knicks free agency thread

Larz

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Chad Ford, Lee sign and trade is a done deal... he gets 6 yrs/$80m from Golden State. Knicks get Randolph, Turiaf, and Azubuilke.

Nice deal.

Knicks didn't do too bad for themselves. Amare is a premiere offensive PF who's allergic to defense, but that pretty much makes him a perfect fit for the system. They got some nice pieces back in the S&T as well.

I seriously hate LeBron James, what an attention seeking overrated, overyhyped POS he is.

1 hour special for a signing or maybe even for an extension? Are you ****ing kidding me? Guy has won 0 championships! What a complete clown.

**** off to Miami and ride Dwyane Wade for some titles you ****ing turd.

Enjoy watching us run rampid through the league and getting multiple titles :D

I wonder if Isiah will be back?

Knicks president to retire

By PETER VECSEY

Last Updated: 9:32 AM, July 9, 2010

Posted: 3:29 AM, July 9, 2010

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/walsh_legoner_TjAGAVCCQBtBSGHYhxfkSN#ixzz0tCDn8QBc

In the midst of suffering the unparalleled loss of LeBron James to the loathed Pat Riley and his Heat, the Knicks are experiencing additional upheaval and misery, an impeccable source informed The Post late last night.

According to someone in the know, team president Donnie Walsh "may possibly retire" within the week because of "health" and "a failure to land LeBron" -- a plan he sold to Cablevision owner James Dolan soon after signing a $15 million, three-year deal in April 2008.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/walsh_legoner_TjAGAVCCQBtBSGHYhxfkSN#ixzz0tCDgaQ6J

As big of a joke as the team became under Isiah, I think he gets a little bit of a bad rap. He inherited a team that Layden had run into the ground and under direction from Dolan, tried to patch it instead of rightfully tearing it down. His draft history, as a whole, is pretty good, but he also (foolishly) traded away enough unprotected lottery picks that he might have otherwise missed on.

That doesn't mean that I want him back, just that I think Layden actually made worse basketball decisions, beginning with the Ewing trade.

I just don't see how they could even bring back Walsh, but it doesn't look like he was able to continue on anyways. He looked awful at that press conference, like he was struggling just to make it. In the end, we're going to be debating for years whether or not this was truly his fault. Nobody can deny the situation he walked into and the contracts that he managed to clear out in a really short amount of time, but we'll also be wondering had things been different if he'd approached his drafts from a completely different angle. I understand that bringing in FA's prior to this year wasn't feasible, but that doesn't mean there weren't players to be had over all this time.

Next year's draft is going to be pretty weak. All signs point to it being the Harrison Barnes show, but after that it just seems like a lot of blah. I doubt we bring Chandler back, so I think we'll see some Curry/Chandler-deal rumors throughout the year once we get closer to the break...but other than that I think we'll push for one of the lower seeds in the East and maintain our cap room for the right opportunity.

I have no idea if this offseason can even be considered a failure. If Ridnour happens, that's a haul of Ama're/Randolph/Ridnour. Which is actually a really good acquisition of starting players in one offseason, but the problem is that wasn't the goal and none of them are Lebron.

I just don't see how they could even bring back Walsh, but it doesn't look like he was able to continue on anyways. He looked awful at that press conference, like he was struggling just to make it. In the end, we're going to be debating for years whether or not this was truly his fault. Nobody can deny the situation he walked into and the contracts that he managed to clear out in a really short amount of time, but we'll also be wondering had things been different if he'd approached his drafts from a completely different angle. I understand that bringing in guys prior to this year wasn't feasible, but that doesn't mean there weren't players to be had over all this time.

Next year's draft is going to be pretty weak. All signs point to it being the Harrison Barnes show, but after that it just seems like a lot of blah. I doubt we bring Chandler back, so I think we'll see some Curry/Chandler-deal rumors throughout the year once we get closer to the break...but other than that I think we'll push for one of the lower seeds in the East and maintain our cap room for the right opportunity.

I have no idea if this offseason can even be considered a failure. If Ridnour happens, that's a haul of Ama're/Randolph/Ridnour. Which is actually a really good acquisition of starting players in one offseason, but the problem is that wasn't the goal and none of them are Lebron.

I don't see how the Knicks offseason isn't deemed a FAILURE. Lebron has been the goal for 2yrs. Not getting him alone is a FAILRUE. You loss DAvid Lee but picked up Amare...they both have the same numbers, but one is injury prone.FAILURE. Ridnour would be nice to run the point and that seems to be the guy Amare wants so that would be a nice addition.

