knicks free agency thread

Larz

Per Stephen A. Looks like Bosh might have thrown a monkey wrench into things, which bodes well for NY...given this is true of course. He's also reported a few times that Melo definitely wants to be a Knick in '11. (Not a surprise, he and D'Antoni developed an incredible relationship in Athens).

http://stephena.com/?p=953

Thanks for the update, Rutgers.

Everybody else is just tapestry.

The Knicks HAVE TO sign either LeBron, Wade, or Carmelo (2011) for any of the team's maneuvers to have validity and erase the stench of the last decade. You can't be the Knicks and have that much cap space and not come away with 1 of those 3.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the update, Rutgers.

Everybody else is just tapestry.

The Knicks HAVE TO sign either LeBron, Wade, or Carmelo (2011) for any of the team's maneuvers to have validity and erase the stench of the last decade. You can't be the Knicks and have that much cap space and not come away with 1 of those 3.

That's what I'm saying dude. Calm down. Nothing's happening until next Wednesday. Until then it's anybody's game, but I'll tell you right now that Bosh pulling the max card will definitely filter down if this is true. No question these guys wanted to play together, but when push comes to shove, athletes usually take the money and that's something that NY holds the trump card for.

In the end, if we emerge from this with Ama're and someone else just for now, I'll have no problem with it so long as they don't overextend themselves. Because Smith isn't the first one to report that Melo wants to play in NY, and Paul's expressed an interest in it as well. The good news is that we also have a couple of tradable pieces if either of those options become reality.

Really, all we can do is sit back for now and watch.

@alanhahn I'm being told Amar'e believes he can help Knicks get LeBron (recall all-star wknd in feb.). He's also texting Tony Parker about teaming up.

Re: Parker - That's legit. There's been Parker to NY rumors swirling since April. He's huge on the 6SOL and supposedly Longoria is in his ear about moving to a major market.

This is like a soap opera for men.

It really is. I was just on the phone with a buddy of mine asking if he saw Wade on Sportscenter. This is how the conversation went:

"He said him and Lebron are doing their own things right now! Gotta be good right?"

"I think so. But did he mean they're doing their own things in terms of just visits or where they'll sign?"

"I think a little bit of both. His tone didn't sound too hopeful."

"Do we even know what his tone sounds like when he's legitimately hopeful?"

"No, not really."

"****."

"Yeah, ****."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5350982

Here's some more on the Knick meeting. A custom Sopranos movie, celebrity cameos, more than half the meeting consisted of time with the coach he knows discussing the game, and also a financial breakdown of earning potential. Really doesn't sound unprepared or dull at all. Again, have to assume that one anonymous quote was disinformation.

The Knicks believe they've been victimized by the kind of negative recruiting that defines major college sports, and hey, it happens, on both sides of the aisle. Former Knicks president Dave Checketts said he and ex-running mate Ernie Grunfeld routinely tried to sabotage any acquisition being made by the Chicago Bulls.

That was then, this is now. Right now, today, it seems the only people in the NBA who want the Knicks to land LeBron are drawing a paycheck from them.

Everyone has an agenda here -- teams, players, agents, people inside LeBron's camp, people who want to get inside LeBron's camp. The Knicks have an agenda, too. They want to sign James a whole lot more than they want to sign Stoudemire.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5350982

Here's some more on the Knick meeting. A custom Sopranos movie, celebrity cameos, more than half the meeting consisted of time with the coach he knows discussing the game, and also a financial breakdown of earning potential. Really doesn't sound unprepared or dull at all. Again, have to assume that one anonymous quote was disinformation.

It that from other reports that the Nets are behind these anti-Knick rumors.

Everyone knew that the Knicks will overpay for whatever talent was available, and most knew they didn't have a chance to land the 'big 2' (James or Wade). Get Stoudemire and try to build around him, I guess is their plan now. I don't know how effective he'll be without Steve Nash, Knicks need to try and pursue a true PG to run the show.

