Baltimore Sun Scouts the Jets

flgreen

Baltimore Sun Scouts The Jets

great-british-events-flag_tiny.jpg by David_Wyatt on Jul 3, 2010 8:43 AM EDT

I always find it interesting to see how other publications view the Jets. Not national ones like ESPN, but your local teams who (in my opinion) seem to know what they are talking about more than the popular national media. Saying that, I came across a blog post from the Baltimore Sun newspaper today which looked at the Jets ahead of the week 1 clash.

So I thought I would post it up here for people to take a look at, anything you agree with or disagree with, let it be known.

Head coach

: Rex Ryan (11-8 overall record)

2009 record
: 9-7 (lost to
Indianapolis Colts
in AFC championship game)

Biggest addition
: Trading for WR
Santonio Holmes
. Even though he must serve a four-game suspension, Holmes is the perfect fit for a run-first offense that takes timely shots downfield.

Key loss
: RB
Thomas Jones
. The Jets will regret the decision to replace Jones with
LaDainian Tomlinson
. Sure,
Shonn Greene
will take an increased role, but Jones (1,402 rushing yards) will be sorely missed.

Question mark
: The Jets have to figure out how they will fill the void left by left guard
Alan Faneca
, who was released because of his high salary. An unproven lineman

Nothing new here. Santonio's the big addition, because he's got the name and there are fewer interweb jokes about him than Cormartie. Jones rushed for 1400 yards last year, LT is washed up, and Faneca's still an all pro, apparently.

I think 9-7 is a real possibility, but it has little to do with Ducasse or Tomlinson.

It's all about Sanchez.

The Jets' defense isn't going to sneak up on anyone this year, but the offense has to. They need quick strike capability, and they need to be able to score TD's in the two-minute drill. That's what separates the pretty good teams from the champions.

Vlad and Shonn will be able to continue the ground & pound, and the defense will be fine. It's the passing game that needs to take the next step.

Nothing new here. Santonio's the big addition, because he's got the name and there are fewer interweb jokes about him than Cormartie. Jones rushed for 1400 yards last year, LT is washed up, and Faneca's still an all pro, apparently.

I think 9-7 is a real possibility, but it has little to do with Ducasse or Tomlinson.

It's all about Sanchez.

The Jets' defense isn't going to sneak up on anyone this year, but the offense has to. They need quick strike capability, and they need to be able to score TD's in the two-minute drill. That's what separates the pretty good teams from the champions.

Vlad and Shonn will be able to continue the ground & pound, and the defense will be fine. It's the passing game that needs to take the next step.

Good post Slats, very succinct. I agree. I think the defense will be even better, with a higher level of comfort after a full year in the system and the additions of big Jenks, Cromartie, Taylor and Pool.

I'm so excited to have jenks back, one of my favorite Jets ever despite his brief time with the team. i don't expect Taylor to have huge numbers but unless tape shows he;s cooked, teams will still account for him on the edge and he'll have 6-7 sacks. Can't have too many pass rushers or corners in our defense. While Hollywood made a few plays and was a decent blitzer, I like have a more no-nonsense saftey back there. Also, Eric Smith proved he could be an asset last year.

It's all about Sanchez.

Spot on!

idiots!!!!!!

Once and for all, the Jets DID NOT replace TJ with LT. Greene replaced TJ. Unreal....

Very true, and these idiots never seem to take into account that TJ fell apart down the stretch and was invisible in the playoffs. Also, did they ever see Faneca in pass protection? I think their opinion is entirely on name recognition.

I will say this one more time. TJ had a VERY GOOD year, but take away his Buffalo game, almost 300 yds with 175 or so on 2 plays, he had a very average year. I am not trying to diminish his season, but I just don't see his loss as damning as many others do.

I will say this one more time. TJ had a VERY GOOD year, but take away his Buffalo game, almost 300 yds with 175 or so on 2 plays, he had a very average year. I am not trying to diminish his season, but I just don't see his loss as damning as many others do.