The knicks are such a horrible organziation..you guys trade the one identifyable piece of your franchise away. 21ppg. 12 rpg and would've cost you way less than Amare.

Lee is the Wayne Chrebet of the Knicks... nice player, good guy to root for, but completely overrated.

- He's not physically dominant as a 4 or a 5

- His defense makes Amar'e look like Bill Russell in comparison (0.5 bpg?!)

- For as good of a rebounder as he is, he doesn't do a great job of boxing out

- He has probably peaked as a player

I'll take Amar'e and the pieces they picked up from Golden State and not look back.

You loss DAvid Lee but picked up Amare...they both have the same numbers, but one is injury prone.FAILURE.

Meh, right about now is when I'd take the time to explain to you the differences between Lee and Ama're, because it's quite obvious through your posts that you haven't seen much Knick ball over the past few years and aren't familiar with Lee's game at all; but it's pretty obvious why you're posting right now and though I may have the time today, I certainly do not have the inclination to waste my time.

- He's not physically dominant as a 4 or a 5

- His defense makes Amar'e look like Bill Russell in comparison (0.5 bpg?!)

- For as good of a rebounder as he is, he doesn't do a great job of boxing out

- He has probably peaked as a player

It was just non-stop small ball, every night, because of his complete inability to do anything inside against anyone. Effing Andrew Bogut would come to town and the mentality would be, "well we're ****ed for the night." I haven't spoken to one person who isn't ecstatic about the switch. Nice player, but I've seen enough. Switching him out for probably the best offensive big man in traffic in the league? No-brainer.

Meh, right about now is when I'd take the time to explain to you the differences between Lee and Ama're, because it's quite obvious through your posts that you haven't seen much Knick ball over the past few years and aren't familiar with Lee's game at all; but it's pretty obvious why you're posting right now and though I may have the time today, I certainly do not have the inclination to waste my time.

What i do know is the guy is a blue collar player that battles for boards and managed score 21 ppg with trash around him. He was the ONLY identity that your franchise had and you gave him away. I think Amare is a superb finisher under the basket but NO ONE was gonna give him 5yr 100 mil. and have him play no defense. Another bad contract for the NY knicks.

It was just non-stop small ball, every night, because of his complete inability to do anything inside against anyone. Effing Andrew Bogut would come to town and the mentality would be, "well we're ****ed for the night." I haven't spoken to one person who isn't ecstatic about the switch. Nice player, but I've seen enough. Switching him out for probably the best offensive big man in traffic in the league? No-brainer.

But, he put up 20 and 11 last year! He rulz!

What i do know is the guy is a blue collar player that battles for boards and managed score 21 ppg with trash around him. He was the ONLY identity that your franchise had and you gave him away. I think Amare is a superb finisher under the basket but NO ONE was gonna give him 5yr 100 mil. and have him play no defense. Another bad contract for the NY knicks.

This post should be entitled "Proof that my limited knowledge of NBA basketball comes strictly from box scores and SportsCenter."

But, he put up 20 and 11 last year! He rulz!

I'm going to miss Lee. I think he was a throwback Knick and something that through everything, had at least provided us with something to watch over the past two seasons as Donnie was clearing out cap room. He'll likely get applauded every time he visits the Garden and I don't think there's a fan out there who doesn't appreciate the work he brought to the court every night. I also think it's pretty telling that you really haven't heard any argument presented by any writer or fan on how his stats may have been a product of the system. They weren't. But his shortcomings on the court were that obvious and this year he finally hit the age where it was obvious that he won't overcome them.

That being said, we all know that he wasn't the answer, or the right way to start the foundation. The Knicks couldn't under any circumstances give him an $80 million deal. And Randolph's upside at this point is just higher than his, not to mention the cap flexibility it provides still with Abuzikie coming off the books and Turiaf having a team option.

Ok your right David Lee is a scrub. No worries he's with GOlden State now.

Sounds like your blaming David Lee, your only good player, for the rest of your squads shortcommings.

No, I am stating that I would not give David Lee, at the age of 27, a 6-year, $80 million contract.

He is what he is, which is a nice complementary player, who can rebound and should be a 3rd option on offense.

Again, I'll take Amar'e and Randolph, Turiaf, and Abuzikie over him any day.

"Trash" is the reason for Lee's production, but you're using the word in the wrong context. The stuff about "blue collar" and "identity" are such standard white-basketball-jones platitudes that they barely merit contempt.