I wish Stern can force Dolan out....SMH

Stoudemire recruiting Anthony, Parker

By Ian Begley

Special to ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- Amare Stoudemire's tour of New York started Saturday night at the Brooks Atkinson Theater in Manhattan, where the 6-11 center took in the Broadway hit, "Rock of Ages."

After the musical, Stoudemire hinted that he'd be putting together a show of his own on Broadway next season.

"I've talked to Carmelo Anthony and [told him] that he needs to come here," Stoudemire said while standing on the corner of 47th St. and 8th Ave. after the show. "I've talked to Tony Parker. Both guys are ready to join me if I decide to come here. So we'll see if we can work it out."

What about LeBron James?

"That would be great," said Stoudemire, who wore a navy blue Yankees hat to the play.

The Knicks, of course, would have to swing a trade for either Anthony or Parker, both of whom are under contract next season.

Stoudemire broke off negotiations with the Phoenix Suns on Friday and entered talks with the Knicks, but the two sides have not come to an agreement, sources told ESPN.

Stoudemire confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com that he would be meeting with Knicks brass on Monday.

Saturday night, Stoudemire called the Knicks "one of the most historic franchises in NBA history. [New York] is a beautiful city. Madison Square Garden is definitely one of the most intriguing places to play. So they definitely have a few great points on their side."

When asked what he'd add to the Knicks roster, Stoudemire smiled and said, "We'll have to wait and see."

ESPN.com's Chad Ford reported on Saturday that Stoudemire decided to break off talks with the Suns after receiving the team's "final offer" -- a five-year, $95 million deal that didn't fully guarantee the final two years of the contract.

"The organization of Phoenix has been great my whole career," Stoudemire said. "I left my stamp on that organization as far as what we were able to accomplish. It was a great ride. So on to the next one."

Stoudemire said he would be attending the Yankees-Blue Jays game on Sunday in the Bronx. He said Derek Jeter was his favorite player and called Joba Chamberlain a close friend.

"I love New York, it's a great city," said Stoudemire, who left in a white limo shortly after being questioned by reporters.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/New-York-Knicks-meet-LeBron-James-agent-Leon-Rose-070410

A New York Knicks official said the NBA club had a second meeting with the agent for LeBron James on Saturday morning in Cleveland, the New York Post reported Sunday.

The meeting featured two executives, Knicks2_11pxw.gif senior vice president Glen Grunwald and Madison Square Garden president of operations Scott O'Neil.

Agent Leon Rose had called with questions regarding the Knicks2_11pxw.gif' salary-cap situation and team executives volunteered to come back to Cleveland, the official said.

James was not present. He showed up at 11:00 a.m. to meet with the Chicago Bulls and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Knicks' initial meeting Thursday was criticized in some quarters. James held meetings with six teams across three days in Cleveland.

Grunwald and O'Neil were in Chicago on Friday for meetings with Dwyane Wade2_11pxw.gif and Chris Bosh before flying back to Cleveland.

A report said James will not be making his decision until Thursday after his Akron, Ohio, kids camp.

The Knicks appear to be longshots.

Read more

Jack McCallum> INSIDE THE NBA

More ColumnsEmail Jack McCallum

Story Highlights

Amar'e is joining the Knicks; what this means for LeBron is an open question

Stoudemire alone isn't enough for the Knicks, who need<H1>Amar'e will help, but do Knicks have another big move in store?</H1> more of a splash

Stoudemire's past issues in Phoenix with coach Mike D'Antoni are overblown

print.gifamare-stoudemire-p1.jpg

Amar'e Stoudemire was at his best in the second half of last season, when he helped the Suns surge into the playoffs and reach the Western Conference finals.

Layne Murdoch Jr./NBAE via Getty Images

2010 NBA Free Agency

Latest Coverage

Amar'e Stoudemire agreed to sign with the Knicks on Monday, SI.com has learned, a move that still leaves unanswered the big question of this wild free-agent summer.

Which is: What is LeBron James going to do?

The fact that the talented Stoudemire will be coming to New York to reunite with coach Mike D'Antoni -- he can sign the new contract, believed to be for five years and close to $100 million, as soon as Thursday -- says one of three things:

As we all know, the facts are simple:

ONLY the Knicks have enough cap space to sign 2 max players out of Knicks, Nets, and Bulls. Again, only the Knicks can do that.