Just keep it 100, you are trying to diminish his season by making the point. He had an average year if you take away the Buffalo game. Its cool to say because its the truth. You can get that type of production from Greene if thats the case. I see your point.

IMO, I didnt think that Jones was going to provide another 1,400 yard season anyway. He's hitting the wall. There was nothing that worried me about Greene, except his injuries, which is understandable, he's still growing as a man and he'll put on that professional body mass. As for his fumbles, i'll blame that on rookie mistakes, because in college he didnt fumble once.

We'll be more than fine with our running game.

IMO, I didnt think that Jones was going to provide another 1,400 yard season anyway. He's hitting the wall. There was nothing that worried me about Greene, except his injuries, which is understandable, he's still growing as a man and he'll put on that professional body mass. As for his fumbles, i'll blame that on rookie mistakes, because in college he didnt fumble once.

We'll be more than fine with our running game.

I wanted the Jets to pay Jones, but I honestly think the biggest thing they lose with him is his leadership. He set an example in the weight room, and the players respected him. It's clear he hit a wall at the end of the year.

In LT, they gain the receiving out of the backfield that neither Greene nor TJ could provide. Maybe McKnight will eventually be able to -maybe even this year- but now the Jets don't have to rely on a rookie for that. Tomlinson serves as the goal line back and the change-of-pace back.

Greene seemed to have the fumbling problems under control down the stretch. He didn't fumble at all in the playoffs. I think the problem is compounded by the fact that the Jets lost all three of his fumbles - which really puts the spotlight on them. But the fact that he didn't fumble at all when the load was being put on his back in the high pressure situation of making and advancing in the playoffs makes me less concerned. I feel very good about him carrying the load between the 20's all year.

Very true, and these idiots never seem to take into account that TJ fell apart down the stretch and was invisible in the playoffs. Also, did they ever see Faneca in pass protection? I think their opinion is entirely on name recognition.

TJ was spent against the Colts. Just spent. The second that he had to carry the load in that game, it was over. I can't knock the Jets for moving in a different direction. LT is actually younger than TJ.

I wanted the Jets to pay Jones, but I honestly think the biggest thing they lose with him is his leadership. He set an example in the weight room, and the players respected him. It's clear he hit a wall at the end of the year.

In LT, they gain the receiving out of the backfield that neither Greene nor TJ could provide. Maybe McKnight will eventually be able to -maybe even this year- but now the Jets don't have to rely on a rookie for that. Tomlinson serves as the goal line back and the change-of-pace back.

Greene seemed to have the fumbling problems under control down the stretch. He didn't fumble at all in the playoffs. I think the problem is compounded by the fact that the Jets lost all three of his fumbles - which really puts the spotlight on them. But the fact that he didn't fumble at all when the load was being put on his back in the high pressure situation of making and advancing in the playoffs makes me less concerned. I feel very good about him carrying the load between the 20's all year.

I agree 100%. I would have liked the Jets to resign TJ but we all know going into his last contract he wasnt going to take "back-up" money, and the Jets weret going to give him 5 million to ride the bench. His leadership helped the Jets as a group establish a persence no doubt. But thats when you have others on this team step up.

We have Bart Scott...a mouth machine, Revis has been pretty vocal, Big Jinx will tell it like it is (I loved when Jinx basically told Scott and the rest of the D to "shut up until we prove it on the field" when we lost our first 3 games in a row) and we have a franchise QB that needs to be a vocal leader now as well. Sanchez had his first year of ups and downs but he ended with a very successful year overall. He needs to be the voice of that offense, not the running back IMO. And truth be told, he's stepped up in that role. He was the first to contact Holmes once the trade was made. He was also the first team mate to reachout to "Cro". He contacted Brandon Marshall for his birthday when he knew that the Jets were interested in him. Instead of taking a relative of his, he decided to take his "blind side protector" D'brick to the White House with him. Things like that lets me know that Sanchez really "gets it" and he understands that this is his team and it will be for the rest of his NFL career. The "Franchise" needs to be the vocal leader of that offense, not the running back...and thats no disrespect to Jones at all, but this is Sanchez team now.

