knicks free agency thread

Larz

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like taking crap on Knicks fans and i know for a fact they wouldn't hesitate to take a giant steaming crap on me if they acquired Lebron. So deal with it.

Yes, because after 11 years of absolute hell, the first thing on our mind after seeing some light at the end of the tunnel would have been finding some schmuck fair-weather fan on the internet from Florida and bragging to him about how maybe the dark ages are over. Yeah, right. Brilliant logic there.

You're trash dude. Really, just trash.

I root for the Jets, Mets, Knicks, and Islanders... that explains my cheery personality.

Effin' A Cotton. On a semi-related note my best friend is blaming Lee to the Yanks and Lebron not to the Knicks in a span of 24 hours on the fact that I went out with a chick that wasn't Jewish last night.

Yes, because after 11 years of absolute hell, the first thing on our mind after seeing some light at the end of the tunnel would have been finding some schmuck fair-weather fan on the internet from Florida and bragging to him about how maybe the dark ages are over. Yeah, right. Brilliant logic there.

You're trash dude. Really, just trash.

thats awesome. A dolphin,Marlin,Heat and panther fan is fairweather and bangwagoner....get a clue kid. Don't take this whole debacle out on me...protest Jim Dolan and Donnie.

As reportedly in the works, if the Knicks can move Al Harrington to Orlando for their expiring $6.84m trade exception (Turkoglu) and maybe even a pick, that would be quite sweet.

Unfortunately, reports are that Otis Smith is going to let it expire, which would be idiotic, since they basically gave away Turkoglu for nothing, when they could've at least done a S&T with the Knicks for Duhon instead of dipping into their MLE.

Good evaluation of the Randolph deal from RealGM. Great points on Turiaf.

After much speculation and hand wringing, the deal is finally done. No, this one is not about a King, leisure suits, or championships. Rather, two teams that haven’t made the playoffs more than twice in the last decade made a deal on Thursday that will substantially change the future of both franchises in the immediate as well as the long-term.

As it looks right now, the Golden State Warriors traded Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna Azubuike for a signed and traded David Lee.

There are a few different angles on it, so let’s get down to business.

For the Knicks, they are getting back a combination of potential and current production for a guy they were going to let go anyway.

Randolph will be the most important player as far as New York goes, and his development is heavily clouded in uncertainty right now. Every once in a while we saw a flash of absolutely amazing play from Randolph, whether it was a short term thing like an amazing block with a sprint down for a dunk or a game where he put it all together. One of his biggest challenges will be deciding what his game is as a player since he has no bread and butter. He has the athletic ability and tools to be good at a wide variety of things, yet is the master of none for now.

If I’m Mike D’Antoni and the Knicks, I would be working with him on a reliable mid-range jumper on the offensive end and weak-side shot blocking on the defensive end: not the perfect complement for Amare that way, yet they are the parts of his skill-set that Randolph can get up to speed the quickest so he can contribute out there.

On the other hand, I can tell Knicks fans exactly what they are getting from Turiaf and Azubuike.

Azubuike is best as an effort rotation guy- he has the tools to be a very good defender and could thrive in a system where he only shoots open looks when the defense sags, sort of like a rotation player version of Trevor Ariza’s role on the 2008-09 Lakers team.

Turiaf is a strange fit in D’Antoni’s system, but is a very good defender and rebounder while also being a simply awesome teammate. This will come up more later, but there is no one more fun to have on the sidelines and the locker room than Turiaf, and he can be a valued contributor on the court as well.

The other legacy of this trade will be if and how it affects the Knicks going forward as it pertains to the cap. While New York was likely to lose Lee anyway, both Randolph and Turiaf will be on the books for 2011-12 barring the unforeseen. While their total amount is a little over $6 million, we learned today that a little can go a long way when it comes to major free agents. I’m guessing it will be worth it considering both guys are on reasonable contracts right now and will contribute, but it is a point that must be mentioned.

Grade for the New York: B

For the Warriors, let’s start out with this: I like David Lee. He’s not a bad player, seems to play hard and appears to be a good guy. He is also the best player in this trade, as he should be in a 3-for-1. The problem here is that Golden State is paying him $13 million dollars a year and he is not even the second-best player on a team that could make the Conference Finals, which should be the measure of a $13M man in the current CBA, much less the worse one for players coming down the pike in 2011.

