knicks free agency thread

Larz

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something fundamentally wrong with the NBA that this circus is covered more than NBA Finals games.

James could sign with this rich thug who figures to die in a hail of bullets one day when he displeases Putin-

mikhail-prokhorov.jpg or this born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple shmuck who rips off cable suscribers for kicks-

james-dolan.jpg

Good luck with that.

the knicks ownership should be put into public stocks and rotten tomatoes thrown at them for what they did to this team. they should be stripped of all their belongings and banished from the city.

Actually they did put the ownership in public stocks. The IPO was issued last January as a an extra incentive for Lebron to come here.

And then David Stern immediately shot that down, inventing a new rule that players can't own stocks in the teams they play for.

David Stern blows.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the NBA that this circus is covered more than NBA Finals games.

James could sign with this rich thug who figures to die in a hail of bullets one day when he displeases Putin-

mikhail-prokhorov.jpg or this born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple shmuck who rips off cable suscribers for kicks-

james-dolan.jpg

Good luck with that.

Actually, Prokhorov is a pretty smart and likeable guy. Unlike Jim Dolan who is neither.

Supposedly the meeting between Lebron, Prokhorov and part-owner Jay-Z went great today. Wouldn't be surprised if it did. Nets can offer Lebron 1) a forum in the biggest market in North America 2) a supporting cast that will include another max free agent (either Wade or Bosh) + Devin Harris + Brook Lopez + Favors.

I'm a Knicks fan but honestly I would love to see Lebron play locally even if it is for another team like the Nets.

I'd just like to go on record and say that, while I haven't supported them much over the years, I did grow up a Nets fan. If LeBron were to come to Newark/Brooklyn, I definitely can't earn the right to jump back onto the bandwagon, but that would be amazing nonetheless.

Are you guys listening to yourself?

You Knick fans that want Joe Johnson are hilarious!

Did you see him in the playoffs vs. Orlando? Yeah..me neither.

I'm in shock at that Atlanta offer. That will literally be the worst contract in the history of basketball. Really. Worst, ever.

Had the Knicks offered even 2/3 of that I would have been fuming.

I'm in shock at that Atlanta offer. That will literally be the worst contract in the history of basketball. Really. Worst, ever.

Had the Knicks offered even 2/3 of that I would have been fuming.

Worse than Darko's 4 yr/ 20 Mill or amir Johnson's 5 yr/ 34 mill from yesterday?

Terrible contracts were handed out yesterday.

Worse than Darko's 4 yr/ 20 Mill or amir Johnson's 5 yr/ 34 mill from yesterday?

Terrible contracts were handed out yesterday.

The two you mentioned were a joke, but Johnson's has the potential to absolutely cripple an entire franchise. It's mind boggling. The majority of the league had actually, for once, exercised fiscal responsibility over the past year or two, and then they kick off the biggest free agency period in history with 3 of the worst offers in history...all while the cap's about to be renegotiated.

I'd just like to go on record and say that, while I haven't supported them much over the years, I did grow up a Nets fan. If LeBron were to come to Newark/Brooklyn, I definitely can't earn the right to jump back onto the bandwagon, but that would be amazing nonetheless.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you won't be the only one on that wagon. LOL

And I've said it many times on here, Joe Johnson is NOT a max player. I'm so glad ATL stepped up and did the right thing LMAO!

Very hilarious, I heard a rumor Orlando is trying to trade Carter for Arenas....that is also hilarious if true!

Some people consider me a Nets fan. I'm more of a Knicks fan, but I like both teams back from when they played in different leagues. I remember watching Dr J, Special K and Super John on WOR channel 9. My Dad still hates the Knicks because their buy-in for the NBA forced the Nets to sell Dr J to the Sixers and crippled a great team.

I don't think anybody really wanted JJ, I think we thought that might be all the Knicks could get.

Looks like they are going to have to pay guys max, that don't really deserve max if they want to land anybody.

LOL.

Knicks close to signing Amer'e Stoudemire for 5 yrs Max deal

Link

Because of his bad knees and bad eye the contract can't be insured.

The Dolan Knicks embarrass themselves again.

I think Ama're and Felton are locks to be Knicks. Which would be a good start to tell you the truth. It would certainly end the talent argument for the Lebron sweepstakes and theoretically Felton should come cheap enough to still leave enough cap room for him.

LOL.

Knicks close to signing Amer'e Stoudemire for 5 yrs Max deal

Link

Because of his bad knees and bad eye the contract can't be insured.

The Dolan Knicks embarrass themselves again.

What does this even mean? Stoudemire immediately upgrades the roster and can help recruit LeBron. Relative to the guys who are available, it's not LeBron or Wade, but it's far from offering the boat to Johnson or Gay.

What does this even mean? Stoudemire immediately upgrades the roster and can help recruit LeBron. Relative to the guys who are available, it's not LeBron or Wade, but it's far from offering the boat to Johnson or Gay.

What does this mean?

It means that the Knicks have had 9 straight losing seasons and threw away 2 years in order to sign the 4th best FA available. It's definitely better than Johnson and Gay, but let's get real here:

Stoudemire is a complimentary player. The only reason you give him max money is to be a nugget for LeBron/Wade. That's not happening.

Stoudemire is an upgrade but the Knicks will be lucky to win 40 games with him. You don't waste a decade in order to hope to be an "almost" winning team.

I think Ama're and Felton are locks to be Knicks. Which would be a good start to tell you the truth. It would certainly end the talent argument for the Lebron sweepstakes and theoretically Felton should come cheap enough to still leave enough cap room for him.

Get real, Rutgers. The Dolan Knicks, aka, the New York Klippers is the worst run franchise in the tri-state area, that includes the Buffalo Bills and the Islanders.

