Big Time Coaches, coaching to not lose

4HCrew

I have been ripping Herm for his conservative style and yesterday watched both Parcells and Shanahan do the same thing. Parcells played ultra conservative relying on his defense and playing for field goals, even while deep in the red zone and so did Shanahan. These guys just believe and running game and defense and are petrified to put the game in the qbs hands... for good reason but just weird to watch. These guys have a solid resume so they get away with it and Herm gets killed for it.

Shanahan, Schottenheimer and Parcells all did the same thing-take the air out of the ball, run and hope you can run out the clock. Schott was the worst, because the Eagles were beat and couldn't stop Gates at all. And he goes 3 times to LT when he really wan't doing anything(which was more the OL having no success vs. the Eagles front 7). AT least all 3 of those teams had leads, which is rarity with Hermie, and he still pulls that BS anayway.

I have been saying these things for weeks. I am glad that a bye week allowed everyone to watch some other games.

There is a lot of "bad" coaching going on. That being said, the esasiest thing in the world to do, is to second guess.

Does this make Herm a great, or even good coach? No. But I am glad that there is some enlightening. This stuff goes on a weekly basis.

Bellichick is the most immune. Usually, Andy does a good job, but he choked the bit today, also

I have been saying these things for weeks. I am glad that a bye week allowed everyone to watch some other games.

There is a lot of "bad" coaching going on. That being said, the esasiest thing in the world to do, is to second guess.

Does this make Herm a great, or even good coach? No. But I am glad that there is some enlightening. This stuff goes on a weekly basis.

Bellichick is the most immune. Usually, Andy does a good job, but he choked the bit today, also

Scott you have been saying this. You proposed a bet to someone. Each of you taking a coach and disecting their moves here after the game.

I thought that was a really cool idea. I was bummed that nobody ever followed through on your challenge.

I have been ripping Herm for his conservative style and yesterday watched both Parcells and Shanahan do the same thing. Parcells played ultra conservative relying on his defense and playing for field goals, even while deep in the red zone and so did Shanahan. These guys just believe and running game and defense and are petrified to put the game in the qbs hands... for good reason but just weird to watch. These guys have a solid resume so they get away with it and Herm gets killed for it.

Although I think Brees is a very good QB, what do all these "conservative" coaches have in common? QB's that can't get it done when the pressure is on -a QB you can't completely trust. Bledsoe, Plummer, McNabb (whom I always thought was over-rated and watched choke/hyperventilate in the SB last year). You can throw Pennington/Testeverde in there too.

well hats off to you Scott..yesterday was the first day in a while I focused on games other than the Jets. I was truly amazed.. the play calling that was so conservative, the haunted draw plays etc it was funny I kept thinking Herm was on the sidelines...

Scott you have been saying this. You proposed a bet to someone. Each of you taking a coach and disecting their moves here after the game.

I thought that was a really cool idea. I was bummed that nobody ever followed through on your challenge.

MAX-Sperm Edwards actually followed through with it and picked John Fox-A good pick.

We were to start with the Panthers-Miami game, a gam,e which I would have had a lot of ammo, but I am the one that backed out.

That was the week that Penny went down, and I just could not force myself into critiquing any more games.

Anyway, it was on me, and that is why it fell apart.

well hats off to you Scott..yesterday was the first day in a while I focused on games other than the Jets. I was truly amazed.. the play calling that was so conservative, the haunted draw plays etc it was funny I kept thinking Herm was on the sidelines...

There is no credit that needs to go my way-but here is a good observation-Fans want to see perfect execution. Well, perfect execution is hard to attain.

What DirectTV and the global wired community has allowed us to see is that all teams have flaws in some manner or another. Rather than just seeing brief highlights of other teams, we are now allowed to see them in raw form-In game action. We get to see the warts, we get to see the foiables.

One problem that Jet fans have is they often get to only see their team, and then they get to see the Patriots most often in comparison. Well, that comparison will pale in most cases.

Right now, there is Bill Bellichick in game execution and then there is the rest of the league. Andy Reid, John Fox are probably on the next level.

Then Parcells.

I have seen Parcells make some glaring mistakes though.

Again, 2nd guessing is the easiest thing in the world

I watched the replay of the Cowboys, and I don't think you can fault Parcells; that's going to happen. he at least played to win by passing. As awfula s that loss is, his offense didn't lay down and start that run out the clock act, like these others did.

As to Shanahan, Reid and Schottenheimer, all of them didn't even bother to try to win. And all of them are shaky and scared. But for Shanahan being blessed with Elway and Terrell Davis, I doubt he'd be polishing any rings at all. Don't think that the piss poor cowardly quality of coaching makes Edwards any better except by comparison, which is faint lefthanded praise.

MAX-Sperm Edwards actually followed through with it and picked John Fox-A good pick.

We were to start with the Panthers-Miami game, a gam,e which I would have had a lot of ammo, but I am the one that backed out.

That was the week that Penny went down, and I just could not force myself into critiquing any more games.

Anyway, it was on me, and that is why it fell apart.

You should reconsider. That would be a really cool topic each week. I was looking forward to it.

I have been ripping Herm for his conservative style and yesterday watched both Parcells and Shanahan do the same thing. Parcells played ultra conservative relying on his defense and playing for field goals, even while deep in the red zone and so did Shanahan.

I watched both those games yesterday. When Parcells is sitting on a lead, he typically goes very conservative late in the game tryng to protect the lead through smashmouth football. It didn't work yesterday and Bledsoe threw a pathetic pick that lost the game.

I agree with you on Shanahan. That was atypical of the way he coaches. He definitely should be called out for his performance yesterday.

BTW, did you guys see Parcells punch his WR coach when he was talking with the refs late in the game. That was friggn' hilarious.

Most coaches will play conservative late in the game with a lead.

Broncos were in a position to run out the clock and get a clinching field goal but Shanahan played the percentage that the Giants would not be able to drive the field- hindsight is great as a sports fan

I watched both those games yesterday. When Parcells is sitting on a lead, he typically goes very conservative late in the game tryng to protect the lead through smashmouth football. It didn't work yesterday and Bledsoe threw a pathetic pick that lost the game.

I agree with you on Shanahan. That was atypical of the way he coaches. He definitely should be called out for his performance yesterday.

BTW, did you guys see Parcells punch his WR coach when he was talking with the refs late in the game. That was friggn' hilarious.

TX-Not always on Parcells. I have seen him go for the jugular.

I distinctly remember a Monday night ganme against the Pats, when teh Jets were nuring a late lead with a bout 2 mins left, he went up top and hit Ward on a fly pattern.

Yesterday, with the lead, and just across mid-field, Parcells called for a flea-flicker. His RB boobled the ball though, and the play never got off.

Parcells changes it up. Certainly more than Herm.

Good post. As a Steelers fan i know all too well what it's like to see a coach turtle with a lead. We did not even attempt a pass in the 4th quarter yesterday, and maybe only 2 or 3 in the 3rd. Thats a formula that alot of coaches use. Run the ball on O. Stop the run on D.

parcells did basically the same thing vs. the redskins earlier this season. that is 2 games the cowboys lost by basically going into a shell on offense and trying to run a quarter off of the clock.

Archived