Revis Named Best Defensive Player in All of Team Sports

Bleedin Green

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's being reasonable, he just wants 1 cent more than whoever the highest paid defender in all of team sports currently is.
Ah, well he should also have to play back up goalie for the islanders for that too. :D

beat writer for the Steelers had an article yesterday about how they purposefully passed on Revis for this reason (they took Lawrence Timmons instead).

If you want the highest quality player, this is to be expected. If you want hard hat lunch pail guys, that's fine too but you can't have the highest quality player and also be a lunch pail guy. It doesn't work that way.

It's like saying I want to buy a Ferrari that gets good gas mileage and costs the same as a Kia. Expecting Darrelle Revis to comport himself like Jericho Cotchery is unrealistic.

beat writer for the Steelers had an article yesterday about how they purposefully passed on Revis for this reason (they took Lawrence Timmons instead).

If you want the highest quality player, this is to be expected. If you want hard hat lunch pail guys, that's fine too but you can't have the highest quality player and also be a lunch pail guy. It doesn't work that way.

It's like saying I want to buy a Ferrari that gets good gas mileage and costs the same as a Kia. Expecting Darrelle Revis to comport himself like Jericho Cotchery is unrealistic.

I don't disagree with your premise, but that article sounds a little sketchy, I'd be interested in reading it. I only say that because everyone was saying going into the draft that Revis was going to be the Steelers pick and they didn't pass on him, because he wasn't there. The Jets traded with Carolina one pick ahead of the Steelers to nab him, so clearly the Jets thought the Steelers were after him too. Maybe the Steelers would've taken Timmons over Revis anyway, but that's not what happened, so we'll never know.

I don't disagree with your premise, but that article sounds a little sketchy, I'd be interested in reading it. I only say that because everyone was saying going into the draft that Revis was going to be the Steelers pick and they didn't pass on him, because he wasn't there. The Jets traded with Carolina one pick ahead of the Steelers to nab him, so clearly the Jets thought the Steelers were after him too. Maybe the Steelers would've taken Timmons over Revis anyway, but that's not what happened, so we'll never know.

I was about to say the same thing...lol.

And also, are the Steelers honestly claiming they knew that Revis was gonig to be the best defender in all of team sports and demand to be paid like it? Is Nostradamus there GM?

The Steelers should (if they had a chance) have taken Revis. Whatever their reasoning was at the time doesn't change that.

The would have had one of, if not the best defense of all time with Revis in that line up instead of Timmon.

I was about to say the same thing...lol.

And also, are the Steelers honestly claiming they knew that Revis was gonig to be the best defender in all of team sports and demand to be paid like it? Is Nostradamus there GM?

Well the Steelers are perfect in every way. No way an organization like that would ever have a serial rapist for a QB. :rolleyes:

heres the pitt article

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_688039.html

also i fished his premium content out of the google cache from a few months ago

Here’s a PG Plus reader who remembers precisely that first Mike Tomlin draft in 2007:

YOU: Hi Ed , i read your transcript from yesterday’s chat and i seen something interesting . You had mentioned in the chat that even if Darrell Revis was still there when the Steelers picked 15th in the 2007 draft they would still have taken Lawrence Timmons over Revis . I remember Tomlin stating that the Steelers really liked Revis and some eyebrows were raised at the time that Tomlin would comment on Revis with the potential that the Steelers might draft him . It is always easier to look back than predict the future when it comes to draft picks . But i must say if the Steelers had indeed drafted Revis , the Steelers would not only still be in the playoffs but would be in great position to repeat as Champions . I will take Revis and Foote over Timmons and Gay and never look back . Timmons is a good linebacker and has glimpes of greatness . But Revis is such a beast . Something the Steelers are needing now badly . Foote never would have asked to be relased and still would be a Steeler this season .

Thanks for always answering our questions and doing the chats . Considering i live in Alexandria Va we dont get any Steeler news locally . So the PG is a lifesaver .

ME: You remember right. Tomlin was asked during his pre-draft news conference with Kevin Colbert about Darrelle Revis, who played at Pitt. He remarked just as you said and many took that to mean they would draft Revis. I was one of them because I picked him. The Jets moved ahead of the Steelers and drafted Revis and many thought that the Steelers then took Lawrence Timmons as their second choice. I learned later that it was going to be Timmons all the way. Mike Tomlin fell in love with him and he and Colbert drafted him. Looking back on it, I believe Tomlin merely was trying to throw off the scent and the Jets took the bait or else they would not have moved into the spot above the Steelers to draft Revis. Either way, the Jets made one good move that day.

It's easy to Monday Morning QB this, but what might have happened had the Steelers taken Revis instead of Timmons? Remember, Timmons played a mean nickel linebacker last season when they won the Super Bowl.

the steelers for whatever reason claim they never wanted Revis. Maybe it's revisionist history, or an outright lie. Or maybe they knew they would never be able to keep him beyond his rookie deal. Either way you'd think a team from NY wouldn't lose it's wallet when it comes to the best defender in all of sports... yet here we are.

He's being reasonable, he just wants 1 cent more than whoever the highest paid defender in all of team sports currently is.

+1

especially with him being the best defender of any sport. He figures if everyone but the NFL can see that then he might as well get paid for their obvious lack of vision.

Maybe if the Packers let passing offense score more than 29 TD's this year then Woodson will be a defending DPOTY. lol.

Rex Ryan is the scheme Revis just plays it well.. In 06 without Revis the Jets were 18th in Defense in 08 with Revis the Jets were 18th in defense. Whats the difference? Rex Ryan...

