Forshadowing at its Finest?

Jbro22

http://b.globe.com/9TA3VR

11,000 gallons of jet fuel spills in Foxborough

I-95 closed after truck rolls over

By Alex Katz, Globe Correspondent | June 28, 2010

A portion of Interstate 95 southbound was shut down for several hours yesterday as a hazardous materials crew tried to clean up a massive fuel spill after a tanker truck rolled over in Foxborough, delaying traffic for most of the day.

The truck, a 2006 FrueHauf tanker carrying 11,000 gallons of jet fuel en route to T.F. Green International Airport in Warwick, R.I., lost all of its cargo in the rollover, which eventually spilled onto the roadway.

The details of the accident were under investigation, but officials confirmed it was a single-vehicle accident.

“This was a very significant accident,’’ State Police Sergeant Matthew Murray said.

The truck driver, Richard Williams of Manchester, N.H., suffered minor injuries and was taken to Rhode Island Hospital. Williams, 36, was treated and released, hospital officials said.

No charges had been filed in the accident, according to State Police.

Collaborating with emergency response technicians from the Department of Environmental Protection, firefighters were able to contain the spill using foam, dry ice, and other substances, according to Murray.

C. White & Son, the petroleum transport company that owns the tanker, hired a private environmental recovery crew to help with the cleanup process, said Ed Coletta, a spokesman for the DEP.

“The trucking company is the responsible party, and they have done what they had to,’’ he said.

A man who answered the phone at C. White & Son’s Connecticut office declined to comment.

The recovery process, which Coletta said could take up to three days, includes vacuuming the spilled fuel, treating the contaminated soil, and cleaning the localized drainage systems nearby.

The DEP also set up a mobile laboratory on the scene that monitors the air in order to ensure the safety of local residents.

Police reopened the left and middle lanes on I-95 early yesterday afternoon.

By 7:20 p.m., all lanes and ramps were open, State Police said last night.

Murray said traffic was not expected to be significantly affected for today’s commute as crews continue to clean up.

Alex Katz can be reached at akatz@globe.com. dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

Is this thread worthy? **** I don't know, its the off season. And for those who haven't picked up yet, I'm talking about December 6th. Jets @ Patriots.

Archived