The Nets and Bulls are $3 to 4 million short of the necessary cap space. What bugs the crap out of me is that the media assumes that the Bulls and Nets can easily trade players to do that.

Wait, if it's so easy why haven't they done that already? Vinny kills the Wizards, but they still didn't give the Bulls full cap space.

The bottom line is that it takes 2 teams to make a deal and unless there is a team out there willing to HURT their own salary cap by trading with the Bulls or Nets, then they can't get it done.

If Ama're gets either Melo or Lebron here, this is the greatest contract in Knick history.

But seriously, Stoudemire increases the need for a PG that much more. Dude's a master of the pick and roll.

This, Knicks need a PG to run the show.

If Ama're gets either Melo or Lebron here, this is the greatest contract in Knick history.

But seriously, Stoudemire increases the need for a PG that much more. Dude's a master of the pick and roll.

This, Knicks need a PG to run the show.

Assuming the Knicks don't get LeBron.

If they get LeBron he's their version of Magic and the PG becomes less important.

The Knicks showed Lebron how they are the best option money wise and that they can put a better team around him then anybody else.

No team is in a better position to add top free agents next year either.

If Lebron goes somewhere else, I thinks it's because he's scared of the pressure of playing in New York.

If that's the case I don't even want him, Melo has already said he wants to be a Knick, I'd be fine with him.

The Knicks showed Lebron how they are the best option money wise and that they can put a better team around him then anybody else.

No team is in a better position to add top free agents next year either.

If Lebron goes somewhere else, I thinks it's because he's scared of the pressure of playing in New York.

If that's the case I don't even want him, Melo has already said he wants to be a Knick, I'd be fine with him.

While LeBron has a lot of talent, since he's been in the league the knock on him is that he doesn't have that 'killer instinct" and he tends to differ to others when the pressure is on. Especially this past playoffs, I was waiting for him to take over some games, and he really looked disinterested. So you may have something here

Reports are that Melo is going to sign the 3-yr extension to stay in Denver...

Also, there is word circulating that Derrick Rose isn't exactly welcoming the idea of signing LeBron. Ego is a bitch.

Reports are also saying they are looking to trade him regardless if he signs the extension or not. So much misinformation with the FA crap it's crazy.

All the more reason I think it's going to be Ridnour at this point...

I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in Brendan Haywood as well, so at least somebody in the front court can play some D. Unfortunately, they need to wait on LeBron and Wade to make their decisions before they can explore other deals, including on the trade front.

All the more reason I think it's going to be Ridnour at this point...

I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in Brendan Haywood as well, so at least somebody in the front court can play some D. Unfortunately, they need to wait on LeBron and Wade to make their decisions before they can explore other deals, including on the trade front.

I want Felton. A lot. Reports have discussions for a sign and trade-swap with Lee for Felton happening as of yesterday. Really think he's poised to break out given the right system and he's the best pure PG in this class IMO.

Reports are that Melo is going to sign the 3-yr extension to stay in Denver...

Also, there is word circulating that Derrick Rose isn't exactly welcoming the idea of signing LeBron. Ego is a bitch.

Those same reports are saying that Denver is not putting a deadline so Melo has until July 1, 2011 to sign the extension. Those reports also say that Melo is in no rush to sign the extension because of that.

And I can understand Rose not being happy with having LeBron. LeBron is a PG in a PF body. He totally undermines Rose' role.

I've always felt that the "Bulls are LeBron's best option because of Rose" were way off base. Rose and LeBron would have a problem coexisting. Melo or Wade is a better option if they keep Rose.

If the Bulls get LeBron I think they let Rose walk after next season because of the role conflict and Reinsdorf is luxury-tax averse.

Latest from Real GM

Report: Cavs, LeBron Working on Recruiting Bosh

Jul 06, 2010 11:00 AM EST

The Cavaliers and LeBron James are reportedly working on recruiting Chris Bosh to Cleveland.

