NYPD Douche files Counter Suit against Sean Bell's Estate

Vudu

Adding insult to injury, yeah let me pump a gazillion bullets in you, then sue your estate. 4 years later and he just realizes he's 'injured':

A New York police officer involved in 2006 shooting death of unarmed Sean Bell has filed a countersuit against Bell's estate claiming that he was injured by the husband-to-be before his death.

Officer Michael Carey filed the suit in a Brooklyn federal court last week and says that he “suffered severe leg injuries” after an intoxicated Bell got behind the wheel of a car after leaving his bachelor party on his wedding day.

According to Carey his leg was injured when Bell crashed into his vehicle before the officer got out and fired a shot.

Bell who was unarmed was gunned down in a barrage of fifty bullets that were sprayed into his vehicle.

Officers Michael Oliver, Marc Cooper and Gescard Isnora were acquitted in 2008 of manslaughter, assault and reckless endangerment charges even though police say that Oliver stopped to reload his weapon, firing 31 of the 50 shots that filled the vehicle.

Officer Carey's countersuit comes after Bell's fianc

F'ing NYPD. If I wanted to I could concentrate solely on the NYPD and come out with more horrible **** from the department than actual good things.

They're more criminal minded than the people that they chase. This is why we have Shawn Bell situations. Much deeper than someones skin color, these guys just think that they can do what they want because they all have each others back and they always have the "benefit of the doubt" while the people are guilty until proven innocent (and thats if you got a good lawyer or not, otherwise you're just guilty).

I was reading not to long ago how a NYPD Police officer killed some people while drunk driving and the police officers waited 7 HOURS before giving him a breathalyzer. Talk about teamwork :cheers:.

Guys, some of you got to ease up on the police. Yeah, some are bad apples, just like in any other profession. But, for the most part, thank god they're out there protecting our asses.

There are a zillion stories out there of good police work (beyond their job description) that never get published. It's too bad there's a rush to judgement that "all" PO's are scum because every once in awhile a negative story gets the public eye.

The NYPD killed more civilians per year under Dinkins than under Giuliani and the Blacks never said a word. Its all politics.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/12/05/crime.actor.reut/

I remember here in LA around 10 years ago someone called the LAPD saying a Halloween party in the neighborhood was too noisy. A black cop shows up to what turns out to be a costume party. A Black tv actor dressed as a gangster sees the cop and pulls out a fake gun and points it at him, thinking the cop was a party goer dressed as a cop. So the cop shoots him dead. Autopsy said he was shot in the back.

Everyone here in LA knew if the cop was white there was going to be another riot and if he was black nothing would happen. Everyone went inside and locked the doors and got ready for a riot. The next day it came out the cop who shot the black guy was black. After that the whole thing disappears from the news. Blacks don't care if a black cop shoots a black guy.

Here in LA we all knew that if the cop was white we would be in for another round of lectures about how whites think all blacks are criminals and thats why this happened.

The NYPD killed more civilians per year under Dinkins than under Giuliani and the Blacks never said a word. Its all politics.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/12/05/crime.actor.reut/

I remember here in LA around 10 years ago someone called the LAPD saying a Halloween party in the neighborhood was too noisy. A black cop shows up to what turns out to be a costume party. A Black tv actor dressed as a gangster sees the cop and pulls out a fake gun and points it at him, thinking the cop was a party goer dressed as a cop. So the cop shoots him dead. Autopsy said he was shot in the back.

Everyone here in LA knew if the cop was white there was going to be another riot and if he was black nothing would happen. Everyone went inside and locked the doors and got ready for a riot. The next day it came out the cop who shot the black guy was black. After that the whole thing disappears from the news. Blacks don't care if a black cop shoots a black guy.

Here in LA we all knew that if the cop was white we would be in for another round of lectures about how whites think all blacks are criminals and thats why this happened.

Let's see what happens when the Mehserle comes down later this week. Oakland just laid off 80 cops, it could be like Thunderdome.

May be sainted Sean Bell(he of the "He was getting his life together" tripe as he dealt drugs in the PJs as his rap sheet readily showed) should've re-considered driving a car drunk into an NYPD detective. Had he done so, he might still be alive.

There were tactical f-ups galore that night. But the most impactful variable that led to Sean Bell's death was the actions of Sean Bell. Also his friends drunkenly bragging how they were going to shoot someone in earshot of an undercover cop wasn't the smartest thing to do in any situation.

As to the white/black thing; the NYPD team involved had black,Latino and various ethnic white guys on it. While I think diversity is less important than professionalism, NYPD today is arguably more diverse than Congress, the Supreme Court or the New York Times.

