Revis Named Best Defensive Player in All of Team Sports

Bleedin Green

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point but your overlooking one very important fact.. What about baby Crusher's Revis Pro Bowl jersey? Bad enough the poor little lad owns 8 jersey's of which Cotchery is the only one still on the team. What about the childrens JiF? The children?

Here's a better idea why not have just Crusher on the back of the jersey?? Or for the baby lil Crusher?? That way you support the team and no matter who the player is your never out of style.. When your a adult wearing another mans name on you back is a bit Gay.. Unless your Max who is used to having another man behind him or on his back..;)

I agree with Savage here...I'm pretty damn sure this defense will be great without Revis...not the case if we dont have Rex Ryan.

No way, really?

F that...dont give him ****...let him play out his contract and get rid of his ass when he's on the decline.

F Darrelle Revis.

Again Rex brought in a system and some players.. Look I think Revis is a great player but some people are putting all the Jets D success on him I think thats stupid not to mention untrue..

+1,000,000

This whole "zomg we couldn't survive without Revis" crap has ground my gears. I have half a mind to trade Revis just to show that this D isn't a one man show. The guy's a great young talent...but he's not the *****in shoo in to the HOF that he's portrayed as. This Revis situation is delicate and shouldn't end with "just pay him because it's Revis." That's dumb.

:face:

You don't just let hall of fame talent go like that.

Agreed completely. Has there ever been a time in Jets history when we could say we had the best player in the NFL at his position on our roster?

Who said anything about letting him go? He's got 3 years left on his contract. Let him play it out and then talk.

I'm sorry, paying someone for one amazing year is stupid. Flat out stupid. Revis wasnt this HOF player you speak of till Rex came along.

Who said anything about letting him go? He's got 3 years left on his contract. Let him play it out and then talk.

I'm sorry, paying someone for one amazing year is stupid. Flat out stupid. Revis wasnt this HOF player you speak of till Rex came along.

We paid Pennington for 12 games.

Don't you think he improved without Rex from his 2nd to 3rd year in the league? I think Revis would have been almost as great if Mangini was still here.

We paid Pennington for 12 games.

LOL. My point exactly.

Don't you think he improved without Rex from his 2nd to 3rd year in the league? I think Revis would have been almost as great if Mangini was still here.

IDK, how can you possibly make that determination. I think its got more to do with Rex than it does with Revis...but its impossible to really tell without seeing him every day to see how much he improved on his own.

I completely disagree that he would have had the same season with Mangini...thats asinine...Rex brought the system and Revis thrived. Also didnt hurt that we added pieces to the D that made us better which always helps out the CB, but still...no way Revis is being talked about as the greatest defender in team sports without Rex Ryan. No way.

I completely disagree that he would have had the same season with Mangini...thats asinine...Rex brought the system and Revis thrived.

there is no "system" that helps Revis. His job is to follow the 1 WR from side to side and man-up. That's it. No safety help no double teams. How does a defensive system help revis? He's out on an Island. Hence the nickname. Revis could be out on an island in any defensive system it doesn't help Revis. It helps the defense.

there is no "system" that helps Revis. His job is to follow the 1 WR from side to side and man-up. That's it. No safety help no double teams. How does a defensive system help revis? He's out on an Island. Hence the nickname. Revis could be out on an island in any defensive system it doesn't help Revis. It helps the defense.

If you have journeyman CB's on the other side and mediocre safty play he has way fewer passes thrown his way to actually have to defend.

I could make an argument that signing Cromartie should get Revis more pay since he actually might have to defend more passes.

+1,000,000

This whole "zomg we couldn't survive without Revis" crap has ground my gears. I have half a mind to trade Revis just to show that this D isn't a one man show.

be careful what you wish for.

-there is no trade deal under the sun that is fair for DR. DR for payton manning favors the Colts... because of Revis's age and rarity. There are more franchise QBs than there are lockdown CBs.

-NO the Jets would not be an elite defense without Revis. They might "survive" without him... do you want to see 8-8?

If you have journeyman CB's on the other side and mediocre safty play he has way fewer passes thrown his way.

In theory maybe not really in practice.

Lets say the Jets are playing the Texans. Is Schaub just gonna forget about Andre Johnson? Feed kevin walter all day? It doesn't happen. They pay the #1 WR big money they won't just shelve him. They have to at least attempt to get the ball in the hands of the playmaker.

-there is no trade deal under the sun that is fair for DR. DR for payton manning favors the Colts... because of Revis's age and rarity. There are more franchise QBs than there are lockdown CBs.

