Ed Reed Might Miss Monday Night Opener

flgreen

RAVENS: Ed Reed says he's 35 percent recovered from hip surgery

Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 2:27 pm

By Aaron Wilson, Times Staff Writer |

Baltimore Ravens star free safety Ed Reed might not be available for the start of the regular season.

The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year estimated that he

I'd prefer to beat the Ravens at full-strength, but I'm not about to say that I'd mind having him miss the Monday Nighter. Reed still scares the shi* out of me after all these years, and a fully healthy Reed is almost guaranteed to have one long INT return off of Sanchez. Its just a fact of life.

I'd prefer to beat the Ravens at full-strength, but I'm not about to say that I'd mind having him miss the Monday Nighter. Reed still scares the shi* out of me after all these years, and a fully healthy Reed is almost guaranteed to have one long INT return off of Sanchez. Its just a fact of life.

Haha. You are right.

I only am concerned with a Jets win. I do not care if Reed sits out and the Jets win. The Jets do not get extra points if Reed plays.

I only am concerned with a Jets win. I do not care if Reed sits out and the Jets win. The Jets do not get extra points if Reed plays.

True. You take the W regardless. But if we're going to win, I don't want it to be at the expense of a key starter being hurt. Basically I'm just saying I'm not going to celebrate if Reed is injured or moan if Reed is able to play. Take care of business regardless.

Ed Reed should be a member of the NY Jets. I've never yelled so loud at a T.V. when we passed him for Bryan Thomas.

they also passed on mike rumph and lito sheppard. There was no guarantee that if they took a DB it was gonna be reed.

they also passed on mike rumph and lito sheppard. There was no guarantee that if they took a DB it was gonna be reed.

Lito Sheppard was a Pro Bowl CB for a few years... would not have been a bad selection.

Lito Sheppard was a Pro Bowl CB for a few years... would not have been a bad selection.

Ed Reed was so obviously the pic its not even funny. We drafted Thomas when we had Abraham and Ellis. Anyone that watched Reed play at the "U" knew this guy was HOF material.

No...he really wasnt. I typically agree with your revisionist theory on a guy like Gholston...but there was no reason whatsoever to pass on Ed Reed.

I think you misunderstand him, JiF. Bitonti still thinks in hindsight that Bryan Thomas was the right choice.

I think you misunderstand him, JiF. Bitonti still thinks in hindsight that Bryan Thomas was the right choice.

that's not what I said. My point was everyone assumes it would have been Reed instead. it could have been rumph. There were many reasons ed reed fell down the board, 2 of those were his age and his timed speed.

as an aside there's no telling what kind of coaching ed reed would have received when he arrived, or even if he would be the same player

he shows up in Baltimore he's got rex, marvin lewis, ray lewis and an awesome team to emulate. Bryan Thomas showed up and found Herm and Ted Cotrell.

this is my whole "the draft doesn't occur in a vacuum" theory which postulates that the match between player and team is just as important as the player's raw skills.

that's not what I said. My point was everyone assumes it would have been Reed instead. it could have been rumph. There were many reasons ed reed fell down the board, 2 of those were his age and his timed speed.

as an aside there's no telling what kind of coaching ed reed would have received when he arrived, or even if he would be the same player

he shows up in Baltimore he's got rex, marvin lewis, ray lewis and an awesome team to emulate. Bryan Thomas showed up and found Herm and Ted Cotrell.

this is my whole "the draft doesn't occur in a vacuum" theory which postulates that the match between player and team is just as important as the player's raw skills.

bitoni is being admirable here. he's sticking with his assessment that at the time, with the information currently available, the thomas pick made sense. cowards conveniently forget their opinion at the time and engage in revisionist history.

ed reed might've turned into kerry rhodes on the jets.

I get it...I remember that draft well. And Ed Reed was definitely the pick for me there, but hey, some opinions differ

And like I've always said with you about Gholston, hated the pick, hated the prospect, but couldnt blame the Jets for making the pick.

That situation...IMO...totally different.

Archived