I'm going to miss Lee. I think he was a throwback Knick and something that through everything, had at least provided us with something to watch over the past two seasons as Donnie was clearing out cap room. He'll likely get applauded every time he visits the Garden and I don't think there's a fan out there who doesn't appreciate the work he brought to the court every night. I also think it's pretty telling that you really haven't heard any argument presented by any writer or fan on how his stats may have been a product of the system. They weren't. But his shortcomings on the court were that obvious and this year he finally hit the age where it was obvious that he won't overcome them.

Don't take my criticisms as being unappreciative of Lee, as he was one of the very few reasons to bother watching the last couple of years. I think he'll put up similar numbers in Golden State, but the bottom line is that his game is not worth what he's getting paid given the Knicks situations, as he is not someone to build around... he's a very good complementary player who doesn't stand to improve much at this point in his career.

That being said, we all know that he wasn't the answer, or the right way to start the foundation. The Knicks couldn't under any circumstances give him an $80 million deal. And Randolph's upside at this point is just higher than his, not to mention the cap flexibility it provides still with Abuzikie coming off the books and Turiaf having a team option.

Not to mention all 3 guys coming over providing help on the defensive end...

...the bottom line is that his game is not worth what he's getting paid given the Knicks situations, as he is not someone to build around... he's a very good complementary player who doesn't stand to improve much at this point in his career.

It really doesn't need to be explained much more than this. Sums it up perfectly.

Enjoy watching us run rampid through the league and getting multiple titles :D

The knicks are such a horrible organziation..you guys trade the one identifyable piece of your franchise away. 21ppg. 12 rpg and would've cost you way less than Amare.

Rampant.

I don't see how the Knicks offseason isn't deemed a FAILURE. Lebron has been the goal for 2yrs. Not getting him alone is a FAILRUE. You loss DAvid Lee but picked up Amare...they both have the same numbers, but one is injury prone.FAILURE. Ridnour would be nice to run the point and that seems to be the guy Amare wants so that would be a nice addition.

Ok your right David Lee is a scrub. No worries he's with GOlden State now.

Sounds like your blaming David Lee, your only good player, for the rest of your squads shortcommings.

Why are you even in this thread?

You're not a Heat fan and you only watch them when they're good.

You've come out of the woodwork now with this signing but you didn't say a damn thing all offseason.

You can take the biggest crap you can on Knick fans now that you're finally paying attention to the Heat again, but guess what? It will still be way smaller than the crap James Dolan has taken on the Knick fanbase this decade.

You're trying to stab a dead man, you fool.

You've come out of the woodwork now with this signing but you didn't say a damn thing all offseason.

It's actually fascinating. It's almost impressive that he's spending his day on a Jets board trying to crap on Knick fans by studying David Lee's stats on ESPN and Wikipedia. It strikes me as a tremendous waste of time, but the effort's commendable. Obvious to the trained eye, but commendable nonetheless.

It's actually fascinating. It's almost impressive that he's spending his day on a Jets board trying to crap on Knick fans by studying David Lee's stats on ESPN and Wikipedia. It strikes me as a tremendous waste of time, but the effort's commendable. Obvious to the trained eye, but commendable nonetheless.

I could at least begin to respect his argument if he tried to bring PER, RB%, or Win Shares into the mix.

Why are you even in this thread?

You're not a Heat fan and you only watch them when they're good.

You can take the biggest crap you can on Knick fans now that you're finally paying attention to the Heat again, but guess what? It will still be way smaller than the crap James Dolan has taken on the Knick fanbase this decade.

You're trying to stab a dead man, you fool.

I forgot we hang out and you know me...good call I hate the Heat. I'm in this thread because of the LeBron james "Decision". Finaly, yea i like taking crap on Knicks fans and i know for a fact they wouldn't hesitate to take a giant steaming crap on me if they acquired Lebron. So deal with it.

I post on Jetnation more than any other Message Board...like you've never seen me here. I actually like it here.

He doesn't need to know you personally, he's just playing the odds since his description fits 97.2% of Miami Heat "fans".

LOL see this where you think the whole "fans don't show up" thing bothers me and it doesn't. I can't control what everyone else does but i do go to Marlin games, Heat games, Fins games of course, []__[] games, and believe it or not Panther games (i live 10 mins. from bank atlantic center and there are always fine ladies at the games.) So i do my part and enjoy it. You guys are obviously upset today and you have good reason to be. You guys only get pissy like this when things arn't going your sports teams way. When i have convos about the Jets with you guys and the Jets are winning i get good conversation outta ya, when they're losing you got back to being pissy.

Archived