Chris Henry had brain damage

Matt39

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-henry-braindamage

ESPN.com is reporting that researchers say late Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry had a form of degenerative brain damage caused by multiple hits to the head.

Dr. Julian Bailes, director of the Brain Injury Research Institute at West Virginia University, told ESPN.com that chronic traumatic encephalopathy has been found in multiple areas of Henry

Well in that case, I take a lot of what I said about him being a criminal back. The acts that he did frequently showed poor judgment and were criminal behavior, but seeing as to the condition he had he doesn't deserve blame for it. Rather, he needed treatment instead.

I would hope that NFL players are now required, at least once a year, to have full physicals including brain scans to see any potential problems, at the NFL's expense. Go on Goodell, do something that will actually help the players safety, this is a violent sport and I for one believe this is necessary and it is ridiculous that it hasn't been done up to now.

While I agree with players getting theirs because of the violent nature of the sport...what the fack does that have to do with this situation. He was killed during an off the field domestic dispute.

The argument could easily be made that his behavior off the field was affected by the injuries he suffered on it.

The argument could easily be made that his behavior off the field was affected by the injuries he suffered on it.

100% true. It could also be argued that his injuries were not suffered while playing for the Bengals. Could have happened in college, high school, or away from football entirely. Maybe he grew up in a rough area and got beat up all the time on the way to school as a kid. The likelihood certainly is great that they were from football, but when they occurred is anyone's guess.

100% true. It could also be argued that his injuries were not suffered while playing for the Bengals. Could have happened in college, high school, or away from football entirely. Maybe he grew up in a rough area and got beat up all the time on the way to school as a kid. The likelihood certainly is great that they were from football, but when they occurred is anyone's guess.

....then why don't all receivers have off field issues? my guess is that Larry Fitzgerald has been hit in the head as much, if not more, and he travels around the world as a good will embassador. Also, wasn't he allegedly turning his life around? Whatever. Considering the circumstances, sounds like the makings of a lawsuit to me.

My incredibly uneducated guess is that yah, he had brain damage and it probably did not have as much to do with his being an idiot as the other factors in his life.

....then why don't all receivers have off field issues?

The brain is tricky. Some parts of the brain get affected more than others. Some brain injuries don't show their full effects until later in life (SEE: Ali), some affect the brain almost immediately.

This is why the NFL is spending a good amount of time and money to investigate head injuries. No longer can we say someone just "got his bell rung", put 2 fingers in front of him, and say "OK, he's good to go".

....then why don't all receivers have off field issues? my guess is that Larry Fitzgerald has been hit in the head as much, if not more, and he travels around the world as a good will embassador. Also, wasn't he allegedly turning his life around? Whatever. Considering the circumstances, sounds like the makings of a lawsuit to me.

My incredibly uneducated guess is that yah, he had brain damage and it probably did not have as much to do with his being an idiot as the other factors in his life.

Fitzgerald beat up his girlfriend 2 years ago

Meh. Some people have body parts that are more fragile and susceptible to injury than do other people. This is news?

Fitzgerald beat up his girlfriend 2 years ago

Didn't he (allegedly) rip out a fistful of hair out of her head, or something like that?

For all you know, this is due to undetected steroid usage as much as any brain damage resulting from a football hit. Some of these guys are just scumbags. Brain damage is unlikely to help that, but getting hit by Kerry Rhodes's manpurse isn't going to change an otherwise gentle person into a wife-beater.

Meh. Some people have body parts that are more fragile and susceptible to injury than do other people. This is news?

Didn't he (allegedly) rip out a fistful of hair out of her head, or something like that?

For all you know, this is due to undetected steroid usage as much as any brain damage resulting from a football hit. Some of these guys are just scumbags. Brain damage is unlikely to help that, but getting hit by Kerry Rhodes's manpurse isn't going to change an otherwise gentle person into a wife-beater.

Who knows....just wanted to point out Fitz doesnt have the cyrstal clear past that is protrayed by the media.

While I agree with players getting theirs because of the violent nature of the sport...what the fack does that have to do with this situation. He was killed during an off the field domestic dispute.

It's more of a general statement rather than to the specific case at hand. We're talking about a guy who'd never been diagnosed with a concussion once throughout his career sitting with brain damage. That says something, especially to the 'he's got 3 years left on his deal' picketers.

The brain is tricky. Some parts of the brain get affected more than others. Some brain injuries don't show their full effects until later in life (SEE: Ali), some affect the brain almost immediately.

This is why the NFL is spending a good amount of time and money to investigate head injuries. No longer can we say someone just "got his bell rung", put 2 fingers in front of him, and say "OK, he's good to go".

This isn't why. It's NFL PR. IMO, they could easily reduce head injuries by changing the helmets around. They love that hard plastic crack though.

I would hope that NFL players are now required, at least once a year, to have full physicals including brain scans to see any potential problems, at the NFL's expense. Go on Goodell, do something that will actually help the players safety, this is a violent sport and I for one believe this is necessary and it is ridiculous that it hasn't been done up to now.

it's my understanding that this condition can only be detected conclusively post-mortem.