50 shots.....SMH

R.I.P. Sean Bell

If I drive a car at you and you have a 15-16 shot Glock 9MM pistol, you are legally entitled to keep firing off rounds until I stop. Further, if you are moderately and competently trained to use that weapon you will get off all of those rounds in less that 65 seconds, and concievably should be able to reload another magazine with another stack within 30 seconds of that. And all of the people with you if so armed and so trained could easily do that too.

It's not that complicated; don't drive your car with a load on into a cop. This will be your best assurance of not catching 9 MM slugs in your various body parts.

Added benefit; said drug dealer is no longer selling poison to kids.

"The blacks"? lmao. You might as well have just said "colored people" or something lol. That was so 1950 just now.

To my point though, how do you know that black people said nothing? did you speak to any black people during that time? To say that shows me two things, one that you havent spoken to all black people during that time because you certainly missed me, and two you think that black people are represented through a small group of black people called "the blacks" that go on tv and speak on behalf of all black people or something. It doesnt quite work like that bro.

Question, did YOU say anything on the killings? Figuring that its not a pigmentation thing, you should have been appalled by the mistreatment from the department toward these people. Or am I wrong and it was just politics for you too?

Guys, some of you got to ease up on the police. Yeah, some are bad apples, just like in any other profession. But, for the most part, thank god they're out there protecting our asses.

There are a zillion stories out there of good police work (beyond their job description) that never get published. It's too bad there's a rush to judgement that "all" PO's are scum because every once in awhile a negative story gets the public eye.

I'll ease up on the police when they ease up on how they treat people. And no im not saying that its every cop on the street, however, theres enough f'ed up cops out there for myself and many others to be able to generalize.

If I drive a car at you and you have a 15-16 shot Glock 9MM pistol, you are legally entitled to keep firing off rounds until I stop. Further, if you are moderately and competently trained to use that weapon you will get off all of those rounds in less that 65 seconds, and concievably should be able to reload another magazine with another stack within 30 seconds of that. And all of the people with you if so armed and so trained could easily do that too.

It's not that complicated; don't drive your car with a load on into a cop. This will be your best assurance of not catching 9 MM slugs in your various body parts.

TacticalFacePalm.jpg

Picture for the first highlighted part of your statement.

And for your drug dealing statement. Maybe the cops should shoot up Bank of America, Wachovia and Wells Fargo. They're well off much more than some "said" drug dealer. The drugs have to be financed to get here right?

nAgf9u_Uxbs

Facts:

They had no guns

They tried to drive off when a plain clothed officer pulled a gun on them after they were just involved in an altercation. Would you really sit there if some one not dressed like a cop pulled a gun on you? Matter of fact if the cop heard them say they were going to get a gun, yet they got in the car to drive off....why did he pull a gun in the first place?

One cop had time to reload his weapon meanwhile not one cop took any fire since...they had no guns.

The judge discounted all of the witness testimony because of people having prior convictions. Keep in mind, almost all the testimony said the same thing, normally when people lie stories don't add up.

Facts:

They had no guns

They tried to drive off when a plain clothed officer pulled a gun on them after they were just involved in an altercation. Would you really sit there if some one not dressed like a cop pulled a gun on you? Matter of fact if the cop heard them say they were going to get a gun, yet they got in the car to drive off....why did he pull a gun in the first place?

One cop had time to reload his weapon meanwhile not one cop took any fire since...they had no guns.

The judge discounted all of the witness testimony because of people having prior convictions. Keep in mind, almost all the testimony said the same thing, normally when people lie stories don't add up.

Would readily concede the tactical plan for the vice team was bad to non-existent. BUT-

Facts-

Bell and his pals were inside a club where they had an altercation with another patron. The club was such a sheethole it attracted complaints about prostitution and drug-dealing from nearby residents and businesses, which led to an undercover cop being placed in there. Bell has prior arrests and convictions for drug dealing. As this altercation escalated one of Bell's party said out loud within earshot of the undercover cop there that they were going to get a gun to settle the matter. The undercover radioed his backup team with this information. Bell proceeded to leave the club and then drive right at a police detective who was ordering him to stop. And he refused to

stop despite numerous isntructions to do so. Bell's blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit. And the cop was ordering him to stop because based on all of the above he had reasonable belief that Bell and the car's occupants were involved in criminality, which is the whole idea of police work-stopping violent crime.

All of Bell's pals were in fact discounted due to their criminal records.The judge did determine that the cops did in fact identify themselves as cops and had their shields out, though Bell was probably so whacked he had no idea.

Remains to be seen that one of Bell's pals might very well have ahd a gun and fled in the commotion, but it's not a game of tag and ultimately irrelevant. Talking nonsense about shooting someone gave the cops probable cause for a car stop. Cops don't need to wait until they are shot before using their own weapons in self-defense if they had a good faith basis, which thes cops did. In fact, in Tampa 2 cops were killed a few days ago during a car stop in exactly that type of situation.

