knicks free agency thread

Larz

*If* LBJ signs with the Heat, the guy is a JOKE! It's called "Wade county" for a reason.

Joke yeah, but really, at it's core, it's just lame. Go on TV, take a giant dump on the city that never did anything but love and embrace you, and go join an alpha dog with a title already because you've been unable to win one on your own.

Seriously, if he goes to Miami, he becomes my least favorite athlete ever. Forever ever? Forever ever.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lee for Anthony Randolph's supposedly a go if Lebron falls through. Which would be ****ing awesome. Randolph would be fantastic in D'Antoni's system.

One obstacle... Lee has to want to play in Golden State - a team that has won less than 30 games in back-to-back years. Considering that he has played for sub-35 win teams his entire career and that he has zero ties to California, the only way I can see him going is if it's for the extra year.

80's-90's is tough because he's a tweener-SF. Best I can say is Tayshaun Prince or Odom even in terms of a skill-set. But he's only 20 and his talent's absolutely through the roof. Attitude's been a concern but who knows with Nelson out in GS right now...he has a ton of work to do on his game but the sky really is the limit if he polishes his jump shot and bulks up because he's still too light to guard most PF's and he's not experienced enough yet to guard SF's. However if there's one thing that D'Antoni has a fantastic track record in terms of development in, it's bringing along players like this (Diaw, Barbosa, Bell), and he's twice as talented as any of them.

If you want to go back a little further, he's a mix of a pre-sperm donor, pre-obesity, pre-drugs Shawn Kemp and a less physically mature David Robinson.

He could be that good, as he's yet to even turn 21, but he needs to mature both physically and mentally. I love the thought of adding his shot-blocking ability to the Knicks, as it's something they've been sorely missing.

Miami is my second choice for him after NYK. I'm a bigger fan of the NBA than I am of the Knicks, and LeBron winning a title as the Lucky Pierre of Miami Thrice makes his career arc far more interesting than his winning one as Evolutionary Willis.

One obstacle... Lee has to want to play in Golden State - a team that has won less than 30 games in back-to-back years. Considering that he has played for sub-35 win teams his entire career and that he has zero ties to California, the only way I can see him going is if it's for the extra year.

At this point I think the guy's top two priorities are security and money. That's why I think he'll take a sign and trade, regardless of location, as long as it's close to max.

At this point I think the guy's top two priorities are security and money. That's why I think he'll take a sign and trade, regardless of location, as long as it's close to max.

According to the local papers out there in Oakland, GS is willing to pay Lee close to $13 million his first year. They're really high on him, so that may be the best money he can get anywhere.

Max for Lee (5 yrs of service) is around $14.5 million (25% of $58.04m cap). With the 10.5% annual increases he is allowed under a Bird rights contract, a 6-yr max deal for him is worth around $113m.

Throw out the last year to compare what he can get as a free agent on a 5-yr deal, and that brings the total to $89.5m/5 yrs. His equivalent max with the 8% annual increases as an unrestricted free agent brings the 5-year total to $85 million.

Assume now that he won't get as much money as Boozer, so figure his first-year salary is around $13m. That makes the 5-yr free agent contract worth $76m, versus the Bird rights deal that brings it up to $80m over the first 5 years.

Looking at the numbers, the only thing the sign-and-trade does is give him the security of the extra year (which obviously includes nice money as well), but is it enough to willingly ship off to another completely dysfunctional team?

According to the local papers out there in Oakland, GS is willing to pay Lee close to $13 million his first year. They're really high on him, so that may be the best money he can get anywhere.

If they start at $13m and give him the max annual increases via a sign-and-trade, that makes it a 6-year deal worth about $101m.

Not terrible.

So Alan Hahn's July 6th tweet is starting to make sense. Supposedly this special's been in the works for a few months, meaning the past week's just been a buildup for it by the network. "We've all been played by ESPN."

Which is why I said is it any surprise that yesterday it was like OMG KNICKS!!! This just makes LeBron seem like an ass no matter what he does.

Simmons' article is pretty good. Its on the front of ESPN.com

I think it's a cop-out. Any super-competitive person would rather beat Dwyane Wade than play with him. Don't you want to find the Ali to your Frazier and have that rival pull the greatness out of you? That's why I'm holding out hope that LeBron signs with New York or Chicago (or stays in Cleveland), because he'd be saying, "Fine. Kobe, Dwight and Melo all have their teams. Wade and Bosh have their team. The Celtics are still there. Durant's team is coming. I'm gonna go out and build MY team, and I'm kicking all their asses." That's what Jordan would have done. Hell, that's what Kobe would have done.

In May, after the Cavs were ousted in the conference semifinals, I wrote that LeBron was facing one of the greatest sports decisions ever: "winning (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland) or a chance at immortality (New York)."

I never thought he would pick "HELP!"

This.

Multiple reports have the Lee for Randolph swap as being all but done, pending LeBron's decision.

Knicks get back Randolph, Turiaf, and Azubuike. For a guy the Knicks were going to let walk, this is a heist IMO - and one of epic proportions if Randolph develops into the player he is capable of becoming.

It will be nice to finally have some guys who can block a shot on this team.

Multiple reports have the Lee for Randolph swap as being all but done, pending LeBron's decision.

Knicks get back Randolph, Turiaf, and Azubuike. For a guy the Knicks were going to let walk, this is a heist IMO - and one of epic proportions if Randolph develops into the player he is capable of becoming.

Excellent move by Walsh BUT that's not a heist.

GS can't sign Lee outright and according to reports out of Oakland they absolutely LOVE Lee.

This is a win-win for both teams if Randolph works out.

I really can not properly exhibit how excited I am about this over the internet.

Excellent move by Walsh BUT that's not a heist.

GS can't sign Lee outright and according to reports out of Oakland they absolutely LOVE Lee.

This is a win-win for both teams if Randolph works out.

Any time you can add cheap, young talent in return for a player that is about to walk without having to take on any bad long-term contracts, it's a heist in my book.

I think it still leaves them nearly $14m under the cap as well...

I think an overlooked story is how there haven't really been any efforts to upgrade the 2. Which bodes well for how they feel about Walker. Unless they plan on bringing T-Mac back, but that doesn't look realistic at this point. And to tell you the truth I don't have a problem with it,

I seriously hate LeBron James, what an attention seeking overrated, overyhyped POS he is.

1 hour special for a signing or maybe even for an extension? Are you ****ing kidding me? Guy has won 0 championships! What a complete clown.

**** off to Miami and ride Dwyane Wade for some titles you ****ing turd.

I seriously hate LeBron James, what an attention seeking overrated, overyhyped POS he is.

1 hour special for a signing or maybe even for an extension? Are you ****ing kidding me? Guy has won 0 championships! What a complete clown.

I agree what an attention whore.

New rumor is that since Dolan called on Isiah to help in the LeBron recruitment that Dolan will bring back Isaiah to run the team in 2011 and even be the HC.
ESPN is reporting the same thing.

More proof Dolan couldn't run a paper route. Also, Michael Jordan hates Thomas. Jordan is James' idol.

Further, what does that say about Walsh and D'Antoni? WTF is Thomas, the Knicks' Billy Martin?

Jim Dolan is a walking talking asshat argument for a 100% inheritance tax.

ESPN is reporting the same thing.

More proof Dolan couldn't run a paper route. Also, Michael Jordan hates Thomas. Jordan is James' idol.

Further, what does that say about Walsh and D'Antoni? WTF is Thomas, the Knicks' Billy Martin?

Jim Dolan is a walking talking asshat argument for a 100% inheritance tax.

maybe the nets are behind the rumor ?

:cheers:

Archived