Nice read on World Cup and 'underdogs'

SouthernJet

World Cup 2010: Small fish thriving in big pond

By Rory Smith World Cup 2010 Last updated: June 24th, 2010

To borrow a line from a colleague, the 20th edition of the World Cup turned in the 92nd minute at Loftus Versveld yesterday. Landon Donovan

And the USA winning the world cup this year would not top the Hockey Gold metal in lake placid.

True, but nothing will ever top that because Team USA was made up of amateurs, not professionals, and BEAT professionals. USA winning the World Cup would certainly be the 2nd greatest sports moment in our nation's history, hands down.

The World Cup, of course, is seeded. Seeding systems, in every sport, are designed to favour the strong and punish the weak.

Not necessarily true in this case. Because of the goal differential tiebreaker in Group Play, a truly dominant effort over a weakling gives the strong teams the upper hand.

For instance, while the Ivory Coast may be able to equal Portugal in points tomorrow, they would have to overcome a 9 goal gap in goal differential in order to advance ahead of the Portuguese, thanks to Portugal's 7-0 beatdown over North Korea. Margin of victory, unlike any other seeded tournament, plays an important role.

True, but nothing will ever top that because Team USA was made up of amateurs, not professionals, and BEAT professionals. USA winning the World Cup would certainly be the 2nd greatest sports moment in our nation's history, hands down.

I would rank it 3rd greatest sports moment in our nation's history. I consider the greatest moment of all of US international sports to be Jesse Owens domination over the superior aryans at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. But then again my two favorite sports stars are Owens and Jackie Robinson.

I would rank it 3rd greatest sports moment in our nation's history. I consider the greatest moment of all of US international sports to be Jesse Owens domination over the superior aryans at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. But then again my two favorite sports stars are Owens and Jackie Robinson.

agree,,,great US moment, but not a great upset..he had run better times than field before olympics..

So far nothing has happened in the world cup more shocking than than a 5 seed beating a 12 seed in march madness. Had Ghana won yesterday knocking Germany out...that would have been huge.

The two finalists from the '06 Cup are about to not advance. The champs at the hands of Slovakia. You're equating this to a 12 beating a 5?

The two finalists from the '06 Cup are about to not advance. The champs at the hands of Slovakia. You're equating this to a 12 beating a 5?

France getting knocked out is being wayyyyyyy overplayed. Yeah they were finalists FOUR years ago. But the team hasn't done much recently.

They didn't qualify for the 2009 Confederations Cup and they got knocked out of the the 2008 European Championship in round 1. France just isn't a great team. Now if Italy doesn't advance that will be bigger deal than a 12 beating a 5. But that hasn't happened yet.

i dont get this "fifa has it out for the USA" thinking

as conspiracy theories go, it's mularky

USA has 300 million people, do you know how many jerseys FIFA will sell if the usa keeps winning? Or what the TV ratings will be?

if anything FIFA is rooting for the USA not against it. it's a huge untapped market for them.

USA has 300 million people, do you know how many jerseys FIFA will sell if the usa keeps winning? Or what the TV ratings will be?

if anything FIFA is rooting for the USA not against it. it's a huge untapped market for them.

Bingo.

In 1994, when the USA hosted the World Cup, it was easily the highest revenue-generating World Cup before or since. The United States knows how to throw a party.

With the US already submitting bids for both the 2018 and 2022 World Cup (which will be announced in December), does anyone really think FIFA wants to piss us off to the point where we withdraw our bids?

Bingo.

I think too often folks on the downside of a bad call like to claim conspiracy when it was just a bad mistake. Refs are human and not perfect. Have there been conspiracies..yeah '76 olympics basketball game. but the officiating in the world cup has just been some human error not unfair reffing.

I think the writer is overly paranoid about the tradition of seeding teams in tournaments. The main motive is to prevent the best teams from losing in a fluke game early on.

That just leaves the USA, arguably the weakest of the four. Having seen all three of their games thus far, their defence is prone to turning into a rabble, their attack is blunt and their midfield, Donovan and Michael Bradley apart, their midfield is more inclined to grit than grace,

This analysis overlooks that as usual we have great goal keeping and thats part of defense. And no mention is made of our tremendous team speed, which has been key to our scoring and which the coach is doing a great job of maximizing. Something the previous two coaches weren't smart enough to do. Drawing on a country of 300 million people, we will always have enough speed.

I think too often folks on the downside of a bad call like to claim conspiracy when it was just a bad mistake. Refs are human and not perfect. Have there been conspiracies..yeah '76 olympics basketball game. but the officiating in the world cup has just been some human error not unfair reffing.

Agreed. As a soccer ref/coach/player the goal taken away from Dempsey for offside was a ref's nightmare. It was a quick rebound and quick shot/pass while dempsey leaned into an offside position.

It's easy to look at the tape and say he was onside...but holy crap...that was a bang bang play for a ref that was 40 yards away. I don't fault him for it, that stuff happens a lot in soccer.

The best goalkeeper in the tournament is on his way back to New Zealand.

Mark Paston made save after save for the Kiwis.

for my money Julio Cesar is the best goalie in 2010 WC

Paston is great... Howard is also pretty great.

Nigeria's keeper did some handstands against Argentina.

These 4 are probably is the makings of top 5 goalie list in WC.

FIFA no. D-bag refs from Mali, yes.

Looks like the Nigerian Prez is pissed....

Nigerian team suspended for poor play

Email Print

Associated Press

ABUJA, Nigeria -- The president of Nigeria has suspended the national soccer team from international competition for two years after a poor showing at the World Cup.

Ima Niboro, a spokesman for President Goodluck Jonathan, made the announcement Wednesday, saying the ban would enable the country to reorganize its football administration.

Niboro said that all funding for the World Cup squad, including the hiring of Swedish coach Lars Lagerback, would be investigated.

Nigeria was eliminated from the World Cup with just one point, which came in a 2-2 draw with South Korea in its final game. Nigeria lost to Argentina 1-0 in its Group B opener and fell to Greece 2-1 in a game turned by the first-half expulsion of midfielder Sani Kaita.

The Super Eagles haven't won a World Cup match since 1998, going out with two losses and a draw in 2002 and failing to qualify for Germany 2006.

The Nigerian Football Federation's executive committee had earlier tendered an apology to the government and "all football loving Nigerians" for the early exit.

Nigeria risks being banned by FIFA, soccer's governing body, from all international soccer because of the political interference.

"At the time of writing, we have no official information on this matter," FIFA said in a statement. "However, in general, FIFA's position regarding political interference in football is well known."

Nigeria's next scheduled international match is a qualifier for the 2012 African Cup of Nations, at home against Madagascar in early September.

FIFA rules demand that national federations manage their affairs independently, or face suspension from world soccer. National and club teams, plus referees, would be barred from participating in international matches and soccer officials are prevented from attending meetings.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter had already expressed concern over the French government's investigation into France's surprising first-round exit from the World Cup.

"Definitely I can tell you that political interference will be dealt with by FIFA notwithstanding what kind of interference and what is the size of the country," Blatter said Tuesday in remarks about France.

Archived