Unless the team moves both Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis for expiring scrap (and they shouldn’t now), they have likely committed to a core of Stephen Curry, Ellis, Biedrins, and Lee for the next 3-4 years with zero cap flexibility until Steph Curry comes up for an extension in 2013.

What makes this move so depressing is that those four as the best players on a team likely does not even put the Warriors in the playoffs next year, much less down the line when teams like Sacramento gel and still have money to spend and the older teams on the list still haven’t declined enough for Golden State to overtake them.

At the beginning of the off-season, I was terrified the Warriors would blow the team up (minus Curry) for the new ownership, and this result is even worse than that because the team is nearly destined to be in the “76ers Zone,” a term I use to describe teams that are too good to get lucky in the lottery and add major talent but not good enough to make any sort of impact in terms of the playoffs. Philly was in this bind for a long, long time and tried to get out of it by overpaying Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand. Worked out well.

One vision for this team would have been to get it to the new owner with a core of Curry, Randolph, Udoh (I guess), Turiaf, and Buike if he wanted to come for cheap. That team would have cost around $14M altogether and had the flexibility to either pull a Camby-esque deal or actually get a free agent. It also would have allowed the team to be patient and both stick it to teams while they had cap space a la Oklahoma City and wait for the right fits to come along (like OKC again or Portland). Alas, management has decided to go in a different direction.

Beyond that, the Warriors depth was what made this team work last year, to the extent that it did. While both Azubuike and Randolph were hurt for much of the season, their versatility and energy made the team hard to defend and the three players who left in this deal included two of the three on the team that were actually good defenders and Randolph who has potential on that end due to his length and energy.

They replaced those guys with David Lee who can spell defense, but hasn’t played a lick of it in at least the last six seasons. One remarkable thing about Lee is that I attended his best performance of last year (at Oracle where he dropped 37/20/10): the Knicks lost that game by 11 and Monta, Biedrins, and Randolph all did not play that night.

There is a distinct chance that this works out for Golden State, especially if they are willing to be more conventional and play Lee and Biedrins together for periods of time (and I’m sure we’ll see lots of Lee and Udoh as well). I just can’t shake the feeling that it was a gigantic mistake to take three guys on reasonable contracts who all made sense with a long-term vision of the team to overpay the ever-loving hell out of a single player who is good, but not great, on the offensive side and abysmal defensively. I hope I’m wrong with every fiber of my being.

Grade for Golden State: D+

As a final note, there is also some personal anguish here because as someone who covered the Warriors for much of last year, I saw what these guys, particularly Ronny Turiaf bring to the table off the court. We see a ton of media pub for the guys who are squeaky wheels or prima donnas, especially when they are more notable off the court. I did not get to spend much time with Randolph because he was hurt so much, but Kelenna and Ronny were both class acts that were great with the media, including yours truly while more importantly being great teammates. Seeing Turiaf interact with Curry was one of the highlights of my Warriors’ locker room visits and wish all three former Warriors the absolute best of luck going forward. Take care, fellas.

Good evaluation of the Randolph deal from RealGM. Great points on Turiaf.

The minor complaint about being on the hook for Turiaf (player option) and Randolph (team option) is barely worth mentioning IMO... the combined cost is very reasonable for two guys who are, at worst, quality rotation players with size.

The minor complaint about being on the hook for Turiaf (player option) and Randolph (team option) is barely worth mentioning IMO...

Worth mentioning nonetheless. Depending on the CBA (this has become my least favorite phrase in the English language over the course of the past year), there's a nonzero chance that Turiaf's second year makes the whole deal a net loss as compared to just letting Lee go if Randolph doesn't put it together. Pretty close to zero, but it's not like we're working with any sort of margin for error anymore.

Worth mentioning nonetheless. Depending on the CBA (this has become my least favorite phrase in the English language over the course of the past year), there's a nonzero chance that Turiaf's second year makes the whole deal a net loss as compared to just letting Lee go if Randolph doesn't put it together. Pretty close to zero, but it's not like we're working with any sort of margin for error anymore.

True... all the more reason I'd love to see them get that TPE from Orlando for Harrington.

PG: Felton / Douglas

SG: Walker/ Chandy/ Azubuike

SF: Gallinari / Chandler

PF: Randolph / Turiaf

C: Amare / Curry

That's actually an intriguing starting 5. Really happy that it looks like they're committed to Walker becoming a starter this year. The kid can ball.

WE CAN BUILD ON THIS.

