better player than both of those guys.

All this being said it apparently was just a smoke screen, the Jets must be getting really desperate... they can't afford to sign the core but they can afford to spread PR.

brick doesn't strike me as a guy who will quibble over the details... if he thinks he's worth 11 and the Jets offer 10 i don't think it will be a deal breaker... but i don't know how any1 realistically says Peters or Gross are better than Dbrick. They might have better resumes (and maybe that's all that matters in contract negotiations) but Brick is a far better player than both of those guys.

All this being said it apparently was just a smoke screen, the Jets must be getting really desperate... they can't afford to sign the core but they can afford to spread PR.

Im not sure about Peters, but I was stunned when I looked up the numbers for Gross. I cant say I have a seen a ton of the Panthers, but I would have thought Gross was far inferior to Brick. Hes probably going to be worth similar money is my guess. I would not think he would fight for a few extra bucks. I know he recently hired a new agent, which could change his outlook, but last time around he signed a pretty Jet friendly deal. Seeing how all the other first round picks have gone for the Jets Id think he must be kicking himself for not negotiating a better contract, but that could just be the way he is. I know a few guys that see him around the town and go to the gym he works out at and everyone seems to say he seems like a pretty down to earth type of guy. I just hope the Jets dont screw around with a player like that. Why upset someone that there is no need to upset? I think they are doing that with Mangold right now and I cant say that I like that too much.