Would readily concede the tactical plan for the vice team was bad to non-existent. BUT-

Facts-

Bell and his pals were inside a club where they had an altercation with another patron. The club was such a sheethole it attracted complaints about prostitution and drug-dealing from nearby residents and businesses, which led to an undercover cop being placed in there. Bell has prior arrests and convictions for drug dealing. As this altercation escalated one of Bell's party said out loud within earshot of the undercover cop there that they were going to get a gun to settle the matter. The undercover radioed his backup team with this information. Bell proceeded to leave the club and then drive right at a police detective who was ordering him to stop. And he refused to

stop despite numerous isntructions to do so. Bell's blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit. And the cop was ordering him to stop because based on all of the above he had reasonable belief that Bell and the car's occupants were involved in criminality, which is the whole idea of police work-stopping violent crime.

All of Bell's pals were in fact discounted due to their criminal records.The judge did determine that the cops did in fact identify themselves as cops and had their shields out, though Bell was probably so whacked he had no idea.

Remains to be seen that one of Bell's pals might very well have ahd a gun and fled in the commotion, but it's not a game of tag and ultimately irrelevant. Talking nonsense about shooting someone gave the cops probable cause for a car stop. Cops don't need to wait until they are shot before using their own weapons in self-defense if they had a good faith basis, which thes cops did. In fact, in Tampa 2 cops were killed a few days ago during a car stop in exactly that type of situation.

Still no reason to reload your weapon, regardless what the undercover cop 'heard', did they ever find a gun?. Those cops lucked out by not having a jury trail, they should be in jail wearing knee pads IMO.

you havent spoken to all black people during that time because you certainly missed me

To be fair, were you even 10 years old when Dinkins was in office? I know you pride yourself on being informed, but I can't imagine you were that engrossed with such issues at that age.

Still no reason to reload your weapon, regardless what the undercover cop 'heard', did they ever find a gun?. Those cops lucked out by not having a jury trail, they should be in jail wearing knee pads IMO.

You do not need to find a gun, but you need to have a reasonable belief that your life or the lives of others or both are in danger in order to use deadly physical force. If a man you have been informed might have or being going to get a gun to shoot someone aims his 3000 lb. vehicle at you at a high rate of speed you can employ deadly physical force to defend yourself. Again, whether he has a gun or not is immaterial; this is not a game of hide&seek or tag. And part of that police belief was the behavior of Bell and his pas that led to this whole situation. Bragging drunkenly how you are about cap someone in the ass is a remarkably stupid thing to do, as is drivings drunk and refusing to stop when so instructed to do so by a cop. Had he stopped and merely been arrested for drunk driving Bell might have served 30 days in jail. Instead because of his actions he is dead.

About reloading; a well-trained shooter can empty a 9MM pistol and reload very quickly. If the threat was still ongoing as it was here there's no reason to stop firing untiul the threat stops driving at him.

Any defendant can choose a judge trial over a jury trial. There are instances which I could not reveal here where I have had civilian clients do that because for any number of reasons. Apparently you wish to give police a lesser set of rights than anyone else.

You do not need to find a gun, but you need to have a reasonable belief that your life or the lives of others or both are in danger in order to use deadly physical force. If a man you have been informed might have or being going to get a gun to shoot someone aims his 3000 lb. vehicle at you at a high rate of speed you can employ deadly physical force to defend yourself. Again, whether he has a gun or not is immaterial; this is not a game of hide&seek or tag. And part of that police belief was the behavior of Bell and his pas that led to this whole situation. Bragging drunkenly how you are about cap someone in the ass is a remarkably stupid thing to do, as is drivings drunk and refusing to stop when so instructed to do so by a cop. Had he stopped and merely been arrested for drunk driving Bell might have served 30 days in jail. Instead because of his actions he is dead.

About reloading; a well-trained shooter can empty a 9MM pistol and reload very quickly. If the threat was still ongoing as it was here there's no reason to stop firing untiul the threat stops driving at him.

Any defendant can choose a judge trial over a jury trial. There are instances which I could not reveal here where I have had civilian clients do that because for any number of reasons. Apparently you wish to give police a lesser set of rights than anyone else.

A lot of this is hearsay IMO, cops will say anything and their peers will back them up regardless, there was mixed views on what happened that night, but of course the courts will take the cops side.

An autopsy showed Bell was struck four times in the neck and torso.[26] Guzman (31 y.o.) was shot 19 times[27] and Benefield (23 y.o.), who was in the back seat, was hit three times.