-NO the Jets would not be an elite defense without Revis. They might "survive" without him... do you want to see 8-8?

With Wilson and Cro and an elite end like Ware we might be better? We might be better with Wilson, Cro and Palumola? Two good CB's might be better than one great one and a journeyman?

This is not black and white at all. One thing that is black and white is if you tie up all your money on a lock down CB you will create other holes all over the place if we get a reasonable cap negiotation between the Union and the League.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and hell no. Peyton Manning on this club almost automatically would make us Super Bowl favorites, Revis or no Revis.

Also, if Rex Ryan is the super genius he's painted as then his D shouldn't (and doesn't) revolve around any one player.

I'll put it this way...the Cowboys wouldn't trade Ware for Revis straight up...the Vikings wouldn't trade Allen or K. Williams for Revis straight up...Revis couldn't get Seymour in his prime...I'd trade Revis straight up for Ngata or Wilfork...the guy's got the chance to be a great player but his greatness as it stands now just screams of being exaggerated/overstated.

No, Revis was a 3rd year Pro Bowl player before Rex came along. And then he became the best corner in the league under Rex. Look at the list of HOF inductees and count how many weren't influenced by great coaching.

This whole "zomg we couldn't survive without Revis" crap has ground my gears.

Where did anyone say we wouldn't survive without Revis? We're talking about being the #1 defense. The Jets would certainly survive with a replacement corner of Pro Bowl caliber. But who cares about surviving? I want the best defense ever. And when you have a DC who values corners as highly as Rex does in his defense, from the man's own lips, then the best corner in the game is a valuable commodity.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, and hell no.

Also, if Rex Ryan is the super genius he's painted as then his D shouldn't (and doesn't) revolve around any one player.

have you ever seen a Rex Ryan defense without a shut down corner?

With Wilson and Cro and an elite end like Ware we might be better? We might be better with Wilson, Cro and Palumola? Two good CB's might be better than one great one and a journeyman?

Probably not. Cro has injury concerns and is a complete ??? at this point. The last time he played real football he looked like garbage.

Polumalu has a scarier injury history than Brodney Pool.

Ware is great but he can't go 1-on-1 with Andre Johnson all game.

Revis really is the best defender in the NFL.

have you ever seen a Rex Ryan defense without a shut down corner?

Sure...the '06 Ravens D didn't have anything special at their corners. McCallister and Rolle had good seasons sure, but they weren't dominant or anything.

Front 7 play matters so much more...even with the NFL being so passing friendly.

I just don't believe this D or team would fall apart without Revis.

And Revis couldn't go 1-1 with Chris Samuels or other top tackles. That would be because no one would ask a CB to do that, just like no coach would ask a Ware to cover a Johnson.

If I'm starting a D today I'd start with Ware, Ngata, or Allen. No offense to Revis.

Sure...the '06 Ravens D didn't have anything special at their corners. McCallister and Rolle had good seasons sure, but they weren't dominant or anything.

You may not think so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets/post/_/id/636/jets-deep-patrol-secondary-to-none?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

For the record, Thurman considers the 2006 Baltimore Ravens the standard by which all of his secondary units are measured. That was an awesome defense that included S Ed Reed, S Dawan Landry, CB Chris McAlister and CB Samari Rolle as the starters in the secondary (combined interceptions: 19), with Corey Ivy as the top backup. The Ravens finished sixth in pass defense and No. 1 in total defense.

Probably not. Cro has injury concerns and is a complete ??? at this point. The last time he played real football he looked like garbage.

Polumalu has a scarier injury history than Brodney Pool.

Revis really is the best defender in the NFL.

Certainly the Saints D did a much better job against the Colts O than the Jets D did. 377 yards 3 TD's and no INT's and 17 second half points against a team possesing a lock down CB best defender in the league is a pretty good argument that having all your eggs in one basket isn't the best way to defend.

Manning was much less successful against the Saints D without the lock down CB than the Jets D with the lock down CB under similiar playoff pressure.

Total secondary play doesn't mean great individual play...Sheppard, Lowery, and Rhodes were part of our top pass D...who's calling their past season great?

McCallister's '06 is legit though so....yah.

Still, the biggest factor on that D's top season was the introduction of a little rookie by the name of Haloti Ngata...IMO. The Ravens' front 7 as a whole had a resurgence that year...it's the only season in the past 4 where Suggs has more than 8 sacks...Lewis had a come back year due to Ngata's presence...Scott also blew up...

Well we're not talking about getting Ware or Polamalu, who are nearly as rare as Revis. We're talking about Cro, Wilson, and the bunch of hit-or-miss draft choices we'd get in a deal for Revis.