They cut the brain up into slices, dye em, and put em under a microscope.

There is no test they can run that will identify this type of damage while the person is still alive.

People think there is some kind of big bubble helmet or magic test that can help the situation. This is untrue. There is no better helmet.

Medical science's understanding of the human brain is downright primitive.

A further truth there is probably no easy rule change to the sport that will alleviate the conditions that cause the problem. The only true preventative measure is to make it flag football.

my prediction: Enjoy NFL football in it's current form, the next generation will see a far different product. If they even care. It might just go the way of boxing... or dogfighting. Hundreds of years from now people will look back and be shocked that we let people do this to themselves for entertainment.

I've been obsessed with NFL Football for the better part of my life. The more I learn about it the less I love it.

it's my understanding that this condition can only be detected conclusively post-mortem.

There is no test they can run that will identify this type of damage while the person is still alive.

People think there is some kind of big bubble helmet or magic test that can help the situation. This is untrue. There is no better helmet.

A further truth there is probably no easy rule change to the sport that will alleviate the conditions that cause the problem. The only true preventative measure is to make it flag football.

my prediction: Enjoy NFL football in it's current form, the next generation will see a far different product. If they even care. It might just go the way of boxing... or dogfighting. Hundreds of years from now people will look back and be shocked that we let people do this to themselves for entertainment.

I've been obsessed with NFL Football for the better part of my life. The more I learn about it the less I love it.

I don't think they could eliminate the injuries, but I'm fairly certain they could significantly reduce them. Anything that slows down the head more gradually will help. Hell, Steve Young said he'd retire before wearing the Kelso Great Gazoo helmet because it looked too geeky. It will be a different product and that's my point. It already is a different product and we all whine about it.

Well then let's just hope medical science continues to improve and if we get better technology and methods it translates to improved health and safety for these players, as well as people in general.

Thanks for the post, I don't know much about these tests so I wasn't aware that it was only possibly post-mortem. I tend to believe that medical science is very advanced and virtually anything can be detected these days. I generally dislike doctors and avoid them, but I am getting older so I may be forced to start. So far all my injuries generally heal within a day and I don't suffer serious injuries...despite the best efforts of people at times haha.

Yes, that's a very real possibility. Its not football, but a few years ago when Chris Benoit killed himself, his wife, and his son, some people from WVU took his brain, inspected it, and determined from all the years of abuse he had the brain of a 85-year-old alzheimer's patient. He also had a form of dementia. And thats just Pro Wrestling, in football some of them use their heads as weapons on every play.

I don't think they could eliminate the injuries, but I'm fairly certain they could significantly reduce them. Anything that slows down the head more gradually will help. Hell, Steve Young said he'd retire before wearing the Kelso Great Gazoo helmet because it looked too geeky. It will be a different product and that's my point. It already is a different product and we all whine about it.

Won't help for long. Players are getting bigger/stronger/faster at a more rapid pace than medical science can improve helmets. Even if they make a 50% leap in protection tomorrow, it's probable that in another decade, the hits will be that much harder and we'll be no better off than we are today.

Hate to say it, but I think Bit's right. Might take a decade or two for enough incontrovertable evidence to pile up, but eventually, something drastic is going to have to change.

Want to know how much the NFL has already changed? Think back to the 70s when guys like 'Tombstone' Jackson made a living smacking the crap out of people's heads.

keep this in mind the next time we call a player "greedy" for wanting more money.

Which is why if the NFLPA wants to strike, it should strike about pensions vesting way earlier and improvements to long-term health care of retirees. Instead these imbeciles want to argue baout simply higher salaries. DOn't blame anyone for wanting to get paid more, but the NFLPA has to understand that a collision sport means their membership is going to experience tramatic health problems after they retire. And right now it's barely being addressed. Picture Jim Otto, Darryl Stingley or Mike Webster. Or recall that John Unitas was blackballed from coaching and until his death because he sued the NFL due to his right arm being useless from the pounding he took. Think of that; one of the greatest players in the game's history had to sign autographs lefthanded and was treated like a pariah by the NFL he helped popularize.

Well in that case, I take a lot of what I said about him being a criminal back. The acts that he did frequently showed poor judgment and were criminal behavior, but seeing as to the condition he had he doesn't deserve blame for it. Rather, he needed treatment instead.

What can be done to treat brain damage? Not much, and the main reason for that is brain damage is generally discovered after the person is dead--- during the autopsy.

Repeated concussions cause permanent brain damage, but there are no diagnostic tests to measure it while the person is still alive. It is always and only found after the person is dead and the brain is dissected.

Not everybody gets the same injuries, issues, problems, etc.... You do know that, right? It is not a rule that all Wide Receiver's must have this kind of injury occur to them, just as it's not a rule that all professional athletes must buy 16 cars, 4 houses and cheat on their wives.

Archived