Great signing..Walt Frazier Lite..smart playmaker, very high BBall IQ..floor general, not a huge PG scorer, but does everything else a PG should do along with great ballhawk skills..

Knicks agree to 3-year, $25 million contract with Raymond Felton

The New York Knicks have quickly bounced back from the heartache LeBron James’ defection to Miami caused by dipping back into the most talent-laden free agent pool in NBA history.

On the heels of finalizing a sign-and-trade deal that shipped All-Star power forward/center David Lee to the Golden State Warriors for Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Randolph and Ronny Turiaf, Knicks President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh dispelled rumors of his impending retirement and went about the task of upgrading the engine of head coach Mike D’Antoni’s offense.

According to NYDailyNews.com, the Knicks have reached an agreement in principle with Charlotte Bobcats unrestricted free agent point guard Raymond Felton. The contract is believed to be a three-year deal worth approximately $25 million.

Felton, the fifth overall selection in the 2005 NBA Draft, averaged 12.1 points, 5.6 assists and 1.5 steals per game for the Bobcats last season and, in five seasons as Charlotte’s starting point guard, Felton has posted 13.3 points, 6.4 assists and 1.4 steals per contest.

Equally as important though is the fact that Felton has proven to be extremely durable since he entered the league, appearing in at least 78 games in each of the past five years.

In addition to being an upgrade over former Knicks point man Chris Duhon, who signed as a free agent with the Orlando Magic recently, Felton will be a nice complement to small forward Danilo Gallinari and newly signed power forward Amar’e Stoudemire.

While far from being a playmaker/scoring threat of Steve Nash’s caliber, Felton is more than capable of finding Gallinari for a fair share of open looks and Stoudemire for a bountiful of thunderous dunks while penetrating to the basket to create his own offense in D’Antoni’s high-scoring system.

Great signing..Walt Frazier Lite..smart playmaker, very high BBall IQ..floor general, not a huge PG scorer, but does everything else a PG should do along with great ballhawk skills..

Knicks agree to 3-year, $25 million contract with Raymond Felton

The New York Knicks have quickly bounced back from the heartache LeBron James

Chris Mullin? Allen Houston? All right, possible, sensible baggage free potential GMs? That would make sense.

But at MSG those who don't remember the past are condemned to relive it. Hopefully without sexual abuse multimillion dollar settlements. But don't hold your breath for any division titles.

I wouldn't trust Isiah Thomas with a coffee order. In 5 years the Knicks never won a playoff game, so how anyone could characterize his tenure as successful is beyond me. Unless this is bizarro world where giving up lottery picks for overpaid malcontents is now called "success".

Walsh: I'd consider Isiah for GM

By Chris Broussard

ESPN The Magazine

Archive

ny_a_thomaswalsh_576.jpgAP Photo/Darron CummingsDonnie Walsh, who teamed with Isiah in Indiana, says he'd talk to Thomas about a Knicks' GM job.

A reunion between Isiah Thomas and the New York Knicks is possible, according to Donnie Walsh.

Walsh, the Knicks' president, said Thomas will be on his list of candidates if he is given the go-ahead to hire a general manager.

"With other people, yes, Isiah would be under consideration from me," Walsh said in a telephone interview Saturday. "But that's a situation the owner would have to be involved in."

Walsh said he hasn't hired a general manager for financial reasons. If Knicks owner James Dolan allows it, he said he will eventually do so. Walsh, 69, also said reports of his imminent retirement are "totally off-base" and that he has no plans to step down.

There is little question that Dolan would be willing to consider rehiring Thomas, who served as the club's president and eventually head coach for 4

Thomas IMHO is a street hustler and is just not to be trusted..

How dare you speak so ill of street hustlers! Street hustlers at least have on occasion been known to have some success. As others have noted the only explanation is Thomas possesses photographs of James Dolan cavorting with not just any farm animals, but ugly male farm animals.

Felton's a chucker. Still, had to be done and doesn't hurt too much since it sounds like it is in fact a two-year deal. And, as above, it goes without saying that between Felton and the Russian stiff we need to move Turiaf like yesterday.

Felton's a chucker. Still, had to be done and doesn't hurt too much since it sounds like it is in fact a two-year deal. And, as above, it goes without saying that between Felton and the Russian stiff we need to move Turiaf like yesterday.

Turiaf's prob going to be here to start the year, Chandler not so much now.

Archived