Well we're not talking about getting Ware or Polamalu, who are nearly as rare as Revis. We're talking about Cro, Wilson, and the bunch of hit-or-miss draft choices we'd get in a deal for Revis.

And by not over paying for one guy we may be able to lock up Harris bring in another FA who can rush the QB and over all with the picks, Cro and Wilson be better than we would with one lock down CB.

We might even be able to sign our center and LT and protect our franchise QB?

Revis is a Hall of Fame talent. These players don't come along often (especially in Jet uniforms). What he did last year was remarkable, the dude didn't have a a bad quarter of football the entire year.

The Jets are going to have to pay him best defensive player in the NFL money, end of story. Dopey fans who want him traded are clueless.

Revis is a Hall of Fame talent. These players don't come along often (especially in Jet uniforms). What he did last year was remarkable, the dude didn't have a a bad quarter of football the entire year.

The Jets are going to have to pay him so, end of story. Dopey fans who want him traded are clueless.

Freeman McNeal and Al Toon were HOF talent also. Darrel Revis hasn't done enough to get into the HOF yet. Penny was a HOF talent for about 8 games in 02.

Freeman McNeal and Al Toon were HOF talent also. Darrel Revis hasn't done enough to get into the HOF yet. Penny was a HOF talent for about 8 games in 02.

It's not 1980 any longer.

Comparing anything Chad Pennington ever did to what Revis does is laughable.

It's not 1980 any longer.

Comparing anything Chad Pennington ever did to what Revis does is laughable.

Chad Pennington got a cap busting deal based on one season. Revis is under contract has had one great season and yet many of the brilliant football minds on this board think we should tear up that contract and pay him more money than any defender in football just because. Talk about laughable.

Chad Pennington got a cap busting deal based on one season. Revis is under contract has had one great season and yet many of the brilliant football minds on this board think we should tear up that contract and pay him more money than any defender in football just because. Talk about laughable.

You are obviously clueless, carry on.

The only reason anyone anywhere thinks that Revis' existing contract should be torn up an redone is because the Jets' FO approached Revis to tear up the contract and re-do it. That's the only reason any of this is happening. If Revis had just said 'Hey I'm not getting paid enough so I'm sitting out' and the Jets refused to negotiate and told him to honor his contract, like they have done with other players who have 2 or more years on their deal, things would be different.

I think it's probable that the Jets were the ones that didn't want that strict buyback guaranteed 20mil check paid out in 2011, and that they want his salary figures to be staggered a bit differently due to the CBA uncertainty and now both sides are just playing hardball to get what they want. And driving the fans to anger because both sides negotiate through the press.

But I think that Revis is going to get paid, and overpaid, with certainty. And once Tanny has the salary structured the way he likes it, the other pieces fall into place.

The only reason anyone anywhere thinks that Revis' existing contract should be torn up an redone is because the Jets' FO approached Revis to tear up the contract and re-do it. That's the only reason any of this is happening. If Revis had just said 'Hey I'm not getting paid enough so I'm sitting out' and the Jets refused to negotiate and told him to honor his contract, like they have done with other players who have 2 or more years on their deal, things would be different.

I think it's probable that the Jets were the ones that didn't want that strict buyback guaranteed 21mil check paid out in 2011, and that they want his salary figures to be staggered a bit differently due to the CBA uncertainty and now both sides are just playing hardball to get what they want. And driving the fans to anger because both sides negotiate through the press.

But I think that Revis is going to get paid, and overpaid, with certainty. And once Tanny has the salary structured the way he likes it, the other pieces fall into place.

I totally agree with you the Jets want to and need to restructure he's deal. That said I don't think he is entitled to get paid full market FA value because he isn't an FA.

If that's what its going to take to get a deal the team shouldn't do it.

I totally agree with you the Jets want to and need to restructure he's deal. That said I don't think he is entitled to get paid full market FA value because he isn't an FA.

If that's what its going to take to get a deal the team shouldn't do it.

The problem is that the Jets agreed to the opt-out clause. Revis can force his way either to a 20mil payday or free agency if they don't come to an agreement. And that's seems like the last thing that Tanny (20mil for '11 and '12) and Rex (free agency) want to see.

The problem is that the Jets agreed to the opt-out clause. Revis can force his way either to a 20mil payday or free agency if they don't come to an agreement. And that's seems like the last thing that Tanny (20mil for '11 and '12) and Rex (free agency) want to see.

I'm not so sure 20 million for the 2011/12 seasons is the last thing Tanny wants to see, especially considering that Revis is currently looking for 30+ million for those two years.

Archived