The Raptors are open to completing a sign-and-trade with the Cavaliers.

Link

I want Felton. A lot. Reports have discussions for a sign and trade-swap with Lee for Felton happening as of yesterday. Really think he's poised to break out given the right system and he's the best pure PG in this class IMO.

I'm not convinced Felton is a better fit than Ridnour... while he's 10x the athlete that Ridnour is, he is prone to poor decision-making, can't shoot, and will likely command a bigger contract.

Ridnour is also much better at running the pick-and-roll...

Here's the full Brousard article

Sources: Raptors OK with Bosh to Cavs

By Chris Broussard

ESPN The Magazine

Archive

Everything is set for Chris Bosh to join LeBron James in Cleveland. Everything, that is, except Bosh's approval.

The Toronto Raptors have told the Cleveland Cavaliers they will do a sign-and-trade with them for Bosh, according to several league sources.

The exact details of the potential trade have not been solidified, but Toronto likely would get Anderson Varejao and/or J.J. Hickson, Delonte West and perhaps Anthony Parker. A draft pick could be involved as well.

Both James and Bosh are aware that such a trade is possible, and James has tried to recruit Bosh to the Cavaliers several times in the past few weeks, according to sources.

But right now, Bosh remains cold to the idea of playing in Cleveland.

The Cavaliers are hopeful that will change, because in Cleveland, Bosh can meet two of his top priorities: playing with James, and getting a six-year, $125 million contract.

If Bosh joins a team without doing a sign-and-trade, he will be able to sign only a five-year deal worth $96 million. He is determined not to leave that $29 million on the table, according to sources.

Although Bosh wants to play with James, he wants to do it in Chicago, Miami or New Jersey. Sources say he has told the Raptors those are the teams he would like to go to in a sign-and-trade.

Bosh also could play with Dwyane Wade instead of James in those cities.

Toronto, however, will not cooperate in a sign-and-trade with Miami, which has no players in whom the Raptors are interested, according to sources.

To move Bosh to Chicago, the Raptors likely would ask for Joakim Noah, though they could perhaps be persuaded to take a package that does not include him.

The Nets would seem to be able to put together an enticing package for the Raptors that included rookie lottery pick Derrick Favors.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

Link

Latest from Real GM

Report: Cavs, LeBron Working on Recruiting Bosh

Jul 06, 2010 11:00 AM EST

The Cavaliers and LeBron James are reportedly working on recruiting Chris Bosh to Cleveland.

The Raptors are open to completing a sign-and-trade with the Cavaliers.

Link

The minor obstacle in this being that Bosh apparently doesn't want to play in Cleveland and would prefer to land in New York (Jersey), Miami, or Chicago.

However, if it comes down to Cleveland being his only option for a sign-and-trade, I can't see him leaving $30 million on the table, as the money seems to be his primary concern.

The minor obstacle in this being that Bosh apparently doesn't want to play in Cleveland and would prefer to land in New York (Jersey), Miami, or Chicago.

However, if it comes down to Cleveland being his only option for a sign-and-trade, I can't see him leaving $30 million on the table, as the money seems to be his primary concern.

Totally agree.

I posted the full article which states Bosh doesn't want to go to Cleveland. But, like you said, if that's his only chance at hometown max then he'll do it.

I can understand Bosh wanting the extra $30 million because he's not the type of player who can make that up via endorsements.

Totally agree.

I posted the full article which states Bosh doesn't want to go to Cleveland. But, like you said, if that's his only chance at hometown max then he'll do it.

I can understand Bosh wanting the extra $30 million because he's not the type of player who can make that up via endorsements.

This is actually an interesting scenario, because the sign-and-trade to CLE gives him the extra year and the extra $30m, but it also means that in 3 years when LeBron leaves for real, he's right back where he started: struggling to get a bunch of bums into the playoffs in the East.

I like this signing because next year Carmelo will come to NY and make the Knicks a 50 win team for the next decade or so.

but as long as my boy Rajon Rondo is playing in the Atlantic Boston got this division on lock :D

Archived