AND he's gotten better S-69..but remember those years when the Jets couldn't get OFF the field on any 3rd downs? That shiet drove me crazy

Lock Revis up now, and the Jets will keep him through his best seasons, rather than paying him big money just after his peak, which is what happens with so many free agents. Let him go in a couple of years, and he

F that...dont give him ****...let him play out his contract and get rid of his ass when he's on the decline.

F Darrelle Revis.

I hope we end up somewhere between that and giving him 1/3 of our allowable cap space, but him playing anywhere else would suck.

AND he's gotten better S-69..but remember those years when the Jets couldn't get OFF the field on any 3rd downs? That shiet drove me crazy

Again Rex brought in a system and some players.. Look I think Revis is a great player but some people are putting all the Jets D success on him I think thats stupid not to mention untrue..

Rex Ryan is the scheme Revis just plays it well.. In 06 without Revis the Jets were 18th in Defense in 08 with Revis the Jets were 18th in defense. Whats the difference? Rex Ryan...

I agree that Revis isn't the scheme. But good coaching puts great players in position to attain greatness. No player is great without coaching. Without Bill Walsh, where is Montana? Without Dungy's defense, is Manning wearing a ring right now?

Ryan builds his schemes around the strengths of his roster. Without Revis, the defense is nothing like what it was in 2010. Maybe not in the top 10. It's not Revis' fault that Mangini could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

I agree that Revis isn't the scheme. But good coaching puts great players in position to attain greatness. No player is great without coaching. Without Bill Walsh, where is Montana? Without Dungy's defense, is Manning wearing a ring right now?

Ryan builds his schemes around the strengths of his roster. Without Revis, the defense is nothing like what it was in 2010. Maybe not in the top 10. It's not Revis' fault that Mangini could not coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

I grant you that Revis is a great player but the sole reason they were number 1 last year??.. In 08 the Jets were a 29th pass defense and Revis was there.. Last year 1st and this was all Revis?? Sorry.. was he a big help? yes but the sole reason not for this fan.. If another top CB was on the roster we still make number 1 IMO.. We gave up 8 passing tds last year that's great but in 06 the Colt D only gave up 6 and Revis wasn't a Colt..

I grant you that Revis is a great player but the sole reason they were number 1 last year??.. In 08 the Jets were a 29th pass defense and Revis was there.. Last year 1st and this was all Revis?? Sorry.. was he a big help? yes but the sole reason not for this fan.. If another top CB was on the roster we still make number 1 IMO.. We gave up 8 passing tds last year that's great but in 06 the Colt D only gave up 6 and Revis wasn't a Colt..

The Jets had a terrible 4 man rush, an injury riddled secondary, an a piecemeal defensive line after Jenkins went down. I'm never going to discount the coaching job that Rex did in 2009. And if you put Aso or C. Woodson in Revis' place, it's possible we make the top 5.

But that's not the argument. Rex loves corners, and we had 1 that was dependable and then a laundry list of shoddy role players in the secondary. You can have all the faith in the world in Rex, but if Revis was, say, at the level of Champ Bailey right now, the Jets are not the top defense in the NFL in 2009. IMO ;)

The Jets had a terrible 4 man rush, an injury riddled secondary, an a piecemeal defensive line after Jenkins went down. I'm never going to discount the coaching job that Rex did in 2009. And if you put Aso or C. Woodson in Revis' place, it's possible we make the top 5.

But that's not the argument. Rex loves corners, and we had 1 that was dependable and then a laundry list of shoddy role players in the secondary. You can have all the faith in the world in Rex, but if Revis was, say, at the level of Champ Bailey right now, the Jets are not the top defense in the NFL in 2009. IMO ;)

Some fans said we would be toast if we lost either Jenkins or Leon we lost both and made the AFC Championship game.. I understand you probably think Revis walks on water but until I see him do it he will just be a great player in a great system led by Rex Ryan who is known for his great defenses..

Some fans said we would be toast if we lost either Jenkins or Leon we lost both and made the AFC Championship game.. I understand you probably think Revis walks on water but until I see him do it he will just be a great player in a great system led by Rex Ryan who is known for his great defenses..

You are using conventional football wisdom to give all the credit to a coach that runs an unconventional defense. Sweet.

The funny thing is that Rex had to put players in the box more often to compensate for the loss of Jenkins and had to rely on Revis that much more in single coverage.

You are using conventional football wisdom to give all the credit to a coach that runs an unconventional defense. Sweet.

The funny thing is that Rex had to put players in the box more often to compensate for the loss of Jenkins and had to rely on Revis that much more in single coverage.

Wisdom conventional or not is better then Idol worship which I see from so many Jet fans as far as Revis is concerned..

I agree with Savage here...I'm pretty damn sure this defense will be great without Revis...not the case if we dont have Rex Ryan.

And as far as who is more important to sign...we win without Revis, we dont win without Mangold or DBrick. Thats the bottom line. Revis might be the best player at his position or the best defensive player in all of team sports, but he's not even the most important player on the Jets.

I agree with Savage here...I'm pretty damn sure this defense will be great without Revis...not the case if we dont have Rex Ryan.

And as far as who is more important to sign...we win without Revis, we dont win without Mangold or DBrick. Thats the bottom line. Revis might be the best player at his position or the best defensive player in all of team sports, but he's not even the most important player on the Jets.

Good point but your overlooking one very important fact.. What about baby Crusher's Revis Pro Bowl jersey? Bad enough the poor little lad owns 8 jersey's of which Cotchery is the only one still on the team. What about the childrens JiF? The children?

Good point but your overlooking one very important fact.. What about baby Crusher's Revis Pro Bowl jersey? Bad enough the poor little lad owns 8 jersey's of which Cotchery is the only one still on the team. What about the childrens JiF? The children?

Sorry MT, Baby Crusher comes first. We should resign all those former players just to make his jersey collection relevant again.

L<3VE

Archived