I serious doubt the 'threat' was still going after being shot in the neck.....once, let alone 3 more times. I know, I know, cops have a dangerous job and we all should give them the benefit of the doubt. I know every one has the right to refuse a jury trial, and it saved these guys no doubt. Amadou Diallo wasn't armed either, but like you said, this isn't hide and seek, so justice is served.

Best unintentional semi-racist statement of June; Banner's 'The Black's' post or bitonti's 'Negro spirituals' post? Gotta be the latter right? At least that one came out of nowhere.

The unexpectedness of it was great, but IIRC a lot of anthropologists still refer to them as "Negro spirituals." And Banner gets extra points because his entire sentence was just terrific.

Somebody once told me "be the change you would like to see in this world".

I can't change you, but I can change me.

Is hating the cops going to change anything? How about contacting the mother of Sean Bell's kids, and see how they are doing. Maybe offer some help? Take the kids to a ballgame.

Do something positive instead of sitting on the internet spewing hatred. Or you'll just wind up like this freak

igD6yoZnVRk&feature=related

The unexpectedness of it was great, but IIRC a lot of anthropologists still refer to them as "Negro spirituals." And Banner gets extra points because his entire sentence was just terrific.

Not looking to start a fight---

But opposed to calling them what?

I don't see anything racist with the term "negro spirituals".

two things: number one, i'm sure the cops' lawyer came up with this, not him and sadly this is how it's done - you would use everything available to you to defend/defeat a lawsuit against you, as well. number two, it's possible the two sides were talking settlement on both claims when she filed her suit, meaning his only option was to counter-sue.

To be fair, were you even 10 years old when Dinkins was in office? I know you pride yourself on being informed, but I can't imagine you were that engrossed with such issues at that age.

Yes, I was 10-13yrs old when Dinkins was in office, and given the violence of NYC at the time you had to grow up VERY QUICKLY because your surroundings wouldnt let up on you because you were young. I'll admit, I wasnt as engrossed with the issues of society at that age, however, I had eyes to see and the impact of drugs, and police brutality were very close to me. Dont want to act like every person is a saint and the police are just out of pocket every single time. That wouldnt be true. But I remember the cops just snatching guys up whether right or wrong and driving them out to the bronx piers and beating their asses to a pulp so they didnt have to do paper work. Thats not right. I remember when the 41st precinct was called "Fort Apace" before they relocated from under the train station and they used to sell drugs in the community and call it "under cover work". Thats not right. I remember playing with water from the Johnny pumps and accidently wetting a cop driving pass in his car. He slammed on the brakes, got out the car and began to shout and intimidate me as if I was an adult. I mean this thick neck cop was furious and I had to be only like 6 or 7 years old. Luckily my father was on the corner and intervened.

I notice my pops arguing with this cop trying to tell him that it was a mistake from a child and because my pops was arguing with him the cop got into a position with his hand on his gun. I noticed my pops face, he seemed like he was pissed by the cops gesture, especially over water, yet had to swallow his pride and let the cop just run off at the mouth because for one I was there and this cop was obviously ready for some bullet to flesh action. You dont forget **** like that when you're a child. Cops intimidated people in the cities, as well as assumed that you were always doing something you werent supposed to which was later called "racial profiling". I never sold drugs in my life, I seen the catastrophe it had on my family and my friends family first hand, yet I could tell you numerous times how cops would just stop me with not reasonable cause just to search me, run my I.D. find no drugs, weapons or warrants and then tell "ME" to have a good day.

Depending on where you grew up will define the outlook you have for cops. I didnt really experience suburb living until I got to college and I can tell you that the cops out in suburbs are some of the most polite people you could meet, they speak "to" you not "at" you and they are rarely in the area too. You'll see more cops in a day on the boulevard than in a month in some of these suburbs. But thats when you notice that you dont see projects either, and the monetary situation is much different in these areas. As I grew up I began to notice the game being played its not a racial thing its a monetary control thing. I never been a racist as me hating white people but when you're young and the only interaction you have with white people are cops that will beat on you or shoot you or sell drugs in your area yet point fingers to us like we're the only drug dealers here kinda gave you a false point of view about the relationship between black and white people. Being able to go away for college showed me that there were alot of white people that knew what was going on in areas like mine. I was very grateful for that, because I knew that racial situations were some of the stupidest **** around yet I thought that I was the only one to understand that.

Anyway, the point of view of Cops whether good or bad is deserving because they provide enough info to back up either view.

"Them"? I think you get some points too.

"Spirituals" are songs that were created by slaves in the American South. "Them" is a personal pronoun used to refer to the plural objects of a sentence. If that's not enough for you, go get yourself a copy of Strunk & White because I really don't have time to fill in the rest of the blanks for you.

Archived