knicks free agency thread

Larz

I say they strike out and don't get lebron, wade or bosch.

lebron stays in clevelend, wade stays in miami (both for the $$) and bosch goes to chicago

will they have the worst team ever with the line up they have now and a few second level FA's ?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say they strike out and don't get lebron, wade or bosch.

lebron stays in clevelend, wade stays in miami (both for the $$) and bosch goes to chicago

will they have the worst team ever with the line up they have now and a few second level FA's ?

It looks as if your getting joe johnson...with him and maybe say you sign david lee and a few average player you sign along the way you should at least be back in the playoff mix. When Eddie Curry's contract come off the books next year you can pursue Mello. I just want you guys to be relevant again because i cherrished heat/lnicks rivalry.

the knicks ownership should be put into public stocks and rotten tomatoes thrown at them for what they did to this team. they should be stripped of all their belongings and banished from the city.

Kind of what CBS did to the Yankees before Steinbrenner bought them.

Lebron will stay in Cleveland- Knicks will pick up Johnson it looks like with the rumors right now.

I saw that today, maybe johnson and stoudamire as a plan B

I'll take it

johnson, AS and gali would be a nice foundation to build on

Joe Johnson & Amare Stoudamire will be Knicks. LeBron & Bosh to either Miami or Chicago.

The key is after those two are signed is finding a way to trade David Lee to San Antonio or New Orleans for either Tony Paker or CP3. We need a ****ing PG.

The key is after those two are signed is finding a way to trade David Lee to San Antonio or New Orleans for either Tony Paker or CP3. We need a ****ing PG.

Can't be done... the Knicks have to rescind the rights to Lee in order to sign two max players, thereby losing his Bird rights and any chance of a sign-and-trade.

Agreed... both lack the strength and physicality to defend as a 4, but Lee wins is durability and character (the Cleveland situation soured me on Boozer).
I agree, but in an ideal situation Lee should not be guarding centers.

Walsh and D'antoni were just spotted in Boston with Brian Scalabrine :face:

It does not look like things are going to go so good for the Knicks.

I hope they can get Johnson, and then just wait for Melo and Paul.

I'd like to get Stoudemire too, but I doubt they will get him.

I believe James and Wade will be staying put.

I never saw either one of them leaving their teams to be honest but you never know.

All this hoopla and the Knicks will have to be content for the second tier group I think.

I never saw either one of them leaving their teams to be honest but you never know.

All this hoopla and the Knicks will have to be content for the second tier group I think.

+1, my Knicks bias wanted James, but I believe he stays and opts out in 3 yrs.

I agree, but in an ideal situation Lee should not be guarding centers.

Come to think of it, in an ideal situation, Lee is playing for a team other than the Knicks. He can't guard at the 4 either, as his poor help defense, lack of shot-blocking ability, inability (or unwillingness) to consistently box-out, and lack of strength are all issues.

Come to think of it, in an ideal situation, Lee is playing for a team other than the Knicks. He can't guard at the 4 either, as his poor help defense, lack of shot-blocking ability, inability (or unwillingness) to consistently box-out, and lack of strength are all issues.
Maybe, but it might not be as bad as it was, had he been guarding a 4.

Hey, we agreed on something! :cheers:
Let's go for two. :)

If the Knicks could get Stoudemire, and then go hard after Carmelo and Paul next year, they should be fine.

I hear talks between Phoenix and Stoudemire have broken down, and I know the Nets want him bad.

I hope the Knicks sign him, they probably will have to pay him a max contract though.

I'm not sure he should get one, because he may be breaking down some.

They'll have to give him one to get him IMO.

Let's go for two. :)

If the Knicks could get Stoudemire, and then go hard after Carmelo and Paul next year, they should be fine.

I hear talks between Phoenix and Stoudemire have broken down, and I know the Nets want him bad.

I hope the Knicks sign him, they probably will have to pay him a max contract though.

I'm not sure he should get one, because he may be breaking down some.

They'll have to give him one to get him IMO.

Yes, I'll agree the Knicks will give a max contract to a player who isn't a 'max' type of player. I rather it be Stoudemire than Johnson IMO.

2 for 2

Yes, I'll agree the Knicks will give a max contract to a player who isn't a 'max' type of player. I rather it be Stoudemire than Johnson IMO.

2 for 2

Yep, I'll re-agree with that too.

I'm pretty sure Stoudemire is bucking Phoenix because they won't pay him max, so he'll probably get it from someone.

Per ESPN.com, the Knicks are hoping to convince LeBron James, Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire to come play in New York next season, for a pay cut. They would offer each a five-year deal that averages $15.7 million with an opt-out after three years. Then, the Knicks would pay the players more since they'd have their Bird rights.

Being that there is no way Joe Johnson leaves $120+ million guaranteed on the table, he's going back to Atlanta. I'll give the Knicks credit though... it's creative.

Also, Rudy Gay just resigned for max with the Grizzlies. Cross another name off the list.

Per ESPN.com, the Knicks are hoping to convince LeBron James, Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire to come play in New York next season, for a pay cut. They would offer each a five-year deal that averages $15.7 million with an opt-out after three years. Then, the Knicks would pay the players more since they'd have their Bird rights.

Being that there is no way Joe Johnson leaves $120+ million guaranteed on the table, he's going back to Atlanta. I'll give the Knicks credit though... it's creative.

Also, Rudy Gay just resigned for max with the Grizzlies. Cross another name off the list.

Good luck with all that Knicks....:bag:

I also heard there could be a sign and trade with Gay involving the Wolves.

Good luck with all that Knicks....:bag:

The Knicks would be giving each guy a 4-year, $62.8m contract, with an opt-out after 3 years. I'm not sure how the raises in that deal work, but let's assume it's the same amount each year, bringing the 3-year total to $47.1m for each guy. Considering that a (non-Bird) max deal includes 8% annual increases, here is how much a 5-year max contract would pay each guy, with the 3-yr total in parentheses:

Johnson: $91.97m ($51.25m/3yr)

LeBron: $96.15m ($53.7m/3yr)

Amare: $99.8m ($55.74m/yr)

Now, consider that the current CBA allows the team to re-sign its Bird rights players (which all 3 will be) for 6-year deals with 10.5% annual increases. Based on the current figure of 105% of their last salary, the deals break down as follows over the first 5 years:

Johnson: $88.97m (difference of $3m over 5 years)

LeBron: $92.95m (difference of $3.2m over 5 years)

Amare: $96.09m (difference of $3.7m over 5 years)

On top of that, each player would have another 4 years at over $90m remaining on their Bird rights max deal. Not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Oh, one other thing.... when Curry's contract comes off the books after this season, the Knicks will be able to add another star player.

There are two major issues with all of this, though... you're asking players to give up a huge amount of guaranteed money with a promise of a bigger payday down the road. Injuries could cost these guys tens of millions of dollars, so it is a risk for them.

Secondly, this is assuming that the CBA looks relatively similar to the one currently in place. Since this is another league looking to reduce the cap figure, that is a huge assumption.

Regardless, my point was to show that it's not like the Knicks are asking these guys to play for free, and that they obviously don't care about paying the luxury tax.

Archived