The Jets will have a different presence, but I think it will be for the better. I do thank Jones for his contributions the past two years, because after his first year of just 1 TD people were REALLY down on dude and he proved alot of people wrong....maybe even some of his own teammates.

Biggest addition was Holmes. He's a better player than Cro. Cro might have been more of a need, but he plays like an utter *****. Hopefully this team will make him grow some balls, but his pusswahness is out there for all to see. Dont doubt that Rex would call him out on it and let him know thats not "Jets Football". Holmes is a stud. A proven stud. Mark will love him.

Biggest loss was Thomas Jones...unless you think it was Faneca or Rhodes...cuz we didnt really lose anyone else other than Leon but he's coming off a major injury. I think you could make an argument that all 3 are about equal. TJ is winding down, was more a product of the oline. Faneca was terrible in passing and great in the rush, but I like the idea of going young and think Vlad or Slausson will be fine between 2 studs in Mangold and DBrick. And as much flack as Rhodes got, he had his moments on the field. Probably the less of the 3 losses but still was part of the best pass D in the league.

Biggest question mark is Mark Sanchez. Like others have said, he's the difference between 9-7 or 12-4 with a team like this. We lost a lot of games last year that were close pretty much because of Mark, if he can avoid those games and win because of Mark, we will be a very very tough team to beat. You could argue RB as well. Is Green for real? Does LT have anything in the tank? And is McKnight really an NFL RB? I have my doubts on all 3, luckily RB is pretty easy to replace so I think Sanchez is still the biggest question.

Bottom line is, we were a 9-7 team last year and made a nice run. The Patriots have only lost the division once with a healthy Brady/BB combo. Until someone in the division proves they can dethrone them, I still see them winning the division. I think we will be a game better than last year, we have a tough schedule. We just need to take care of business in the division.

Is it me or is the Washington Redskin comparison a little off? I don't remember being able to sign UFA's or signing defensive tackles for 100 million dollars. Or the Skins being a half away from the Super Bowl in the Daniel Snyder Era. Am I wrong?

He works for a Baltimore newspaper, so I guess the only thing he can think to compare us to (since comparison is the easiest way to formulate an argument, apparently) is the Redskins. I wonder if he's also twenty two years old, since recent Redskin history is apparently his forte'.

Baltimore Sun Scouts The Jets

great-british-events-flag_tiny.jpg by David_Wyatt on Jul 3, 2010 8:43 AM EDT

I always find it interesting to see how other publications view the Jets. Not national ones like ESPN, but your local teams who (in my opinion) seem to know what they are talking about more than the popular national media. Saying that, I came across a blog post from the Baltimore Sun newspaper today which looked at the Jets ahead of the week 1 clash.

So I thought I would post it up here for people to take a look at, anything you agree with or disagree with, let it be known.

Head coach

: Rex Ryan (11-8 overall record)

2009 record
: 9-7 (lost to
Indianapolis Colts
in AFC championship game)

Biggest addition
: Trading for WR
Santonio Holmes
. Even though he must serve a four-game suspension, Holmes is the perfect fit for a run-first offense that takes timely shots downfield.

Key loss
: RB
Thomas Jones
. The Jets will regret the decision to replace Jones with
LaDainian Tomlinson
. Sure,
Shonn Greene
will take an increased role, but Jones (1,402 rushing yards) will be sorely missed.

Question mark
: The Jets have to figure out how they will fill the void left by left guard
Alan Faneca
, who was released because of his high salary. An unproven lineman

I think we are going to miss leon more than TJ, but at least they didn't bring up locker room chemistry being spoiled

this year comes down to the offensive passing attack making up for the running attacks losses, the defensive front 7 getting pressure without having to blitz, and the kicking game

westhoff needs to do the job of his life this year

Archived