Ama're and Felton are not a "good start". They are the beginning and the end.

In fact, according to this report, LeBron has already eliminated the Knicks from contention because they lacked "preparedness and organization" in their presentation, and "The appearance of Knicks GM Donnie Walsh in a wheelchair due to a neck problem and the frumpy, unimpressive Jim Dolan didn

Get real, Rutgers. The Dolan Knicks, aka, the New York Klippers is the worst run franchise in the tri-state area, that includes the Buffalo Bills and the Islanders.

In fact, according to this report, LeBron has already eliminated the Knicks from contention because they lacked "preparedness and organization" in their presentation, and "The appearance of Knicks GM Donnie Walsh in a wheelchair due to a neck problem and the frumpy, unimpressive Jim Dolan didn

What does this mean?

It means that the Knicks have had 9 straight losing seasons and threw away 2 years in order to sign the 4th best FA available. It's definitely better than Johnson and Gay, but let's get real here:

Stoudemire is a complimentary player. The only reason you give him max money is to be a nugget for LeBron/Wade. That's not happening.

Stoudemire is an upgrade but the Knicks will be lucky to win 40 games with him. You don't waste a decade in order to hope to be an "almost" winning team.

Of course he's a complementary player. Yesterday, the Knicks roster consisted of Gallinari, Chandler, Toney Douglas, Bill Walker, and Eddy Curry. Now it consists of Gallo, Chandler, Douglas, Walker, Curry, and Amar'e. Which one of those rosters is more likely to land LeBron or Wade? Regardless of what their odds of landing either one of them are now, they're better than they were yesterday.

If they concede that they're out of the running for LeBron or Wade, should they have spent their cap money on Darko or Channing Frye instead? Bring back David Lee for a max or near-max deal?

http://www.realgm.net/src_wiretap_archives/67770/20100702/knicks_dispute_theyre_out_of_lebron_hunt_suggest_ulterior_motives/

I understand you're upset, but going all Walter Sobchak on everyone before anything's even happened is a bit premature, wouldn't you agree?

Rutgers, you're my boy so I'll be straight with you.

There's 2 people I've never met that I hate more than anything in life:

1. Osama bin Laden

2. James Dolan

I hate Dolan with every ounce of my being and I despise the ground he walks on for how he's sodomized this once proud franchise.

A part of me wants the Knicks to fail to embarrass that POS more and another part of me wants the Knicks to succeed in spite of him.

So, yeah, I'm angry. I'm angry every day that passes while James Dolan holds the Knicks hostage.

Fwiw, here's the financial presentation they pitched to Lebron, and based on the Interbrand study they used (the presentation is right at the bottom as well), I'd say the claim of disinformation holds some water.

http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/07/lebron-james-what-the-knicks-told-lebron-new-york-and-make-billion-dollars/

In pertinent part-

"The report is light on the details of its methodology". Which is polite for BVLLSHEET.

Here's some hard numbers-NY city and state income taxes-as of today- 9.7%; Sales tax-8.75%

Florida state and local taxes-0%; sales tax-6%

Further, in a world connected by the internet and 24/7 cable, where you play matter less and less.This story might have been valid in 1986, but now such things matter less and less. If Kevin Durant wins championhsips in OKC, he will print money. And based on the scare he gave the Lakers, it's plausible. If James wins championships he'll make serious money no matter what.

In fact, according to this report, LeBron has already eliminated the Knicks from contention because they lacked "preparedness and organization" in their presentation, and "The appearance of Knicks GM Donnie Walsh in a wheelchair due to a neck problem and the frumpy, unimpressive Jim Dolan didn’t provide James with an image of vibrancy.":

Link

this may be nit-picking and wishful thinking, but the link says his "inner circle" determined the knicks were eliminated

sounds like his entourage is leaking things trying to push things towards another option

"James met with the organization on Friday and his inner circle has described New York’s presentation as lacking preparedness and organization. James’ camp also found it to be redundant to much of the New Jersey Nets’ far sharper, edgier presentation on James’ earning power."

In pertinent part-

"The report is light on the details of its methodology". Which is polite for BVLLSHEET.

Here's some hard numbers-NY city and state income taxes-as of today- 9.7%; Sales tax-8.75%

Further, in a world connected by the internet and 24/7 cable, where you play matter less and less.This story might have been valid in 1986, but now such things matter less and less. If Kevin Durant wins championhsips in OKC, he will print money. And based on the scare he gave the Lakers, it's plausible. If James wins championships he'll make serious money no matter what.

where does florida get it's revenue ?

property taxes ?

In pertinent part-

Notice how they left the Nets out of the comparison. ;)

Per Stephen A. Looks like Bosh might have thrown a monkey wrench into things, which bodes well for NY...given this is true of course. He's also reported a few times that Melo definitely wants to be a Knick in '11. (Not a surprise, he and D'Antoni developed an incredible relationship in Athens).

http://stephena.com/?p=953

All along, Pat Riley’s plan as President of the Heat was to convince Wade to take a paycut and offer all three (Wade, LeBron and Bosh) deals averaging approximately $15.7 mil….with opt-outs after three years. But since Bosh wants the max at all cost (and he’s trying to get it in a sign-and-trade deal with Houston), it changed the game for everyone. Especially Miami and New York.

Suddenly, the Knicks jumped into the fray yesterday and offered the same options to Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudamire and LeBron. Despite expecting a max offer from the Atlanta Hawks, it’s believed Johnson is considering the Knicks just for the opportunity to play in New York with LeBron. Stoudamire will do the same if LeBron comes to NY, but both will settle for no less than max dollars if James elects NOT to come to NY...

Archived