Self Esteem

SenorGato

So last night I caught a kids sports ad on Comcast where they were informing us that WINNING has NEGATIVE SIDE AFFECTS TOO! What in the ***** was he talking about? These d-bag kids and their self esteem. See it's part of a "healthy lifestyle" and it helps build a "healthy mind" when you learn to lose. Who's buying this garbage?

Are people really this retarded?

So last night I caught a kids sports ad on Comcast where they were informing us that WINNING has NEGATIVE SIDE AFFECTS TOO! What in the ***** was he talking about? These d-bag kids and their self esteem. See it's part of a "healthy lifestyle" and it helps build a "healthy mind" when you learn to lose. Who's buying this garbage?

I'm not so sure it's retarded.

It's the flip side of the stupid "let's not keep score!" rules. IMO a healthy kid learns from competition. You win some, you lose some and you can usually take something from each game, whether it's what you should try to improve on, how to be a respectful winner or that the world isn't going to hand you a victory and a trophy all the time. The important thing is to give an honest effort.

It's the flip side of the stupid "let's not keep score!" rules. IMO a healthy kid learns from competition. You win some, you lose some and you can usually take something form each game, whether it's what you should try to improve on, how to be a respectful winner or that the world isn't going to hand you a victory and a trophy all the time. The important thing is to give an honest effort.

mighty fine post

It's the flip side of the stupid "let's not keep score!" rules. IMO a healthy kid learns from competition. You win some, you lose some and you can usually take something form each game, whether it's what you should try to improve on, how to be a respectful winner or that the world isn't going to hand you a victory and a trophy all the time. The important thing is to give an honest effort.

Exactly. You tend to learn more from failure than from success; losing can be an important part of growing up.

It's the flip side of the stupid "let's not keep score!" rules. IMO a healthy kid learns from competition. You win some, you lose some and you can usually take something from each game, whether it's what you should try to improve on, how to be a respectful winner or that the world isn't going to hand you a victory and a trophy all the time. The important thing is to give an honest effort.

I should have touched that...They don't keep score. They don't want to keep score for the safety of the mental health and self esteem of these kids.

Also, d'you guys see that Domino's or Pizza Hut commercial where the kids open with "winning is overrated?" Nooooooooooo it's not.

Exactly. You tend to learn more from failure than from success; losing can be an important part of growing up.

agree and so can winning. the best part of kids sports is the handshake after the game. win or lose you learn to show sportsmanship and respect for your opponent. if there is no winners or losers the kids are just running around until the whistle is blown and they can go to pizza hut - the handshake means nothing.

Winning all the time can turn you into a POS.

My oldest son is 10 and smart, and has become accustomed to always beating his brothers at video games.

If he slips to 2nd place against his brother (and I'm not nearby to bust him) he'll restart the game, or hit reset and say "I'm bored, let's play another one". His expectation for instant success had almost gotten to the point where he can't learn anything new, because he has no patience for a learning curve.

Which brings me to one of my guiding principles:

Successful people don't win all the time, they just keep getting up after each loss, while everyone else gives up. This is why nerds who entered college as virgins make more money than we do.

It teaches resiliency. That's how you develop as a person and I believe this type of attitude is what gives lots of people my age the "entitled" personality they seem to have.

Actually, being able to accept and learn from failure can do great things for your self esteem as well as respect for your fellow man.

I wouldnt say that winning has negative effects, but consistently winning without knowing what it is to have lost could build a sense of selfish entitlement which is negative.

Actually, being able to accept and learn from failure can do great things for your self esteem as well as respect for your fellow man.

I wouldnt say that winning has negative effects, but consistently winning without knowing what it is to have lost could build a sense of selfish entitlement which is negative.

Basically. That's why the whole "let's not keep score" thing never works. I worked at a day camp where they preached that. I didn't give a crap, I'd tell my campers (2nd grade boys) "Yea, You lose, and by a lot." Some kids cared, and it drove them to play harder the next game and others were completely brainwashed and would answer "No, nobody loses, we don't keep score!"

That experience is a direct influence on how I'll raise my son.

so it seems no one approves of the "no score keeping leagues" which begs the question... why do we have them???

People that don't care about or understand the lessons one can learn from sports or competition, but can't find any other way to keep their kids from becoming uselessly obese couch potatoes.

People that don't care about or understand the lessons one can learn from sports or competition, but can't find any other way to keep their kids from becoming uselessly obese couch potatoes.

i'm surprised there are enough of these idiots to ruin it for the rest of us. i won't put my kid in a no score league, ever. period.

Some people have too much self-esteem. Most of them post here.

What is too much self esteem?

Stuff like that is sad, and it's worse to see it accepted. If we're all free individuals then what the hell is the collective good I assume is expected from creating some arbitrary level of appropriate self esteem?

What is too much self esteem?

Stuff like that is sad, and it's worse to see it accepted. If we're all free individuals then what the hell is the collective good I assume is expected from creating some arbitrary level of appropriate self esteem?

i think we're all agreeing that we shouldn't try to manipulate self-esteem levels by creating artificial environments where failure is impossible. at best, these efforts are counterproductive. much self-esteem is built from learning that you can lose sometimes without being a failure because life goes on despite failing to achieve perfection (which is of course impossible).

i think we're all agreeing that we shouldn't try to manipulate self-esteem levels by creating artificial environments where failure is impossible. at best, these efforts are counterproductive. much self-esteem is built from learning that you can lose sometimes without being a failure because life goes on despite failing to achieve perfection (which is of course impossible).

So then why don't they just tell the losers that they lost? They can explain to them that by being allowed to survive after their loss (which most little leagues and kids leagues allow) they have been given an opportunity to get better at it if they choose to. There's the chance a couple of them might even understand.

There's just something that seems wrong about the idea, no? There's no solid logic in it. The word itself, self esteem, seems like nothing more than a buzz word.

Winning isn't everything ... it's the only thing. I've been playing ball for getting close to half a century and I still don't do well with losing when I and or my team don't play up to our capabilities and lose because of it. Very different from playing well and getting beat by a team that played better. Having respect for a team that beat you when you played your A game takes the bite out of losing. I don't know how you learn that when you don't keep score or there are no winners or losers. Those that want to teach kids like that should be forced to do it in another country that they establish and move to.

Archived