18-Game Regular Season: Good or Bad Idea?

PS17

Thoughts on 18-game regular season?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Thoughts on 18-game regular season?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/06/16/season.ap/index.html

NFL, union officials meet to discuss longer regular season

NEW YORK (AP) -- NFL and union officials discussed adding two games to the regular season when they met Wednesday for their first negotiating session since February.

Teams would still play a total of 20 exhibition plus regular-season games under the proposal. The league would go from four in the preseason and 16 in the regular season to two and 18.

"This is an idea that is really gaining momentum, particularly with the owners," Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy said on a conference call.

The current collective bargaining agreement expires in March, which could lead to a work stoppage during the 2011 season.

In quotes released by the NFL Players Association, Tom Brady and Ray Lewis expressed concern about the damage two extra regular-season games could do to players' bodies.

"I've taken part in several postseason runs where we have played 20 games," said Brady, the New England Patriots quarterback. "The long-term impact this game has on our bodies is well-documented. Look no further than the players that came before we did. Each player today has to play three years in order to earn five years of post-career health care."

Murphy said he frequently hears Packers fans complain about the quality of exhibition games, as starters now play sparingly in the preseason. With offseason training, he said, players come into camp in good shape and no longer need four games to prepare.

"Part of it is really providing more value to our fans," Murphy said. "The quality of our preseason has really deteriorated over time."

Murphy suggested that more regular-season games would mean more revenue -- which means more money distributed to players. The earliest season with an expanded schedule would be 2012.

"I know our fans may not like preseason games and I don't like all of them," said Lewis, the Baltimore Ravens linebacker, "but swapping two preseason games for two end-of-season games -- when players already play hurt -- comes at a huge cost for the player and the team."

Murphy said the league would look into how players train during the offseason and season to try to reduce injuries. The size of the active roster and practice squads could also be increased; that would have to be agreed to in bargaining.

The NFL could expand to 22 games -- four exhibition, 18 regular season -- under the current CBA, subject to financial negotiation with players, but Murphy said the league would not make a change without an agreement from the union.

He floated the possibility of creating a developmental league to make up for the experience lost by younger players with the reduction in preseason games.

"If you look across most professional sports, we're the only league without some type of minor league or developmental system to develop players," Murphy said.

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I can't remember which player said it but I remember them saying something along the lines of "my salary is based off a 16 game season, if you want to add 2 more games, you better raise my salary".

I doubt any owner is gonna be willing to up everyone's salary just for 2 more regular season games.

And besides, 16 games is perfectly fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

as much as i want to support this especially if they would remove two preseason game I honestly feel you really need those two games to get the 1st team on the same page and really evaluate your players. 2 preseason games is not enough to determine who is going to be a starter. Your basically risking losing the first two games cause guys still are adjusting to a new scheme or whatever... so no leave it at 17 weeks with a bye...adding more games will only lead to more injuries...

It's excellent for fans who are forced to buy two preseason games every year. After that, I don't see a lot to like about it. Since the league's gone to it's current eight division lineup, the schedules have been very fair and balanced (for real, not just a slogan). Adding two games could mess with that.

Shortening the preseason is a good idea, though. Three and 17 could make sense. There was talk of that, with every team getting one game in a neutral (presumably international) site.

Turrable idea. Imagine the Colts last year at 13-0, division clinched but 5 games to go. For me its a quantity-quality issue. Players arent going to play hard for 18 games, 80% of them dont play hard for 16 games. Its a recipe for a bunch of bad football IMO.

If they added a second bye week (injury and fatigue concerns) for each team and shorten the preseason, then I think it's a fine idea.

a second bye week is actually an excellent idea. players get a chance to recuperate twice over an 18 game span--how could they claim to be overworked?

I will now take full credit for this idea as CJ is a Dolphins fan and cannot possibly have come up with a good idea. SLM

a second bye week is actually an excellent idea. players get a chance to recuperate twice over an 18 game span--how could they claim to be overworked?

I will now take full credit for this idea as CJ is a Dolphins fan and cannot possibly have come up with a good idea. SLM

Damnit! I've already blown my load and it's not even 10 am yet.

I propose you and I set up a meeting with Goodell to pitch MY idea. ;)

I think an 18-game season, with two fewer preseason games, and two bye weeks for each team, would be a good idea. The 53-man roster would have to expanded to maybe 56. Hopefully, this whole 53-man roster, but only 45 active on game day, would go away as well. Why not have the entire roster active for games.

I think it is a great idea, take away two pre-season games.

Teams that prepare better in camp will have a deserved advantage weeks one and two.

Should also add a few roster spots and possibly a 2nd bye week.

More injuries? Gimme a ****ing break. These are NFL athletes, they get paid enough to play two more ****ing football games. Jesus.

if you ever met, spoke with an NFL alumni, or even saw one of these guys try to walk, you might change your outlook. It's heartbreaking what happens to these players after the game is over... the more i learn about the NFL, the less i like it. another 2 games would just be ratcheting up the meat-grinder a notch.

Please....Kris Jenkins can barely make it through 10 games..

This is Jenkins 10th year and he's only had 3 seasons where he missed the majority of the season, twice with the Panthers and once with us and they were due to injury. Every other season he played all 16 games, that included him being a Jet. What do you mean he can barely make it through 10 games? Or is this what you hear around the forums so you decided to say it because its popular....though quite wrong?

Please....Kris Jenkins can barely make it through 10 games..

You have no idea what you are talking about.

This is Jenkins 10th year and he's only had 3 seasons where he missed the majority of the season, twice with the Panthers and once with us and they were due to injury. Every other season he played all 16 games, that included him being a Jet. What do you mean he can barely make it through 10 games? Or is this what you hear around the forums so you decided to say it because its popular....though quite wrong?

Yeah that.

Archived